Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll California VS Texas (27 votes)

California 44%
Texas 56%

Which is the better state to live in, OT? I have never been to either state, which is why I am asking you, OT posters.

• 
Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 VampiricLunatic
Member since 2015 • 72 Posts

Out of those two Texas, I wouldn't live in either though.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#2 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

Aren't you from Quebec,Canada???

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

California by a billion miles.

DammitDanbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DammitDanbo
Member since 2015 • 428 Posts

You people should add a reason why...

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Neither, I rather live in Maine!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

California is extremely expensive, my wife and her family are from there ( Grover Beach ), for example, pretty much the same house that in Texas costs you $150,000 in California costs $350,000; there was a time when my wife wanted us to move to the US and I really gave it a good thought to the point I started to investigate cost of real estate, places I could work and things like that, my idea was to sell my properties in Mexico and a house I have in McAllen to purchase a house in Cali, no need to say that it wasn´t going to work that easily. We finally abandoned the idea of moving to Cali ( and ended up canceling the idea of moving to the States ) the truth is I had nothing to do there while in McAllen I was not going to have any problem, I already had where to live, I have friends with businesses where I could work in case I wanted, I could even work in Mexico and live in McAllen, it was just a matter of crossing the border twice a day. Really, other than Texas I would not live anywhere else in the US.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Yikes... Why not choose somewhere like Maine?

California is a gorgeous place to visit, but I can not imagine living there. I must have four seasons. Plus it's so pricey, and earthquakes.

Texas is... too hot and too notoriously conservative/Christian for me. People who live there say they like it, but then again, people who live in Florida say they like Florida... Blah.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

How bout neither? California is suffering a historical drought, has earthquakes/forest fire problems, and is one of the most expensive states in the US to live in.. Texas has tornado problems, gets extremely hot, and large portions of the state has a EXTREME conservative slant that would put off most people who lived in other first world nations..

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I live in California in Silicon Valley. Rather expensive to live here.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

tough choice actually. cali is stupid expensive and is very crowded (at least in places there where you would WANT to live ), drought issues, earthquake threats etc. texas is way cheaper but the sun hates it and the only place worth living in in texas is probably austin.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon

@sSubZerOo said:

How bout neither? California is suffering a historical drought, has earthquakes/forest fire problems, and is one of the most expensive states in the US to live in.. Texas has tornado problems, gets extremely hot, and large portions of the state has a EXTREME conservative slant that would put off most people who lived in other first world nations..

Earthquakes was one of the reasons why I had serious thoughts about Cali, I often joked my wife about going to bed on the continent and waking up in an island in the middle of the Pacific. Tornados in Texas depend on where you´re at, pretty much, every town/city north of San Antonio is in "Tornado Alley", my plans were to move to southern TX, to me McAllen is paradise, it´s close to the ocean but not right next to the Gulf so hurricanes aren´t such a big problem, there are no earthquakes, it´s right across the border so if I feel the crave about eating tacos all I have to do is cross to Mexico, the town is nice and I don´t mind about the warm climate, actually I love heat and it does´t get any hotter than where I live now.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

California is the only place in USA I would ever consider.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

My dream...

To live and die in L.A.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Texas. Cali seems like it's where all the crazies live to me.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I'd like to visit both, I've only been to New York in the US.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

California's all right.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Neither, they're both too hot for me and probably have all kinds of nasty bugs and critters. Texas has a lower cost of living and lower taxes though, plus didn't Cali have to release a lot of prisoners because their prisons are too crowded? And the state government there is pretty broke, so out of the two I'd rather live in Texas. Though Northern California is probably not as hot as Texas and Southern California. But from what I understand people are moving out of California and into Texas.

I'd rather stay in Connecticut, though Rhode Island is close enough to CT and it has better beaches and lower taxes (while the sales tax in RI is a little higher, it's 7% instead of 6.35%). Maybe Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina might be nice states to live in, they're south of CT, so warmer, but probably not too hot. Further south than that and its probably too hot for my liking.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've been to both quite a few times. I much prefer California although I would stay north of Los Angeles and only right along the coast. There, I don't think water will be a problem because the elevation is right at sea level. Reaching the water table should be easy. Much of the California interior is natively arid. It was green only because of irrigation. With the drought, the interior will revert back to its natural state. The sea breeze keeps much of the California coast mild and cool. It's pleasant year round regardless if there is a drought or not.

