Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/02/beyond-meat-burgers-at-carls-jr/

I tried the Burger King veggie burger, and it was just ok, but my co-worker told me about this and tried it today and he said it was really good. Supposedly, the Beyond Burger veggie patties are supposed to be nearly identical to hamburger patties both in taste and texture. I'm intrigued. Going to try one this week.

Will you try it?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Nope. No point, really; I want a burger with meat. If I wanted a veggie "burger", I'd grill up some portabello mushroom caps. Ooooh wheeeee, you grill those up, toss on some roasted bell pepper, grilled onion (slices, not chopped), butter-leaf lettuce, thick slice of heirloom tomato (or some tomato jam), and a garlicky aoli on it. Maybe a slice or two of provolone. Goooooood.

Nope, I'm waiting for the lab-grown meat to come out, then I'll try a burger-less burger...burger. Because really is it still a burger if it didn't come from a cow, but instead a test tube? The answer is yes...and no...sort of. It's Schrodinger's Burger!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JustPlainLucas
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nope. No point, really; I want a burger with meat. If I wanted a veggie "burger", I'd grill up some portabello mushroom caps. Ooooh wheeeee, you grill those up, toss on some roasted bell pepper, grilled onion (slices, not chopped), butter-leaf lettuce, thick slice of heirloom tomato (or some tomato jam), and a garlicky aoli on it. Maybe a slice or two of provolone. Goooooood.

Nope, I'm waiting for the lab-grown meat to come out, then I'll try a burger-less burger...burger. Because really is it still a burger if it didn't come from a cow, but instead a test tube? The answer is yes...and no...sort of. It's Schrodinger's Burger!

I would say based on the protein source, yes. Lab grown meat is still essentially animal protein.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

I disagree about Beyond Burgers. They aren't bad, but they don't feel or taste like meat.

The Impossible Burger is great though. You can still tell it isn't meat, but it is close and tastes good. White Castle's impossible sliders actually taste better than their regular ones.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JustPlainLucas

Just tried it tonight and it was actually pretty damn good. But, there was so much ketchup and mayo on there that it was hard to really taste the patty. It was softer than an actual hamburger patty, so if I didn't know what I was eating, I'd think it was a hamburger patty but just undercooked. If I really had to go vegetarian, I'd definitely be able to subsist on this.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Sure. If they can make something that tastes the same while being less fattening and overall healthier for you, why wouldn’t I?

People that are stuck in the old way of doing crap are doing it to their own detriment.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@judaspete: I've been interested in trying the impossible burger since I saw it a few years ago. I saw an article recently reviewing the next iteration of the impossible burger saying its even better than before.

Unfortunately it seems like you still can't go to a store and buy it yourself. Only restaurants serve it and no restaurants where I live appear to have it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/02/beyond-meat-burgers-at-carls-jr/

I tried the Burger King veggie burger, and it was just ok, but my co-worker told me about this and tried it today and he said it was really good. Supposedly, the Beyond Burger veggie patties are supposed to be nearly identical to hamburger patties both in taste and texture. I'm intrigued. Going to try one this week.

Will you try it?

Trying a burger without the burger is like eating a caramel with the paper on, so no I would not try it

But all power to Carl´s for seeing a market trend and making money of the people.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Murder burgers. That's we call hamburgers in my house. It's about time Carl got with the times.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

That's too funny, considering that chain is one of the reasons bacon became such a big deal.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@shellcase86:

It not responsible for bacon to become popular lol. Bacon always become popular. Is to be anything to make bacon popular from chain restaurant it have to be McJordan from McDonald.

fireman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

I guess I would try one. No Carl's jr near me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I may be in the minority, but I really do enjoy soy and veggie burgers. I like that Burger King offers one on their menu, and when I remember it's a thing I usually get it. It helps that it's also pretty affordable, I can get it in a meal combo for less than most of the other numbered offerings.

I think we're reaching a point where people want healthier options at a reasonable price. I have gotten the grilled chicken southwest salad at McDonald's a couple of times now and it's pretty great, also reasonably priced. But I wish they had more than 2 or 3 salads to choose from. And I STILL don't understand why they got rid of the Salad Shaker from years ago - that seems ideal for healthier fast food.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

I agree there's pretty much no point to a meatless burger. The meat is basically the main part of a hamburger.

I can see Subway offering a veggie sandwich, but not Carl's Jr.

Considering how popular hamburgers (with meat) are, I can't see most people going for a meatless burger. It just won't happen, especially not in America.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

All we have is Hardees which is not part of the deal. I have found two restraunts in my town that serves the Impossible Burger. I may give them a call and figure out when they are supposed to get the 2.0 version before I give it a try though. I'm very interested considering the science they utilized to create this stuff.

I mean look at this stuff in it's "raw" form.

That's essentially a mix of vegtables down to the enzymes. That's incredible. No idea if it will be as good, probably not, but I'm incredibly curious to try it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@x_karen_x said:

@shellcase86:

It not responsible for bacon to become popular lol. Bacon always become popular. Is to be anything to make bacon popular from chain restaurant it have to be McJordan from McDonald.

They were part of the reason bacon became a "thing" to add to everything (from salads to tacos, to melts etc) due to influence from the pork industry.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@shellcase86:

It not even a nationwide chain! Lol?

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: If we had a Carls Jr. on our end, I would try it myself.