Can extreme cold crack glass?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Half-Life_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Half-Life_man
Member since 2006 • 6302 Posts

I don't know about you but here in Wisconsin we have windows that have one very thick pane of glass, another pane of glass, a screen, and heavy weatherstrips all around and this morning I woke up with a huge crack in my window. It's not in a spiderweb pattern, no its not from me throwing something at the window (plus when i went to sleep I saw no crack) and it's weird, it runs from the bottom of the pane to the top, but it doesn't go all the way through the glass, it's on the thick pane, on the side away from my room. I'm thinking it got so effing cold that the cold cracked the window :o

I hope i don't get in trouble

KidPriestess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KidPriestess
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yeah, it can. I've left a glass cup in my grandma's freezer before and it broke in there. But she's got the cold setting thing set alot higher than it should be for some reason.
beaudman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 beaudman
Member since 2002 • 465 Posts

Maybe if it's really warm in your house, and it get's really cold outside very fast at night. I'm not sure though. I've cracked a couple coffee pots from washing the pot too soon after making coffee.

Anyone else know for sure?

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts

Maybe if it's really warm in your house, and it get's really cold outside very fast at night. I'm not sure though. I've cracked a couple coffee pots from washing the pot too soon after making coffee.

Anyone else know for sure?

beaudman

Not for sure, but that makes sense.

booshdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 booshdy
Member since 2006 • 402 Posts
You could have just google'd it ;) but yeah I think it can?
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
yes, especially if cold glass is warmed up rapidly.
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts

Yes the same thing happens if the glass gets too hot and the thickness of the glass.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
It happens if the glass is subjected to a large, sudden temperature change. So if you heat glass too fast or cool it too fast it will crack.
ciaxhieu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ciaxhieu
Member since 2005 • 19014 Posts
if i put water in a glass cub and set it in the freezer, set it to high it will crack the glass cub yes
Roland1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Roland1987
Member since 2004 • 3038 Posts
Yes, extreme cold can shatter glass. What seems more likely is that the ground shifted and the window cracked (In my house the ground often shifts through out the year, often resulting in a few cracks in the basment foundation and in the drywall inside.
Roland1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Roland1987
if i put water in a glass cub and set it in the freezer, set it to high it will crack the glass cub yes ciaxhieu

Most likely not, the water would freeze, but the top is open so the ice wouldn't just shatter the glass (unless the cup is sealed)

StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts

I don't know about you but here in Wisconsin we have windows that have one very thick pane of glass, another pane of glass, a screen, and heavy weatherstrips all around and this morning I woke up with a huge crack in my window. It's not in a spiderweb pattern, no its not from me throwing something at the window (plus when i went to sleep I saw no crack) and it's weird, it runs from the bottom of the pane to the top, but it doesn't go all the way through the glass, it's on the thick pane, on the side away from my room. I'm thinking it got so effing cold that the cold cracked the window :o

Half-Life_man

In the very tip top of minnesota in the Iron Range trees have been known to expload from quick changes in temperature.

Its pretty loud apparently. I have never seen it happen as I live in the twin cities close to the southern border but all of the old guys in my family who grew up in the north talk about it from time to time.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
[QUOTE="Half-Life_man"]

StealthedRogue

In the very tip top of minnesota in the Iron Range trees have been known to expload from quick changes in temperature.

Its pretty loud apparently. I have never seen it happen as I live in the twin cities close to the southern border but all of the old guys in my family who grew up in the north talk about it from time to time.

Bwahahah! Exploding trees!

..not saying I don't believe you, that's just plain funny. :P
StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="StealthedRogue"][QUOTE="Half-Life_man"]

22Toothpicks

Bwahahah! Exploding trees!

..not saying I don't believe you, that's just plain funny. :P

To be honest I dont believe it myself. Apparently its like an urban legend for old hunters or something. I think its probably a mixture of hearing gunshots and seeing a tree that got hit by a bullet or something.

Then again there are some crazy temp changes in this state, it can go from 50 degrees to like zero or less over night once winter decides to come around.

Maybe I guess.

cliff122316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 cliff122316
Member since 2005 • 2333 Posts
but every explanation involves rapid temperature change. (i think) so how could that have happened to his window?
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
[QUOTE="ciaxhieu"]if i put water in a glass cub and set it in the freezer, set it to high it will crack the glass cub yes Roland1987

Most likely not, the water would freeze, but the top is open so the ice wouldn't just shatter the glass (unless the cup is sealed)

It does sometimes... My sister broke a cup (or is it "cub :lol: ) after she left it in the freezer.
jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts
I broke a cup while doing the dishes one, scrubbing on the inside of the cup and it cracked on me. Now I have a huge scar on my thumb because of that
Roland1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Roland1987

but every explanation involves rapid temperature change. (i think) so how could that have happened to his window?cliff122316

Well it is possible, but like i said in an earlier post, i think it is more likely that the ground shifted causing a crack.

Half-Life_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Half-Life_man
Member since 2006 • 6302 Posts

yeah maybe the ground shifted, I have to buy a new window now :(

By the way, in the book Brian's Winter trees explode due to water seeping under the bark and hardening into ice

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Yes extreme changes in temperature can break perfectly good glass, but it's unlikely your window went through these changes since I believe the difference in temp is over 100 degrees. What's more likely is that you had a chip in your window, or a hairline crack, and when it got cold it caused it to make a larger crack much like the one you described.

So technically the cold did crack your window, but it was the cold and the previous chip/crack, not just extreme cold.