#1 Edited by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has made a topic on this miniseries yet, as it's being claimed as one of the best shows on TV in a long time, if not ever. Maybe because not many have access to HBO?

For those that have seen it and that it wrapped up this past Monday, did you enjoy it? I loved it and found it exceptionally well done. The casting, special effects work, music, pacing, and the effort to explain exactly how the combination of human error, scientific fault, and political circumstances at the end all came together to enable such an enormous catastrophe. I've gained a much better understanding of how things went wrong much than all my previous research into the disaster taught me, and I'm hugely fascinated by Chernobyl in general and've read up a lot on it.

For those who haven't seen it I'd highly recommend finding a way to watch, it's worth it.

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16000 posts) -

Yeah I've seen the trailer and a few clips on youtube. That scene in the trailer of the 'bridge of death' is about the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I've considered getting HBO for a month to watch it once it wraps up. You say it's done now?

#3 Posted by Solaryellow (4835 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I'm surprised no one has made a topic on this miniseries yet, as it's being claimed as one of the best shows on TV in a long time, if not ever. Maybe because not many have access to HBO?

For those that have seen it and that it wrapped up this past Monday, did you enjoy it? I loved it and found it exceptionally well done. The casting, special effects work, music, pacing, and the effort to explain exactly how the combination of human error, scientific fault, and political circumstances at the end all came together to enable such an enormous catastrophe. I've gained a much better understanding of how things went wrong much than all my previous research into the disaster taught me, and I'm hugely fascinated by Chernobyl in general and've read up a lot on it.

For those who haven't seen it I'd highly recommend finding a way to watch, it's worth it.

The series was well put together and IMO did not over-do it with artistic licensing.

#4 Posted by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah I've seen the trailer and a few clips on youtube. That scene in the trailer of the 'bridge of death' is about the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I've considered getting HBO for a month to watch it once it wraps up. You say it's done now?

Yea, the last episode was Monday. I'm a bit depressed it's done as it was so good, though I don't know how they could've made it span across seasons. It would've lost much of its potency. If you think the bridge of death was bad, you should see the effects of the radiation on the firefighters.

#5 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16000 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Yea, the last episode was Monday. I'm a bit depressed it's done as it was so good, though I don't know how they could've made it span across seasons. It would've lost much of its potency. If you think the bridge of death was bad, you should see the effects of the radiation on the firefighters.

Oh, I'm sure. But that scene with the burning power plant in the background, that ionized beam shooting straight up, and knowing what happened to the people on that bridge is just so ominous.

#6 Edited by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: yeah that scene in the first episode was hard to watch. The kids treating the fallout ash like fresh snowfall in joy was tough to see. What’s so sad is that no one knew and weren’t told either.

The entire miniseries has this ominous feeling which is largely what makes it so compelling. Every episode is like this. It’s really a great show.

#7 Posted by Master_Live (19468 posts) -

I think it is worth watching. A grounded, understated piece of work. A ominous and paranoid atmosphere permeates it.

#8 Edited by warriorsq (565 posts) -

I downloaded the series and I've just the last one to watch. Probably one of the best programs I've ever seen tbh.

I was 16 when it happened and remember reading all newspapers here in the UK when the story broke, no Internet back then obviously.

Someone I know went there (as far as the official warning signs and exclusion zone) a couple of years ago. It's a bit of a destination these days apparently. He said it was fascinating and doesn't mind glowing in the dark these days haha

#9 Posted by Kadin_Kai (422 posts) -

I will start watching this tomorrow and binge my way through with my better half in one night.

Plus snacks!

#10 Posted by with_teeth26 (9514 posts) -

i've been watching it as it comes out (had HBO already for Game of Thrones)

excellent mini-series, up there with Band of Brothers and Generation Kill as the best they have put out.

I like how it went into the Soviet corruption and attempted cover-up as well as the disaster itself, and had a great, unambiguous and uncontrived message about the importance of truth.

