can you legally kick someones ass?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -
First let me say that I'm normally not a violent person but there's a guy I work with, really pisses me off. If anyone deserves to get beat, it's him. Can I legally beat him up? would my job be in jeapardy if I beat him up outside of work? what do you suggest I do to legally beat him up?
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
#2 Posted by UrbanSpartan125 (3684 posts) -
In Football it is, otherwise if you are over 18 in the US it is considered assault.
#3 Posted by Spartan_385 (5194 posts) -

if you do it at work you will lose your job with a good chance of going to jail.

The other option is whacking him with a baseball bat when noones looking. ;)

#4 Posted by TallicaFan2005 (4126 posts) -

Apparently if you live in Texas and see someone stealing from someone, and they are unarmed and pose no threat, you can call 911 and say "I'm going to kill the m* F*" and whip out a shotgun and kill them....And you don't even get charges pressed against you!!!

Seriously that's BS, but if you live in Texas you can legally murder people who are stealing stuff I guess.

#5 Posted by junaid15 (1163 posts) -
i dont think so.
#6 Posted by SIapshot (8044 posts) -

In Football it is, otherwise if you are over 18 in the US it is considered assault.UrbanSpartan125

Yes, organize a game of football (American style, not that wussy european crap) and take him down.

#7 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

:roll:

No, you can't legally beat him up. You're not in elementary school anymore.

#8 Posted by Shomb22 (1191 posts) -

Self defense.

Fake that your weak and then bust out of that videogameing containers shell of yours.

no weapons.

#9 Posted by muppet1010 (5812 posts) -

just do it "anonymously" ? :P

i.e. hoodie and a bat

#10 Posted by Paper_Knife (1592 posts) -

hidden bombs in the workplace always do a body good.

#11 Posted by SIapshot (8044 posts) -

Apparently if you live in Texas and see someone stealing from someone, and they are unarmed and pose no threat, you can call 911 and say "I'm going to kill the m* F*" and whip out a shotgun and kill them....And you don't even get charges pressed against you!!!

Seriously that's BS, but if you live in Texas you can legally murder people who are stealing stuff I guess.

TallicaFan2005

Spoken like a true thief.

Seriously, if you are stupid enough to steal from an armed populace, you deserve to get shot.

Spoken like a true New Yorker ;)

#12 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

TallicaFan2005
I think I heard the 911 call on that one, personally I think the boys were gonna kill or at least attack the guy and it was self defense.
#13 Posted by muppet1010 (5812 posts) -

[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"]In Football it is, otherwise if you are over 18 in the US it is considered assault.SIapshot

Yes, organize a game of football (American style, not that wussy european crap) and take him down.

rugby is more brutal than american football... we dont need pads and helmets etc were not pansies ;)

C WUT I DID THAR? :P

#14 Posted by Fire_Ants (4256 posts) -
Sipmly Go up to a random person or a friend and hit their booty with your foot :?
#15 Posted by MattUD1 (20715 posts) -
Self-defense, but that only goes so far.
#16 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"]In Football it is, otherwise if you are over 18 in the US it is considered assault.muppet1010

rugby is more brutal than american football... we dont need pads and helmets etc were not pansies ;)

I agree but I wont be doing anything like that with the guy anytime soon. How about mace to the face or something, is that assault? I kindof had my heart set on kicking his ass but want to be 100percent sure there wont be any legal backlash.
#17 Posted by Fortier (7728 posts) -

Go on Springer or invite him to play a very violent sport with you and a few people who hate him equally as much.

#18 Posted by SIapshot (8044 posts) -
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"]In Football it is, otherwise if you are over 18 in the US it is considered assault.muppet1010

Rugby is for tea drinkers, go get your dollies and your girly little tea set, American football is the most brutal sport in the civilized world. :twisted:
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
#19 Posted by UrbanSpartan125 (3684 posts) -
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

You dont wear pads because you dont hit as hard, we can hit harder because it looks better on tv with pads and you can hear it from a distance, you can break bones very easily in football, i have broken several playing it.
#20 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

I agree but I wont be doing anything like that with the guy anytime soon. How about mace to the face or something, is that assault? I kindof had my heart set on kicking his ass but want to be 100percent sure there wont be any legal backlash.JohnBasedow

If you attack him without provocation, you'll likely be sued. And there have even been cases where robbers have successfully sued the owners of property when they got hurt trying to break in. Sorry, but this is pre-meditated. There's no way in hell you're going to get a 100% certainty of escaping the consequences. So just let it go.

