College student falls to her death while posing on cliff for selfie

#1 Posted by loco145 (12130 posts) -

Andrea Norton, a 20-year-old college student, was hiking with a group of students from Sioux City, S.D., on Saturday when she tried to take a selfie at Hawksbill Crag, a popular hiking destination in Arkansas' Ozark Mountains, Newton County Sheriff Glenn Wheeler said.

Norton was repositioning herself for a photo when she lost her footing on the overhanging rock ledge and fell 100 feet, Wheeler said.

The Briar Cliff University senior was an environmental science major and a member of the volleyball team. The university tweeted that she was "an exemplary student."

Hawksbill Crag, named for its hawk's beak-like shape, is one of the most photographed landmarks in the Ozarks. But it's also one of the most dangerous — several people have died in accidents there.

Source

But how many likes on instagram would have she gotten?

#2 Posted by Lach0121 (11416 posts) -

Perhaps she deserves a Darwin Award.

#3 Posted by GTR12 (13483 posts) -

Good, stupid people deserve that.

#4 Edited by lamprey263 (36174 posts) -

I hope we all learn a valuable life lesson from this.

#5 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79358 posts) -

First lesson of environmental science: be always aware of your surroundings...

#6 Posted by mandzilla (4147 posts) -

Damn that's really sad to hear, sorry for her family and friends. Hopefully people in the future take heed of this accident and watch their step.

#7 Posted by shellcase86 (4478 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

No, she couldn't have been stupid, she was in college...

OT: As much her fault it is, I feel bad for her family.

#8 Posted by realistic44 (8244 posts) -

I actually felt bad for her, I don't think she is stupid. Just a really clumsy mistake. You should be aware of your surroundings at all times. A really dumb person would be the woman who died from a building while planking.

#9 Posted by GTR12 (13483 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:
@GTR12 said:

So anyone in college is automatically smart?

/facepalm

#10 Posted by Cayde (152 posts) -

@GTR12 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@GTR12 said:

/facepalm

What?!

#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (20005 posts) -

At least she died beautiful.

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (28365 posts) -

Very sad and unfortunate. I feel for her family and friends.

#13 Posted by warmblur (2775 posts) -

I hate this selfie culture.

#14 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44115 posts) -

That's too bad, always a shame to hear about these because of the inevitable cold-hearted turds.

Oh, look....

@GTR12 said:

Smart people do dumb things, too.

Just let's you know we are all one momentary lapse of judgement away from death.

Even you, broseph

@GTR12 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@GTR12 said:

/facepalm

Well, no, but you can certainly say that everyone in college is not dumb, though. I mean objectively speaking they were smart enough to get into a four-year university, so there's a minimum bar there and it's well above "dumb".

Unless you go to a for-profit college. Then you truly are an idiot...

@realistic44 said:

I actually felt bad for her, I don't think she is stupid. Just a really clumsy mistake. You should be aware of your surroundings at all times. A really dumb person would be the woman who died from a building while planking.

Yeah, this is sort of how I feel. She made a mistake, her death is her own fault, but it's not right to be mean about it.

#15 Posted by GTR12 (13483 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

@GTR12 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@GTR12 said:

/facepalm

Well, no, but you can certainly say that everyone in college is not dumb, though. I mean objectively speaking they were smart enough to get into a four-year university, so there's a minimum bar there and it's well above "dumb".

ALL universities are for-profit, do you think someone would work there as a volunteer? just because they have no living-expenses.

Dream on...

#16 Posted by Serraph105 (33961 posts) -

I feel like the only reason people are seeing her as dumb is because she was taking a selfie and people associate selfies with people who are dumb (despite the fact everyone takes them), but anyone can lose their balance and fall.

@Archangel3371 said:

Very sad and unfortunate. I feel for her family and friends.

^This is how everyone should be reacting to this story.

#17 Posted by sonicare (56798 posts) -

I see nothing but an awful tragedy. That's horrible.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#18 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13680 posts) -

Very sad story.

#19 Posted by uninspiredcup (34310 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Very sad story.

Agreed. Even if it was a foolish thing to do, "good someone is dead"

.....really?

#20 Posted by SaltSlasher (1232 posts) -

This is pretty sad. Back in day, my sister's boyfriend died falling off a cliff. He never used climbing equipment, and I remember it being devastating.

#21 Posted by XVision84 (16324 posts) -

What a terrible price to pay for such an innocent mistake. I feel for her family :(.

#22 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44115 posts) -

@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:
@shellcase86 said:

/facepalm

ALL universities are for-profit, do you think someone would work there as a volunteer? just because they have no living-expenses.

Dream on...

Many are non-profit, actually. I don't think you understand what that means, though, otherwise you wouldn't have said the above.

Nonprofit (aka not-for-profit) institution:

These institutions are typically the traditional types of colleges that come to mind. Nonprofit institutions usually receive funding from the government, tuition and endowments, and the money received is put back into the curriculum, instruction and other college operations that support students and faculty. These institutions are led by administrators, faculty and staff, often under the direction of a Board of Trustees.

Nonprofit institutions may offer traditional daytime degree programs, as well as hybrid (half on campus, half online), online, or evening and weekend programs. Most nonprofit colleges offer a traditional campus life experience sports teams, student clubs, dorm living and more.

Link

Non-profit doesn't mean you don't get paid; it means the company or institution you work for has to break even at the end of the year, and money made needs to be reinvested or otherwise used for the non-profit (salaries, expenses, rent, etc.)

#23 Posted by Solaryellow (5089 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

I feel like the only reason people are seeing her as dumb is because she was taking a selfie and people associate selfies with people who are dumb (despite the fact everyone takes them), but anyone can lose their balance and fall.

No, not everyone takes a "selfie." Not all people are self-absorbed.

#24 Posted by GTR12 (13483 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Many are non-profit, actually. I don't think you understand what that means, though, otherwise you wouldn't have said the above.

Nonprofit (aka not-for-profit) institution:

These institutions are typically the traditional types of colleges that come to mind. Nonprofit institutions usually receive funding from the government, tuition and endowments, and the money received is put back into the curriculum, instruction and other college operations that support students and faculty. These institutions are led by administrators, faculty and staff, often under the direction of a Board of Trustees.

Nonprofit institutions may offer traditional daytime degree programs, as well as hybrid (half on campus, half online), online, or evening and weekend programs. Most nonprofit colleges offer a traditional campus life experience sports teams, student clubs, dorm living and more.

Link

Non-profit doesn't mean you don't get paid; it means the company or institution you work for has to break even at the end of the year, and money made needs to be reinvested or otherwise used for the non-profit (salaries, expenses, rent, etc.)

Never heard of that, we don't have those types of universities in Australia so I don't know how it works.

#25 Posted by schu (10054 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Very sad story.

Agreed. Even if it was a foolish thing to do, "good someone is dead"

.....really?

Nearly everyone has done something moronic at some point in their life which could have resulted in death. Pretty childish and pathetic to insult her.

#26 Posted by dreamygeek (11 posts) -

I am so tired of hearing about those selfie accidents. Why can't people stop being such kids and get over with this stupid trend.

#27 Posted by feed_the_cat (31 posts) -

That's very sad, not funny.

#28 Edited by Kadin_Kai (513 posts) -

@loco145: Ah poor girl RIP!

#29 Posted by brimmul777 (4113 posts) -

She was very pretty, Rest in Peace with God. Condolences to her family and friends.