This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

To me this outrage is quite absurd.. This isn't the first cultural practice that has been banned before in France, or for the West for that matter. And there is a actual legitimate concern with the veil.

sSubZerOo

I'm not certain what outrage has to do with my post, but I digress. The reasons cited for the law was described by French Lawmakers as 'cultural preservation', and not public safety. The latter seems to be a bit of a red herring formulated by apologists.

Well I agree than, thats absurd that it was done for that reason.. But from what I heard it was for security reasons above anythign else.. But I may be wrong.

"Mr. Sarkozy himself has said, "The burqa is not welcome in France because it is contrary to our values and contrary to the ideals we have of a woman's dignity."

Government officials say the bill is an effort to discourage fundamentalist Islam from taking root in France.

After the vote, Justice Minister Michèle Alliot-Marie said it was a victory for democracy and for French values, which she described this way: "Values of freedom against all the oppressions that try to humiliate individuals; values of equality between men and women, against those who push for inequality and injustice."

Opinion polls show that French voters overwhelmingly support the ban on facial veils. A Pew Research Center poll done in April and May found that more than 80 percent of French voters supported a ban, as well as more than 70 percent of German voters and 62 percent of British voters."

Link

Sounds like populist pandering to me.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#52 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I believe anything that covers a persons face in public should be banned...

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
****....now what am I gonna wear?...*unpacks his burka collection*...
Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts
They look like ninjas.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="charlesdarwin55"]

I think it's bad cause banning stuff that's what communists do

toast_burner

I lol'd.

Despite what you may hear, Ignorance is NOT bliss.

cause communsim is clearly based on freedom....
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="BlindBluMonstah"] And where they causing trouble by speaking arabic and wearing burkas ?Sagem28

you know, I didn't want to respond to that horrid post but since you did I will too. I hate the Burka and would never let my wife or daughters wear it, but what in the world are you talking?

Call it horrid if you will, but it makes me feel like a stranger in my own country.

Europe spent centuries imposing its cultures on others. Now that others are bringing their cultures over Europeans want to cry foul. I find the irony here delicious.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the veil ban. Certainly they should be required to be removed while taking photographs for photo ID's (driver licenses, etc). I also think they should not be allowed to be worn in other specific areas (banks come to mind) for basic public safety. Just strolling down the street, that I'm not to sure about.

On the general topic of Islam and current events, stories like THIS concern me MUCH MORE than someone's right, or lack there of, to weark a ninja mask in public.

mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mywalletsgone
Member since 2010 • 1344 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] you know, I didn't want to respond to that horrid post but since you did I will too. I hate the Burka and would never let my wife or daughters wear it, but what in the world are you talking?worlock77

Call it horrid if you will, but it makes me feel like a stranger in my own country.

Europe spent centuries imposing its cultures on others. Now that others are bringing their cultures over Europeans want to cry foul. I find the irony here delicious.

Europe done wonders for the world tho

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#59 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

According to everyone banning it, it is a symbol of oppression of women.
I don't know whether that is true.
They don't know a better way to fight the oppression of women among that subculture. They can't rely on the women reporting and they can't just spy on everyone... though we're getting there.

I'm very divided. I believe it is wrong to ban almost anything. It is wrong to ban clothing. But if it really helps...
I don't know.

TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts
Good, this ban needs to be brought to other countries in the EU as well I think.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
It should be banned in only certain instances....where public security is concerned...(Big events, specific monuments and such)...and any kind of photo ID...pol;ice should also be able to request/demeand that it is removed for ID reasons...but it serves no purpose to ban in accross the board....
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the veil ban. Certainly they should be required to be removed while taking photographs for photo ID's (driver licenses, etc). I also think they should not be allowed to be worn in other specific areas (banks come to mind) for basic public safety. Just strolling down the street, that I'm not to sure about.

On the general topic of Islam and current events, stories like THIS concern me MUCH MORE than someone's right, or lack there of, to weark a ninja mask in public.

YellowOneKinobi

Daily mail...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#63 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] you know, I didn't want to respond to that horrid post but since you did I will too. I hate the Burka and would never let my wife or daughters wear it, but what in the world are you talking?worlock77

It's worse than that. America/Europe have supported dictators there for decades, and practically created radical islam, and the brainwashing of the people there, that they are now so afraid of. I don't think there are any good sides in this little culture clash. We just need to make the best of what's to come.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

I'm not certain what outrage has to do with my post, but I digress. The reasons cited for the law was described by French Lawmakers as 'cultural preservation', and not public safety. The latter seems to be a bit of a red herring formulated by apologists.

coolbeans90

Well I agree than, thats absurd that it was done for that reason.. But from what I heard it was for security reasons above anythign else.. But I may be wrong.

