Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Busy day for schools around here. On Monday I got a notification from my Ring Doorbell app that there was a firearm involved incident a few miles from my house. I saw some news on social media that schools in that area were on lockdown. The school that my kids go to and that my wife works at was not included in the lockdown. The incident was resolved and school resumed normal operation the next day.

While working from home the next day, I got an robodial from the school district saying that there was a lockdown today. I thought they were a day late so I ignored it and hung up. It turns out that there was a crazy 18 year old named Sol Pais who was infatuated with the Columbine shootings made comments that got the FBI concerned she was going to do something, so when she flew from Miami to Denver and bought a shotgun after leaving the airport it prompted a manhunt. Schools in our district went on lockdown for the second time in a row.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/columbine-threat-search-for-woman/index.html

At 1AM this morning I got a notification from the robodialer again that our district would be closed completely for students and faculty. That's 155 schools across the state. Another 100 or so closures were listed on our local news site, which includes whole districts and individual charter/secular schools.

So our kids are home this morning as well as my wife. About 15 minutes ago we got word at first that Sol Pais was captured and then headlines were updated to say she is dead but no other details are available at this time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Damn. How many thousand students affected?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@horgen said:

Hard to say. I exported the list from the local news site that lists all the closings. There were 236 schools/districts closed. I have no idea how many students are in each one of those and some of those listed are just individual schools, while others are entire districts. Jefferson County and Denver Public Schools are each line items in that list of 236, and those districts are each over 80,000 students. Those will be among the biggest, though, but we're talking about hundreds of thousands if not millions of students.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

An update from CNN says she is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot. Sorry I can't post the link properly, as I'm on a mobile phone.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

Hard to say. I exported the list from the local news site that lists all the closings. There were 236 schools/districts closed. I have no idea how many students are in each one of those and some of those listed are just individual schools, while others are entire districts. Jefferson County and Denver Public Schools are each line items in that list of 236, and those districts are each over 80,000 students. Those will be among the biggest, though, but we're talking about hundreds of thousands if not millions of students.

God damn. That's a higher than I imagined. I was thinking maybe 10-15 thousand affected. I was off by a scale of ten or more.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Yeah, our library was alerted, so some of the kids who couldn't go to school came here instead. Crazy, though. She was apparently spotted running through the woods naked.