Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

@madrocketeer:

Yeah, lives before livelihoods, need before greed. Of course i figured there would have to be a point where its a gray area but i guess i should concede that it isnt. My concern isnt about people losing their 401ks, savings or upscale houses, my concern is for the apartment dwelling, single parents supporting multiple children and losing their only source of income. But i suppose... even that takes a back seat to possibly saving a person's life from an otherwise overcrowded hospital. It is a tough choice though, i definitely dont blame anyone that feels differently about it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#53  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10587 Posts
@amillionhp said:

@madrocketeer:

Yeah, lives before livelihoods, need before greed. Of course i figured there would have to be a point where its a gray area but i guess i should concede that it isnt. My concern isnt about people losing their 401ks, savings or upscale houses, my concern is for the apartment dwelling, single parents supporting multiple children and losing their only source of income. But i suppose... even that takes a back seat to possibly saving a person's life from an otherwise overcrowded hospital. It is a tough choice though, i definitely dont blame anyone that feels differently about it.

Proportionality of response is indeed important, but, ya know... I live in a middle income developing economy, where millions of people scrape by day to day on a fraction of the welfare cheques in Western countries. Yet even here, we're taking this thing seriously and shutting down an entire city of 8 million people.

We learned from hard experience that in times like this, there is no such thing as a normal economy. No tourists are going to come visit our beaches while this thing's tearing around. Nobody's going to buy our exports when they're holed up in their homes trying to not get sick. Nobody's going to go out and spend money when there is a 20% chance (i.e. proportion of cases that are rated as "Severe" or "Critical") this thing could land them in hospital or worse.

So yeah, I appreciate that it's a tough choice, but at a certain point, it isn't all that tough at all.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

So, to follow up on my spice and herb garden, I have planted all of them, which are rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, dill, chives, oregano, sage, and parsley and all except oregano are showing signs of growth. I've also ordered sweet thai basil seeds from Amazon, but they won't be here for quite a while yet.

On Wednesday my wife and I got out of town and went to a state park to hike around for bit. We had a great time, and hopefully we will do it again tomorrow or sunday as well.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

So, to follow up on my spice and herb garden, I have planted all of them, which are rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, dill, chives, oregano, sage, and parsley and all except oregano are showing signs of growth. I've also ordered sweet thai basil seeds from Amazon, but they won't be here for quite a while yet.

On Wednesday my wife and I got out of town and went to a state park to hike around for bit. We had a great time, and hopefully we will do it again tomorrow or sunday as well.

How dare you ruin businesses like that. Not going to shop herbs anymore because you grow it yourself. Talk about a threat to our civilisation :P

You gotta keep us updated :D

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Serraph105

@horgen said:
@Serraph105 said:

How dare you ruin businesses like that. Not going to shop herbs anymore because you grow it yourself. Talk about a threat to our civilisation :P

You gotta keep us updated :D

Love to, I'll post a picture or two in a bit.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Continue Persona 5 Royal

D&D on Sunday

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Serraph105

@horgen:

Here's what I've got so far. I'm not sure that the oregano is going to come up. I might go buy an already growing oregano plant from home depot or something.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:

@horgen:

Here's what I've got so far. I'm not sure that the oregano is going to come up. I might go buy an already growing oregano plant from home depot or something.

Cilantro is definitely leading. The others better pick up the slack :P

That’s not a regular lamp, right? Does it smell good in that room?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Serraph105

@horgen said:
@Serraph105 said:

@horgen:

Cilantro is definitely leading. The others better pick up the slack :P

That’s not a regular lamp, right? Does it smell good in that room?

The lamp is a seasonal affect disorder lamp that I asked for for Christmas. It doubles nicely as a lamp for growing potted plants.

The plants are both too small and being kept up high to keep away from our cats to really have any scent from them as of yet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105: Is it UV light? Those lamps were popular here a few years back. And up high seems like giving your cats a challenge. :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Serraph105

I made a terrarium today. I planted Salvia which are purple flowers, and Foget-me-nots which are blue. Gonna plant them next to the mailbox when they grow large enough. Social distancing and being unemployed has definitely given me time to exercise the muscles in my green thumb and just relaxing a bit more about not doing a whole lot. Weirdly it's not something I'm very used to, but it's nice in it's own way.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105: That's a long term project, isn't it?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#64  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10587 Posts

Took deliveries today. Damnit, they forgot the chicken nuggets. I specifically mentioned them in the phone call- (Pauses) *Sigh*

Our daily new cases have slowed into single digits for six straight days, bringing the national total to just under 3,000 cases and 54 deaths. Now, I'm under no illusions about that case number; like any middle-income developing economy, our testing capacity is arse. However, the hospital numbers look very good, and other countries with similar testing capacities have seen explosive rise in case numbers that we didn't see. It appears we have compensated for our lack of testing with lightning-fast contact tracing and isolation; the daily reports from our Public Health Ministry continue to impress me in their speed and thoroughness. I'm tentatively optimistic that we have avoided the worst.

So yeah, my city is going to start loosening the lockdown tomorrow. I might take my chances and go withdraw more cash while filling that hole in my deliveries list.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 horgen  Moderator

@madrocketeer: New Zealand?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Got sunburns all over. I look like a lobster.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Serraph105

@horgen: yes and no. The flowers I planted are annuals so they will only bloom for one year. Terrariums however are completely enclosed environments so they never need to be watered after the first time so technically if I planted perennials they would technically last forever (sorta) but essentially no work on my part.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:

@horgen: yes and no. The flowers I planted are annuals so they will only bloom for one year. Terrariums however are completely enclosed environments so they never need to be watered after the first time so technically if I planted perennials they would technically last forever (sorta) but essentially no work on my part.

So... Giving you one year to decide if you wish to keep it or not?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Hanging out with the family/pets at home. Have some things to do around here anyway.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 horgen  Moderator

It's been nothing but work this weekend.

Really looking forward to the long weekend we get a few weeks from now, although I know mine is already cut short a little.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Had a rough week to say the least. Had anxiety attack as I was going to work Thursday, then Friday morning I found out an uncle had passed away back home inJersey. My dad had just talked to him the day before for his birthday, and he was fine.

Trying to relax before going back to work tomorrow, but... I'm just tired and numb. Can't feel anything else right now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 horgen  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:

Had a rough week to say the least. Had anxiety attack as I was going to work Thursday, then Friday morning I found out an uncle had passed away back home inJersey. My dad had just talked to him the day before for his birthday, and he was fine.

Trying to relax before going back to work tomorrow, but... I'm just tired and numb. Can't feel anything else right now.

Rough week =/ How you holding up?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@hallenbeck77: @horgen: I'm here, and functioning. Want to take a day or two off, but events in our office this week prevent me from doing so without leaving some co-workers high and dry without support. So I'm taking a three day weekend to recover.

Grateful that I have the love and support of my wife by my side. Not sure what I'd do without her. Appreciate you checking up on me. Thanks.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 horgen  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:

@hallenbeck77: @horgen: I'm here, and functioning. Want to take a day or two off, but events in our office this week prevent me from doing so without leaving some co-workers high and dry without support. So I'm taking a three day weekend to recover.

Grateful that I have the love and support of my wife by my side. Not sure what I'd do without her. Appreciate you checking up on me. Thanks.

I bet your coworkers are thankful for that. Or not, knowing how coworkers are sometimes.

I hope a three day weekend helps. Stay safe :)