Can someone please explain online ancestry sites to me?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3105 Posts

Why would anyone send their DNA or any other health/medical PII to total strangers online to be stored in a database? Those records are subject to subpoena, they are admissible in court, and people have put themselves in legal jeopardy due to wanting to know if they’re related to Genghis Khan or if they’re second cousins with Shakespeare.

I couldn’t care less if I was related to some historical despot, no one gets my medical information except for my GP.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Just don’t commit any crimes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Caught the Golden State Killer, among others.

Unless you have something to hide, who cares?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

I don't think it really matters, ultimately.

Essentially all of us are forgotten after three generations; I mean, how much do you know about your great grandparents?

Most of us are mutts, anyway, and no one cares if you're related to the Duke of Whatever except you, and saying you are makes you sound like the most pompous self-important tool in the history of mankind.

My dad did it and he was told he was "Western European". WTF does that mean? Well, it turns out he is Spanish, German, French, English, Scottish, and....

@SOedipus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I think a lot of people think life will turn out like some suspense movie, where they'll be framed for a murder and, oh no! That 23 and Me test they did is going to falsely imprison them *gasp*! So, you know, better not do it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup  Online

@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't think it really matters, ultimately.

Essentially all of us are forgotten after three generations; I mean, how much do you know about your great grandparents?

Most of us are mutts, anyway, and no one cares if you're related to the Duke of Whatever except you, and saying you are makes you sound like the most pompous self-important tool in the history of mankind.

My dad did it and he was told he was "Western European". WTF does that mean? Well, it turns out he is Spanish, German, French, English, Scottish, and....

@SOedipus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I think a lot of people think life will turn out like some suspense movie, where they'll be framed for a murder and, oh no! That 23 and Me test they did is going to falsely imprison them *gasp*! So, you know, better not do it.

Haha, yea. Way see it, if someone was really, really desperate to get information or data from average joe, like, Dues Ex type shit with government dudes in heavy trench coats and shades, wouldn't be very hard.

grandporcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 grandporcupine
Member since 2020 • 33 Posts

Maybe scientists still have a lot to learn with DNA, science is still a mystery anyway, and their taking saves of DNA of everyone so in the future, they may have any use for it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Loading Video...

Soon.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Not only that but....

Databases change hands a lot when companies are bought and sold or dissolved (or it leaks).

All data pipelines lead to China.

Would you give your DNA sequence to China?

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Imagine how worse the Holocausts would have been if Germany had 23 and me back in the early 1940's?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Never met my great grandparents but I do know about them. I haven't....and don't plan on........submitting my DNA. I also don't have an account on an ancestry site though people do go there to research family. Nothing wrong with that by the way so I'm not sure why you are bothered.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@mrbojangles25: Never met my great grandparents but I do know about them. I haven't....and don't plan on........submitting my DNA. I also don't have an account on an ancestry site though people do go there to research family. Nothing wrong with that by the way so I'm not sure why you are bothered.

I just think it can be a little narcissistic is all.

Ultimately the point I was trying to make is that if you look it up and find out you're related to some nobleman from France, that doesn't make you noble. Some people buy that, though. Met someone who told me he was related to some duke within five minutes of meeting him for the first time ever; is that supposed to impress me, gain my respect?

I don't care if you are curious, that doesn't bother me. I just care if you're going to let that information influence your life.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I just think it can be a little narcissistic is all.

Ultimately the point I was trying to make is that if you look it up and find out you're related to some nobleman from France, that doesn't make you noble. Some people buy that, though. Met someone who told me he was related to some duke within five minutes of meeting him for the first time ever; is that supposed to impress me, gain my respect?

I don't care if you are curious, that doesn't bother me. I just care if you're going to let that information influence your life.

I don't think his ancestry influenced his life.........he was just excited to be related to royalty I guess. People let lots of stuff influence their life though. Sports for instance. I've met people seriously depressed about a loss. And they argue on social media after every game.