"Mr. Sarkozy himself has said, "The burqa is not welcome in France because it is contrary to our values and contrary to the ideals we have of a woman's dignity."

Government officials say the bill is an effort to discourage fundamentalist Islam from taking root in France.

After the vote, Justice Minister Michèle Alliot-Marie said it was a victory for democracy and for French values, which she described this way: "Values of freedom against all the oppressions that try to humiliate individuals; values of equality between men and women, against those who push for inequality and injustice."

Opinion polls show that French voters overwhelmingly support the ban on facial veils. A Pew Research Center poll done in April and May found that more than 80 percent of French voters supported a ban, as well as more than 70 percent of German voters and 62 percent of British voters."

Link

Sounds like populist pandering to me.

This is pretty much it.

"Passions have been so high that when domestic intelligence issued a report saying that only 367 women in France wore a full veil, it seemed to make no difference."

This is a political ploy to pick up votes.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

Former_Slacker

Daily mail...

I'm at the office, so unfortunately I can't watch that right now, but I'm guessing you're saying that the Daily Mail isn't reliable. May be the case (I find them to really sensationalize things). But it's not like the story I cited is in any way an isolated incident.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I am happy that they did, I am not a fan of them really.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

YellowOneKinobi

Daily mail...

I'm at the office, so unfortunately I can't watch that right now, but I'm guessing you're saying that the Daily Mail isn't reliable. May be the case (I find them to really sensationalize things). But it's not like the story I cited is in any way an isolated incident.

How is a woman being whipped in Indonesia, although it is horrible, in anyway relevant to our discussion? The mail is just fear mongering again.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
I think banning them is discrimination, unless they also ban all things that cover somebody's face. Is wearing a chicken suit that hides your identity in public any less dangerous? That being said, places like banks or airports should be allowed to require people to remove it or anything covering somebody's face.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

As long as there is a valid reason for banning it, then I am all for it. I don't believe that just because something has religious significance to some that it should be above the law.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

Daily mail...

Former_Slacker

How is a woman being whipped in Indonesia, although it is horrible, in anyway relevant to our discussion? The mail is just fear mongering again.

As I said in my first post on this thread, my feelings are split on the ban, but on the GENERAL TOPIC of Islam and current events.......... this ban is small potatoes to me. For myself, I find it a little difficult to feel too mucy sympathy/empathy for a group of people that handle themselves that way (yes, I'm using an incredibly broad brush). But before I hear someone screaming about having their veil taken away, I would like to hear them screaming about stoning people to death (including rape VICTIMS) first.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a multicultural society...but this "Islamisation" of Europe is seriously getting out of hand. I went shopping in one of the biggest malls in Brussels two days ago and I saw +- 100 Burkas and I heard more Arabic than anything else.

BlindBluMonstah
And where they causing trouble by speaking arabic and wearing burkas ?

He told you where. In Brussels.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] I'm at the office, so unfortunately I can't watch that right now, but I'm guessing you're saying that the Daily Mail isn't reliable. May be the case (I find them to really sensationalize things). But it's not like the story I cited is in any way an isolated incident.

YellowOneKinobi

As I said in my first post on this thread, my feelings are split on the ban, but on the GENERAL TOPIC of Islam and current events.......... this ban is small potatoes to me. For myself, I find it a little difficult to feel too mucy sympathy/empathy for a group of people that handle themselves that way (yes, I'm using an incredibly broad brush). But before I hear someone screaming about having their veil taken away, I would like to hear them screaming about stoning people to death (including rape VICTIMS) first.

So you're saying that the two groups are composed of the same people?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
Member since 2010 • 629 Posts
i would wear one to rob a bank ten times better then a ski mask,it breathes more and just think for all the gun u could hide under there. keep the burka we criminals love em
Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts

[QUOTE="BlindBluMonstah"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a multicultural society...but this "Islamisation" of Europe is seriously getting out of hand. I went shopping in one of the biggest malls in Brussels two days ago and I saw +- 100 Burkas and I heard more Arabic than anything else.

-Unreal-

And where they causing trouble by speaking arabic and wearing burkas ?

He told you where. In Brussels.

He meant were not where.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

Former_Slacker

So you're saying that the two groups are composed of the same people?

I'm saying that for me, just me, I find it hard to be sympathetic to people who declare their rights are being violated, then turn the other way when people are being tortured (often to death) in the name of their religion. If anything, the 'moderate' mulsims I would think would be the MOST outspoken about how some people are treated, under the guise of being muslim.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I think there's a certain common courtesy and moral value to this discussion too. You don't wear a balaclava into a bank, do you?

