Can't banned users just make new accounts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts
I was reading through the banned users thread up there, and I'm curious to know...why can't banned users simply make new accounts, tell their friends but not the mods, and then go on posting as usual? Is there some super high tech way of preventing this? I mean, let's be honest...they are probably all still here posting under new names, perhaps posting in the banned users thread, saying they miss themselves, and laughing about it. Am I wrong? Someone explain.
tim22000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tim22000
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

Yes they can, and yes they do.

WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

This belongs in How to GameSpot, and to answer your question they get IP banned so they can't make any new accounts. :)

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
IP bans I guess. Plus you lose your leet rank and post count, like you seem to have.
CrystalFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrystalFox
Member since 2006 • 9908 Posts

IP address.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

That's why they have the capability to ban IPs, although there are even ways around that.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Yes...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts
IP bans I guess. Plus you lose your leet rank and post count, like you seem to have.F1_2004
Hahaha
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elephant_Couple

This belongs in How to GameSpot, and to answer your question they get IP banned so they can't make any new accounts. :)

WeaponXY
There's a "how to ban dodge" section on that board? Yea, I doubt that. And I thought IP bans didn't even really work?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="WeaponXY"]

Elephant_Couple

There's a "how to ban dodge" section on that board? Yea, I doubt that. And I thought IP bans didn't even really work?

They do work, it's just that users find ways around the IP ban to come back.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#12 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Yes, and it's called ban-dodging. Some admins can detect it (what is this sorcery! :P), so they're not exaclty any safer.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
oh i get it, the ban dodger makes a how to ban dodge thread to look innocent, right? right?
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts
oh i get it, the ban dodger makes a how to ban dodge thread to look innocent, right? right?lonewolf604
This is what I was thinking :lol:
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elephant_Couple
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]oh i get it, the ban dodger makes a how to ban dodge thread to look innocent, right? right?MrsSolidSnake

It's a serious thread.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yeah, it's called ban dodging. Some users just change their IP Address. It's not that hard to change it.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
i dont think there is an way to actually ban some one from a site for good...maybe the account but not the person. If your desperate im sure you can always go to your local library, internet cafe, etc etc and just make a new account. or just change their IP address as mentioned above.
my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

I honestly don't get the whole ban-dodging thing. If I ever got banned I would just accept it as either:

1. A failed experiment
  2. Overzealous mods
  3. "No good so-and-sos"
  4. Fate

And move on to another forum. Ho hum ....

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
[QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"]oh i get it, the ban dodger makes a how to ban dodge thread to look innocent, right? right?Elephant_Couple

It's a serious thread.

Now i'm suspicious...
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DEVILinIRON

I know. I thought about this same topic a couple days ago and considered posting it. Now I wish I had. If only to prevent the suspicion surrounding the TC. lol

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

As someone said "Yes they can and yes they do." I don't pay enough attention to be able to pick up on them though, but I'm sure the mods would pay closer attention to what's being said than I would (I skim over a lot of posts and don't pick up on half the things being said).

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DJ-Lafleur

I know. I thought about this same topic a couple days ago and considered posting it. Now I wish I had. If only to prevent the suspicion around the TC. lol

DEVILinIRON

Eh, if he's a ban-dodger, the mods will find out and ban him. If he isn't, then he won't get banned.

So I guess we will find out either way.

Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
I remember one guy changed his IP about 5 times, even bragged about it ... needless to say,he doesnt post anymore lol.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON

[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

I know. I thought about this same topic a couple days ago and considered posting it. Now I wish I had. If only to prevent the suspicion around the TC. lol

DJ-Lafleur

Eh, if he's a ban-dodger, the mods will find out and ban him. If he isn't, then he won't get banned.

So I guess we will find out either way.

Indeed. Ah well.
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Elephant_Couple

I know. I thought about this same topic a couple days ago and considered posting it. Now I wish I had. If only to prevent the suspicion surrounding the TC. lol

DEVILinIRON
Thank you. I mean, when you think about it, that banned thread is completely stupid. It would be like if I was thrown off a bridge and survived, my family thought I died, I came back home and told them I didn't, and they went to my funeral and mourned anyways.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DEVILinIRON
[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

Elephant_Couple
Thank you. I mean, when you think about it, that banned thread is completely stupid. It would be like if I was thrown off a bridge and survived, my family thought I died, I came back home and told them I didn't, and they went to my funeral and mourned anyways.

I dunno. If I were banned, I'd take it as a sign. Then I'd just move on... Hopefully.
Bruin4ev3r1520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bruin4ev3r1520
Member since 2005 • 8843 Posts
I remember one guy changed his IP about 5 times, even bragged about it ... needless to say,he doesnt post anymore lol.Sheena321
I remember that. He thought he was some incredible invincible genius until they threatened to contact his ISP and do much more than just IP ban him
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elephant_Couple
[QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"][QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

DEVILinIRON

I dunno. If I were banned, I'd take it as a sign. Then I'd just move on... Hopefully.

The person who introduced me to these forums got banned, and he's back here posting. Obviously I'm not saying who it is, but I don't understand all the wailing and moaning over people being banned.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="Sheena321"]I remember one guy changed his IP about 5 times, even bragged about it ... needless to say,he doesnt post anymore lol.Bruin4ev3r1520
I remember that. He thought he was some incredible invincible genius until they threatened to contact his ISP and do much more than just IP ban him

Damn, talk about owned. :lol:

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
They can and do. *Looks at TC.*
boxofwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 boxofwonder
Member since 2009 • 467 Posts

[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"][QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"] Thank you. I mean, when you think about it, that banned thread is completely stupid. It would be like if I was thrown off a bridge and survived, my family thought I died, I came back home and told them I didn't, and they went to my funeral and mourned anyways. Elephant_Couple

The person who introduced me to these forums got banned, and he's back here posting. Obviously I'm not saying who it is, but I don't understand all the wailing and moaning over people being banned.

man do you sound sus...

Grandotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grandotaku
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

This looks a little fishy

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]I was reading through the banned users thread up there, and I'm curious to know...why can't banned users simply make new accounts, tell their friends but not the mods, and then go on posting as usual? Is there some super high tech way of preventing this? I mean, let's be honest...they are probably all still here posting under new names, perhaps posting in the banned users thread, saying they miss themselves, and laughing about it. Am I wrong? Someone explain.

Personally i dont see why gamespot gets in such a trouble with the banning. So they ban someone, ban him again, and again, and again. Which pretty much proves that there is no such thing as permenant banning. If a user is causing trouble then ban him. If he makes another acound and makes troubles then ban him again but if he is not making trouble why bother to ban him again? But anyway, their site, their rules!!
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
They can, and some do. There are ways to bypass a ban, but there are ways to look beyond the bypass, too.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

IP bans I guess. Plus you lose your leet rank and post count, like you seem to have.F1_2004

What about if he uses proxy? There is no banning him as he can create thousands of profiles via proxy servers, no matter how much the mods want to ban his IP. :)

Mellosinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mellosinferno
Member since 2010 • 465 Posts
I heard of a way of ban dodging, you create an account on tv.com then log into gamespot.