Texas feels more tropical because it's much farther south, especially east of the Dry Line. Having a warmer climate also mean more bugs than I care to see. Too hot and too humid for me. The Texas coast has a Florida feel to it. That means thunderstorms can be a problem before sun up and during the afternoon because of the land/sea breeze effects.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Out of those 2 i would probably choose Texas.

There is just something about that culture that seems a lot more friendly than the hippie Liberal hollywood "plastic" fakeness there is in California.

But out of anywhere in the US i would have a very hard time picking anything over New York or Chicago.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@raugutcon said:

California is extremely expensive, my wife and her family are from there ( Grover Beach ), for example, pretty much the same house that in Texas costs you $150,000 in California costs $350,000;

What were the specs on the house? Because the average house price here in Manitoba is about $300,000 (CAD mind you) while the average in Vancouver, British Columbia is over $1,000,000.

If I could get a reasonable house in California that's similar to one here, I'd very much consider moving.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Canada

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Texas, your money goes a lot further.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

in California now, they lead the nation in illiteracy if that's what interests you, there's no bookstores anywhere and only place to buy books is Walmart and Target which is depressing as all hell, there's fracking and oil fields everywhere, there's lots of Latinos which I personally don't mind but some people it's enough to make them go like THIS, everything in California is expensive from rent, education, food, taxes, and none of the glamour that should go with it, and despite being one of the most ethnically diverse places has some of the worth ethnic food variety out of any place I'd ever visited, shit the Pacific Northwest has better Mexican food than the shit down here and we share a border with Mexico, in fact all of California is a cullinary wasteland, they don't allow fireworks and they've certain restrictions on guns (if you like guns), gas is more expensive because they don't allow for ethanol which just makes gas more expensive (ironically they claim it's for health/environment reasons but gas without ethanol increases localized pollution from cars), roads are shit and not up-kept and the population keeps growing, expect being stuck in traffic and your 30 minute commutes take two hours consistently, on the horizon of their otherwise fantastic beaches are oil/gas rigs that are allowed to dump seemingly limitless amounts of toxic waste water right at the beaches loaded with people with utter immunity, California reminds me of the Lorax universe, everything seems rubber-stamped / cookie-cuttered into place, giant apartment complex here, rows of palm trees, the same lazy landscaping treatments on every blocks for miles, bland neighborhoods with restrictive homeowner association rules where everything looks the same, it's sunny all the time so everything smells like piss because rain doesn't wash it away

Texas is probably the same in many respects but I bet your money will go farther

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Neither, if it's between the two, then Texas. Commiefornia is over taxed and the state government is corrupted as shit.

Plus the only American F1 track is in Austin. Also Texas women are hot (figuratively and literally).

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

If those are the only choices then Canada. There are a lot of better places to live in the US then either so it's a shame that apart from New York city the only parts the rest of the world know about the US is California and Texas and on the outside chance Hawaii, although I think the rest of the world forgets Hawaii is part of the US.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raugutcon

@bmanva said:

Neither, if it's between the two, then Texas. Commiefornia is over taxed and the state government is corrupted as shit.

Plus the only American F1 track is in Austin. Also Texas women are hot (figuratively and literally).

My wife is a California girl but Texan women are ......

Sample, btw, she likes muscle cars, guns, hunts and fish.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@raugutcon said:
@bmanva said:

My wife is a California girl but Texan women are ......

Sample, btw, she likes muscle cars, guns, hunts and fish.

