Blaming millennials for everything

• 92 results
#51 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@Rockman999:

....and the generations after you will do them better than you. But the main reason millenials do them faster is because they now have grown up with the tools previous generations created to allow them the opportunity. Better is debatable, but I can't deny they have more info at an early age.

But again, boomers didn't raise millenials unless your parents are at least 64 years old.

The problem Generations Jones and Generation X had raising millenials is they played it too safe with their kids, it was understandable but at the same time millenials grew up being more sheltered from real life as the outside world SEEMED to be more dangerous as time went by, and their parents wanted kids safety first. You see, we grew up in the 70's and 80's where lots of bad stuff including cults, drugs, pedophilia, etc. were flooding the news constantly. Sure, that happens today but it wasn't spread on the news as much in the 50's and 60's. That was stuck in our minds when we became parents. So we bought them gaming systems and what we saw as safe items to keep them near home, always keeping an eye on their safety. Looking back, it probably wasn't the best style of parenting, but it seemed logical at the time. Millenials are lucky in some ways to have technology available to them at an early age, but I think it cost them alot of the basics of life and how to relate to people in the real world. Again, it is probably the parents fault for playing it too safe with their kids.

#52 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19660 posts) -

How can you blame a generation that has yet to take part of leading a new world?

#53 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1138 posts) -

@ezekiel43: I was born in 1978 and I don’t use email for anything. Text and slack only, even at work.

#54 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

You complain too much about boomers, those of us who grew up in the late 70's didn't have it easy too. You act as though millenials have had it rougher than everyone else, which is flatly untrue. Millenials often do seem to feel entitled, I think there's good reason they get that rap. I certainly don't think they all do. In fairness, you could blame their parents for why many millenials were sheltered from the outside world and spoiled with cel phones, internet access, and game systems by the time they reached their early teens. But most of these parents are NOT the true Boomers that you complain about.

The parents of Millenials are Generation X and my group, formerly the 2nd half of Baby Boomers but now generally acknowledged separately as Generation Jones. But neither us or Generation X had it that great either, even if the MTV 80's in general seemed to be a fun time to live through in the U.S.

So, in reviewing, I don't blame millenials for everything, in fact I'd place more blame on my generation and X for a lot when it comes to raising millenials. But you can also praise my group for including Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, both of whom were born the first year of Generation Jones and Rock and Roll (1955)!

Well, first off, shove it boomer. You complain about me complaining about everything, and then you go around complaining about millennials being entitled. "Waaaah, kids these days have cell phones, I never had a cell phone when I was a kid, waaaah!" You just proved my exact point about boomers. You go around telling other people not to complain and to start taking responsibility while simultaneously complaining non-stop and taking no responsibility. You're the exact type of person whose opinion I categorically disregard just because I don't have the time or energy to deal with your crap anymore. Either get a bit of self-awareness, or get used to people treating you like the cynical crank that you are.

And by the way, most people define millennials as being born in 1982 or later. That means that a good deal of them are the children of boomers and not gen x. Not that it matters, as that would just mean you're unfairly taking your frustration out on gen x rather than on millennials.

#55 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86:

First off Boomers are 64 or older, so not a boomer. Kids who were born in 1982 were usually born to our generation , Generation Jones (1955-1964), which is the generation between boomers and Gen X. Very different from Boomers, and they are not classified with them anymore because it is recognized that they represent a distinct cultural shift. The only reason we were ever classified with Boomers was because there were alot of us. More populous than GenX and Baby Boomers. And growing up in the mid to late 70's was a far cry from the 60's, much different experience. Jobs were very tight for us too, the 2 person income became popular with our generation, always having to "keep up with the Joneses" to get anywhere, hence the name. The Boomers and previous generations to them held the best jobs. Obama was our first president, he is 3 weeks older than me. I believe we are still the largest cohort in the U.S. at this time.

Second of all, I couldn't care less who has a smart phone and when they had it, but I am happy that we weren't spoiled with them before we learned about life. I have one too (don't most Americans? ), tablet as well. Smart phones are handy.

I usually don't bother with your vitriol, waste of time. But I felt the need to set the record straight, Not taking any extra blame out on GenX (I relate very well with them having been born in the 60's myself) but you know as well as I do that latter millenials were born to them, right?

