RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

My girlfriend and I have been getting a lot more into playing different board games, from Othello and Scrabble to me trying to get her into some of the DnD Adventure board games. What are your favorite games, whether tabletop RPG or Miniatures games or classics like Chess or Monopoly. I'm always looking for suggestions to try something new.

Recently BattleTech has caught my eye, if I can find people to play with.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79941 Posts

Monopoly's great, but sometimes set up can be a pain. I love playing Sorry.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Sorry is another one of our faves, tbh I never have had the patience or interest to sit through an entire game of monopoly. Life is a good one too for a chill night.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 4477 Posts

I'm a big fan of risk

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19736 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:

@JustPlainLucas: Sorry is another one of our faves, tbh I never have had the patience or interest to sit through an entire game of monopoly. Life is a good one too for a chill night.

Monopoly is the worst. It's literally based on a game that was designed to not be fun because it was created as a criticism of capitalism.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-monopoly-is-not-a-fun-game-2017-9

But hey, if anyone actually enjoys it that's their opinion, but I'd say that's setting the bar pretty low in terms of what's a good board game. That can be a good thing, since there's nowhere to go but up.

As for some good ones, there are some pretty well known ones. Depending on what you enjoy, some of them are board games version of PvE video games where they are co-op rather than competitive.

Pandemic is a classic. Players work cooperatively to try to stop a global pandemic that gets worse every turn. There are a bunch of variations with different modules. There's even a "Legacy" version where you actually write on the board, and each time you play (up to 10 times before you need to replace it) the subsequent play is influenced by the previous time you played.

One of my favorites is a variation of Pandemic which is a Call of Cthulhu version where instead of dealing with diseases you are paranormal investigators trying to stop cultists from summoning old ones.

Tsuro is a competitive game where you build the board using tiles that guide your stones along paths. The goal is to slide your opponents off the edge of the board before you get put out.

Settlers of Catan is a classic but I haven't personally played it.

Ticket to Ride is supposed to be good, too.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41130 Posts

I rarely played any Board Games in my lifetime. I say, I only played just 3 board games that happened to be my favorite are:

• Dungeons & Dragons
  • Crossfire
  • Mouse Trap

Never could get into Monopoly and I don't like monopoly in real life situations for that matter.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5483 Posts

Dungeon! Dunno if it's the same as the Wizards of the Coast version.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79941 Posts

@davillain- said:

I rarely played any Board Games in my lifetime. I say, I only played just 3 board games that happened to be my favorite are:

• Dungeons & Dragons
  • Crossfire
  • Mouse Trap

Never could get into Monopoly and I don't like monopoly in real life situations for that matter.

Loading Video...

God I loved the 80s.

FluffyFoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FluffyFoa
Member since 2020 • 4 Posts

I really like word games or question games like Trivial Pursuit or such. Those kinds are probably my favourite type of board games. It's been a while since I played though.