Death Note live action remake coming to Netflix

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

INB4 all those Weeaboos, Otaku's, and "Everything must be Japanese" purist come in and have a fit about having a Japanese anime being westernized and live action

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

why does Light have blonde highlights? most importantly, why is L black? i don't care what race/ethnicity plays which characters, just make the character appearance close to the manga/anime

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I'd be hyped if this was a series and not a movie.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

@narutosup said:

why does Light have blonde highlights? most importantly, why is L black? i don't care what race/ethnicity plays which characters, just make the character appearance close to the manga/anime

Why do you care?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Can't tell much from teaser, but it looks like they are giving it good budgeting and the production values are there.. And I don't mind the actor they chose for the role.. I mean this is adaption.. If people are going to bitch about this, we can literally go hours in which the US and other countries has adapted stories and movies with their own view points across the world.. This is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.. With out the inspiration of movies like Bladerunner for instance, we wouldn't have Ghost in the Shell.

Why are people bothered by this?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

A Netflix Original film , ...... so ironic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@narutosup said:

Why do you care?

because I'm a fan of death note who prefer light to have his brunette hair and L to have his milky white skin & silky black hair

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@narutosup said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@narutosup said:

Why do you care?

because I'm a fan of death note who prefer light to have his brunette hair and L to have his milky white skin & silky black hair

LOL! It's just fiction, and deal with it!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@narutosup: I mean what you are arguing about is incredibly trivial things that have little to do with the actual story of the show..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@narutosup said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@narutosup said:

Why do you care?

i'll still watch it but but why is L black and whats up with light blonde highlights. at least they got light & misa skin tone right

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

@narutosup said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

i'll still watch it but but why is L black and whats up with light blonde highlights. at least they got light & misa skin tone right

It's called an adaption for a reason! Netflix is not entitled to follow everything what you read or watch on the Anime or Manga!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@sSubZerOo said:

@narutosup: I mean what you are arguing about is incredibly trivial things that have little to do with the actual story of the show..

L is an iconic character in death note, you don't change his physical appearance. i wouldn't be okay if they change hulk into a giant pink panda

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

@narutosup said:
@sSubZerOo said:

L is an iconic character in death note, you don't change his physical appearance. i wouldn't be okay if they change hulk into a giant pink panda

What if they made Bruce Banner was black?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@byof_america said:
@narutosup said:
@sSubZerOo said:

i will not be okay with that, but ill still watch it

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

@narutosup said:
@byof_america said:

Nick Fury had always been a Caucasian man in the Avengers comics, but now portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson and no one cares! Just throwing that out for you.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts
@narutosup said:

You tell em'!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@narutosup said:
@byof_america said:

Nick Fury had always been a Caucasian man in the Avengers comics, but now portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson and no one cares! Just throwing that out for you.

Quite a few people cared, very dumb people but dumb people are still people.

I never got the issue with changing a characters appearance when their appearance isn't vital to their character.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@narutosup said:

You tell em'!

Something I've noticed, and it's pretty cut and dry: it's only socially acceptable to be annoyed when you have white actors representing people who aren't white (see: Exodus: Gods and Kings). IIRC many liberals made a big stink about how white people were used to represent other races in that fictional story. Debacles like that are why we have terms like "whitewashing".

When you have black actors representing characters that were once other races, it's empowering, courageous, and you're racist if you care one iota.

It's a cute double standard. You're simply not allowed to have the opinion that you would just like the appearance of the actors to slightly reflect the source material.

Because you know...why not? "Cuz yah racist!"

Honestly, it just seems like a blatantly divisive way to go about things. It was annoying before I was aware of the agenda behind it, and now it's twice as annoying that I do know.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SOedipus

@KHAndAnime: There's even worse, like people getting mad at the fact that the lead role in Marvel's Iron Fist was white....even though in the comics...he's white. Just one of many that I've seen.

In fact, Iron Fist is unique among Marvel’s other superheroes that have made the leap to live-action in that making him, say, an Asian-American would have unequivocally improved him. Why? Because Iron Fist never should have been white in the first place.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

INB4 all those Weeaboos, Otaku's, and "Everything must be Japanese" purist come in and have a fit about having a Japanese anime being westernized and live action

The Death Note JPN movie wasn't really that great... stick to the anime. :P They've already done several anyway The Ring, & Dark Water? (I think)..DragonBall movie was by far the worst! :P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The Japanese movie was pretty good. We'll have to see how this US remake stacks up. The manga and anime are still the best though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

@KHAndAnime said:
@SOedipus said:
@narutosup said:

You tell em'!

Something I've noticed, and it's pretty cut and dry: it's only socially acceptable to be annoyed when you have white actors representing people who aren't white (see: Exodus: Gods and Kings). IIRC many liberals made a big stink about how white people were used to represent other races in that fictional story. Debacles like that are why we have terms like "whitewashing".

When you have black actors representing characters that were once other races, it's empowering, courageous, and you're racist if you care one iota.

It's a cute double standard. You're simply not allowed to have the opinion that you would just like the appearance of the actors to slightly reflect the source material.

Because you know...why not? "Cuz yah racist!"

