Can I get your input on something?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ColdExistence
Member since 2011 • 974 Posts

What do you think of this? It's a song I wrote, and my first song that I now show to the world. I have many more that I wrote. If people like this, I'll record the other ones, too.

(Fixed it so it looks less spammy)

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

TBH...I actually really like it.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

I'm not a metal fan. As a guitarist who writes his own stuff as well I won't dump on you. The only thing I really see missing in the song is a part for lyrics. There seems to be too much going on to ever sing over. Then again, I'm no metal fan. The band I can play almost every song from is Pink Floyd. About 15 years and counting of learning that stuff.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
I voted No, but only because you put 4 yes's, and only one no.... My serious input for your music, though, is this: It reminds me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, as well as Metallica's Orchestral album. I have a question, did you actually play any of the instruments here? Or did you use some sort of mixing program to put samples and what not together?
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ColdExistence

I'm not a metal fan. As a guitarist who writes his own stuff as well I won't dump on you. The only thing I really see missing in the song is a part for lyrics. There seems to be too much going on to ever sing over. Then again, I'm no metal fan. The band I can play almost every song from is Pink Floyd. About 15 years and counting of learning that stuff.

Mikey132

I wouldn't say there's much going on compared to many other Metal bands, and those bands even manage to lay down vocals on their stuff. I don't know about doing vocals or lyrics. I find it frustrating. If I can find someone who's willing to record vocals for me, I might try it.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mikey132

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

ColdExistence

I wouldn't say there's much going on compared to many other Metal bands, and those bands even manage to lay down vocals on their stuff. I don't know about doing vocals or lyrics. I find it frustrating. If I can find someone who's willing to record vocals for me, I might try it.

That's where I have a problem too. Even just my guitar and I, I find vocals frustrating as hell. If from this point you start to think about and incorporate vocals the song could be good. In honesty, it sounds like instruments making up for the lack of vocals.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

It reminds me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, as well as Metallica's Orchestral album. Franklinstein

Which means that I really really like it! You should blog about your process as well as providing more links to other songs.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Mikey132

That's where I have a problem too. Even just my guitar and I, I find vocals frustrating as hell. If from this point you start to think about and incorporate vocals the song could be good. In honesty, it sounds like instruments making up for the lack of vocals.

I had a very similar problem. The way I got over this hump in my guitar abilities is by practicing songs by other people. Obviously the same song I used won't work for your musical genre/your musical instrument preferences, but I used the song "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. Once I learned how to play the guitar and sing at the same time, singing along with other things that I make up is much much easier. Anyway... this worked for me, so if you can find a song with your musical preferences and you can practice the vocals on that song until you really have it, you can transfer that skill into original work. It worked for me anyway...
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ColdExistence

I voted No, but only because you put 4 yes's, and only one no.... My serious input for your music, though, is this: It reminds me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, as well as Metallica's Orchestral album. I have a question, did you actually play any of the instruments here? Or did you use some sort of mixing program to put samples and what not together?Franklinstein
I didn't sample anything. I recorded about 7 guitar tracks. I did a bit of copy and paste, as there is no point in putting that much effort into a rough demo. The bass and keyboards I wrote with, well, my computer keyboard. I don't have an actual bass guitar or one of those midi keyboards because I'm too cheap, for now. But yes, I did all this by myself.

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ColdExistence

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]It reminds me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, as well as Metallica's Orchestral album. Synthia

Which means that I really really like it! You should blog about your process as well as providing more links to other songs.

I'm afraid I'm not too good at blogging or whatever, but if you have any questions or anything, just ask. I'll keep posting new songs on that Youtube channel as I make them. Gonna start on the next one tomorrow, which will be a little more difficult cause the song is a little bit more complex. And thanks for liking it.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]I voted No, but only because you put 4 yes's, and only one no.... My serious input for your music, though, is this: It reminds me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, as well as Metallica's Orchestral album. I have a question, did you actually play any of the instruments here? Or did you use some sort of mixing program to put samples and what not together?ColdExistence

I didn't sample anything. I recorded about 7 guitar tracks. I did a bit of copy and paste, as there is no point in putting that much effort into a rough demo. The bass and keyboards I wrote with, well, my computer keyboard. I don't have an actual bass guitar or one of those midi keyboards because I'm too cheap, for now. But yes, I did all this by myself.