#21 Posted by CheddarLimbo (3909 posts) -

You're going to need to take a few weeks or months, slowly wearing him down, annoying him, insulting him, anonymously terrorizing him until he throws the first punch. Then you can return fire through the cause of self defense.

It would help your case if he's bigger than you, too. Is he?

If that's not to your liking, then you need to get some guys you know that he doesn't know to just anonymously kick his ass outside a bar or something. You wouldn't want to be there - obviously - but he'd have little recourse against a random beating from three strangers that he can't track down later.

Also, violence never solves anything. So, you should probably just grow up and deal with workplace discomfort like everyone else.

#22 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]

I agree but I wont be doing anything like that with the guy anytime soon. How about mace to the face or something, is that assault? I kindof had my heart set on kicking his ass but want to be 100percent sure there wont be any legal backlash.pianist

If you attack him without provocation, you'll likely be sued. And there have even been cases where robbers have successfully sued the owners of property when they got hurt trying to break in. Sorry, but this is pre-meditated. There's no way in hell you're going to get a 100% certainty of escaping the consequences. So just let it go.

what kindof pansyass world do we live in where people who deserve to get their asses kicked roam free....
#23 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]

I agree but I wont be doing anything like that with the guy anytime soon. How about mace to the face or something, is that assault? I kindof had my heart set on kicking his ass but want to be 100percent sure there wont be any legal backlash.JohnBasedow

what kindof pansyass world do we live in where people who deserve to get their asses kicked roam free....

A civilized world. The only reason he 'deserves' to get his ass kicked is you not liking him. Again, this isn't elementary school.

#24 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

You're going to need to take a few weeks or months, slowly wearing him down, annoying him, insulting him, anonymously terrorizing him until he throws the first punch. Then you can return fire through the cause of self defense.

It would help your case if he's bigger than you, too. Is he?

If that's not to your liking, then you need to get some guys you know that he doesn't know to just anonymously kick his ass outside a bar or something. You wouldn't want to be there - obviously - but he'd have little recourse against a random beating from three strangers that he can't track down later.

Also, violence never solves anything. So, you should probably just grow up and deal with workplace discomfort like everyone else.

CheddarLimbo
Some good ideas, although I'm not the best at insulting people and am not sure who to hire. I don't believe that violence never solves anything and I consider myself fairly mature, he just deserves to be taught a lesson.
#25 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]

I believe it's a called a civilied world. We aren't monkeys. Settle your problems with words. That's what grown-ups do.

#26 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"][QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]

I agree but I wont be doing anything like that with the guy anytime soon. How about mace to the face or something, is that assault? I kindof had my heart set on kicking his ass but want to be 100percent sure there wont be any legal backlash.pianist

A civilized world. The only reason he 'deserves' to get his ass kicked is you not liking him. Again, this isn't elementary school.

would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.
#27 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"][QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]

would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.

If it's like that, just kick his ass anyway. Assault is a misdemanor.

#28 Posted by JLAudio7 (2729 posts) -
In texas, if somone trespasses on your property, you can legally kill them, but im not sure if you can legally beat someone anywhere else.EDIT then again, theres always football.
#29 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.JohnBasedow

If he raped or molested someone, he'd be arrested. The police wouldn't just gun him down. It doesn't matter if he's a prick and beating him up isn't going to change that fact. All you'd be doing is acting like a prick yourself.

#30 Posted by muppet1010 (5812 posts) -

In texas, if somone trespasses on your property, you can legally kill them, but im not sure if you can legally beat someone anywhere else.JLAudio7

ive heard about that but is it really true? that if you break into someones house in texas you could shoot to kill with no repercussion!?

#31 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -

[QUOTE="JLAudio7"]In texas, if somone trespasses on your property, you can legally kill them, but im not sure if you can legally beat someone anywhere else.muppet1010

ive heard about that but is it really true? that if you break into someones house in texas you could shoot to kill with no repercussion!?

That's true in a lot of states, not just texas. Generally referred to as "make my day" laws.

#32 Posted by JLAudio7 (2729 posts) -

[QUOTE="JLAudio7"]In texas, if somone trespasses on your property, you can legally kill them, but im not sure if you can legally beat someone anywhere else.muppet1010

Yep. I think its the same if someone breaks into your car too. When I say trespass, however,I'm talking about someone breaking into your house without your knowing/consent. Theres always whackos that will shoot anyone who steps foot on their property though, but ive never seen one IRL, only on tv.
#33 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.pianist

If he raped or molested someone, he'd be arrested. The police wouldn't just gun him down. It doesn't matter if he's a prick and beating him up isn't going to change that fact. All you'd be doing is acting like a prick yourself.

