Carl's Jr has jumped on the burger-less burger bandwagon

#1 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78981 posts) -

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/02/beyond-meat-burgers-at-carls-jr/

I tried the Burger King veggie burger, and it was just ok, but my co-worker told me about this and tried it today and he said it was really good. Supposedly, the Beyond Burger veggie patties are supposed to be nearly identical to hamburger patties both in taste and texture. I'm intrigued. Going to try one this week.

Will you try it?

#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42738 posts) -

Nope. No point, really; I want a burger with meat. If I wanted a veggie "burger", I'd grill up some portabello mushroom caps. Ooooh wheeeee, you grill those up, toss on some roasted bell pepper, grilled onion (slices, not chopped), butter-leaf lettuce, thick slice of heirloom tomato (or some tomato jam), and a garlicky aoli on it. Maybe a slice or two of provolone. Goooooood.

Nope, I'm waiting for the lab-grown meat to come out, then I'll try a burger-less burger...burger. Because really is it still a burger if it didn't come from a cow, but instead a test tube? The answer is yes...and no...sort of. It's Schrodinger's Burger!

#3 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78981 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nope. No point, really; I want a burger with meat. If I wanted a veggie "burger", I'd grill up some portabello mushroom caps. Ooooh wheeeee, you grill those up, toss on some roasted bell pepper, grilled onion (slices, not chopped), butter-leaf lettuce, thick slice of heirloom tomato (or some tomato jam), and a garlicky aoli on it. Maybe a slice or two of provolone. Goooooood.

Nope, I'm waiting for the lab-grown meat to come out, then I'll try a burger-less burger...burger. Because really is it still a burger if it didn't come from a cow, but instead a test tube? The answer is yes...and no...sort of. It's Schrodinger's Burger!

I would say based on the protein source, yes. Lab grown meat is still essentially animal protein.

#4 Edited by judaspete (2691 posts) -

I disagree about Beyond Burgers. They aren't bad, but they don't feel or taste like meat.

The Impossible Burger is great though. You can still tell it isn't meat, but it is close and tastes good. White Castle's impossible sliders actually taste better than their regular ones.

#5 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78981 posts) -

Just tried it tonight and it was actually pretty damn good. But, there was so much ketchup and mayo on there that it was hard to really taste the patty. It was softer than an actual hamburger patty, so if I didn't know what I was eating, I'd think it was a hamburger patty but just undercooked. If I really had to go vegetarian, I'd definitely be able to subsist on this.

#6 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1199 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas: Sure. If they can make something that tastes the same while being less fattening and overall healthier for you, why wouldn’t I?

People that are stuck in the old way of doing crap are doing it to their own detriment.

#7 Posted by Serraph105 (33159 posts) -

@judaspete: I've been interested in trying the impossible burger since I saw it a few years ago. I saw an article recently reviewing the next iteration of the impossible burger saying its even better than before.

Unfortunately it seems like you still can't go to a store and buy it yourself. Only restaurants serve it and no restaurants where I live appear to have it.

#8 Edited by Jacanuk (17444 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/02/beyond-meat-burgers-at-carls-jr/

I tried the Burger King veggie burger, and it was just ok, but my co-worker told me about this and tried it today and he said it was really good. Supposedly, the Beyond Burger veggie patties are supposed to be nearly identical to hamburger patties both in taste and texture. I'm intrigued. Going to try one this week.

Will you try it?

Trying a burger without the burger is like eating a caramel with the paper on, so no I would not try it

But all power to Carl´s for seeing a market trend and making money of the people.

#9 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58842 posts) -

Murder burgers. That's we call hamburgers in my house. It's about time Carl got with the times.

#10 Posted by shellcase86 (4171 posts) -

That's too funny, considering that chain is one of the reasons bacon became such a big deal.

#11 Posted by X_Karen_x (116 posts) -

@shellcase86:

It not responsible for bacon to become popular lol. Bacon always become popular. Is to be anything to make bacon popular from chain restaurant it have to be McJordan from McDonald.

#12 Posted by fireman64 (35 posts) -

I guess I would try one. No Carl's jr near me though.

#13 Posted by Ovirew (8475 posts) -

I may be in the minority, but I really do enjoy soy and veggie burgers. I like that Burger King offers one on their menu, and when I remember it's a thing I usually get it. It helps that it's also pretty affordable, I can get it in a meal combo for less than most of the other numbered offerings.

I think we're reaching a point where people want healthier options at a reasonable price. I have gotten the grilled chicken southwest salad at McDonald's a couple of times now and it's pretty great, also reasonably priced. But I wish they had more than 2 or 3 salads to choose from. And I STILL don't understand why they got rid of the Salad Shaker from years ago - that seems ideal for healthier fast food.

#14 Posted by qx0d (193 posts) -

I agree there's pretty much no point to a meatless burger. The meat is basically the main part of a hamburger.

I can see Subway offering a veggie sandwich, but not Carl's Jr.

Considering how popular hamburgers (with meat) are, I can't see most people going for a meatless burger. It just won't happen, especially not in America.