#56 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

First off Boomers are 64 or older, so not a boomer. Kids who were born in 1982 were usually born to our generation , Generation Jones (1955-1964), which is the generation between boomers and Gen X. Very different from Boomers, and they are not classified with them anymore because it is recognized that they represent a distinct cultural shift. The only reason we were ever classified with Boomers was because there were alot of us. More populous than GenX and Baby Boomers. And growing up in the mid to late 70's was a far cry from the 60's, much different experience. Jobs were very tight for us too, the 2 person income became popular with our generation, always having to "keep up with the Joneses" to get anywhere, hence the name. The Boomers and previous generations to them held the best jobs. Obama was our first president, he is 3 weeks older than me. I believe we are still the largest cohort in the U.S. at this time.

Second of all, I couldn't care less who has a smart phone and when they had it, but I am happy that we weren't spoiled with them before we learned about life. I have one too (don't most Americans? ), tablet as well. Smart phones are handy.

I usually don't bother with your vitriol, waste of time. But I felt the need to set the record straight, Not taking any extra blame out on GenX (I relate very well with them having been born in the 60's myself) but you know as well as I do that latter millenials were born to them, right?

First off, your distinction is a semantic one, and one that is not really recognized by demographers writ large. Demographers generally consider boomers to have been born between 1946 and 1964. Second, even by your definition, many millennials are still the children of boomers. Milliennials are usually defined as being born in 1982 or later, meaning that if their parents were 30 at the time they'd have been born in 1952, well within your definition of boomers.

Third, your wages were poor because of problems created by older boomers and the "greatest" generation. The ill-advised war in Vietnam, a spike in oil prices caused in no small part because of western support for Israel's colonial ambitions, and the slow dismantling of unions all contributed to the declining wages you experienced (and I should note, wages spiked in the U.S. during the mid-70's, so at least you got a few years of a strong economy with worker protections). But not only do refuse to hold older Americans accountable for the mistakes they made in handling the country, but you go around blaming millennials for having happened to be born at the same time smartphones were proliferating. To call this the logic of a simpleton would be insulting to simpletons. Oh, but it doesn't end there! No, minutes after saying you don't care about who has a smartphone, you immediately state that "we weren't spoiled with them." Seriously asking here, do you possess even one iota of self-awareness? You must not, because you keep doubling down on this bullshit claim that we were spoiled by them. Were you spoiled because you happened to be born in an era when TVs were invented, or because you happened to come of age when computers were becoming commonplace? Oh, that's right, I forgot, you got no interest in examining your own situation, only in insulting other people's. But it gets better! Despite, being the cynical, sanctimonious, hypocritical, and spiteful crank you are, going around doing nothing but insulting an entire generation just because they happen to be a convenient whipping boy for you, you accuse ME of being vitriolic. I'll repeat my earlier question, do you seriously have zero self-awareness?

So, like I said before, shove it, boomer. I don't care if you really aren't a boomer or not. You display the same brainless contempt for my generation that has sadly become all too common among boomers, so you're the same as them as far as I'm concerned. As for Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, you couldn't have picked two more perfect examples of just how trash your generation is. They are a couple of sociopathic jerks who got rich by bullying other people out of the market and screwing over workers, their own partners, and consumers in general. I'm not even going to go in to how dumbfounding it is that you go on and on about how much you think smart phones ruined millennials, but somehow worship the two biggest proliferators of smart phones. Not that it makes any sense for you to take any pride out of their accomplishments whatsoever. Did you help them become billionaires? No, you ain't done shit with your life so you feel the need to latch on to other people's success in order to feel good about yourself, and when that doesn't work you just go around insulting young people to make yourself feel better. Like I said, keep it up if you want, but don't be surprised when people treat you like a useless old crank.

#57 Posted by MrGeezer (59714 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

Worst generation ever. They’re responsible for peanuts being banned from schools because bad parenting made them allergic.

Enjoy the unemployment line with your gender studies degree!

Um...peanut allergies are caused by bad parenting? Can I get a source on this?

#58 Posted by LJS9502_basic (165435 posts) -

Every generation is going to blame the other generation....either before or after. Arguing about this is pointless.

#59 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86:

Way too much hate and anger in you brother, you need to relax and listen sometimes. You are so far off on so much of what you said it's actually amusing and perhaps a bit sad.

Bottom line is, Boomers may be to blame for alot of what has happened, but my generation and Gen X are the parents of millenials, not Boomers. I could rebuke your comments one after another, but you are too far gone to get through to it seems.

