CISPA Passes the House: 219 Republicans Yay / 188 Democrats Nay

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Both parties are exactly the same

An almost unanimous no from democrats in the house (except from 8 in committee) CISPA now looks like it has no chance in the senate and now the white house is seeking key revisions in privacy language otherwise they'll recommend a veto from Obama

Update: Obama did issue a veto threat ahead of vote

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Never mind your original link was from last week, they voted today. My bad.

Why did those 8 democrats on the committee vote yes but nobody else? Was it because Obama decided in the last week to threaten to veto?

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

I hope Obama holds true to his veto threat. I also hope it doesn't pass the senate. The government has proven to be very inept at it's attempts to regulate the internet, and thus I want them to stay out of it.

Serraph105
>Following through with promises >obama Choose one.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rich3232

We'll fight for your right to own guns, but not for you to have internet freedom.

jimkabrhel
Something something guns prevent tyranny something. Even though, education and freedom of information are far more effective than that.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

We'll fight for your right to own guns, but not for you to have internet freedom.

th3warr1or

Something something guns prevent tyranny something. Even though, education and freedom of information are far more effective than that.

Guns, not freedom of information, are the last line of defense. Everything else can be forcibly taken from you and frankly you can't do jack about it.

Guns are p. useless if you don't have any information about your own government.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="Rich3232"] Something something guns prevent tyranny something. Even though, education and freedom of information are far more effective than that. Rich3232
Guns, not freedom of information, are the last line of defense. Everything else can be forcibly taken from you and frankly you can't do jack about it.

Guns can also be taken away from you.

Only if you give it up willingly, and if you do that to a tyrannical government, and that's not very smart.

Put it this way, if a government tyrannically told its unarmed citizens that as of today onwards, everything is going to be censored, nothing can be done. The same thing can't be pulled off in the case of guns, at least not without a bloody resistance.

And I'm not saying this bill isn't stupid, by the way.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Somehow in the end of all this, Obama will be the bad guy.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DroidPhysX
Laihendi's beloved House of Representative protecting our rights.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
>"Citing above all else the need to "carefully safeguard privacy and civil liberties", the White House [...]" LMAO
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rich3232
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]>"Citing above all else the need to "carefully safeguard privacy and civil liberties", the White House [...]" LMAO

Rofl. Same shit, different day.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

th3warr1or

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas." - Joseph Stalin

Guns can't do anything on there own. If a gun is to be used as a meaningful political tool there has to be an idea behind it. 

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Guns, not freedom of information, are the last line of defense. Everything else can be forcibly taken from you and frankly you can't do jack about it. th3warr1or
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. - Joseph Stalin

That doesn't mean that restricting guns to law abiding people is good. If criminals gave a damn about laws, they wouldn't be criminals, because there are already laws against murder, theft, etc.

If you're using a gun to overthrow what you deem to be an oppressive government you're a criminal. That might be the most illegal thing you could do. 

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] If you're using a gun to overthrow what you deem to be an oppressive government you're a criminal. That might be the most illegal thing you could do. -Sun_Tzu-
Nobody mentioned anything about overthrowing anyone's government. I was thinking more along the lines of not repeating a pre-WW2 Nazi Germany.

How are you suppose to avoid repeatinga pre-WWII Nazi Germany via firearms without actually overthrowing the Reich?

The reason Nazi Germany could even start proposing their absurd ideas without fear of retribution was because there was essentially not a single civilian in Germany at that point that was even armed. Would anything have changed if the Germans had guns? Well, I don't know. But Nazi Germany disarmed their people before introducing their concepts, not after. Would anyone have willingly given up their arms if they knew what a madman Hitler (y'sh) was?

As far as overthrowing governments are concerned, I draw a line between legitimate governments and military juntas or dictatorships. I don't think anyone outside of North Korea would say Koreans are criminals if they overthrew Kim.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Sun_Tzu-

there was essentially not a single civilian in Germany at that point that was even armed. th3warr1or
That's just completely incorrect.

And North Korea would certainly deem anyone who tried to overthrow their regime a criminal, and that's what matters. The fact that you think that people who dissaprove of the North Korean government are in the right isn't going to get them out of the concentration camp. You're arbirarily changing the definition of what it means to be a criminal. And I'm not saying that there aren't laws that should be broken, but there's an underlying contradiction to say that "law-abiding citizens" need to be able to purchase guns to protect themselves from an oppressive government. 

