Coworker scratched up my car at work...need advice.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

So I started training a new worker at my job and it was a smooth day. Where I work, it's just me and up to a couple of other people, so it's pretty much vital for me to be on good terms with my coworkers. This guy is into metal, drums with a death metal band that I listen to, and collects movies that I find interesting. So more or less, I figured we'd get along.

Well, things went smooth until the guy hit my car at the end of the day in the parking lot. He put three scrapes on the side of my car that are a little over a foot long. I wasn't sure at that moment if insurance would be the best route to take (and I'm still not sure), so I told him he could give me his insurance information over the phone later.

Basically I want the scrapes on my car fixed, but I want to do it in a way that's least painful for both my coworker and I. Would it be better to go get an estimate and ask for the cash up front? Or should I try to get his insurance information? I asked for his insurance info multiple times (just so I have it on hand) and he told me his dad has his insurance and said he'd get it for me later.... and he still hasn't gotten back to me with that information. I'm under the suspicion he doesn't have insurance. If he tells me that, I'm going to be less cool about the situation.

This guy already has a lot of friends at the job I work, so I don't want to drag the guy through mud trying to get this scratch fixed. My common sense told me to just let insurance take care of everything, but I've had multiple people tell me I should get an estimate and ask for the cash up front, so it doesn't raise his insurance too much. My problem with that is if he's giving me money - what difference does it make? Either it comes out of his wallet now, or his insurance over time later, wouldn't it make the most sense to just take it up with our insurance companies?

Unless of course he doesn't have insurance...then what? Just be cool with him lacking insurance and ask for the cash to cover the estimate? I don't know how I feel about this guy driving around uninsured...

I can post pictures of these scrapes if anyone feels like it would be helpful to post.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Offer him to pay for the damage, provide multiple quotes so he knows you aren't going to rip him off. Ask him if he'd prefer to go through insurance instead. Try to make it seem you're doing it for him, even if it's just a little.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I understand your concerns and the source of your indecisiveness, but I also don't think they're warranted here. The guy caused damage to your vehicle and based on the law and unequivocally straightforward and established social norms and human decency he will have to pay for the cost of fixing the damages. You already allowed him enough time to take the insurance route and from the looks of it he doesn't really intend to make use of that opportunity. My guess is that he figured you'd let go of it eventually. Its time to act decisively and just confront him with the matter head on. Tell him to either go the insurance route or pay you in cash and that whatever choice he makes it needs to go into effect NOW.

If you keep this up not only will it inevitably cause tension between the two of you in your workplace, but it will most likely deprive you of what's rightfully yours.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Declare war on him.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Wow, that's pretty shady that he's dodging you like that. Regardless of your relationship with him, he should at least have the decency to get you the info you need (if he has insurance at all, like you mentioned).

I don't think his rates will go up that much, unless he has a bad driving record of getting into accidents. What would I do? I'd be on him like flies on shit for that insurance information. He's got to be insured; no one would be that stupid to drive around with out it (right?) If his dad is in control of the info, then ask his dad to contact you or vise versa. He needs to understand that you want this taken care of pronto and he needs to stop being a turd about it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

First off always take photos of the damage to have a record of it, that way later if it (not saying it will) goes to court then you have a record and he can't claim you took a bat to the car or whatever.

If he doesn't have insurance then get your insurance to cover it if you have full coverage, the insurance company will then collect the money from him any way they can, not your issue. Chances are he doesn't have the spare money around to cover the kind of body work for 3 separate 1 foot long scratches and dents, so he's not going to pay that out of pocket. After all he just got his job, you're training him, do you know if he makes enough now to cover this?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

So I started training a new worker at my job and it was a smooth day. Where I work, it's just me and up to a couple of other people, so it's pretty much vital for me to be on good terms with my coworkers. This guy is into metal, drums with a death metal band that I listen to, and collects movies that I find interesting. So more or less, I figured we'd get along.

Well, things went smooth until the guy hit my car at the end of the day in the parking lot. He put three scrapes on the side of my car that are a little over a foot long. I wasn't sure at that moment if insurance would be the best route to take (and I'm still not sure), so I told him he could give me his insurance information over the phone later.

Basically I want the scrapes on my car fixed, but I want to do it in a way that's least painful for both my coworker and I. Would it be better to go get an estimate and ask for the cash up front? Or should I try to get his insurance information? I asked for his insurance info multiple times (just so I have it on hand) and he told me his dad has his insurance and said he'd get it for me later.... and he still hasn't gotten back to me with that information. I'm under the suspicion he doesn't have insurance. If he tells me that, I'm going to be less cool about the situation.

This guy already has a lot of friends at the job I work, so I don't want to drag the guy through mud trying to get this scratch fixed. My common sense told me to just let insurance take care of everything, but I've had multiple people tell me I should get an estimate and ask for the cash up front, so it doesn't raise his insurance too much. My problem with that is if he's giving me money - what difference does it make? Either it comes out of his wallet now, or his insurance over time later, wouldn't it make the most sense to just take it up with our insurance companies?

Unless of course he doesn't have insurance...then what? Just be cool with him lacking insurance and ask for the cash to cover the estimate? I don't know how I feel about this guy driving around uninsured...

I can post pictures of these scrapes if anyone feels like it would be helpful to post.

If you can get it done without using insurance that would be the way to go. It'll be cheaper for him in the long-run to just pay you to get the damage fixed.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Turn the info into your insurance company and let them deal with his insurance if he has it. If you avoid the insurance....you will probably end up paying for it yourself. And it's expensive.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

This is why you don't become attached to your co-workers, it clouds your judgement.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

By the sound of it I doubt the guy has enough disposable income to pay for the damage. Stop making this more difficult than it needs to be and report it to your own insurance company. They'll do the work of getting his info...

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Sounds like someone's car won a date with a key.

Call your insurance company, or pay for it yourself, at this point your coworker will just deny or lie about who was moving. A foot long scratch, if it's located on one panel. Can sometimes be wet sanded out, if it is too deep, you are looking at 800 to less than 1500 to repaint and match.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@junglist101 said:

By the sound of it I doubt the guy has enough disposable income to pay for the damage. Stop making this more difficult than it needs to be and report it to your own insurance company. They'll do the work of getting his info...

I've never heard of someone reporting damages to insurance without getting the other person's insurance information. If this is actually an option, then yes, it's easier than I'm making it out to be. Nothing wrong with doing research though so I can make an informed decision regarding the situation, I don't want to **** myself over or himself over through ignorance. Of course, if someone has to get fucked over - better it be him than me.

But like I said - never heard of anyone doing that before. I managed to catch the guy yesterday by his car and asked him if he could give me his insurance information - he scavenged through his car and couldn't find any insurance information, and claimed he thought he placed it in the car his previous night.

At this point I'm fairly certain in my speculation that the guy doesn't even have insurance. I don't think his offer of $50-$100 will cover it either.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Set his car on fire

That will teach him

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Take pictures of everything to make sure you can prove what happened so he has no deniability. Document as well. Go out and get a few professional estimates as evidence as well.

The guy might be cool and a good worker and it seems you're a nice guy so you don't want to make the hard choice but from the sound of it he isn't much of a friend or coworker because if he was he wouldn't leave you high and dry wondering what to do without offending him.

Maybe try to work out a payment plan with him but make sure there is a recorded verbal agreement and a signed and notarized agreement. Use the insurance and your legal options as an ultimatum if he doesn't comply. I get you don't want to be that guy but you have to take care of yourself first.

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

I have gotten several speeding tickets and Ive also been in a small accident, and my insurance never went up.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Bomb his car that ill teach em