I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.
#34 Posted by spacedog1973 (1144 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.JohnBasedow

I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.

There's lots of folk in prison with that philosophy.

#35 Posted by Sexy_Pirate (3298 posts) -
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

If Rugby players hit as hard as Football players, a lot of them would be dead already.

#36 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.JohnBasedow

Vigilante justice is never effective, because vigilantes do not observe a code of conduct. If you have a bunch of people beating people up for causing 'offence' to someone else, society would quickly degenerate into a bloodbath of quasi-gang warfare. If this guy didn't break the law, it's not your place to deal with him. If he did, it's not your place to deal with him directly.

What you call cowardly I call practical. Vigilante justice is impractical if you want any true sense of justice to exist in a society.

#37 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.JohnBasedow

Your philosophy sounds more like a gang mentality

#38 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.pianist

Vigilante justice is never effective, because vigilantes do not observe a code of conduct. If you have a bunch of people beating people up for causing 'offence' to someone else, society would quickly degenerate into a bloodbath of quasi-gang warfare. If this guy didn't break the law, it's not your place to deal with him. If he did, it's not your place to deal with him directly.

What you call cowardly I call practical. Vigilante justice is impractical if you want any true sense of justice to exist in a society.

I believe in the right hands vigilante justice can be effective.
#39 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.JohnBasedow

No it can't. That undermines the entire idea of the criminal justice system. No onehas the rightto be judge, jury and executioner.

#40 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"][QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]would you feel the same way if he was a child molester or rapist? This guy's the biggest prick I've met in my entire life, it's also not just because I don't like him, it's also for a young girls honor.reddevilyi

Your philosophy sounds more like a gang mentality

cops simply can't keep up with all the crime, even serious crimes. I'm not saying everyone should beat up whomever they want but criminals should be held accountable.
#41 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.JohnBasedow

I don't. Effective vigilante justice would rely on everybody acting logically and rationally. Most vigilante justice is carried out as revenge, and is the product of anger. Gang warfare is a form of vigilante justice. You can't tell me that's more effective than an objective police force and justice system. More brutal and quicker is not necessarily better. And more often than not, people suffer penalties from vigilantes that are unwarranted given their 'crimes.'

#42 Posted by firebreathing (4619 posts) -

TallicaFan2005

lol wtf

#43 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.reddevilyi

No it can't. That undermines the entire idea of the criminal justice system. No onehas the rightto be judge, jury and executioner.

A system where pedos, rapist, ect. get off and honorable men(some who would've be knighted for what they've done in the olden days) get the book thrown at them.
#44 Posted by firebreathing (4619 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]I'm not saying you're a coward but that sounds like cowards philosophy. People should look out for one another.pianist

I don't. Effective vigilante justice would rely on everybody acting logically and rationally. Most vigilante justice is carried out as revenge, and is the product of anger. Gang warfare is a form of vigilante justice. You can't tell me that's more effective than an objective police force and justice system. More brutal and quicker is not necessarily better. And more often than not, people suffer penalties from vigilantes that are unwarranted given their 'crimes.'

you forget that people arent exactly the most logical beings. Justice is not always served (OJ anyone?), so when the system fails what are you to do, just bend over and take it kindly in the rear? I doubt that if someone close to you was killed and the said killer got off scott free you wouldn;t think about revenge.

#45 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -
[QUOTE="reddevilyi"][QUOTE="JohnBasedow"][QUOTE="pianist"]

A system where pedos, rapist, ect. get off and honorable men(some who would've be knighted for what they've done in the olden days) get the book thrown at them.

So just because sometimes justice isn't served, it some how justifies you to bring your own form of justice on people? Becaue you are all knowing and infallible?

#46 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

A system where pedos, rapist, ect. get off and honorable men(some who would've be knighted for what they've done in the olden days) get the book thrown at them.JohnBasedow

You don't honestly think the Medieval notion of justice is superior to the modern day system do you? If so, then it is instant proof of one of the key failings of vigilante justice - a failure for everyone to agree on a suitable punishment. I would fiercely oppose vigilantes hunting down and brutally executing rapists, for example. This isn't because I do not feel they should be punished, but rather because I believe hunting them down and brutally executing them is excessive. But another person - you perhaps - may fully condone hunting down and brutally executing rapists.