We raised Millenials a little too safe I believe, that was one of our parenting mistakes, that's because we were bombarded with pedophilia, cults, and a big spike in crime rates in the 70's. On the news every night. We just wanted our kids to be safe, so we overcompensated. On a positive note, Generation Jones was the first videogame generation (Pong, Space Invaders, Defender, Tetris, etc.) and the audience for the original Star Wars at the theatres. We passed these things on to millenials by buying them gaming systems and taking them to see Star Wars prequels (probably a negative actually). The youngest of us were the audience for the New Wave and original punk-rock (and post-punk) music of the late 70's that opened up new channels in Rock music. The trend towards dying our hair outrageous colors and piercings other than ears started with the younger Jones generation and became more common with GenX.

Basically, we picked up the pieces the Boomers left. There are so many millenials because there are so many of us in Generation Jones. We were 18-27 years old when the 1982 millenials were born and I believe we are still probably about 25% of the U.S. population.

I think this will be my last word on the subject, so feel free to enlighten this "simpleton" with your infinite wisdom.

#60 Posted by comp_atkins (35365 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

Every generation is going to blame the other generation....either before or after. Arguing about this is pointless.

someone gets it

#61 Edited by speedytimsi (715 posts) -

...and I can't buy Monopoly for Millennials. So sad.

#62 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

Way too much hate and anger in you brother, you need to relax and listen sometimes. You are so far off on so much of what you said it's actually amusing and perhaps a bit sad.

Bottom line is, Boomers may be to blame for alot of what has happened, but my generation and Gen X are the parents of millenials, not Boomers. I could rebuke your comments one after another, but you are too far gone to get through to it seems.

We raised Millenials a little too safe I believe, that was one of our parenting mistakes, that's because we were bombarded with pedophilia, cults, and a big spike in crime rates in the 70's. On the news every night. We just wanted our kids to be safe, so we overcompensated. On a positive note, Generation Jones was the first videogame generation (Pong, Space Invaders, Defender, Tetris, etc.) and the audience for the original Star Wars at the theatres. We passed these things on to millenials by buying them gaming systems and taking them to see Star Wars prequels (probably a negative actually). The youngest of us were the audience for the New Wave and original punk-rock (and post-punk) music of the late 70's that opened up new channels in Rock music. The trend towards dying our hair outrageous colors and piercings other than ears started with the younger Jones generation and became more common with GenX.

Basically, we picked up the pieces the Boomers left. There are so many millenials because there are so many of us in Generation Jones. We were 18-27 years old when the 1982 millenials were born and I believe we are still probably about 25% of the U.S. population.

I think this will be my last word on the subject, so feel free to enlighten this "simpleton" with your infinite wisdom.

You're a hypocritical old crank. You go around trashing millennials and calling them names for happening to be born when smartphones were invented, and then when they get understandably angry at you for doing so you accuse them of being hateful. That is classic bullying. You are, bar none, the shittiest human being I've ever had the displeasure of interacting with. Don't try to hide your bullshit behind a facade of geniality, you are just as ill-meaning as someone who's rude to your face, you just try to convince yourself that you're better because you call people "brother." You're not. Deal with your shit.

As I've already pointed out, even by your own subjective standards there are plenty of millennials who are the children of boomers. I'm a millennial and both of my parents are boomers by your own standards. So, just like most boomers, you're ignoring facts in order to peddle your own version of reality that just so happens to flatter your oversized ego. Quelle surprise!

You didn't do shit. Did you buy me a smartphone? Did you buy me a videogame console? Did you raise me? No? Then shut the **** up. Like I said, you try to live vicariously through other people because you ain't done shit with your useless life. Here's a thought: instead of going around making yourself feel better by criticizing everyone around you, you actually go out and do something helpful for other people? You think millennials got ruined by videogames and Star Wars? Then why don't you get up off your fat ass, get off the videogame forum, go out, and actually talk to some millennials. If you think you have so much "wisdom" about why the world is the way it is and how to change it, why don't you go out and actually try to change it? Or you could just sit around like the bitter, selfish old crank you are and continue to bitch and moan about how shit everyone else is. Your choice.

#63 Posted by dave123321 (35387 posts) -

They are the new global warming

#64 Edited by Lach0121 (11283 posts) -

@theone86 said:
@SoNin360 said:

Blaming stuff on the younger generation isn't anything new. "Millennials" will be shitting on whatever generation it is now, Z? before long if it's not already happening.

