College/University Help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

agony8832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 agony8832
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts

Hey guys, i was wondering when you applied for college/university, did you have many extra-curricular activities? Because i seem to have like only 2 or 3. And does it really matter much?

gazoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gazoz
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
I had plenty. Ranging from internships to team research. I guess it depends on where you apply.
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

It doesn't really matter that much as long as you do not isolate yourself socially. I sort-of did last year (because I spent as little time at the university as possible :P) and I regret it. I think that 2-3 is fine ...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Well, I spent a good two years in a trade program at a community college and I had no extracirriculars going in. When i got into the academic college I had no EC's to speak of, but I find it's a good policy toi find some once you get to that level, they will help in both experience and credentials.

agony8832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 agony8832
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts

alright thanks guys, but i hope my grades will be enough to pull me through.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

In terms of the UK, (I'm not sure where you are from), it really does depend on the university. Some universities care very little for extra-curricular activities, whilst some take a more earnest view of their importance. However, it is very unlikely unless perhaps in the cases of medical degree programmes, that ECs would be the most important aspect of your application.

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Depends on the University. Also, having 2-3 extra curricular activities that you put a lot of effort and dedication to is worth a lot more than having a bunch of extra curricular activities, but not excelling in any.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Most of my extra -curricular included clubs at school and some volunteer work I did at school.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Hey guys, i was wondering when you applied for college/university, did you have many extra-curricular activities? Because i seem to have like only 2 or 3. And does it really matter much?

agony8832
I had NO e.c. activities (except for basketball through sophomore year and NHS), and I ended up getting paid to go to school (through grants and scholarships) BUT I had bad ass grades and test scores -I am not the smartest, but I can crack most tests...easily As long as you have something that makes you stand out you will be fine...if not though, you may not get into the school you want (though I am sure you can get in somewhere)
Avatar image for priestinacloset
priestinacloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 priestinacloset
Member since 2005 • 1508 Posts
if you have the grades it doesnt matter
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
I had basketball for three years, tennis for one year, NHS, SHS, yearbook, and newspaper as editor and sports editor, respectively. Nothing overwhelming considering how involved some high school students are, but I got into Penn State main. My GPA was like 3.89 so that didn't hurt. It really just depends on where you apply, though.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Depends where you go I guess, but I honestly don't think it matters much for the majority of schools. I put I had 4 years of JV club hockey and that's it. I got into all the schools I applied to, more dependent on your GPA.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#13 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

I was involved with three sports, founder of two clubs, worked for my school's news station, and was involved in numerous plays.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

The more you have, the better you look at graduation. If you can hold down classes, half a dozen extra-curriculars, and a decent job you'll look pretty darn good.

Plus, you do gain a lot of experience and social connections through them. I think taking part in them really enhances the college experience.

Edit: I misunderstood the OP. For most colleges (in my experience), high school activities matter very little on a college application unless you're applying for high level programs, honors, or scholarships.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

Not really, but I don't think those matter too much. If you have the grades, SAT scores, and GPA, you're golden.

stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stupid4

Not really, but I don't think those matter too much. If you have the grades, SAT scores, and GPA, you're golden.

Renegade_Fury

Depends on where you live. In the United States it's one of the most important parts of the application process.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I didn't have any. No. If you are trying to get right in without any JC first, yeah it may matter some. Depends on the school also

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

stupid4

Depends on where you live. In the United States it's one of the most important parts of the application process.

No, I feel the other 3 are more important. Extracurricular is just that, extra. If you don't have the other 3, they wouldn't look at your application in the first place. Now if you're applying into the top 5, then it's a different story. Personally, I don't remember what I put down. I know I had a **** load of community service and I volunteered teaching at an elementary school, but that's it.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

No, I feel the other 3 are more important.

Well, the colleges feel extracurricular activities are more important.

In fact, if it's the same as it was when I left high school, it's the very first thing they look at, followed by grades and then SAT scores (I never even took the SAT and I'm currently in the most prestigious university at my state). Colleges and universities are putting in a very strong emphasis on experience and involvement.

So while you may be able to get in without the EC activities (it really depends on the competition), it's definitely a better idea to have some under your belt than to not.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

Theokhoth

No, I feel the other 3 are more important.

Well, the colleges feel extracurricular activities are more important.

In fact, if it's the same as it was when I left high school, it's the very first thing they look at, followed by grades and then SAT scores (I never even took the SAT and I'm currently in the most prestigious university at my state).

I didn't say it wasn't, I said the other 3 were more. I base this off my experience, and what I've seen go around me over the years. I know at least for Stanford and Cal, the first thing they look at is your GPA followed by SAT scores for example.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stupid4

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

No, I feel the other 3 are more important. Extracurricular is just that, extra. If you don't have the other 3, they wouldn't look at your application in the first place. Now if you're applying into the top 5, then it's a different story. Personally, I don't remember what I put down. I know I had a **** load of community service and I volunteered teaching at an elementary school, but that's it.

Well that is some very good extracurricular you have there. And when you are applying to schools there are a bunch of people who have the same test scores and grades. Extracurricular defines who you are as a person.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

stupid4

Well that is some very good extracurricular you have there. And when you are applying to schools there are a bunch of people who have the same test scores and grades. Extracurricular defines who you are as a person.

But if you don't have the scores in the first place, they wouldn't even get to that part of the application.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stupid4

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"] No, I feel the other 3 are more important. Extracurricular is just that, extra. If you don't have the other 3, they wouldn't look at your application in the first place. Now if you're applying into the top 5, then it's a different story. Personally, I don't remember what I put down. I know I had a **** load of community service and I volunteered teaching at an elementary school, but that's it.

Renegade_Fury

But if you don't have the scores in the first place, they wouldn't even get to that part of the application.

I agree. But why would you apply to a selective school if you don't have a good GPA or test scores? Extracurrelicurs are the deciding factor. That and your essays.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"][QUOTE="stupid4"]

stupid4

I agree. But why would you apply to a selective school if you don't have a good GPA or test scores? Extracurrelicurs are the deciding factor. That and your essays.

Of course, which is why I said originally, the other 3 are more important. If you have good enough scores, then worry about the extra stuff.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="stupid4"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

In the UK it's almost the reverse, in the sense that the best unis care less about ECs than the other universities.

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Nope, I only had bowling and I got accepted to both Embry Riddle and Vaughn. Which were the only colleges I applied to:D

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I had a few. I put down concert band (9th-12th grade), drama/theatre (9th-10th grade), orchestra (12th grade), pep band (10th-12th grade), JCL/Latin Club (9th-12th grade), Socratic Club (10th-12th grade), and journalism (9th grade). Extracurriculars matter because that's your opportunity to show that you're well-rounded and that you go above and beyond what is expected of you at school. Having 2-3 is better than having one or zero.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#28 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Yeah I had a lot, for American schools it's good to have a ton, you need it.