There are plenty of people in society nowadays who condone hunting down and brutally executing a person for a racial slur, or for offending a friend. Reasonable? To the person doing the executing, yes. To many others, no. You can't find any reconciliation between such opposing viewpoints. And in such a case, the most violent response will be the one that becomes the status quo. One vigilante hunts down and shoots a person for claiming his girlfriend is a whore. Then one of the murdered man's buddies kills the original vigilante's girlfriend for revenge - an acceptable punishment in his eyes. So the original vigilante gathers up some friends and firebombs the girlfriend-murdering guy's house, killing him and his mother. His incredibly angry friends proceed to do the same to the original vigilante's house.

If you want to see what happens if this is allowed to continue, look at the situation between Israel and Palestine. "Justice" there is nothing more than a series of attacks and counter-attacks. It's a cycle that never ends.

#47 Posted by reddevilyi (740 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]A system where pedos, rapist, ect. get off and honorable men(some who would've be knighted for what they've done in the olden days) get the book thrown at them.pianist

You don't honestly think the Medieval notion of justice is superior to the modern day system do you? If so, then it is instant proof of one of the key failings of vigilante justice - a failure for everyone to agree on a suitable punishment. I would fiercely oppose vigilantes hunting down and brutally executing rapists, for example. This isn't because I do not feel they should be punished, but rather because I believe hunting them down and brutally executing them is excessive. But another person - you perhaps - may fully condone hunting down and brutally executing rapists.

There are plenty of people in society nowadays who condone hunting down and brutally executing a person for a racial slur, or for offending a friend. Reasonable? To the person doing the executing, yes. To many others, no. You can't find any reconciliation between such opposing viewpoints. And in such a case, the most violent response will be the one that becomes the status quo. One vigilante hunts down and shoots a person for claiming his girlfriend is a whore. Then one of the murdered man's buddies kills the original vigilante's girlfriend for revenge - an acceptable punishment in his eyes. So the original vigilante gathers up some friends and firebomb's the girlfriend-murdering guy's house, killing him and his mother. His incredibly angry friends proceed to do the same to the original vigilante's house.

If you want to see what happens if this is allowed to continue, look at the situation between Israel and Palestine. "Justice" there is nothing more than a series of attacks and counter-attacks. It's a cycle that never ends.

Wells said.

#48 Posted by pianist (18899 posts) -

you forget that people arent exactly the most logical beings. Justice is not always served (OJ anyone?), so when the system fails what are you to do, just bend over and take it kindly in the rear? I doubt that if someone close to you was killed and the said killer got off scott free you wouldn;t think about revenge.

firebreathing

Yeah, I probably would. And that's precisely why laws need to exist to prevent me from acting rashly and taking revenge in my own way, thus perpetuating the cycle of violence. Because there are plenty of people who will consider violent revenge against, say, their girlfriend for breaking up with them. And if vigilante justice is the order of the day, they'll have free reign to do whatever the hell they want - and likely become targets of a vigilante themselves for whatever they end up doing.

#49 Posted by IrishMallard (6797 posts) -

thanks to Zionist controlled government. THE JENA6CAN!!!!

#50 Posted by JohnBasedow (858 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnBasedow"]A system where pedos, rapist, ect. get off and honorable men(some who would've be knighted for what they've done in the olden days) get the book thrown at them.pianist

There are plenty of people in society nowadays who condone hunting down and brutally executing a person for a racial slur, or for offending a friend. Reasonable? To the person doing the executing, yes. To many others, no. You can't find any reconciliation between such opposing viewpoints. And in such a case, the most violent response will be the one that becomes the status quo. One vigilante hunts down and shoots a person for claiming his girlfriend is a whore. Then one of the murdered man's buddies kills the original vigilante's girlfriend for revenge - an acceptable punishment in his eyes. So the original vigilante gathers up some friends and firebombs the girlfriend-murdering guy's house, killing him and his mother. His incredibly angry friends proceed to do the same to the original vigilante's house.

I think it is better for some people. I do not condone brutally killing but execution of rapists ect is fine by me. I don't think a civilized society should have to live with a people who react like that to racial slurs and many of them should be deported. I'm not saying its for everyone, some people are qualified to make these decisions and some are not. Taking the law into you own hands is a privilige.