In any case, it's all annoying. Pointing fingers at other groups of people for pretty much all problems in society. Humans are really good at doing that.

It definitely feels a lot different for millennials. It seems like there's no end to the chorus of people blaming us for everything under the sun, and then blaming us for trying to fix the things they blamed us for in the first place. It also seems to be a lot more vitriolic. Yes, people always complained about the younger generation, but they never blamed them for destroying whole industries, the institution of marriage, human procreation, etc., etc. I know they said a lot of the same things about Gen X, that they were lazy and listless, but it never felt this intense. And what's kind of ironic is not only do we have boomers and "greatest" gens blaming us for everything under the sun, but plenty of Gen Xers buy into it as well. They faced the same kind of hardship, they were the first generation in a while to have lifetime earnings beneath that of their parents for example, but they still tend to have a negative view of millennials, possibly because we're starting to see better job prospects than they are.

Anyway, yes, I'm completely ****ing done with it. I'm sick to death of people calling us entitled and lazy when we work some of the longest hours of any generation for subpar pay, of people who made a nice life for themselves on union salaries torching unions on their way out and then acting like it's our fault when we earn less money than they did, of people not taking into account the effect that skyrocketing education and housing costs have on our lifetime earnings and ability to save, of people not recognizing that we have some of the lowest lifetime earnings of any generation because of a recession that we didn't create, and of people acting like all the ways in which we're behind our own parents is because of some generational character flaw and not in the slightest because we have to deal with all of these issues. I was actually reading a well-researched article the other day that was going through all of the things that impact millennials negatively-low wages, high tuition, student debt, high housing prices-which seemed to be sympathetic to millenials. Then right at the end, with no substantiation, it said that the way out of all of this was for us to save and I wanted to scream. Yeah, we're having a hard time affording the basic necessities like rent, but we can just put MORE money aside to SAVE our way out of this problem! Why the hell didn't we think of that?

Well Said!

Also the older generations complain about the younger generations not knowing how to "take care of things themselves." (like car work or general handy-man things) Yet they turn right around and find the nearest young person to get help with a smart phone issue, internet issue, or computer issues etc. I see it all the time. I am close to the generational cusp myself (very beginning of 85), but I have learned how to take care of a great many things myself. Hell, I am building my own business. However, I have seen so many of the older generation take pride in being ignorant of emerging technology. That itself is a whole level of entitlement. The Supreme Court when voting on DOMA/SOPA stated "we don't understand this, lets get the younger generation in here to explain it."

#65 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@Lach0121 said:
@theone86 said:
@SoNin360 said:

Blaming stuff on the younger generation isn't anything new. "Millennials" will be shitting on whatever generation it is now, Z? before long if it's not already happening.

In any case, it's all annoying. Pointing fingers at other groups of people for pretty much all problems in society. Humans are really good at doing that.

It definitely feels a lot different for millennials. It seems like there's no end to the chorus of people blaming us for everything under the sun, and then blaming us for trying to fix the things they blamed us for in the first place. It also seems to be a lot more vitriolic. Yes, people always complained about the younger generation, but they never blamed them for destroying whole industries, the institution of marriage, human procreation, etc., etc. I know they said a lot of the same things about Gen X, that they were lazy and listless, but it never felt this intense. And what's kind of ironic is not only do we have boomers and "greatest" gens blaming us for everything under the sun, but plenty of Gen Xers buy into it as well. They faced the same kind of hardship, they were the first generation in a while to have lifetime earnings beneath that of their parents for example, but they still tend to have a negative view of millennials, possibly because we're starting to see better job prospects than they are.

Anyway, yes, I'm completely ****ing done with it. I'm sick to death of people calling us entitled and lazy when we work some of the longest hours of any generation for subpar pay, of people who made a nice life for themselves on union salaries torching unions on their way out and then acting like it's our fault when we earn less money than they did, of people not taking into account the effect that skyrocketing education and housing costs have on our lifetime earnings and ability to save, of people not recognizing that we have some of the lowest lifetime earnings of any generation because of a recession that we didn't create, and of people acting like all the ways in which we're behind our own parents is because of some generational character flaw and not in the slightest because we have to deal with all of these issues. I was actually reading a well-researched article the other day that was going through all of the things that impact millennials negatively-low wages, high tuition, student debt, high housing prices-which seemed to be sympathetic to millenials. Then right at the end, with no substantiation, it said that the way out of all of this was for us to save and I wanted to scream. Yeah, we're having a hard time affording the basic necessities like rent, but we can just put MORE money aside to SAVE our way out of this problem! Why the hell didn't we think of that?