By definition a law-abiding citizen can't protect itself from an oppressive government. 

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I hope Obama holds true to his veto threat. I also hope it doesn't pass the senate. The government has proven to be very inept at it's attempts to regulate the internet, and thus I want them to stay out of it.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
It sounds like whether Obama will stick to his veto threat or not will be completely irrelevant
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Rich3232

I choose an order of plain english please
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] That's just completely incorrect.

And North Korea would certainly deem anyone who tried to overthrow their regime a criminal, and that's what matters. The fact that you think that people who dissaprove of the North Korean government are in the right isn't going to get them out of the concentration camp. You're arbirarily changing the definition of what it means to be a criminal. And I'm not saying that there aren't laws that should be broken, but there's an underlying contradiction to say that "law-abiding citizens" need to be able to purchase guns to protect themselves from an oppressive government. 

By definition a law-abiding citizen can't protect itself from an oppressive government. 

-Sun_Tzu-

Not necessarily. Is it a crime for a law-abiding citizen to protect himself from a criminal? If say, a democratic government suddenly ignored democracy and started implementing "laws" contrary to the fundamentals of the state using force and violence as opposed to actual democracy, they're the criminals. They were voted in, and now they're disregarding the same system that allowed them to even be there. That just makes it an organized crime ring, not a government.

I'd say that's a distinction without a difference. 

"The state calls its own violence law, but that of the individual, crime." - Max Stirner

Well, fair enough. Like I said, this bill is stupid, but hypocrites run on both sides.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The one time I actually agree with the Democrats and they lose. WTF?!
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rich3232
[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Serraph105

I choose an order of plain english please

Fvcking glitchspot, man
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
They learnt nothing from SOPA, did they?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I wonder if Obama will let everyone down again on his veto promises?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
Link on this incident, or it's no deal.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
This is all for show. Democrats do not care about privacy at all, and their record before now proves it. Also I do not expect to vote for my congressman in future elections.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Rich3232

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace6301

th3warr1or

If you're down to guns you've already lost. Education and freedom of information is how you prevent tyranny. Guns are how you resist it once it's there and as I've said before good luck with that.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rich3232

th3warr1or

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Guns, not freedom of information, are the last line of defense. Everything else can be forcibly taken from you and frankly you can't do jack about it. th3warr1or

Only if you give it up willingly, and if you do that to a tyrannical government, and that's not very smart.

Put it this way, if a government tyrannically told its unarmed citizens that as of today onwards, everything is going to be censored, nothing can be done. The same thing can't be pulled off in the case of guns, at least not without a bloody resistance.

Good luck fighting when you don't know it's happening or have propaganda working against you. They aren't going to tell you they're coming for your guns in this case, they'll just show up and take them and you'll either be dead or your guns gone. Education and the ability to access information is how you prevent that sort of thing.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] Guns can also be taken away from you. Ace6301

Good luck fighting when you don't know it's happening or have propaganda working against you. They aren't going to tell you they're coming for your guns in this case, they'll just show up and take them and you'll either be dead or your guns gone. Education and the ability to access information is how you prevent that sort of thing.

Yes, I don't disagree that education and information is important. However, knowing that someone is about to kill you and being unable to do anything about it, is just as bad as not knowing that someone is about to kill you but being able to do something about it should you find out.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
This is all for show. Democrats do not care about privacy at all, and their record before now proves it. Also I do not expect to vote for my congressman in future elections.Laihendi
I had no idea Laih was against freedom too. So much as changed. I feel so manipulated.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Only if you give it up willingly, and if you do that to a tyrannical government, and that's not very smart.

th3warr1or

Yes, I don't disagree that education and information is important. However, knowing that someone is about to kill you and being unable to do anything about it, is just as bad as not knowing that someone is about to kill you but being able to do something about it should you find out.

Do countries win wars using this line of reasoning?
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Good luck fighting when you don't know it's happening or have propaganda working against you. They aren't going to tell you they're coming for your guns in this case, they'll just show up and take them and you'll either be dead or your guns gone. Education and the ability to access information is how you prevent that sort of thing.

