This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#1 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Been eating a lot of it lately, and it's all fun and games until you feel judged for dabbing a piece in ketchup. Why is that such a faux pas? And how do you like yours cooked? I go medium rare.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

"Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me, the shootings, the knifings, the beatings, old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks... Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hotdogs. Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

-Dirty Harry

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: "Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

I do, and I'm a Chicagoan. This Dirty Harry better calm down.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 br0kenrabbit

@PSP107 said:

Well, at least you aren't like my brother: mayonnaise on hotdogs. Just mayonnaise. On hamburgers too, again, just mayonnaise, extra mayonnaise.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i am not really a fan of stakes

i stick to chicken or minced meat(no pork)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: Mayo is great on burgers, never tried it on a hotdog but now I kinda want to.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Not a fan of steaks. Its not because i'm indian, i don't like steaks. Chicken for meat anyday :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Same :)

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit

@vfighter said:

@br0kenrabbit: Mayo is great on burgers, never tried it on a hotdog but now I kinda want to.

With ketchup sure but by itself? Ugh. And only mayo? Seriously, no lettuce, onion, tomato, or anything. Meat, bread, mayo.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

I like beef, but it has to be good beef. I'm kind of a snob now, so I need to go to a good butcher and get me some prime-graded beef. I can't do anything lower than that, it's just not worth my time as far as beef goes.

I will buy choice-graded beef but it's usually short ribs or roasts that I am going to braise/stew and cook for a long time.

And, as if the above was not an indication, if I ever saw you A.) put ketchup on a fine piece of beef or B.) cook it anywhere past medium, you and I would have words. I'd respect your choice, ultimately, but not your opinion. As a matter of fact, I generally do not give people the option of how they like their meet cooked when I am preparing their food; I've been known to convert people, show them the error of their ways. I don't serve steak bloody, you need to get it hot enough to render the fat and connective tissue, but I don't overcook it either.

Also, you rarely eat "cow". Beef is from "steers".

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I never feel judged when it looks like I eat steak the wrong way. I sprinkle some Worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar on mine.

Oh. I put mayo and ketchup on burgers and hotdogs too. I hate mustard. No one ever paid attention to my choices in condiments.

Lots of onions on all three foods too.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#12 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I haven't had a hotdog in a long time. There's also something suspicious about the hotdogs they sell in tins.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44162 Posts

I love steak especially rare. I also really like ketchup and put it on quite a few foods however it's not something that I would put on my steak as I don't think that it really complements the steak. I really don't put anything on my steak though.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Love me some steak. Moo.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

"Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me, the shootings, the knifings, the beatings, old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks... Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hotdogs. Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

-Dirty Harry

I remember when I first saw that film as a kid and was highly puzzled at how passionate he was against something so overwhelmingly popular. I realized later this is a mild symptom of something we call the 'East Coast Disease' and now I just feel sorry for them. As much as people like to tease young atheists and vegans as grating and overbearing, there really is nothing more bizarrely overbearing than an anti-ketchup person.

As far as steak goes, not really a huge fan of steak, but if I have to order it I usually get it cooked medium or medium rare.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Why, are you a vampire?

@PSP107 said:

Agreed. Ketchup is a pretty common topping. Yellow mustard is gross and mayo? Blech.

@SolidSnake35 said:

Been eating a lot of it lately, and it's all fun and games until you feel judged for dabbing a piece in ketchup. Why is that such a faux pas? And how do you like yours cooked? I go medium rare.

When it comes to how steak should be cooked, I subscribe to the immortal wisdom of Peelander-Z. Jump to 2:16 for the answer, but the video is worth a watch if you like bizarre shit.

Loading Video...

Whether ketchup is or isn't a faux pas on steak really depends on how good the steak is. If you're getting $10 steaks at Sizzler, go nuts. If we're talking like a $60-$120 dry aged NY strip, especially one finished with a high end sauce like an in-house made Bearnaise (like Oscar-style), Worcester butter sauce, or a nice beurre blanc, then yeah. I'd look at you funny for that.

-Byshop

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

You should be shot for dabbing in ketchup. Disgraceful. I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

BTW: Anybody in here talking about "sauces" and such, isn't a steak fan. Real steak enthusiasts want to taste the meat. Steak fans aren't sauce fans. All you add is some salt/pepper (salt well before). I'm not saying those people can't enjoy a saucey steak...but I'm making the claim that real steak enthusiasts don't use sauces.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I had to come in a second time, just to say out disgusted I am about the idea of steak with ketchup...it's outrageous, and makes me doubt the future of humanity.