Well Said!

Also the older generations complain about the younger generations not knowing how to "take care of things themselves." (like car work or general handy-man things) Yet they turn right around and find the nearest young person to get help with a smart phone issue, internet issue, or computer issues etc. I see it all the time. I am close to the generational cusp myself (very beginning of 85), but I have learned how to take care of a great many things myself. Hell, I am building my own business. However, I have seen so many of the older generation take pride in being ignorant of emerging technology. That itself is a whole level of entitlement. The Supreme Court when voting on DOMA/SOPA stated "we don't understand this, lets get the younger generation in here to explain it."

There are just so many factors contributing to this and so many ways to dissect it that I don't even know where to begin. I could probably write an entire book on it, and I'm pretty sure someone already has. But yeah, if people could just take a little bit of time to appreciate the younger generation and all we have to bring to the table I think they'd be pleasantly surprised. Instead they tend to isolate themselves in these self-reinforcing bubbles (dare I call them safe spaces?) where all their grievances are just constantly amplified by those around them.

#66 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86 said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

We raised Millenials a little too safe I believe, that was one of our parenting mistakes, that's because we were bombarded with pedophilia, cults, and a big spike in crime rates in the 70's. On the news every night. We just wanted our kids to be safe, so we overcompensated.

You're a hypocritical old crank. You go around trashing millennials and calling them names for happening to be born when smartphones were invented, and then when they get understandably angry at you for doing so you accuse them of being hateful. That is classic bullying. You are, bar none, the shittiest human being I've ever had the displeasure of interacting with. Don't try to hide your bullshit behind a facade of geniality, you are just as ill-meaning as someone who's rude to your face, you just try to convince yourself that you're better because you call people "brother." You're not. Deal with your shit.

As I've already pointed out, even by your own subjective standards there are plenty of millennials who are the children of boomers. I'm a millennial and both of my parents are boomers by your own standards. So, just like most boomers, you're ignoring facts in order to peddle your own version of reality that just so happens to flatter your oversized ego. Quelle surprise!

You didn't do shit. Did you buy me a smartphone? Did you buy me a videogame console? Did you raise me? No? Then shut the **** up. Like I said, you try to live vicariously through other people because you ain't done shit with your useless life. Here's a thought: instead of going around making yourself feel better by criticizing everyone around you, you actually go out and do something helpful for other people? You think millennials got ruined by videogames and Star Wars? Then why don't you get up off your fat ass, get off the videogame forum, go out, and actually talk to some millennials. If you think you have so much "wisdom" about why the world is the way it is and how to change it, why don't you go out and actually try to change it? Or you could just sit around like the bitter, selfish old crank you are and continue to bitch and moan about how shit everyone else is. Your choice.

The shittiest human being ever? You don't even know me, if you did I'm sure your opinion would be quite different. Honestly they should ban you for personal attacks, but its not a big deal to me in any event.

I honestly think millenials have an opportunity to do excellent things and I'm hopeful they will, since 80's millenials are mostly Generation Jones children (last of GenX are usually our children as well) even if YOU were born to Boomers. I don't complain about them concerning everything or even that much, they have their faults like any other generation including my own. It isn't millenials fault that they can stick around home until they are 26, or that we live in such ridiculously sensitive times (go Kevin Hart!), I get that. I like that some of them think outside the box since they have access to so much information, thats a positive that could bear fruit.

One of the problems I have with millenials is when some of them complain about lack of jobs. We in Generation Jones figured out how to make it work when Boomers took all the jobs and the economy sank. We just did it. You can too, especially since the economy is improving, though I'm not sure the sectors involved.

The other big problem is, well yes (and I hate to say it), millenials come across as being entitled to everything. Maybe thats just optics but they sure seem to be that way and you haven't said anything to make me feel any different. Some day you guys will have a voice in Congress and the Presidency, you can make the changes as need be. But until then make the best of what you have and don't think that everything should be given to you. Not going to happen. Put your smart phone down, do some independent thinking, and put your plan in motion.

