Brony Fighting for His Life After Suicide Attempt

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Eleven-year-old Michael Morones is a passionate boy. He idolizes his Uncle Jimmy, who is a proud member of the Bronies. The term Brony is a portmanteau that refers to fanboys of My Little Pony (“bro ponies”), although girls can be Bronies too.

Michael’s favorite character is Pinkie Pie, a hyper excitable pony. The little boy, who has ADHD and rarely sits still for a minute, feels a connection to bouncy Pinkie Pie. His Uncle Jimmy taught him to be proud of his interests, and the boy has frequently worn Brony dogtags and Brony bracelets to school.

A group of his peers at school have been taunting and bullying the boy about his fandom. His stepfather, Shannon Suttle, said, “Michael was upset because the kids were calling him gay for liking a girls’ TV show. His mom and I, well, we told him that it didn’t matter what other people think. It only matters what he thinks.”

On Thursday, January 23, Michael had another rough day at school. That night, he attempted suicide by hanging himself.

Michael is in the pediatric intensive care unit in a North Carolina hospital. He has damage to his brain, his heart, and his lungs and has not yet fully awakened.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Cfu6hil.png[/IMG]

Source.

Bulls...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I think our children need to learn about the contradictions of life at a younger age. Sure we should be individuals that can be passionate about whatever we want, at a certain level that needs to be kept on the DL. It isn't just a social skill it has valuable applications in life. It's not fair, but it's the way it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

That is incredibly depressing. Poor kid.

People who are obsessed at complaining about Bronies are worse than the fanboys of that show. Just let people like what they like without being a **** about it.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

With aljosa on this

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

@thegerg said:

" It only matters what he thinks."

Teaching him that bullshit might be part of the problem. Kids need to learn that they're not special or important, they're just another person.

Or people could just not tease and bully people based on what they like?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Why isn't a child like him supervised 24.7?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@TwistedShade said:

@thegerg said:

" It only matters what he thinks."

Teaching him that bullshit might be part of the problem. Kids need to learn that they're not special or important, they're just another person.

Or people could just not tease and bully people based on what they like?

I think he means more to life in general.

For example,

You can have a pro-marijuana sticker on your car, but you're looking for police attention/bullying.

That's just how life works.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Last name Morones lol, I laughed. Kid, don't let bullies deter you from your ponies.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Not sure why this is important TBH.....is it because he happens to be a brony? Unfortunately kids get picked on every day.....children are vicious....why single this one out?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

He's 12 years old and so are his peers. Kids pick on each other for anything and everything. The fact that he's a pony fanboy is irrelevant to this story.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321

Kid suicide or suicide attempts for bullying have always interested OT for one reason or another. Usually OT isn't capable of discussing it in a stable way though.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@loco145 said:

“Michael was upset because the kids were calling him gay for liking a girls’ TV show. His mom and I, well, we told him that it didn’t matter what other people think. It only matters what he thinks.”

Here's the source of his problems. Bad parenting.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

i blame MLP hype for brainwashing kids , may the poor kid recover and never watch MLP shows ever again in his life.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Jesus ...

Poor kid. I hope he pulls through.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: A child committing suicide because he was being picked on for liking a tv show isnt important? Were you born without or a heart or did you drown it in insensitivity?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Capitan_Kid said:

@LJS9502_basic: A child committing suicide because he was being picked on for liking a tv show isnt important? Were you born without or a heart or did you drown it in insensitivity?

Way to miss the point.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Capitan_Kid said:

Way to miss the point.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not sure why this is important TBH.....is it because he happens to be a brony? Unfortunately kids get picked on every day.....children are vicious....why single this one out?

Because an 11 year old child attempted to commit suicide due to bullying over a TV show. Not difficult to understand why this is being reported.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Because an 11 year old child attempted to commit suicide due to bullying over a TV show. Not difficult to understand why this is being reported.

Oh so being bullied because of a TV show is so much important than the bullying going on elsewhere over say physical appearance....smh.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sammyjenkis898

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh so being bullied because of a TV show is so much important than the bullying going on elsewhere over say physical appearance....smh.

Nah, a child of adolescence attempting to commit suicide over an issue such as this is worth reporting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic  Online

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Nah, a child of adolescence attempting to commit suicide over an issue such as this is worth reporting.

