Canadian wins Super Bowl tickets, is denied entry into US for 1981 pot bust

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ad1x2 (6643 posts) -
Story. Miles Wilkinson, a Seattle Seahawks fan, won a contest sponsored by Bud Light Canada for free tickets to the Super Bowl in LA. However, when he arrived in the US he was denied entry due to being busted with pot when he was 19. He paid a $50 fine for it back when it happened. Bud invited him to a Super Bowl party in Vancouver as a consolation gift. I feel bad for him but at the same time I think he should have done his research on entry requirements to see if any past criminal charges could result in being denied entry and if so if he could apply for a waiver. Thoughts?
#2 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
That sucks, but knowing just how hard it is to get into Canada makes me somewhat less sympathetic.
#3 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

I feel like the US may be a bit too strict when it comes to people visiting the country with criminal histories.

#4 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -
That's harsh
#5 Posted by lamprey263 (34488 posts) -
that sucks, but Canada does the same for people from the US with marijuana convictions
#6 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
well, that's a pretty fvcking stupid reason, but w/e.
#7 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
let this be a lesson for you potheads.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
#8 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

That's just wrong.  

#9 Posted by awesome3496 (2208 posts) -

Well he can always watch the CFL.

#10 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
lolwarondrugs
#11 Posted by Celldrax (15043 posts) -

This is simultaneously both funny and sad.

Busted for pot as a teenager, 30 f*cking years ago, and denied entry just for that? What a joke.

lolwarondrugsZeviander

Also this.

#12 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
that sucks, but Canada does the same for people from the US with marijuana convictionslamprey263
Only because it's a criminal record. They don't give special exceptions because one guy only got busted with a couple g's of weed, and the next guy was in jail for armed robbery. A record's a record. Canada is WAY more lax on people using weed for personal use reasons, even if still illegal. The 1980's was probably the last time they really took it seriously. Now all they care about is getting grow op busts and thinking taking a couple hundred plants off the market is helping.
#13 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Well he can always watch the CFL.awesome3496
Certainly the more interesting version of the game. Most of the time is spent playing rather than sitting around moving the ball down the field 5 yards at a time.
#14 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

Good. I'm glad such a menace to society was kept out of our pristine, crime-free nation.

#15 Posted by ice_radon (70349 posts) -
Yeah, I dunno. That was 30 years ago. I mean if he had a recent one that was a big deal or something, okay, but this was 30 years ago, and if he has had nothing else...
#16 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162170 posts) -
that sucks, but Canada does the same for people from the US with marijuana convictionslamprey263
#17 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

lol potheads

#18 Posted by Diablo-B (4063 posts) -
Lesson: Don't break the law
#19 Posted by tumbIew33d (370 posts) -
Seems a tad harsh when the President of the USA openly admits to having frequently smoked weed in the past.
#20 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Hah owned.
Avatar image for QuebecNationale
#21 Posted by QuebecNationale (146 posts) -

I'm satisfied with this. He's a criminal and shouldn't be allowed to travel to other countries. He should've thought about the consenquences of his actions when he decided to get involved with illegal drugs.

#22 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
rofl land of the free

I'm satisfied with this. He's a criminal and shouldn't be allowed to travel to other countries. He should've thought about the consenquences of his actions when he decided to get involved with illegal drugs.

QuebecNationale
rofl
#23 Posted by one_plum (6503 posts) -

rofl land of the free MrPraline

Seems like there is a ban on common sense.

#24 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

One cannot travel to Canada, at least if you are working, if you have had a DUI.

#25 Posted by SUD123456 (4924 posts) -

Dude should have applied for a pardon decades ago.

#26 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Criminalizing the use of a harmless, naturally occurring substance = stupid.

#29 Posted by Jd1680a (5958 posts) -
Kind of extreme to deny someone entry just because he had procession of pot in 1981. Maybe there is hope for him if could call the US embassy to see if his get his record expunged.
#30 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
i can understand if he committed a major felony, but enforcing this upon someone who committed a misdemeanor is extremely pointless.
#31 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -
[QUOTE="awesome3496"]Well he can always watch the CFL.Zeviander
Certainly the more interesting version of the game. Most of the time is spent playing rather than sitting around moving the ball down the field 5 yards at a time.

nah