Well, in that case, it's much more impressive. It would have been impressive regardless; as it takes skill to arrange that much music into something that doesn't sound terrible.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
It actually sounds pretty good. Keep it up.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Wow I've been looking for something like this for ages. Thanx TC.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mikey132

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]I wouldn't say there's much going on compared to many other Metal bands, and those bands even manage to lay down vocals on their stuff. I don't know about doing vocals or lyrics. I find it frustrating. If I can find someone who's willing to record vocals for me, I might try it.

Franklinstein

I had a very similar problem. The way I got over this hump in my guitar abilities is by practicing songs by other people. Obviously the same song I used won't work for your musical genre/your musical instrument preferences, but I used the song "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. Once I learned how to play the guitar and sing at the same time, singing along with other things that I make up is much much easier. Anyway... this worked for me, so if you can find a song with your musical preferences and you can practice the vocals on that song until you really have it, you can transfer that skill into original work. It worked for me anyway...

I can sing Money, Mother, Wish you were here, plus other Floyd songs. For me I think the hardest obstacle to pass is having what you write being rejected. It's like I count myself out before the game ever begins.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Mikey132

I can sing Money, Mother, Wish you were here, plus other Floyd songs. For me I think the hardest obstacle to pass is having what you write being rejected. It's like I count myself out before the game ever begins.

Unfortunately the only cure for that is to just do it. Not that your asking for this advice, but the way I got over that is by telling myself that my material is much better than some of the stuff that people aren't afraid to put on the radio, like "Three Days Grace" and "Hinder"

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mikey132

In this aspect of my life the fear of rejection has always been greater than the aspect of accomplisment. If I could kick a pansies ass for shaving his chest I should be able to say whatever I want without regard to what others think.

I'm a man with the world at my feet who's too scared to take a ******* step!

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ColdExistence

In this aspect of my life the fear of rejection has always been greater than the aspect of accomplisment. If I could kick a pansies ass for shaving his chest I should be able to say whatever I want without regard to what others think.

Mikey132

I don't have that fear for some reason. There's always some one out there will like your stuff.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

ColdExistence

I don't have that fear for some reason. There's always some one out there will like your stuff.

I agree Cold, @ Mikey. If you have friends that you can play music with, that is also very helpful because it takes some of the constant attention away from yourself, and instead you only have a third or a fourth of that attention focussed on you solely.
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
It reminded me a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra I liked it, good job! :)
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It's not bad, it isn't. Now you should find someone who can sing.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mikey132

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Franklinstein

I agree Cold, @ Mikey. If you have friends that you can play music with, that is also very helpful because it takes some of the constant attention away from yourself, and instead you only have a third or a fourth of that attention focussed on you solely.

Want to hear a good story, too bad if answer is no, I'm typing it. I started to play when I was 13. My older brother who was 2 years older than me played in more than 1 band, (lol, I just found out at Christmas he played in a Faith No More tribute band.... shocking, I know)

Anyways in my teenage years I said to him one night "you know there's brothers in Collective Soul?" (at that time I was really looking forward to playing in a band) He said "Do you want to know why that will never happen?" The rest I forget because at the time I didn't want to hear it. I looked up to him, being in a band and taking music courses.

Now, in the summer of 2010 he heard me play a guitar for the first time in over 10 years. He was shocked at how good I was, like "when did you learn how to do that?" then proceeded to tell me I was even better than him on one now.

And after losing my best friend and his moving away we've become closer. He even got my mom to buy him an Acoustic Bass for christmas so he can play with me when were together. I'd go jam with him more but he's over an hour away.

That could be the reason for me worrying about rejection.... if I get it from my own brother whom I looked up too so much.

And after playing with him now he says. "You're really good, but you lack the experiance of jammin".......... probly thanks to you mofo!!!!!!! lol

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
Muddy mix, but otherwise I like it. Better than a lot of symphonic metal.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="ColdExistence"]I don't have that fear for some reason. There's always some one out there will like your stuff.

