Computer Science /=/ Computer technician right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackldragon
Member since 2005 • 1540 Posts

Okay so what I want to do is fix computers. You know be a computer technician, get the A+ certification, MCP, and maybe even the apple one too. However, I am enrolled in Computer Science as my major and have to take alot of calculus, physics, etc. classes. So before I end up going for a B.S. in the wrong field I want to know is Computer Science and Computer technician the same thing or is it completely different. Im starting to have my doubts.

Also, can anyone tell me if universities do anything related to the field I want to go in. Thanks for the help!

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
If you want to do Help Desk type stuff, that's not really computer science. Computer science at some schools could mean different things...Why don't you talk to an advisor at your school? I am in an IT degree program, and that's more geared to what you want to do, but not many universities have IT programs.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

Can't you just ask a counselor/career advisor at your university? I'm sure they could provide much more useful advice about the courses you should be taking.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I beleive computer science is the scientific principles of computing, how they work and such. TBH a technician doesn't need as many qualifications, fixing desktop PCs is easy, most people in the PC hardware board are better than anyone you'll find at PC world. If you go for the more big business route working with the mainframes then it probably will help if you want a promotion to a systems analyst position where you basically design the company's IT infrastructure. Expiriance is going to be useful. I did work experiance at a computer repair shop and Microsoft Technician Certifications are highly thought of, i think Cisco doees some network engineer qualifications which should also be useful (one of the most hated things was setting up home wifi).
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
You may be thinking more of computer engineering. Computer science has more to do with only the software aspects of computers, like writing programs and what not in all the different languages. You seem to want to deal with the hardware aspect of computers, like installing video cards and processors and all that while trouble-shooting the software? Just look at what degree programs your university has to offer and talk to your counselor about them. You may be more interested in computer engineering than computer science. Research it a bit to see.
blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackldragon
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]If you want to do Help Desk type stuff, that's not really computer science. Computer science at some schools could mean different things...Why don't you talk to an advisor at your school? I am in an IT degree program, and that's more geared to what you want to do, but not many universities have IT programs.

Yes thats what it I want to do IT Tech. You wouldn't happen to know if they do that in Florida State University. Someone told me that's where the got there B.S. for his MCP.

Can't you just ask a counselor/career advisor at your university? I'm sure they could provide much more useful advice about the courses you should be taking.

BlueBirdTS
I'm not in a uni yet. I'm in a Community College and tbh they people there aren't very helpful or bright...
Avatar image for abortiondoctor4
abortiondoctor4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 abortiondoctor4
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
No, computer scientists write code. Computer techs repair computer hardware. Major difference.
Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

Better yet major in psychology so you can convince the peoples computers your fixing that the only reason they dont work is because they are just idiots so they dont waste your time.

blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackldragon
You may be thinking more of computer engineering. Computer science has more to do with only the software aspects of computers, like writing programs and what not in all the different languages. You seem to want to deal with the hardware aspect of computers, like installing video cards and processors and all that while trouble-shooting the software? Just look at what degree programs your university has to offer and talk to your counselor about them. You may be more interested in computer engineering than computer science. Research it a bit to see.Ghost_702
Yeah I was just checking some things out on google and some of the stuff they were saying like algorithms, calculus and all that other mathematical stuff just brought alot of questions to mind. What I mostly want to know is if computer enginner is a B.S. or an A.S. program.