And again...this is not the first time that happened. Why should this ONE case get the publicity while others are forgotten? As for the reason.....it's actually silly.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Way to be igno,rant. Suicides are reported all the time this being one. Why are you trying to downplay this? Thats sickening behavior.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

Bronies should be kept as Internet only. This is a heavy subject and is attacked.Hell,if i saw a brony on the street i'd probably make a remark.

I percieve Bronies as attension whores,since they spew their bullshit memes,gifs at everyone ignoring the users statement. I really hope this fad dies out soon.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sammyjenkis898

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

And again...this is not the first time that happened. Why should this ONE case get the publicity while others are forgotten? As for the reason.....it's actually silly.

Yeah, I'm not saying this is the first time that this has happened - although I would like for you to show me another case where the specifics are the same.

We've been through this. Shootings happen all the time, but, what do you know, they're constantly picked up by the news! This is hardly something to question.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Props to him for being proud of what he likes, but going to school with MLP merchandise is just begging to be bullied.

You shouldn't open yourself to criticism if you aren't prepared to deal with it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic  Online
@sammyjenkis898 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying this is the first time that this has happened - although I would like for you to show me another case where the specifics are the same.

We've been through this. Shootings happen all the time, but, what do you know, they're constantly picked up by the news! This is hardly something to question.

News? I'm talking about OT. Though really I don't think suicides in general are news anyway. And I don't see why this one case is so special. Anyway if the reason is a TV show...this kid has a lot more problems than the bullying. As we go through life we will all find our tastes aren't always accepted by the people we encounter.

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts

MLP is amazing... it managed to turn a fruit into a vegetable

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is getting attention because people care. And if you're getting upset about people caring about an 11 year old attempting suicide, then you're sort of being the jerk. So just stop it, dude.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sammyjenkis898

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sammyjenkis898 said:

News? I'm talking about OT. Though really I don't think suicides in general are news anyway. And I don't see why this one case is so special. Anyway if the reason is a TV show...this kid has a lot more problems than the bullying. As we go through life we will all find our tastes aren't always accepted by the people we encounter.

You're talking about OT? Then who gives a shit? People clearly care, so that should negate whatever drivel you have to say.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic  Online

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is getting attention because people care. And if you're getting upset about people caring about an 11 year old attempting suicide, then you're sort of being the jerk. So just stop it, dude.

Settle yourself.....I'm not upset. And since I'm not talking to anyone connected with the child that I know of....I'm not being a jerk. But I'm not going to pat myself on the back because I make some sympathetic comment on a message board to convince others I care. None of you really do. It's pretension. At least I'm honest.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic  Online

And frankly Geezer et al....it's a shame anyone commits suicide. But one case really isn't news worthy. Now if we can find some reason that is far reaching....ie perhaps how one town treats x people and suicide is common....I can see the news worthiness of it. But one troubled individual? No...not really news.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic  Online

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sammyjenkis898 said:

You're talking about OT? Then who gives a shit? People clearly care, so that should negate whatever drivel you have to say.

I doubt it makes much difference in the lives of anyone here. Sure we can see a tragedy and say too bad....but it doesn't really affect us personally. And if you say it does....you're being dishonest.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Settle yourself.....I'm not upset. And since I'm not talking to anyone connected with the child that I know of....I'm not being a jerk. But I'm not going to pat myself on the back because I make some sympathetic comment on a message board to convince others I care. None of you really do. It's pretension. At least I'm honest.

If you admit that you don't care about this kid OR the other kids who go unnoticed, then why the f*** are you even commenting?

And stop pretending like you f***ing know the people here. People here may be genuinely concerned about bullying and suicide, they may be sensitive to the issue because it has personally affected them or those they love, and it actually may hit them emotionally to learn about a kid (albeit a stranger) attempting suicide because of bullying. You don't know what the f*** people really feel when they see stories like this, and it makes you an asshole to butt into the thread (despite not caring one way or another) just to accuse the other people of putting up on a show.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sammyjenkis898
@MrGeezer said:

If you admit that you don't care about this kid OR the other kids who go unnoticed, then why the f*** are you even commenting?

