Can Only The Japanese Do Anime?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

on deviantart someone posted character designs of a new manga they were creating very much in line with what you'd see in anime. a few of the commenters said it was fake anime and only japanese can create true anime. any american or european or other asian doing that style is just wannabe crap. is that true?

is something like avatar the last airbender considered anime? its certainly inspired by that style

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
No. A style of cartoon is not exclusive to one nationality. thegerg
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

OMG. You have never watched a Japanese Horror film? So much better than American Horror films.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Technically anime and manga can only be done by Japan because by definition they are comics/cartoons made in Japan. Anyone can replicate the style though, it's not like Japanese are the only ones who can do that style.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Technically anime and manga can only be done by Japan because by definition they are comics/cartoons made in Japan. Anyone can replicate the style though, it's not like Japanese are the only ones who can do that style.Ace6301

tepni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tepni
Member since 2008 • 3214 Posts

Everyone can do the animes

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"]No. A style of cartoon is not exclusive to one nationality. Fightingfan

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#11 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

No. A style of cartoon is not exclusive to one nationality. thegerg

Technically anime and manga can only be done by Japan because by definition they are comics/cartoons made in Japan. Anyone can replicate the style though, it's not like Japanese are the only ones who can do that style. Ace6301

This and this.

The only people I hear say that only the Japanese can draw anime style and that everything else is fake trash are the same ones that go around saying that "Japan is the most kawaiiest and sugoi place evuuuuuuur!!1111"

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
hehe do
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]No. A style of cartoon is not exclusive to one nationality. Lucky_Krystal

Technically anime and manga can only be done by Japan because by definition they are comics/cartoons made in Japan. Anyone can replicate the style though, it's not like Japanese are the only ones who can do that style. Ace6301

This and this.

The only people I hear say that only the Japanese can draw anime style and that everything else is fake trash are the same ones that go around saying that "Japan is the most kawaiiest and sugoi place evuuuuuuur!!1111"

I hate.broken.japanese :|
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Anime has been molded over time so the definition and usage has variances in slang on where in the world it is used. I remember the slang used for japanese animation in the 80s and it wasn't anime. But most japanese fanatic sites, or even casual ones, try and compare crap like naruto or bleach to the 1940s snow white to compare styles and whatnot. Snow White was/is important to japanese animation history nonetheless.

Regardless its a origin designation of Japan. You can't get around that. Demographic wise of course and not ethnically by default.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

OMG. You have never watched a Japanese Horror film? So much better than American Horror films.

dream431ca
He didnt say that the japanese can only do anime. He said can anime only be done by the japanese.
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 black_chamber99

Anime has been molded over time so the definition and usage has variances in slang on where in the world it is used. I remember the slang used for japanese animation in the 80s and it wasn't anime. But most japanese fanatic sites, or even casual ones, try and compare crap like naruto or bleach to the 1940s snow white to compare styles and whatnot. Snow White was/is important to japanese animation history nonetheless.

Regardless its a origin designation of Japan. You can't get around that. Demographic wise of course and not ethnically by default.CreasianDevaili

what was it?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Technically anime and manga can only be done by Japan because by definition they are comics/cartoons made in Japan. Anyone can replicate the style though, it's not like Japanese are the only ones who can do that style.jimkabrhel

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

on deviantart someone posted character designs of a new manga they were creating very much in line with what you'd see in anime. a few of the commenters said it was fake anime and only japanese can create true anime. any american or european or other asian doing that style is just wannabe crap. is that true?

is something like avatar the last airbender considered anime? its certainly inspired by that style

black_chamber99
Uh...I don't know. What's the actual DEFINITION of anime? To be honest, I don't even know. I've seen lots of anime, but I don't think I've ever bothered to learn what anime even IS. If the word "anime" necessarily requires that it be japanese, then obviously only the Japanese can make anime. If the word anime merely refers to a style of animation, then obviously anyone can do it. But...I don't know. I seriously never bothered to take the time to learn what "anime" even means.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#19 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Code Lyoko...
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Whatever the case, they do it the best...
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

No, but prejuidice and stereotypical thinking make it seem that way.

Personally, I can't stand anime-style at all thanks to Deviantart.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

No, but prejuidice and stereotypical thinking make it seem that way.

Personally, I can't stand anime-style at all thanks to Deviantart.

WiiCubeM1
And here you were talking about prejudice. Ah, well. DeviantArt is has no relation to anime, it's where the freakiest artists in the lowest common denominator go to share their freaky art. Not saying the place is bad. I've seen OUTSTANDING art from there. But it's a sketchy place. *shifty eyes*
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

dream431ca
Modern Japanese horror films are jokes. There's a few great surreal Japanese horror films from the '70s, but I haven't seen a single good one post-80's. Animu can be done by anyone and be legit. It's just a drawing.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Anime is a style of animation. Where it comes from shouldn't matter. Though to me, anime is what it is because it's all in Japanese basically (and what a lot of people tend to watch it in).

So to me, there's anime, and then there's anime inspired cartoons. So basically.....it's all the same thing in the end....just different.

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 black_chamber99

Anime is a style of animation. Where it comes from shouldn't matter. Though to me, anime is what it is because it's all in Japanese basically (and what a lot of people tend to watch it in).

So to me, there's anime, and then there's anime inspired cartoons. So basically.....it's all the same thing in the end....just different.

