Can A Black Person Be A Racist?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Can A Black Person Be A Racist? (134 votes)

Yes 93%
No 7%

Lets take this one on right know. It doesn't need to be black, it can be of another race. Can a person person, regardless of its race, be a racist? I do believe a person, regardless of its race, can be a racist. What say you OT?

• 
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#151 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Am reminded of those questions that wk77 would ask. Pointless questions that we all sided with common sense on

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@dave123321 said:

@MBirdy88: TC's an odd fellow that gives credence to the misinformed

... he had to ask this?

my mind is blown... I expect this kind of question from a 6 year old -_-; .... this tops 99% of the things you see on "spell it out for me" subreddit.

mind blown.

If this blows your mind, there isn't much hope for you.

I wasn't the one that asked the question.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#153  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Master_Live said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@dave123321 said:

@MBirdy88: TC's an odd fellow that gives credence to the misinformed

... he had to ask this?

my mind is blown... I expect this kind of question from a 6 year old -_-; .... this tops 99% of the things you see on "spell it out for me" subreddit.

mind blown.

If this blows your mind, there isn't much hope for you.

I wasn't the one that asked the question.

If you actually read the thread then you might have come across post #55 which explains why I made the thread, not that there was any doubt in my mind which was the correct answer.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 dave123321

@Master_Live: the question was such an oddball thing to ask regardless. It's like asking OT if an unethical embezzler should face punishment

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Anyone can be racist/sexist/homophobic.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@samanthademeste said:

Can gay people be homophobic?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@samanthademeste said:

Have you seen American Beauty? Gay people can be the most homophobic of them all.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@KHAndAnime:

Yeah, I saw that movie. Don't remember...who was gay in that film?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Of course.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@Master_Live: "As for people asking what I made this thread/question, fear not. It sprung from another thread where someone made this ridiculous "minorities" being racist shouldn't be called "racism" because it might not be "institutionalized" argument."

So you thought you would go a step further and ask an even more ridiculous question than the statement that inspired you to ask it and you single out black people aswell. Winning!! :/

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@Master_Live: "As for people asking what I made this thread/question, fear not. It sprung from another thread where someone made this ridiculous "minorities" being racist shouldn't be called "racism" because it might not be "institutionalized" argument."

So you thought you would go a step further and ask an even more ridiculous question than the statement that inspired you to ask it and you single out black people aswell. Winning!! :/

Someone's sensitive today....

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Dumb thread. srs.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Nope.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Xeno_ghost

@LJS9502_basic: dumb threads get me feeling emotional......

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@samanthademeste said:

Theycertainly can be self hating.. We have seen quite a few stories of supposed anti-gay speakers and heads being discovered that they were committing homosexual activities in secret.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@LJS9502_basic: dumb threads get me feeling emotional......

Don't take the internet seriously....

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Anyone can be racist.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

1. Racism is born of human character flaws.

2. Black people are human.

3. Therefore, black people are capable of human character flaws.

4. Therefore, black people can be racist.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@LJS9502_basic: any stupid question you can think of and it would be no where near as stupid as this thread lol

I bet he just wants this thread to die and be forgotten about lol

Bless him.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

Racism refers to systematized discrimination that is imbued within the power structure of a society, so no. I feel the hangup here is on the word "racism" and not on that distinction itself. If it helps you to use a different word to distinguish between systematized discrimination and other forms of racial discrimination I have no problem with that, I do have a problem with the distinction getting lost because of semantics.

That's not quite the definition of racism....seems you made up your own definition to fit your bias. And yes....anyone of any race can be racist.

I'm also not the first person to make this distinction, there's a large intellectual community that laid down this definition long before I came along.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#172  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Hell yeah they can be racist

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

Racism refers to systematized discrimination that is imbued within the power structure of a society, so no. I feel the hangup here is on the word "racism" and not on that distinction itself. If it helps you to use a different word to distinguish between systematized discrimination and other forms of racial discrimination I have no problem with that, I do have a problem with the distinction getting lost because of semantics.

That's not quite the definition of racism....seems you made up your own definition to fit your bias. And yes....anyone of any race can be racist.

I'm also not the first person to make this distinction, there's a large intellectual community that laid down this definition long before I came along.

So because you're not the only person who is wrong that means you're right?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

well if you repeat a lie enough, it becomes truth

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 dave123321

I do feel pretty bad for the tc

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By dave123321

As for the word definitions and stuff I take the side of just debating the intent of the thread or words in question. It is much more to the point and avoids back and forth on somewhat unrelated issues. Like the intent of this thread was to ask if blacks can be prejudice towards others. Simply asking if they will judge people based upon the color of their skin and their ideas of the group they have constructed in their mind. That is what is being asked. That is what we should deal with. The other stuff tends to confuse the issue.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 theone86

@dave123321: No, the point of this thread was to ask if black people can be racist towards others, not prejudiced. I think this is where people are getting caught up. Saying black people can't be racist isn't saying they can't hold prejudicial views, it's simply saying that those views aren't built in to the existing power structure in society.

@toast_burner said:

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

No, LJ said that I was making up my own definition of racism and I was simply pointing out that this isn't something I just pulled out of my ass.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 dave123321

@theone86: the tc is the one who decides what the intent of this thread is and I will leave it to him to say what it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@theone86 said:

@dave123321: No, the point of this thread was to ask if black people can be racist towards others, not prejudiced. I think this is where people are getting caught up. Saying black people can't be racist isn't saying they can't hold prejudicial views, it's simply saying that those views aren't built in to the existing power structure in society.

@toast_burner said:

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

No, LJ said that I was making up my own definition of racism and I was simply pointing out that this isn't something I just pulled out of my ass.

So by your definition of racism nobody can be racist?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By dave123321

We all seem to agree on what the tc meant to say, so now we have moved on to the different subject of what racism is vs what prejudice is. That is fine, I just want people to be clear about the distinction of the debates.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 dave123321

Far too often the unclarification of what the debate is leads to false beliefs about what exactly people believe. Like there is much common ground that gets lost on the participants since they have a shaky idea of what the other party is putting forth

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 theone86

@toast_burner said:

@theone86 said:

@toast_burner said:

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@theone86 said:

So by your definition of racism nobody can be racist?

My initial reaction was no, but now that I think about it, kinda. If racism is systematized discrimination then any singular act of prejudice isn't creating a system of inequality in a single instant. That being said, certain acts of prejudice play more into the pre-existing system than others. With anti-black racial slurs there's a long history of trying to portray African-Americans as less than fully human, whereas with anti-white slurs it's simply derogatory and racially-based. I think, too, that part of the motivation for making the distinction in the first place was to highlight less overt forms of racism, where perhaps a manager of a business doesn't have any prejudice against black people that he's aware of, yet still passes perfectly qualified black candidates over for promotion or hiring. I had a manager once who would go through applications and throw out names that weren't "normal." She still ended up hiring a black employee, but one with a "normal" name. There were literally dozens of people who never even got an interview because their names "sounded black." That's discrimination that plays on systematic racism, and that's something that white people, by and large, never have to face (there is some discrimination against white people with names that don't fall into the normal category, though what is meant by normal is traditional Anglo-Saxon derived names).