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem, and I see good potential. Even more in the generation after. But I see us as a people being too dependent on technology and losing ourselves. I think that if these generations lost their smart phones they would feel they lost part of themselves, which is quite sad actually. Myself, I use the smart phone when I need to use a particular app, but it will never run my life.

#67 Posted by Ridgett_B (15 posts) -

Too old myself to be a millennial but you can’t just blame a group of people. Ugh so many people these days whine like babies.

#68 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:
@theone86 said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

We raised Millenials a little too safe I believe, that was one of our parenting mistakes, that's because we were bombarded with pedophilia, cults, and a big spike in crime rates in the 70's. On the news every night. We just wanted our kids to be safe, so we overcompensated.

The shittiest human being ever? You don't even know me, if you did I'm sure your opinion would be quite different. Honestly they should ban you for personal attacks, but its not a big deal to me in any event.

I honestly think millenials have an opportunity to do excellent things and I'm hopeful they will, since 80's millenials are mostly Generation Jones children (last of GenX are usually our children as well) even if YOU were born to Boomers. I don't complain about them concerning everything or even that much, they have their faults like any other generation including my own. It isn't millenials fault that they can stick around home until they are 26, or that we live in such ridiculously sensitive times (go Kevin Hart!), I get that. I like that some of them think outside the box since they have access to so much information, thats a positive that could bear fruit.

One of the problems I have with millenials is when some of them complain about lack of jobs. We in Generation Jones figured out how to make it work when Boomers took all the jobs and the economy sank. We just did it. You can too, especially since the economy is improving, though I'm not sure the sectors involved.

The other big problem is, well yes (and I hate to say it), millenials come across as being entitled to everything. Maybe thats just optics but they sure seem to be that way and you haven't said anything to make me feel any different. Some day you guys will have a voice in Congress and the Presidency, you can make the changes as need be. But until then make the best of what you have and don't think that everything should be given to you. Not going to happen. Put your smart phone down, do some independent thinking, and put your plan in motion.

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem, and I see good potential. Even more in the generation after. But I see us as a people being too dependent on technology and losing ourselves. I think that if these generations lost their smart phones they would feel they lost part of themselves, which is quite sad actually. Myself, I use the smart phone when I need to use a particular app, but it will never run my life.

Nope, my opinion would be the same. You're a bitter, selfish bully who gets off on insulting other people. That's true whether you're on the internet or real life. And again, what a hypocrite you are for accusing me of using personal attacks. You're the one who started off by insulting an entire generation and calling their character into question. You're the one who feels comfortable insulting the upbringing of everyone in a certain age group just because it feeds your oversized ego. Would you honestly go up to a stranger and start telling them how they raised their kids wrong? If the answer is yes then you're a shitty person for saying so, and if the answer is no then you're a shitty person for thinking that it's somehow okay for you to do the same thing to parents of millennials in general. Either way, you're a shitty person. If you don't like that then the answer isn't for you to pout and complain like the snowflake you are, the answer is or you to stop doing the things that make you a shitty person and start trying to be a better one.

There's no such thing as generation Jones. You're a boomer. Stop inventing facts and stick to reality, snowflake.

I don't care how millennials come across, it's not true. The fact that you think it's true speaks more to you and your twisted mindset. It speaks more to the fact that you go around with an idea in your head, talk with other people who have the same idea, and reinforce that idea regardless of any evidence to the contrary. That's called groupthink and confirmation bias, look them up.

I don't care what you see. What you see is worthless. You know the problem with people like you? You want to be taken seriously on every topic under the sun without having any knowledge or expertise whatsoever. You want to wax rhapsodical about "good ol times" and how "technology is making us worse," oh but you still want to use technology constantly and act like it doesn't affect you in the slightest, while complaining that it ruins everyone else. That is a huge goddamn sign that something is wrong with the way you think. "Everyone else is screwed by technology, oh but me? No, I'm the exception!" You have issues, dude, and no amount of bullying millennials is going to make those issues go away. It's just going to make us understandably angry with you. Anyway, this reminds me of what Socrates (allegedly) said when an oracle told him he was the wisest man on earth. He said he talked to everyone he could in order to find someone wiser and, while ship builders knew more about ship building and horse trainers knew more about horse training, he found that ship builders thought they knew everything there was to know about horse training and horse trainers thought they knew everything there was to know about ship building, whereas he knew that ship builders knew more than him about ship building and horse trainers knew more about horse training. So he concluded that "he is wisest among you who knows that his wisdom is worth nothing."

