Deer Hunting question...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FastNorwegian
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Well, i have been a citizen for a full year now, and am positive about hunting deer (rifle, not muzzleloader)

I have a few questions, and am quite curious to know some of these...live in Pennsylvannia if it helps.

• How long must I be a citizen to own/buy a rifle.
  • I plan to get the licenses to buy assault weapons(hopefully before they are banned :x ), those are just for shooting. About how much does this license cost?
  • During rifle season for deer, is there a certain calibre to use, or may I use whatever calbre rifle i choose, just as long as it is a basic rifle.

Cheers to the forefathers and the 2nd Amanmant!

supersnake930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 supersnake930
Member since 2008 • 1510 Posts
I live in Texas so idk if the same rules apply. but this really isnt the right place to ask. if i were you id go into a professional gun store or talk to a DPS Officer or Game Warden. they can provide the correct information you are looking for:)
Loporadaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Loporadaso
Member since 2008 • 396 Posts

Well, i have been a citizen for a full year now, and am positive about hunting deer (rifle, not muzzleloader)

I have a few questions, and am quite curious to know some of these...live in Pennsylvannia if it helps.

• How long must I be a citizen to own/buy a rifle.
  • I plan to get the licenses to buy assault weapons(hopefully before they are banned :x ), those are just for shooting. About how much does this license cost?
  • During rifle season for deer, is there a certain calibre to use, or may I use whatever calbre rifle i choose, just as long as it is a basic rifle.

Cheers to the forefathers and the 2nd Amanmant!

FastNorwegian

You don't have to be a citizen, you can buy a firearm as long as you have a green card. If you're a citizen you're perfectly entitled to go out and buy a firearm tomorrow if you wish.

Assault weapons, which are defined as full auto firearms, are illegal, and have been since 1986. Those that were owned before the 1986 ban can still be owned by civilians, but they are EXTREMELY expensive. There are a few ways to get new full auto firearms, but they are not for your average person. You could become a Class 3 firearms dealer, or a registered manufacturer for example. I'm assuming when you say "assault weapons" you're really refering to semi auto rifles such as an AR-15. Please do not refer to them as "assault weapons", it is frowned upon to do so by the shooting community, as this is not an accurate description of what they are. You do not need a license to own a semi auto rifle such as an AR-15, you just need to be able to pass a backround check.

As for what to use for deer, some states have a minimum caliber that you can use. Generally I recommend getting a something like a Remington or a Savage chambered in .308. The .308 has plenty of power for taking deer and exceeds any minimum caliber requirements there may be in PA, it is commonly available and has a huge variety of loadings and bullet weights available for it.

PM me if you have any more questions. Also, GS really isn't the place to be looking for advice on something like this. You should head over to www.glocktalk.com and join. There are a huge group of very knowledgeable people there who will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.

Edit: Also, believe nothing you are told in a gun store. Most experienced shooters will tell you that 95% of what you hear in there is pure BS.