coping with loss/grief?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

what are some good ways? warning, thread is a bit intense.

A stray cat which i was looking after since birth, was hit by a car. The injury was pretty severe but the cat was still alive and somehow found its way to my house after a day., obviously in pain. The vet quoted me $6k to fix it, which was way out ofmy budget and so I decided to pay to euthanize the cat instead and relieve him of his pain. I obviously feel like I betrayed my cat, and his meowing while he was injured at my house is haunting me.

Im pretty demolished right now, what are some good ways to numb the grief? I started taking a bit of alcohol. A bit of wine and some small portions of hard rum. I know its not a smart idea but its just temporary. Thanks for suggestions.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

don't blame yourself. Hang around with people you know, and maybe eventually get a new cat.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

It's not just temporary, and if it helps, so much the worse. You do not want your brain to associate alcohol with relief.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

I wish I could give you some advice, but frankly, I don't deal with it very well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  • Take one day at a time.
  • Liquor
  • Realize that all things must come to an end and that you did all you could to help the cat live a long and love-filled life.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

If you did all you could to help it then that's all there is to it. Most people wouldn't even consider spending that sort of money on a stray animal in such a situation but you at least seem to have had a desire to do so even though its outside your means. You can beat yourself up over choices you could have made but whats done is done and your choice doesn't seem like a bad one.

pinky08_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pinky08_09
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

Stay off the alcohol, it will in no way help you. It will just make you numb.

First thing you have to do is accept the pain for the loss you had. If you cared and loved the cat, then its OK to feel like crap. You have to accept the pain and the sadness as part of life. We all have to go through it when we lose someone we loved.

Dont bury that behind alcohol. If you have a close friend you could chat with him/her and tell your favorite memories of the cat or you can post it here.

Thats a good way to remember your pet and will probably set you on the path to recovery. We always try to celebrate life and not duel too much on death.

The other thing; you can feel bad for the loss, but you cannot feel guilty. You did everything you could so just let go of that.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

take it a day at a time :)

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

I got advice.

I had a dog at age 4, I wasn't that responsible, which is why I felt bad, but loved him and he died just last year when I was 18, I'm 19 now.

And we grew up together, everything I did, my first kiss, my first day of Middle school, and High school, second grade, first grade...He was there in my life.

I'm revolved around a culture where you have to be a man, but I've seen THE TOUGHEST OF MEN cry over something so dear to them.

My point is, it's very normal to go through pain such as this, you'd be doing the cat wrong if you let it suffer in pain.

Think of it this way, you'll definitely see your friend on the other side!

And I will join my best mate, and my parents (still alive) decades from now.

But for now you'll keep living, and smile that the cat feels no pain along with making a special friend, and is drinking heavenly milk. Pun oh so intended.

Life is so temporary, you'll float away with all the people, and animals, you love.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I feel for ur loss don't drink alcohol just spend time with ur family.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#12 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

No don't drink. I know it's hard to lose a cat that you loved. But try to do things that make you happy. Going out with your friends and family in the fresh air. And you did what you could for the cat, Don't feel guilty ;)