And stop pretending like you f***ing know the people here. People here may be genuinely concerned about bullying and suicide, they may be sensitive to the issue because it has personally affected them or those they love, and it actually may hit them emotionally to learn about a kid (albeit a stranger) attempting suicide because of bullying. You don't know what the f*** people really feel when they see stories like this, and it makes you an asshole to butt into the thread (despite not caring one way or another) just to accuse the other people of putting up on a show.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic  Online

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:

First it would be helpful if you actually understood what I said. After reading your post it's clear you did not. I didn't mention any personal feelings about this child or any other child. What I said was why is this one case more important than others? How many kids do you think suicided and/or attempted suicide in the last month? Week? Day? Because I'm sure it's not just this one.

That was my comment. Period. So why the **** are you commenting on something you obviously didn't read?

You don't know either....so come down off your high horse. Even if someone is familiar with this....this case still does not personally affect them. It might give them feelings about the person they knew....but not really about this kid. He's a name in the news. And while as I stated above....and you ignored....it's always a shame...but that doesn't make it news and it doesn't mean everyone has to pretend to care.

I didn't accuse anyone individual of putting on a show...but it's a psychological fact that humans cannot feel deeply for every tragedy in the world......they would go mad if they did. We feel for what we hold close. We can tell our friend they have our sympathy for something in their life...but our feelings are not commensurate with theirs. They would feel a personal tragedy much more deeply than an outsider and definitely more than a stranger.

But go on patting yourself on the back because you made some silly comment.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrGeezer
@LJS9502_basic said:

And frankly Geezer et al....it's a shame anyone commits suicide. But one case really isn't news worthy. Now if we can find some reason that is far reaching....ie perhaps how one town treats x people and suicide is common....I can see the news worthiness of it. But one troubled individual? No...not really news.

Dude, that was a f***ing blog by a writer who focuses heavily on bullying issues (she wrote a book about it recently). Go tell HER that this case wasn't important enough for her to blog about it or pay attention to it. You might not personally give a shit, but it's not her f***ing job to only write blogs that you care about. And again, if you disagree, then go tell that to her instead of the people here. We didn't f***ing write that, so stop telling us that it wasn't worth being written.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

At least it was a failed attempt.

How to tie up a Pony

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Dude, that was a f***ing blog by a writer who focuses heavily on bullying issues (she wrote a book about it recently). Go tell HER that this case wasn't important enough for her to blog about it or pay attention to it. You might not personally give a shit, but it's not her f***ing job to only write blogs that you care about. And again, if you disagree, then go tell that to her instead of the people here. We didn't f***ing write that, so stop telling us that it wasn't worth being written.

Oh for fucks sake...it was posted here.....which is where I am.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And you seem to be the only one throwing a f***ing tantrum about it not being worthy of discussion. Given the attention it has received, it apparently WAS worth posting. So just shut the hell up and get out if it doesn't interest you. It's not the TC's job to only start threads that you care about, so have a little class and stop trying to actively shit on people when they're expressing their sympathy. That kind of negativity is seriously disgusting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic  Online

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And you seem to be the only one throwing a f***ing tantrum about it not being worthy of discussion. Given the attention it has received, it apparently WAS worth posting. So just shut the hell up and get out if it doesn't interest you. It's not the TC's job to only start threads that you care about, so have a little class and stop trying to actively shit on people when they're expressing their sympathy. That kind of negativity is seriously disgusting.

Pure bull shit. And if you're going to use profanity...use the damn word. If you are afraid to say ****...then don't obscure it.

I made my comment that one case is not more special than others. It's you and two others throwing the tantrum over that. Stop being a fucking hypocrite.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

How about you only post in topics that interest you? Just a thought.

Seems to work wonders for everybody else instead of throwing a bitch fit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Shottayouth13- said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

How about you only post in topics that interest you? Just a thought.

Seems to work wonders for everybody else instead of throwing a bitch fit.

I made one comment that this case is no more special than others and the morons are hung up on that. Has nothing to do by the way with interest or not. And if you don't like it...don't read threads.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dave123321

Geezer speaks the wisdom

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@dave123321 said:

Never did...never will. He doesn't even understand what he's arguing.