Crunch on this problem gamers?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 dracos9000
Member since 2006 • 1318 Posts

Using the rules

1+00=00

2*00=00

-----------------------

An infinite number line is drawn and placed on the number line are an infinite amount of rational and irrational numbers.

Lets suppose that if a dart was thrown at the number line it would land on the number line.

Explain why the dart will more than likely land on an irrational number than a rational number.

Hints:

Z.IR

Alright good luck!

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
wow this makes me feel dumb :(
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

A rational number requires all numbers after the decimal point to be recurring or fractional, whereas irrational numbers require them not to be neither. There are an infinite number of spaces after the decimal point that the numbers 0-9 can occupy, but for the purpose of this example let us limit that number to 2.

n.00, n.11, n.22, n.33, n.44, n.55 etc. are the only rational numbers in this setup as 2 decimal places serve as the limit, thus n.01 for example does not count as recurring nor to be able to adopt the m/n fraction. (In reality of course n.01 would be rational, but for a number system with 2 decimal places as the outer limit we can letthis serve as being irrational)There are 10 possible rational values between n and n+1 in total.

n.01, n.02, n.03, n.04,... etc. count as irrational numbers for the purposes of this example, as reaching the 2nd decimal place serves as the furthest the number can go, (In reality this would be infinite)and serves as reaching infinity for this case. There are 89 possible irrational values between n and n+1 in total.

As an example with up to 4 possible decimal places there would be 100 possible rational values and 9899 irrational values. With up to 8 decimal places the number of possible rational numbers would be 10000 and number of possible irrational values would be 99989999.

Stretching the number of possible decimal places up to infinity (i.e. reality) there would always be infinitely more possible irrational numbers than rational numbers.

At least... that's what I reckon the answer is...:P

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Aargh. These are the sort of problems that drove Georg Cantor into a lunatic asylum. The set of rational numbers is "countably infinite", whereas the set of irrational numbers is "uncountably infinite". So the cardinality of the latter is inifinitely greater than the cardinality of the former, even though each set is infinite. Or something like that. :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Cantor

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Struggling with my assignments at university are making me feel stupid. This just makes me feel suicidal.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts
*hysterical laugh*
LS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 LS07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

I believe there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers

more possibilites=greater chance of being hit

dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dracos9000
Majority of you answered correctly but how are we able to determine the difference between the infinite amount of rational numbers and irrational numbers without counting. It is true that there are more irrational numbers than rational number using x=rational and 2x=irrational. What is this method called to determine the countable infinities?
firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

Majority of you answered correctly but how are we able to determine the difference between the infinite amount of rational numbers and irrational numbers without counting. It is true that there are more irrational numbers than rational number using x=rational and 2x=irrational. What is this method called to determine the countable infinities?dracos9000

it's called i got a C in algebra 2 :'[

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
correct answer: i wont be tricked into during your homework for you.
dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dracos9000

correct answer: i wont be tricked into during your homework for you.LoG-Sacrament

Lol this isnt homework I actually do stuff like this for fun. Odd isnt it? My real homework has to do with binary trees and sorting and searching them using the LNR,LRN, and NLR methods. The problem that this topic is about is a really small fraction of a 4000 level class called :Formal Languages, Grammar, and Automata.

Bobby_Oz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bobby_Oz
Member since 2004 • 4155 Posts

Case# 2,323:

"The math nerd that never knew a woman........."

dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dracos9000

Case# 2,323:

Bobby_Oz

I am so far away from being a math nerd. My buddy is actually a math nerd and he always gets women. Maybe I should become a math nerd but Im just into computers too much. I had 1gf long long ago, but thats about it. So take a crack at the problem.

KingPeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 KingPeru
Member since 2004 • 4613 Posts
the correct answer is pie.....apple pie
Bobby_Oz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bobby_Oz
Member since 2004 • 4155 Posts
[QUOTE="Bobby_Oz"]

Case# 2,323:

dracos9000

I am so far away from being a math nerd. My buddy is actually a math nerd and he always gets women. Maybe I should become a math nerd but Im just into computers too much. I had 1gf long long ago, but thats about it. So take a crack at the problem.

Never was any good at math actually. Computers though, heh. They dont pay me for nothing :)

dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dracos9000

the correct answer is pie.....apple pieKingPeru

pi is just an irrational number and doesnt prove how its possible to know that irrational numbers are far greater than rational numbers even though both are infinite.

Sweet_Lemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sweet_Lemon
Member since 2006 • 953 Posts

I know I wouldn't hit the number line and since imaginary numbers are, well, imaginary I would hit to the side and it would be imaginary.

AM I WINNAR?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]correct answer: i wont be tricked into during your homework for you.dracos9000

Lol this isnt homework I actually do stuff like this for fun. Odd isnt it? My real homework has to do with binary trees and sorting and searching them using the LNR,LRN, and NLR methods. The problem that this topic is about is a really small fraction of a 4000 level class called :Formal Languages, Grammar, and Automata.

so somebody gave you the right answer. thats nice to know.