Bored in paradise ..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

So OT, if you were given a paradise, and maybe you already live in paradise, would you eventually get bored of it, and hit escape routes that might forever lead you back to a unfortunate world ?

What kind of a question is this ? A straight wonder one, just curious. I mean some of us have that white picket fence, and even if you don't a life where your safe, and maybe going to school, and coming home to a family is, or isn't good enough. Paradise could be vary to every individual.

How often do you drift from your so called paradise ? Or if you ain't in paradise, and get it, will you still be a drifter ?

Someone told me once that you can't have both roads, you know which one is the right one, but will you make the choice to stick with it.

Maybe your just an adventurer, and like unknown roads.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

If it's paradise can you really be bored?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

To me paradise would be oblivion...no more problems. I'll live and enjoy this life and then hopefully I won't have to be concerned with anything ever again :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I'm a simple man wanting paradise but given set circumstances I have to drift and drift I will, so hard.

Totentanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Totentanz
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

I literally do not understand the question

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

i think i would get bored w/ a stress free paradise. i kinda like having problems around me to solve. maybe my paradise needs to be a fixer-upper one.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LexLas

@comp_atkins said:

i think i would get bored w/ a stress free paradise. i kinda like having problems around me to solve. maybe my paradise needs to be a fixer-upper one.

Aha ! That is what i imagine myself, and am constantly thinking i would also be like. I don't think i can ever be in a perfect world, i'm to curious. I would have to eventually break something to actually have a problem to fix. Trippy ..

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've had my share of shitholes. That's why I'm happy in my boring (and quiet) paradise.

I honestly think I should send my kids abroad just for them to know what's it like to live without the basic necessities. Flies, insects, mud, washing up by a creek with turds floating by..... No electricity. No amenities.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LexLas

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I've had my share of shitholes. That's why I'm happy in my boring (and quiet) paradise.

I honestly think I should send my kids abroad just for them to know what's it like to live without the basic necessities. Flies, insects, mud, washing up by a creek with turds floating by..... No electricity. No amenities.

Lol .. Wow, i was just thinking no tv, and internet, but you went way out there, lol ..

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Yeah, I have my personal struggles and then I think about my lot in life as white male American of middle-class upbringing and I think "hmmm...not so bad". Still, everything is relative, and as Dave Chappelle said, there might be starving kids in Africa, but you still gotta eat, too.

I might not be happy, but I am grateful and I certainly don't complain.

@comp_atkins said:

Same. I need to always be learning. I think that's why I have stuck with my current job for so long; I've been there for five years now which is the longest I've been anywhere by two years, and it's because I am always challenged, always learning.

It's why I like video games; they are always changing, always coming out with new ways to play. New challenges.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I live on Maui....a place many would consider paradise, and I'm doing my best to be able to move away. Mostly because I was raised and've lived here the majority of my life here. It's not that I hate it here, I just hate not being THERE. There's a whole world to see and people to meet, and Maui is incredibly restrictive in so many ways. It's beautiful, it'll always be home to me and I know how lucky I am to have lived here for so long, but I want to get away. Whenever I jump the puddle back to the mainland it's like a breath of fresh air and incredibly liberating.

But paradise to me otherwise is a state of mind. At this point in my life it would be falling in love.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I live on Maui....a place many would consider paradise, and I'm doing my best to be able to move away. Mostly because I was raised and've lived here the majority of my life here. It's not that I hate it here, I just hate not being THERE. There's a whole world to see and people to meet, and Maui is incredibly restrictive in so many ways. It's beautiful, it'll always be home to me and I know how lucky I am to have lived here for so long, but I want to get away. Whenever I jump the puddle back to the mainland it's like a breath of fresh air and incredibly liberating.

But paradise to me otherwise is a state of mind. At this point in my life it would be falling in love.

There isn't any place that's better than one's home though. They all have problems.

Note; I'm not talking about leaving a third world country.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

There isn't any place that's better than one's home though. They all have problems.

Note; I'm not talking about leaving a third world country.

If by home you mean country of origin I disagree. I moved to a different country and couldn't be happier...pretty much everything here is better and not only do I not miss the country but I don't plan of ever moving back there. And I didn't move out of a 3rd world country either, it was still within Europe. True, I miss the easiness of speaking the country's language on a native level but that will come in time as well.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

If it's paradise can you really be bored?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Paradise to me is my life being exempt of all responsibility. That's death.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LexLas

@MirkoS77 said:

Wow, isn't that something. What a great example. I mean your actually in what most here in the cities consider paradise, and we try to earn that vacation every few years out there. I never thought being there 100% of the time would make you feel going back to the city is a breath of fresh air, but yes it is. We all just need change as often as possible. Strange as it sounds, i think we wouldn't last in paradise. I mean in reality Earth is paradise, but we want it all.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

I'll always be a City Guy. Living in Paradise isn't something I could enjoy throughout my life but going for a vacation however, that's another story.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@LexLas said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Wow, isn't that something. What a great example. I mean your actually in what most here in the cities consider paradise, and we try to earn that vacation every few years out there. I never thought being there 100% of the time would make you feel going back to the city is a breath of fresh air, but yes it is. We all just need change as often as possible. Strange as it sounds, i think we wouldn't last in paradise. I mean in reality Earth is paradise, but we want it all.

It just depends where you are I suppose. Paradise is largely where you aren't, it's more an ideal than anything.

Hawaii is just SO geographically restraining, and this defines the culture that has had to adapt itself around that reality. Not only economically, but a mentality as well. It permeates everything, and perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if I were in ignorance of what a broader scope entailed, but I am. I was born on the mainland, I visit it often, and've friends there. Just getting in a car and driving for hours and hours without running into the ocean is a freedom I treasure. Having the variety of food available on the mainland is wonderful. Being able to sell shit without having to sacrifice 75% of my profit margin on shipping is great, because not many reply locally on Craigslist when your exposure is so minimal. Meeting people who are TOTALLY different in culture is amazing, as Hawaii is a very proud place that promotes, values, and protects their heritage, but it's all very local. Nothing wrong with that, but it's imposing in a way.

I think Hawaii is prime for a few things: if you're in the tourism industry, are massively into ocean sports, or are retirees. Some of my friends never want to leave here, and I can understand that. I want to get the **** out ASAP, because I don't think this is a healthy environment for a young person who is largely ignorant of the world to exist in. Just for an overall scope of what's out there, it's handicapping, and insulates when one should be exposed to everything the world has to offer.