Also Amber Heard is bi so 2 girls action isn't out of question. But I'm partial to brunettes, so give me Eva Longoria or Sarah Shahi.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I wouldn't mind living in Northern California.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@lamprey263 said:

in California now, they lead the nation in illiteracy if that's what interests you, there's no bookstores anywhere and only place to buy books is Walmart and Target which is depressing as all hell, there's fracking and oil fields everywhere, there's lots of Latinos which I personally don't mind but some people it's enough to make them go like THIS, everything in California is expensive from rent, education, food, taxes, and none of the glamour that should go with it, and despite being one of the most ethnically diverse places has some of the worth ethnic food variety out of any place I'd ever visited, shit the Pacific Northwest has better Mexican food than the shit down here and we share a border with Mexico, in fact all of California is a cullinary wasteland, they don't allow fireworks and they've certain restrictions on guns (if you like guns), gas is more expensive because they don't allow for ethanol which just makes gas more expensive (ironically they claim it's for health/environment reasons but gas without ethanol increases localized pollution from cars), roads are shit and not up-kept and the population keeps growing, expect being stuck in traffic and your 30 minute commutes take two hours consistently, on the horizon of their otherwise fantastic beaches are oil/gas rigs that are allowed to dump seemingly limitless amounts of toxic waste water right at the beaches loaded with people with utter immunity, California reminds me of the Lorax universe, everything seems rubber-stamped / cookie-cuttered into place, giant apartment complex here, rows of palm trees, the same lazy landscaping treatments on every blocks for miles, bland neighborhoods with restrictive homeowner association rules where everything looks the same, it's sunny all the time so everything smells like piss because rain doesn't wash it away

Sounds more like Los Angeles Metro to me rather than the rest of California. I spent a combined five years living at both the Central Coast and NorCal. Both locations weren't shitty at all. LA? Now, that's shitty.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#31  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

California sucks.

Housing market is awful, high cost of living, annoying drought, entitlement issues everywhere, traffic is horrendous, smog, etc.

@Aljosa23 said:

Could always come visit me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Could always come visit.

If you give me a place to crash, sure <3

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Aljosa23 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Could always come visit.

I have a guest room... so long as you can handle the American anthem playing alarm clock with the American flag over the bed and the bald eagle statue on the nightstand.

I'm kidding.

Or am I?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Could always come visit.

I have a guest room... so long as you can handle the American anthem playing alarm clock with the American flag over the bed and the bald eagle statue on the nightstand.

I'm kidding.

Or am I?

All of that is perfectly fine tbh lol. Rather patriotism than a bunch of guns every where.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Aljosa23 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Could always come visit.

I'm kidding.

Or am I?

All of that is perfectly fine tbh lol. Rather patriotism than a bunch of guns every where.

Ah, well, all that is in my safe because... responsible gun owner and all. ;D

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Texas by a country mile

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jun_aka_pekto

Someone mentioned California as not having good ethnic foods. Ridiculous. One time, my wife and I ate at a Max Restaurant which specialized in Philippine cuisine. The food was great with good variety. Crowded too. Also ate at the Las Vegas branch. Same thing.

http://www.maxschicken.com/CMSLandingPage/menus/LasVegas_menu_022514.pdf

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Texas is too hot for me, and I've never been to California. Northern California looks nice though. I'd much rather see Nocal over Socal.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto

@lensflare15 said:

Texas is too hot for me, and I've never been to California. Northern California looks nice though. I'd much rather see Nocal over Socal.

Me too. Anywhere in the Shasta (and northward) and Lake Tahoe area would be fine for me. The Central Coast is okay too. But, it is getting crowded there.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@magicalclick said:

South CA (not CA) if you want sunny weather, cheap REAL authentic Asian food that real Asian eats, Disneyland, and wild animal park is not too far from LA.

If you are Asian, stay in LA because at least you will look rich with tons of Benz driven Chinese with million dollar house. At least you wouldn't feel like you are part of some blue collar workforce.

The problem is, it is getting crowded and getting more expensive. Not as ridiculous as NY or San Francisco, but, still annoying.

Also the housing was rather insane competitive. Too many cash buyer out bid pre-approved mortgage. I heard it is not as crazy now, which is a good thing.

Texas, no income tax come to mind.

That's one of the dumbest reasons I've heard for living in a certain area