Celldrax

you can't have it both ways bro, its either all anime or its different. it sounds to me like you lean towards the japanese side being the 'true' anime but you fear being called a weeaboo

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

black_chamber99

you can't have it both ways bro, its either all anime or its different. it sounds to me like you lean towards the japanese side being the 'true' anime but you fear being called a weeaboo

No... I personally used to watch lot of anime (not only that, but I wouldn't care if someone called me that anyway).

As I said, it's all the same really. There's just anime that's in Japanese, and anime insipred shows that aren't.

And to clarify.....I have no problems with anime that isn't made in Japan.....I''m just being very specific.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Uh...I don't know. What's the actual DEFINITION of anime?MrGeezer
There are 3 different definitions, depending on who you ask: In the Japanese language anime means every animated movie. Including western stuff. Western anime fans are split between those who define it as "animation made in Japan" and those who define it as "animation style from Japan". I think the second category is a bit more common. But I gotta add: Both groups pretty much agree that no true anime has been made outside of Japan yet.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I'd say it's a style that the Japanese are the best at.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="black_chamber99"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Anime has been molded over time so the definition and usage has variances in slang on where in the world it is used. I remember the slang used for japanese animation in the 80s and it wasn't anime. But most japanese fanatic sites, or even casual ones, try and compare crap like naruto or bleach to the 1940s snow white to compare styles and whatnot. Snow White was/is important to japanese animation history nonetheless.

Regardless its a origin designation of Japan. You can't get around that. Demographic wise of course and not ethnically by default.

what was it?

Japanimation. Of course this was back when you had to order vhs tapes usually dubbed in brazil since no one was dubbing animation from japan. Well, not common animation. I still feel anime is just a origin designation and not an art designation. Just check out the early stuff and you will see. Check out Wakfu animated series on youtube to see something that I think uses that art form just fine. Its French however.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

It's a style. Anyone can learn it.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

In the Japanese language anime means every animated movie. Including western stuff. Reptylus

I was going to post something like this, but it's really anything that has to do with animation.

I really have no idea why people get so worked up when they see works that are inspired by "anime." It's not as if the creators of the projects are trying to take over the industry by aping a style they find aesthetically pleasing. Nor were they trying to masquerade it as something Japanese. The people (weeaboos) that do make the claim that a particular style can only be made by a people of a particular nationality are shortsighted. For example: I don't think it was ever the case that the creators of Avatar were trying to appeal to a Japanese sensibility when it comes to story telling and character development. It was made with an American audience in mind. So when someone says that "Avatar" will never be true anime; it's a poor argument, as it never tried to be.

When people say that only the Japanese can create "true anime", it's a simplified statement. There's some truth to it, as things produced in Japan have to appeal to the domestic audience. There are differences between our cultures (inb4 America has no culture) and what people find to be acceptable. To ignore that side of things is a very silly thing to do.

While it's sort of true that "true anime" can only made by the Japanese, I don't think it was ever the goal of the people making such projects to pass it off as such. They were influenced by an art style that they liked, I don't see how people can interpret it as anything else (unless they're jumping to conclusions).

And Avatar can be considered anime.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Manga's just comics with a general art style. I mean what would you call comics from say Korea with that art style?

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Manga's just comics with a general art style. I mean what would you call comics from say Korea with that art style?

cain006

I believe the Korean version of manga is manwha. Not sure if that's the general term for comics in Korea or just the ones that have the anime style.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Of course not.
However, a lot of anime (at least the ones I watch) have a level of abstraction or even complete weirdness you don't often see in western cartoons.
Japanese are good at giving their own unique twist on things because they are not western.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]No. A style of cartoon is not exclusive to one nationality. Lucky_Krystal

This and this.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

You worded it the wrong way.........

"Anime" is French for animation....so this is kinda dumb......

You should've said "Japanimation or Japanese anime".

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

samurai jack

/end

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an American-aminated, Anime inspired show.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

PinkiePirate
yeah and its actually one of the Best anime I've ever seen. Although anime is mostly about "that" art style, its also more than the art style.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreekGameManiac

PinkiePirate

American animated?

Lol..............

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

Everyone can do the animes

tepni

This, Americans can do very well with animes also, depending on which anime they do make of course

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

American animated?

Lol..............

Check out Wakfu animated series on youtube for a non japanese animated anime that uses the art style well.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

American animated?

Lol..............

Check out Wakfu animated series on youtube for a non japanese animated anime that uses the art style well.

I'm almost entirely sure he means that it's not actually entirely American animated. In fact it's largely animated by Koreans.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

No, but they still do it the best.

Sailor Moon. <3

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
The style? No I mean look at Avatar, that was done here in America....I think
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Just pop on deviantART. There's about a billion users on there that draw manga/anime perfectly and barely any of them are asian (based on their current country of residence/deviant ID picture). I had a friend who drew the style near perfectly who wasn't asian too.

Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

There's some debate about this, but what I think I've read most often is that anime are 'eastern cartoons'. I wish we could call them that, if not just 'cartoons'.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GreekGameManiac

*sigh*

Ppl are so dumb and misinformed.....

One more time.

AnimE,is a FRENCH word,for ANIMATION.

So NO,the Japanese aren't the only ones who can do it.

@Darthkaiser...have you seen the credits?

Just because Americans wrote it,DOESN'T mean it's animated by them.Avatar was animated by Asians.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

GreekGameManiac: in that case it's more likely a borrowed word that was taken from the French language.

but merriam-webster says you're wrong

Origin ofANIME

Japanese, animation, short for animshiyon, from English First Known Use: 1988merriam-webster

source