Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/8/21057198/collegehumor-fired-employees-media-dorkly-drawfee-dropout

From the article:

As of today, the venerable comedy concern CollegeHumor Media is mostly dead. In the words of Sam Reich, its chief commercial officer, IAC “has made the difficult decision to no longer finance us,” he wrote in a Twitter thread this afternoon. “Today, 100+ brilliant people lost their jobs, some of whom are my dear, dear friends.” That means the cuts hit every vertical: CollegeHumor, Dorkly, Drawfee, and Dropout — only five to 10 people are left, according to Bloomberg.

The news, however, wasn’t all bad: IAC agreed to let Reich become the humor company’s majority owner. “Of course, I can’t keep it going like you’re used to,” Reich wrote further down in the thread. “While we were on the way to becoming profitable, we were nonetheless losing money — and I myself have no money to be able to lose.”

They said they are going to try to save the various shows and channels, but I'm not sure how they are exactly going to do that since they have let go nearly all of the performers. My wife and I are bummed by this as we really enjoyed their content. This is just the latest example of internet comedy sites that has all but shut down over the years as the landscape changed with the evolution of social media and streaming services. Cracked used to produce a ton of video and podcast content before they went through a similar round of layoffs that gutted the company. Funny or Die before that.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

Oh well. Most of them have an impressive enough resume/portfolio, they won't have a hard time finding a new job in a similar field.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

I always found Collegehumour as a hit or miss. More often miss, but I haven't seen much of the stuff they made.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

That's a shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

They were better like 10 years ago. It was bound to happen eventually.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16873 Posts

I didn't know they were still around. Shame whenever anyone loses their job, hopefully the employees can get back on their feet soon.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

I didn't know they were still around. Shame whenever anyone loses their job, hopefully the employees can get back on their feet soon.

same. can't tell you the last time i saw any of their content.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

same. can't tell you the last time i saw any of their content.

You might have and not even realized it as they created a lot of stuff that spun off. Adam Ruins Everything started as a web series on CollegeHumor. "Hot Date" also started off on CH. A lot of comedy actors got initial recognition on that channel. Pete Holmes did a bunch of stuff on there before he eventually got his own (albeit short lived) nighttime talk show. Thomas Middleditch was on there before he went on to star in Silicon Valley.

They also had a bunch of current stuff going when this happened. Their extremely nerdy pseudo game show "Um, Actually..." is brilliant. My wife and I are huge fans.

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solspear
Member since 2015 • 67 Posts

@jaydan:

Yeah... At a ***** Club, come see me on ***** and use my name John Doe! 2 Drink Minimum Please!

Seems like people only watch Comedy when its advertisements can still float

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Interesting. I remember watching a few of their videos years back. They were alright.