DCEU Comic-Con face-off: Aquaman vs. Shazam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jaydan

Poll DCEU Comic-Con face-off: Aquaman vs. Shazam (7 votes)

Aquaman 57%
Shazam 43%

So Comic-Con was bigger for DC this year as expected. Marvel must have been having a rough week after the news broke out over James Gunn, but let's put that all aside for now and let's take a look at the two big upcoming DCEU films that got trailers this past weekend.

Aquaman

Shazam

DC has truly been getting their asses handed to them over efforts like Suicide Squad and Justice League, but I still hope they can change for the better.

Do you guys think after all the backlash of Justice League DC will finally get some sense in making quality films, and of the two big showings this year, which looks more promising to you, or is the DCEU forever doomed?

I think Shazam looks very promising. It looks like it could become a comic-relief over the grittiness of the rest of the DCEU.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Definitely Shazam

When I saw Black Manta I had to gag and pause the video for a sec.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Shazam looks fun. And I like Zachery Levi. He was really under used in the Thor movies.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50542 Posts

Godzilla shits on them both!

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

Shazam looks a little cringey...but it feels like its intended that way.

Aquaman is Water Wakanda. Complete with brothers vying for the throne. It looks great btw!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

Hard to pick. Aquaman looks more epic and visually impressive. Shazam looks funnier and more entertaining. But both look refreshingly different from DCEU's usual "dark and edgy" garbage.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

Aquaman trailer, it looks beautiful, that's for sure, but otherwise, I just thought it was good, nothing more or less. But of course, Aquaman trailer looks like Avatar + Black Panther = Aquaman is what I'm getting at. It's Wakanda in water. I trust James Wan way more than Snyder, so I'm on board with this Aquaman movie.

As for Shazam trailer, WOW! This one is a fresh of breath air, it's the origin from the Nu52 is what I'm looking forward to. If you asked me yesterday, I'd have say I'm much more excited for Aquaman than Shazam, but after these trailers Shazam has flipped it and now I'm way more excited for Shazam.

Overall, I'm gonna go see both of these films and I'm glad DC isn't chasing MCU anymore.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@davillain-: Yea Shazam! looks like a fresh breath of air. We haven't seen a concept of a boy that can turn into a grown superhero yet. It looks like it will have a fun comedic spin on itself.

I really do hope that DC is figuring their shit out, and this one does not seem to be nearly as gritty or obsessed with having to save the world from evil yet again as much as it seems interested in the character itself. That might be a good sign.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox

@jaydan said:

@davillain-: Yea Shazam! looks like a fresh breath of air. We haven't seen a concept of a boy that can turn into a grown superhero yet. It looks like it will have a fun comedic spin on itself.

I really do hope that DC is figuring their shit out, and this one does not seem to be nearly as gritty or obsessed with having to save the world from evil yet again as much as it seems interested in the character itself. That might be a good sign.

I mean, look at the Titans trailer to see that's not the case.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@jaydan said:

I mean, look at the Titans trailer to see that's not the case.

Lol Titans was cringeworthy, but I'm speaking for the movies not the shows.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Glass and Godzilla looked quite a bit better than both of these DCEU films.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox

@jaydan: Oh, thought it was s movie haha

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox

@zaryia: Godzilla especially looks ridiculous

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaryia

@Chutebox said:

@zaryia: Godzilla especially looks ridiculous

Yeah they didn't hold back, those monsters are just fucking insane. They made king ghidorah a straight up extinction level creature. His wing flags making country wiping storms.

Godzilla has to save the god damn earth, with fighter jets backing him. **** yes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox

@zaryia: You talking about the glowing wings? Pretty sure that was mothra if so

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I just can't get over how bad the costume and fake muscles look for Shazam. It just ruins it for me even though the rest of it looks really fun.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Shazam looks like it could be good. Aquaman looks like an incoming 40% RT.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

@vfighter said:

I just can't get over how bad the costume and fake muscles look for Shazam. It just ruins it for me even though the rest of it looks really fun.

The tone & muscles is exactly what it should be for a Shazam movie. This is as close as we'll ever gonna get to the custom however.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jag85
@zaryia said:

Glass is my most anticipated superhero movie, after waiting nearly two decades for an Unbreakable sequel.

As for Godzilla, not sure why it's being compared to superhero films. Kaiju monster films are a separate genre.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zaryia
@Jag85 said:
@zaryia said:

Glass is my most anticipated superhero movie, after waiting nearly two decades for an Unbreakable sequel.

As for Godzilla, not sure why it's being compared to superhero films. Kaiju monster films are a separate genre.

For Godzilla, I mean just as a more enjoyable film in general (probably). DCEU movies don't exactly have a good track record for script, editing, plot, acting, or even CGI at times, which is why they are generally panned and score low. IE: I have a feeling a film such as Godzilla could be better in all areas, regardless if they are in the same subgenre or not.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85

@zaryia: For what it's worth, when I used to watch those old Japanese Godzilla movies as a kid, I did used to see Godzilla as a kind of superhero, defending the Earth from evil monsters. That's the kind of vibe I get from the new Godzilla trailer.