Detective Pikachu came in mighty close winning the box office weekend but Endgame still has it's game!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts
  1. Pokemon Detective Pikachu - $103 million (new release)
  2. Avengers: Endgame - $63.0 Million
  3. The Hustle - $13.5 Million (new release)
  4. The Intruder - $6.6 Million
  5. Long Shot - $6.1 Million
  6. Poms - $5.1 Million (new release)
  7. Uglydolls - $3.9 Million
  8. Breakthrough - $2.4 Million
  9. Tolkien - $2.1 Million (new release)
  10. Captain Marvel - $1.8 Million

Detective Pikachu came very close to beating Endgame. I saw Detective Pikachu this past weekend, pretty good and recommended if you really like Pokemon that is. What's crazy about Detective Pikachu is that it has only made $10 million in Japan since opening there on the 3rd and $16 million in China this opening weekend. Detective Pikachu opened 3rd behind a Detective Conan film and Endgame.

The Hustle, didn't take an interest to say the least, but will watch it when it hits Red Box.

May 10-12 mojo's box office weekend

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I'll definitely check out Detective Pikachu at some point, but I don't think it will be a movie theater watch for me. I really don't know what I'll be seeing next on the big screen - maybe Toy Story 4.

As far as Avengers Endgame goes, I think it is on track to dethroning Avatar with all-time box office. It might take another week or two for Avatar to get dethroned, but it is very much on track.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

What's crazy about Detective Pikachu is that it has only made $10 million in Japan since opening there on the 3rd and $16 million in China this opening weekend. Detective Pikachu opened 3rd behind a Detective Conan film and Endgame.

Well, the sequel has already greenlit, and I think the studio knew the competition was going to be tough--it did open a few weeks after Endgame. But between the positive word of mouth, and the highest opening for a movie based on a video game IP--as well as a $170 mil take worldwide--Warner Bros is happy overall. I think it'll enjoy a nice bump come the home video release, as it'll be near the release date for upcoming Switch game this fall.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

Detective Pikachu did at least beat Endgame in terms of per-theater average at the North American box office:

Solid Opening for ‘Detective Pikachu’ as ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Rolls On

According to Comscore, which compiles box-office data, “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” actually did slightly better per theater than “Avengers: Endgame.” “Pikachu” sold an average of $13,803 in tickets at each of its 4,202 locations, while “Endgame” averaged $13,525 at 4,662 American theaters.

As for the international box office, Detective Pikachu came out on top, ahead of Endgame:

'Detective Pikachu' Delivers Record Opening for a Video Game Adaptation as 'Endgame' Tops $700M

Internationally, Detective Pikachu delivered an estimated $103 million this weekend for a running overseas cume that now totals $112.4 million after opening in Japan last weekend where it has brought in nearly $13 million so far. The film's international performance is led by this weekend's opening in China where it has already brought in nearly $41 million. Additional openings include UK ($6.6m), Germany ($5.0m), Mexico ($4.97m), France ($4.8m), Australia ($3.5m), Korea ($3.2m), Italy ($2.8m), Spain ($2.2m), Indonesia ($2.14m) and Taiwan ($2.06m). The next major market release is Russia where the film will open on May 16.

It's worth noting that the Japanese box office has a history of rejecting Hollywood adaptations of Japanese IPs. So DP has actually done pretty well in Japan. It's also worth noting that Japan is a "legs" market rather than an "opening" market, the opposite of China. In Japan, movies usually have lower openings but longer legs. So the hope is that DP legs it out in Japan.

As for China, DP performed as expected there. It was expected to gross around $40M, which is roughly what it delivered.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jag85

@davillain- said:

Detective Pikachu came very close to beating Endgame. I saw Detective Pikachu this past weekend, pretty good and recommended if you really like Pokemon that is. What's crazy about Detective Pikachu is that it has only made $10 million in Japan since opening there on the 3rd and $16 million in China this opening weekend. Detective Pikachu opened 3rd behind a Detective Conan film and Endgame.

You might want to correct those numbers, as they're a few days behind. I've posted the updated figures above. As of this weekend, DP has grossed $13 million in Japan and $41 million in China.

The competition from Detective Conan definitely hurt Detective Pikachu in Japan, since they're both mystery movies with similar titles. Detective Conan is a box office juggernaut in Japan, topping the annual box office there in 2017, and coming second in 2018 (behind only Bohemian Rhapsody). But compared to previous Hollywood adaptations of Japanese games and anime, which all bombed in Japan, DP has done pretty well in Japan.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@jaydan: " I really don't know what I'll be seeing next on the big screen - maybe Toy Story 4."

Whats it about again?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85 said:
@davillain- said:

You might want to correct those numbers, as they're a few days behind. I've posted the updated figures above. As of this weekend, DP has grossed $13 million in Japan and $41 million in China.

The competition from Detective Conan definitely hurt Detective Pikachu in Japan, since they're both mystery movies with similar titles. Detective Conan is a box office juggernaut in Japan, topping the annual box office there in 2017, and coming second in 2018 (behind only Bohemian Rhapsody). But compared to previous Hollywood adaptations of Japanese games and anime, which all bombed in Japan, DP has done pretty well in Japan.

Thanks, I update the OP. I must admit, those numbers are really astounding coming from Internationally.

@PSP107 said:

@jaydan: " I really don't know what I'll be seeing next on the big screen - maybe Toy Story 4."

Whats it about again?

It's the sequel to Toy Story 3 which by the way, we all thought this was the true final Toy Story series but it seems Pixar wants to make easy money by milking this franchise to all it's worth and it didn't need a sequel because Toy Story 3 ended well saying goodbye to Andy.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
@PSP107 said:

Whats it about again?

Loading Video...

@davillain- Don't be so quick to make a cynical assertion like that. For all we know, it can actually turn out to be very good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@jaydan: I'm not saying it's gonna be crap, just feel like Pixar is milking this. I rather have another A Bug's Life then Toy Story if I'm being honest. Of course I'm gonna go see it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan

@davillain-: Toy Story is their baby. I know Pixar has been tainted by the Disney machine over the years (the largest reason why Pixar started doing sequels in the first place, because Disney pressured them to do them); I am certain Pixar is very well aware just how important Toy Story is to both the studio and cinema culture - they know many people thought Toy Story 3 was the proper conclusion - and with all those odds I'm sure Pixar is not willing to let people down with this one.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@jaydan: @davillain-:

After 3, I instantly figured the 4th would be Woody and the gang traveling to see Andy's wedding.

And Andy's offsprings would be the new owners of the toys.

I hope by Toy Story 6 we will get a update on Sid from the 1st movie.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jag85

@davillain- said:
@Jag85 said:
@davillain- said:

Thanks, I update the OP. I must admit, those numbers are really astounding coming from Internationally.

I meant the China and Japan numbers need to be corrected (to $41M and $13M, respectively), not the North America numbers. In North America, Endgame came out on top with $63M, beating DP's $58M. But in international markets (outside North America), DP came out on top with $103M (or $112M including 5-day total), beating Endgame's $102M.

International box office:

1. "Pokémon Detective Pikachu," $103 million.

2. "Avengers: Endgame," $102.3 million.

3. "The Hustle," $13.7 million.

4. "Capernaum," $8.3 million.

5. "Mom," $5.6 million.

6. "We'll End Up Together," $5.1 million.

7. "Miss & Mrs. Cops," $4.2 million.

8. "The Curse of La Llorona," $3.5 million.

9. "Pet Semetary," $2.4 million.

10. "Sweet Family," $2.2 million.