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 With-Hatred
Member since 2009 • 926 Posts

Communism is an ecomnic system, not a social law system.

No, I wouldn't want them banned, that would go against freedom of speech/religion.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

I think they should ban it here in the UK too. If you don't like the rules then don't live there.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
Either they are 1. Discriminating against a certain culture or religion or 2. Attempting to protects womens right by, uh, not allowing them to wear what they want. Good going France! :roll:
angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
Well, this has sparked outrage from Amnesty International USA today.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

In Western culture we like to see the faces of other people we are interacting with, and covering your entire face could be considered anti-social. A minority should fit in with the country it's living in, not the other way around. The Burka is not essential to the Muslim faith and there are other head-dresses that serve the same religious purposes while still allowing the face to be visible.

So yes, I support the ban.

DeepSigh
and this is one of the reasons why people hate the western world.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="DeepSigh"]

In Western culture we like to see the faces of other people we are interacting with, and covering your entire face could be considered anti-social. A minority should fit in with the country it's living in, not the other way around. The Burka is not essential to the Muslim faith and there are other head-dresses that serve the same religious purposes while still allowing the face to be visible.

Fuhgeddabouditt

I don't see why, he didn't say anything ridiculous or extravagant. If we go to the middle east we abide by their rules and culture, why is it so much to ask the same of them?

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
I wouldn't support it in the US but I respect France's sovereignty, I'm uncomfortable with their mindset on the issue though.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="DeepSigh"]

Fuhgeddabouditt

So you're okay with the eastern world hating (even though they don't so I don't know where you're pulling that out of) western culture but not the west having a problem with a middle eastern issue?

DeepSigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DeepSigh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="DeepSigh"]

Fuhgeddabouditt

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
5 million ninjas less to care about.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

Not for a second would any Muslim country that allows strict Sharia Laws, tollerate any non-muslim religious customs. Yet they are all up in arms when France does the same thing.

TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="DeepSigh"]

Espada12

I don't see why, he didn't say anything ridiculous or extravagant. If we go to the middle east we abide by their rules and culture, why is it so much to ask the same of them?

Exactly, great point
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
im not okay with anything just pointing out one of the reason why people over there continue to hate.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
Member since 2010 • 629 Posts
if you say burka 3 times fast it sounds like a dog barking
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Pirate700

im not okay with anything just pointing out one of the reason why people over there continue to hate. Fuhgeddabouditt
What's your point? In the middle east (or most of the east for that matter) it is their culture or the highway and that's seen as great because that's how their culture is. In the west, if we don't kiss everyone's ass we are being haters, racists, anti-whatever-religion, communists, etc.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

Not for a second would any Muslim country that allows strict Sharia Laws, tollerate any non-muslim religious customs. Yet they are all up in arms when France does the same thing.

Darthmatt
Yeah we should be as intolerant as Saudi Arabia! Great plan.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#93 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It's their country, they can do what they want. After all, I hear that because they didn't have a civil-rights movement, racial prejudice still happens publicly. If that's the case, then it's not surprising.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
While I support the freedom to wear whatever you want I do find that article of clothing to be offensive. Women shouldn't have to cover themselves up like that... it's not just a Muslim issue, it's a Christian issue as well. Womens' bodies are generally considered more problematic then mens' bodies.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

of course i wanna see what im getting into cause you know they could have pretty eyes and stuff but when i take off those curtain i have a tragedy

:P

OmegaAxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96 OmegaAxl
Member since 2005 • 36971 Posts
Why don't you just ban Bra's? You have no idea what they're hiding down there. Seriously, Your free to wear whatever you want. I expect this ban to get reversed within two weeks.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Pirate700

Why don't you just ban Bra's? You have no idea what they're hiding down there. Seriously, Your free to wear whatever you want. I expect this ban to get reversed within two weeks.OmegaAxl
You're honestly trying to compare a bra to covering one's entire face? That's a horrible comparison.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 YellowOneKinobi
Why don't you just ban Bra's? You have no idea what they're hiding down there. Seriously, Your free to wear whatever you want. I expect this ban to get reversed within two weeks.OmegaAxl
I'll take that bet. It's not too hard to turn this into a public safety issue.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

If I can't wear a balaclava whilst browsing a shop then neither should people wearing burka's.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I think it's kind of wrong I think.. For instance, I like wearing jackets to or long sleeves to protect my skin. No different then wearing a mask. Will they suddenly ban long sleeves next?