Mikey132

Want to hear a good story, too bad if answer is no, I'm typing it. I started to play when I was 13. My older brother who was 2 years older than me played in more than 1 band, (lol, I just found out at Christmas he played in a Faith No More tribute band.... shocking, I know)

Anyways in my teenage years I said to him one night "you know there's brothers in Collective Soul?" (at that time I was really looking forward to playing in a band) He said "Do you want to know why that will never happen?" The rest I forget because at the time I didn't want to hear it. I looked up to him, being in a band and taking music courses.

Now, in the summer of 2010 he heard me play a guitar for the first time in over 10 years. He was shocked at how good I was, like "when did you learn how to do that?" then proceeded to tell me I was even better than him on one now.

And after losing my best friend and his moving away we've become closer. He even got my mom to buy him an Acoustic Bass for christmas so he can play with me when were together. I'd go jam with him more but he's over an hour away.

That could be the reason for me worrying about rejection.... if I get it from my own brother whom I looked up too so much.

And after playing with him now he says. "You're really good, but you lack the experiance of jammin".......... probly thanks to you mofo!!!!!!! lol

You know... I bet he doesn't even realize how much damage those few little words did. Just think of all of those years playing alone as practice. The more you play with others, the more comfortable you become doing it. I've played for 12 years now, but I've only played with others for the last 2 or 3 years. The people I play music with live 3 hours away, so I know how that feels.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ColdExistence
[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"] I agree Cold, @ Mikey. If you have friends that you can play music with, that is also very helpful because it takes some of the constant attention away from yourself, and instead you only have a third or a fourth of that attention focussed on you solely. Franklinstein

You know... I bet he doesn't even realize how much damage those few little words did. Just think of all of those years playing alone as practice. The more you play with others, the more comfortable you become doing it. I've played for 12 years now, but I've only played with others for the last 2 or 3 years. The people I play music with live 3 hours away, so I know how that feels.

I wish I've been playing for that long. I've been playing like 5 or 6 years. If I had 12 years of experience I could probably make something way better.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Franklinstein

I wish I've been playing for that long. I've been playing like 5 or 6 years. If I had 12 years of experience I could probably make something way better.

ColdExistence

Well... if you keep it up, you'll reach, and surpass, 12.... I know people who've been playing for longer than I've been alive (23 years).

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

Mikey132
Did I enter the chest shave thread or the beating up thread? :? As a fan of neo-classical / melodic metal, it wasn't hard for me to like it at all. Feels like it drags on in some parts, though.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ColdExistence

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Nude_Dude

Did I enter the chest shave thread or the beating up thread? :? As a fan of neo-classical / melodic metal, it wasn't hard for me to like it at all. Feels like it drags on in some parts, though.

I agree with you. It was my original intent to have some awesome shred parts in between the verses, an epic solo and an intro with clean guitars, but those things never really materialized for this song. Sometimes I just get stuck on songs and move onto the next one, though I always come back to make them better. The next one won't drag on, though. I've revised it several times over a course of a few months.

DocDelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 DocDelicious
Member since 2011 • 410 Posts
Being a musician (somewhat, I enjoy theory more than actually playing these days) I can appreciate your talent...however...imo the world does not need more metal. You should get into folk/jazz.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ColdExistence

Being a musician (somewhat, I enjoy theory more than actually playing these days) I can appreciate your talent...however...imo the world does not need more metal. You should get into folk/jazz.DocDelicious
I should do what I like. That's what I think. And I don't like Jazz at all, and only some Folk. Generally, Folk Metal, not actual Folk.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
I don't like metal other than thrash metal but that was listenable. Mixing/mastering it better I think would have even more of an impact My issue is repetition, the guitar riff just doesn't deviate enough and the piano needs some variety I think. But hey it's better than my crap I'm trying to produce.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ColdExistence
I don't like metal other than thrash metal but that was listenable. Mixing/mastering it better I think would have even more of an impact My issue is repetition, the guitar riff just doesn't deviate enough and the piano needs some variety I think. But hey it's better than my crap I'm trying to produce.shadowkiller11
I literally put this together in 30 minutes. It's just a rough demo, but I'll work on the mixing.