Honestly, it just seems like a blatantly divisive way to go about things. It was annoying before I was aware of the agenda behind it, and now it's twice as annoying that I do know.

When SJWs whine about whitewashing, it's usually over leading roles.

When the alt-right whine about the reverse, it's usually over minor roles.

That's the difference. And it makes the alt-right look more pathetic in comparison.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

anime adaptations suck

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus

@Jag85: Bringing up the alt-right as usual. We missed you Jag.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I dont know how I feel about it. Something about the atmosphere didnt quite add up. But it definately could work.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@SOedipus said:

@KHAndAnime: There's even worse, like people getting mad at the fact that the lead role in Marvel's Iron Fist was white....even though in the comics...he's white. Just one of many that I've seen.

In fact, Iron Fist is unique among Marvel’s other superheroes that have made the leap to live-action in that making him, say, an Asian-American would have unequivocally improved him. Why? Because Iron Fist never should have been white in the first place.

This article about fixing Iron Fist is the worst I read. All they do is circle jerk how Lewis Tan is better than Finn Jones as Danny Rand. I don't care if Lewis can do his own stunts or even is "Asian enough to follow the culture" the show is fine the way it is and the story is very gripping.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SOedipus said:

This article about fixing Iron Fist is the worst I read. All they do is circle jerk how Lewis Tan is better than Finn Jones as Danny Rand. I don't care if Lewis can do his own stunts or even is "Asian enough to follow the culture" the show is fine the way it is and the story is very gripping.

If you're going to cast a martial arts character, make sure the actor is trained in martial arts. That's a legit criticism. That's why Hollywood martial arts movies often suck compared to Asian martial arts movies.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireEmblem_Man

@Jag85 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SOedipus said:

If you're going to cast a martial arts character, make sure the actor is trained in martial arts. That's a legit criticism. That's why Hollywood martial arts movies often suck compared to Asian martial arts movies.

I don't give 2 shits about it, the story was still good.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Looks decent. Will check out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Looks good. I don't know any of those people, but I do like Willem Defoe...but he is just voicing someone, a CGI character or narrator?

*also, really loving all the people pissed off about the alleged "whitewashing" (how is that term not racist, again?) of this franchise.

Nat Wolf - Jewish, male

Margaret Qualley - some white ballerina, woman

Keith Standfield - actor and musician, black

Paul Nakauchi - actor, asian (hey, a voice actor from a lot of video games, too!)

Willem Dafoe - actor, senior

Masi Oka - actor, Japanese

So, yeah...not really whitewashing. I mean yeah the lead is white. But we have a Jew, a black guy, a woman listed as the second credit (so we can assume she gets either equal to the first or the second most screen time), two asian actors, and Willem Dafoe is just a voice actor.

That's a lot more diversity than I see in most asian movies! I mean, look down below! I don't see ONE SINGLE WHITE or BLACK DUDE! I demand representation!

Loading Video...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SOedipus said:

Absolutely. Every show uses stunt doubles, but when you have to over-use them because your actor can't do jack themselves, or when you have to use 100 cuts per fight scene to hide the factor that your actor moves like a drunken sloth it breaks the immersion pretty quickly. Not every actor has to be a legit martial artist, but when the actors put in some work to make it look convincing it makes a big difference. Just look at Keanu Reeves in the Matrix/John Wick movies.

Loading Video...

I'm not a fan of whitewashing, but there's nothing wrong with an American remake of something from another country. It's not like they set the film in Japan and cast almost all white actors to play Japanese characters (cough, Ghost in the Shell, cough). While I'm not dying to see yet another retread of Death Note I'm also curious to see what a fresh perspective on it looks like. Some of the best shows on TV right now (Homeland, House of Cards) are remakes of shows from other countries.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

LOL.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#34  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@the_master_race said:

A Netflix Original film , ...... so ironic

Like when Netflix had the new season of Arrested Development. It was listed as a Netflix sorta original series, or something like that. It's odd to me how much they buy established ips, then make a show about the ip and call it a netflix original. Some higher up suit does not know what words mean.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I'm Black and even I don't like the idea of making L Black and this is coming from a guy who loves Anime and Death Note series. Look I'm NOT writing this Netflix off until I see the show, I just don't like some of the cast choices but however, I do like William Dafoe as Ryuko the Shinigami of the owner Death Note, he has the looks of Ryuko so that's something good I'll say but overall, appearances aside, l think this is doomed from the start. Light looks like a punk kid and in the manga, he was a genius. Misa meets him in high school and in the source material that isn't where they meet and she is someone famous not some stupid smoking cheerleader. They had a blueprint pretty much like how could they **** this up?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hillelslovak: Ummm...Not sure you know what it means lol. Can you watch the live action Death Note any place else other then netflix? No, then it's a Netflix original, not a hard concept to understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#37 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@vfighter said:

@hillelslovak: Ummm...Not sure you know what it means lol. Can you watch the live action Death Note any place else other then netflix? No, then it's a Netflix original, not a hard concept to understand.

Death Note is an already existing ip. The movie is based solely on that existing ip. By your line of reasoning, since Arrested Development season 4 is only on Netflix, Netflix AND the creators got the entire concept wrong when they promoted the series, calling it a Netflix Original (sorta) series.