Deaf woman hears for the first time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Incredible moment :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyECCMdlVFo

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Surgery has been done for. Few years where they install these vibrating things down your ears touching your drums.

Its pretty cool

Theres even a surgery where people who are legally blind where they go and attack somethi ng to your brian and you wear these special glasses connected and you be able to see the shapes and stuff. Its not what we see but they can see basically see outlines

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38672 Posts

awesome. imagine all of the sudden as an adult getting a new sense.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Its nice to hear good news for once.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I wonder if her ability to hear now is going to change her voice.

She has that distinct "deaf person" speech going on but I am really curious if now that she can hear if her speech is going to change as she can hear and be aware of her pitch and such now.

Either way, this is just example #986,263,734 of how epic modern medicine is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

She has that distinct "deaf person" speech going on but I am really curious if now that she can hear if her speech is going to change as she can hear and be aware of her pitch and such now.

It probably will, if not immediately. I remember watching one of these "deaf person hears for the first time" and after 5 or 10 minutes of having her entire family speaking to her, she tries speaking back to them, then stops and says (in sign language) "My voice sounds so stupid" so I think they immediately notice the difference between their speech and others.

Just watched the video, it really makes you feel grateful for what you have, even more so if you read the video's description and her own words.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

That was fking amazing

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LostProphetFLCL

@Korvus85 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

It probably will, if not immediately. I remember watching one of these "deaf person heard for the first time" and after 5 or 10 minutes of having her entire family speaking to her, she tries speaking back to them, then stops and says (in sign language) "My voice sounds so stupid" so I think they immediately notice the difference between their speech and others.

Just watched the video, it really makes you feel grateful for what you have, even more so if you read the video's description and her own words.

I am sure she notices the difference which is why I wonder if she is going to be able to consciously change her speech.

Yeah the video helps appreciate things. Personally, I have been working as a nursing assistant for the last few years and have seen plenty there to make me feel grateful of what I have in spite of the things I hate about my own health...

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL

BTW random thought, but I just realized that this process immediately gives her a golden job prospect. She could totally go get a job as a signer or a sign-language teacher!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I am sure she notices the difference which is why I wonder if she is going to be able to consciously change her speech.

Yeah the video helps appreciate things. Personally, I have been working as a nursing assistant for the last few years and have seen plenty there to make me feel grateful of what I have in spite of the things I hate about my own health...

Sorry, I'm at work so I didn't explain myself well enough. My point was, if their perception of the difference in speech is so immediate and negative, I'm sure they will make a conscious effort to "correct it", just like if you buy a language book and try to learn a language from it, then you make a trip to a country that speaks said language and think "crap, I've been pronouncing this all wrong". You notice it right away, then you start imitating, then you forget and pronounce it wrong again, until eventually it evens out.

And yeah, I work in physical therapy (have my own business but also do hospitals) and indeed you see a lot that makes you think "And here I am, in a bad mood just because my life isn't perfect...at least I'm not in a bed unable to move"

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@Korvus85 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Sorry, I'm at work so I didn't explain myself well enough. My point was, if their perception of the difference in speech is so immediate and negative, I'm sure they will make a conscious effort to "correct it", just like if you buy a language book and try to learn a language from it, then you make a trip to a country that speaks said language and think "crap, I've been pronouncing this all wrong". You notice it right away, then you start imitating, then you forget and pronounce it wrong again, until eventually it evens out.

And yeah, I work in physical therapy (have my own business but also do hospitals) and indeed you see a lot that makes you think "And here I am, in a bad mood just because my life isn't perfect...at least I'm not in a bed unable to move"

I was more just wondering exactly how MUCH control they have over their voice. She is 40 years old and has been speaking that way her whole life. That isn't an easy task....

Yeah I actually work in a rehab facility so I am right there with the PT's so I bet we have essentially seen the same stuff. Some tragic crap happens. Have seen some people who at younger ages essentially had their lives messed up out of nowhere...

Actually have a lady who is 47 right now who is battling fucking brain cancer and it is killing her short term memory. She is incredibly nice to which makes it extra sucky...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@LostProphetFLCL: I still think my "learning a new language" example fits with what you said. I know a few people (in their 60-70's) who are willing to learn a second language that's completely different from their native one.

At first they struggle and fight every little difference, and they can't even pronounce certain sounds that their native language doesn't have, but eventually they manage, and that's a whole new language, which I guess it's harder to adjust by being something completely new, but on the other hand it's sometimes easier to learn something entirely new than unlearn something you've known all your life.

In this case though, I'm mostly wondering how the sounds make any sense to her since she never heard them before. I just assumed she was lip reading and not really understanding the sounds, but in the text it says she's pretty much blind?

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

@platinumking320 said:

i see what you did there

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

If she can hear,
she's obviously not deaf.

#fakingit

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

@Trender_man said:

@platinumking320 said:

i see what you did there

We know! We're not blind!

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Just imagine how it must feel! It's like getting a perspective to a new world!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I can't help but feel it would have been hilarious if it had involved flatulence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6933395c33c
deactivated-5d6933395c33c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6933395c33c
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

Happy for her.

With technology advancing the way it does, hopefully sometime soon we'll be able to cure blindness as well.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I got an incredible amount of feels from watching that video.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

If this is her first time hearing then how does she know how to talk???

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@darkmark91 said:

If this is her first time hearing then how does she know how to talk???