Apparently so, given that no country has an "unarmed" military focused purely on intel....
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="Rich3232"] Something something guns prevent tyranny something. Even though, education and freedom of information are far more effective than that.

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. - Joseph Stalin

That doesn't mean that restricting guns to law abiding people is good. If criminals gave a damn about laws, they wouldn't be criminals, because there are already laws against murder, theft, etc.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Yes, I don't disagree that education and information is important. However, knowing that someone is about to kill you and being unable to do anything about it, is just as bad as not knowing that someone is about to kill you but being able to do something about it should you find out.

Apparently so, given that no country has an "unarmed" military focused purely on intel....

Wait until you learn what holds for the opposite.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 th3warr1or

If a gun is to be used as a meaningful political tool there has to be an idea behind it.

-Sun_Tzu-
As I said, I don't disagree.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Do countries win wars using this line of reasoning?

I don't follow. What countries would you be referring to with an all-brute force, no intel, military?
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Apparently so, given that no country has an "unarmed" military focused purely on intel....

I don't follow. What countries would you be referring to with an all-brute force, no intel, military?

The same countries you referred in your previous post.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. - Joseph Stalin-Sun_Tzu-

If you're using a gun to overthrow what you deem to be an oppressive government you're a criminal. That might be the most illegal thing you could do. 

Nobody mentioned anything about overthrowing anyone's government. I was thinking more along the lines of not repeating a pre-WW2 Nazi Germany.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Wait until you learn what holds for the opposite.

The same countries you referred in your previous post.

I don't support the taking away of information, so I have no idea what you're getting at. The point is, information is only one side of the coin. It's useless without the ability to actually do something about it.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"] That doesn't mean that restricting guns to law abiding people is good. If criminals gave a damn about laws, they wouldn't be criminals, because there are already laws against murder, theft, etc. th3warr1or

How are you suppose to avoid repeatinga pre-WWII Nazi Germany via firearms without actually overthrowing the Reich?
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I see Republicans are once again showing themselves as the party of freedom. Just like with their stances on gay marriage, abortion, immigration, drugs, and more, they never fail to uphold personal freedom.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Nobody mentioned anything about overthrowing anyone's government. I was thinking more along the lines of not repeating a pre-WW2 Nazi Germany. th3warr1or

The reason Nazi Germany could even start proposing their absurd ideas without fear of retribution was because there was essentially not a single civilian in Germany at that point that was even armed. Would anything have changed if the Germans had guns? Well, I don't know. But Nazi Germany disarmed their people before introducing their concepts, not after. Would anyone have willingly given up their arms if they knew what a madman Hitler (y'sh) was?

As far as overthrowing governments are concerned, I draw a line between legitimate governments and military juntas or dictatorships. I don't think anyone outside of North Korea would say Koreans are criminals if they overthrew Kim.

If only France had had guns, Germany never could have conquered them.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 th3warr1or
I see Republicans are once again showing themselves as the party of freedom. Just like with their stances on gay marriage, abortion, immigration, drugs, and more, they never fail to uphold personal freedom.chessmaster1989
Hypocrisy isn't exclusive to either party.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 th3warr1or
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] How are you suppose to avoid repeatinga pre-WWII Nazi Germany via firearms without actually overthrowing the Reich? chessmaster1989

If only France had had guns, Germany never could have conquered them.

French resistance continued fighting way into the surrender.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rich3232
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I see Republicans are once again showing themselves as the party of freedom. Just like with their stances on gay marriage, abortion, immigration, drugs, and more, they never fail to uphold personal freedom.th3warr1or
Hypocrisy isn't exclusive to either party.

No, but Republicans claim to be for small government and almost everything they do run contrary to that idea wrt social issues.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]there was essentially not a single civilian in Germany at that point that was even armed. -Sun_Tzu-

That's just completely incorrect.

Not necessarily. Is it a crime for a law-abiding citizen to protect himself from a criminal? If say, a democratic government suddenly ignored democracy and started implementing "laws" contrary to the fundamentals of the state using force and violence as opposed to actual democracy, they're the criminals. They were voted in, and now they're disregarding the same system that allowed them to even be there. That just makes it an organized crime ring, not a government.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="Rich3232"] Something something guns prevent tyranny something. Even though, education and freedom of information are far more effective than that. DroidPhysX

Guns are p. useless if you don't have any information about your own government.

mhmm