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (35682 posts) -
@MirkoS77 said:

loved it too.

#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16000 posts) -

Finished episode 2. Got the HBO 7 day trial, gonna finish watching this weekend.

It's quite good so far. And I'm glad the actors are just playing their roles and not trying to pull off a terribly fake Russian accent.

#13 Posted by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: a lot are making a big deal of it but it doesn’t detract from the enjoyment one bit IMO. Trying to fake Russian accents and failing would’ve been far worse. Failed Russian accents are downright comedic.

#14 Posted by FlawlessPoop (156 posts) -

it's a good series, but much too overrated, i liked the first episode the must.

#15 Posted by sealionact (3893 posts) -

The filmography is stunning. Muted, depressed colours mirror the atmosphere at the time, and its mostly accurate historically.

Totally gripping story, which had me glued to the screen for the entire series.

#16 Edited by Master_Live (19468 posts) -

Yeah, if you aren't going to do it in the native language (executives won't greenlight that) you might as well do a soft accent or not at all.

#17 Posted by WickedMuffin (37 posts) -

it is a great work esspecially for the screenwriter

#18 Edited by Blair5 (16 posts) -

I loved the series !! Still havent watched 5th one, but I am excited to do so during weekend

#19 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43928 posts) -

I think it's probably the best show I've seen since Breaking Bad. Could not stop watching it.

I am happy it's a mini-series and not some drawn-out, multi-season thing.

I did my own sort of fact-checking (to the best Google could do haha) after each episode and a lot of what they depicted was true by many accounts. Russian/Soviet nationalism and bureaucracy seems absolutely terrible, it must have been very hard to be a smart person in Russia. I like how the collective minds of the real-life scientists were depicted by the woman scientist in the show, that was a really good idea.

Just a great show. Grueling and hard to watch, but I did not turn away or blink. Even my roommate, who is always on his phone during shows, put her phone down and watched.

#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43928 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Finished episode 2. Got the HBO 7 day trial, gonna finish watching this weekend.

It's quite good so far. And I'm glad the actors are just playing their roles and not trying to pull off a terribly fake Russian accent.

same, fake accents bum me out most of the time.

The series is really grounded, I am really enjoying how no one is, for lack of better term, trying to be an actor. Not trying to dramatize it any more than it needs to be. The story and writing is so good, it's nice to have that stand out. That's not to say the acting is bad (quite the opposite, it's very good!) or the actors miscast (they're not! All of them are amazing, even the minor roles), it's just nice to see the show play out.

#21 Posted by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

@wickedmuffin said:

it is a great work esspecially for the screenwriter

Yes, it's very surprising considering his filmography. The guy has been behind some true turds.

#22 Posted by Horgen (120410 posts) -

Russia isn't happy with it. So I guess it got something right.

#23 Posted by Kadin_Kai (422 posts) -

I watched all five episodes last night. It really got me thinking about nuclear power. On one hand it’s a fantastic invention but on the other hand it could go terribly wrong.

Even without things going terribly wrong, there is the problem of nuclear waste. No country has managed to properly solve the issue of nuclear waste and I think it’s another time bomb that is waiting to happen.

But a great show in every way.

#24 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79311 posts) -

I don't have HBO, so I'd have to wait for it to hit Netflix or DVD to watch it.

#25 Posted by Mickeyminime (1443 posts) -

It was brilliant, shame it was 5 episodes though

#26 Posted by Macutchi (6737 posts) -

downloaded them all yesterday and ended up 'til 3am watching them back to back. wow. phenomenal tv. left me open jawed at times. deeply moving. the heroism, the horror, what was at stake... the picture it painted. damn

#27 Posted by Blair5 (16 posts) -

@MirkoS77: exactly, I was SO devastated when kids played in "snow" I remember how I almost stopped breathing and wanted to tell them to go away, what a pity, saddest thing ever