And, for gods sake, shut the **** up with this "millennials think everything should be given to them" bullshit. I've already explained why it's bullshit. We're facing the worst economic conditions since the great depression, yes, worse than the ones you faced. We are economically worse off on every objective measure. The costs of college and housing have risen higher than the cost of inflation, wages have not kept up with inflation. The costs of healthcare are ballooning, in no small part due to the fact that we have a massive generation of people reaching old age that my generation is going to be expected to care for. We don't have unions to protect our wages, or our workplace well-being, and every time we try to organize for fair treatment we get some jerk like you calling us entitled and accusing us of wanting things handed to us. I work my mother****ing ass off in a shit job for shit pay and shit bosses who have zero respect for my time, who demand I work far past my scheduled hours doing tasks I wasn't hired to do, who not only don't show any gratitude for it but act like they're entitled to it, so that I can pay a massively inflated tuition bill that's so goddamn high, by the way, because my jerkoff Boomer governor, elected by jerkoff Boomer voters, decided that shutting down my state government for two years in order to crush unions was more important than providing stability and good government to the people he was elected to represent. Oh, and even though it's illegal to fire workers for trying to unionize, workplaces like mine have been known to find loopholes to fire union-affiliated workers for minor offenses, so again, thanks for killing unions for me. Between school and work I've put in over seventy hour weeks on multiple occasions, working full time rent takes up over seventy percent of my paycheck, and I rely on Medicaid because I can't afford the hundreds more it would cost me to buy even the lowest-tiered insurance plan. Then on top of that all I have to listen to cranks like you go around calling people like me lazy and entitled. **** that noise and anyone who makes it. You don't know shit about the world, old man. You sit around in your easy chair throwing accusations at everyone else thinking you had it bad, when the people actually out here in the world have it one hundred times worse. You would be crying in the corner if you had to deal with what I have to deal with.

#69 Edited by sonicare (56319 posts) -

People always make fun of the younger generation. Except me, I make fun of the older generations. And steal their medicine

#70 Edited by LordLobster (191 posts) -

Cheer up everyone, the Boomers will be dead soon.

#71 Posted by sonicare (56319 posts) -

People like to blame each other for problems, because it's a great way to deny any responsibility and helps make you feel good about yourself. That's why I blame all of you guys for most things. But let's look at this more closely.

The "greatest generation" (don't know what they are also called) came from mostly nothing. They grew up in the great depression and fought in ww2. I think they earn all of our respect. Most of them were not college educated and certainly had no sense of entitlement. They did better than their predecessors but the bar was low. The middle class in the US started to blossom during the times of the baby boomers. Factory/industrial jobs built the middle class in this country and they were more plentiful in the 50's and 60's. You could raise a family and live a decent life on those wages. Many of them attended college, but a good portion did not. College was considered a big deal and not necessary for many jobs. Wealth started to build and distribute to more people in this country. This generation, as a whole, exceeded their parent's generations in terms of wealth.

Generations start to blur after that, but im going with Gen X then Millenials. I believe Gen X was the first generation to not do better than their parents. That's not to say they did poorly, but just did not surpass their parents monetary success as a whole. But the bar was also higher. College was no longer considered a bonus, but rather a neccessity for many jobs. Gen X's were used to growing up in more affluent households, and thus likely had higher standards of living than their predecessors. Ergo, entitlement so to speak. But jobs were becoming more complex and less available to the general public. It was hard to find good factory jobs that could support a family and living standards. Many of those got outsourced overseas or had their wages substantially reduced. Higher paying jobs required far more education and thus more debt.

Now come in millenials. Who hit the job markets at times of increasing globalization and complex and changing geopolitics that affect everything in their lives. I'd say it's hard to pin all the blame on either millenials or their predecessors. The only thing i can blame is all the baby boomers and Gen X'ers who ate all that lead paint and then gave birth to these millenials with lead riddled brains. But that's really the fault of the greatest generation for not having better regulations on lead paint. So, I guess we can all blame Tom brokaw.

#73 Posted by SOedipus (11196 posts) -

@theone86: You're such a hypocrite. Reading these posts you come across as the shittiest human being and I can picture you crying in the corner with these meltdown posts. Calling out people for bullying when you're the one name-calling.....Jesus.

#74 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

I do have alot of admiration for Gen Z (born starting around 1995), they are the first true digital generation and I find them alot more interesting than millenials. They don't seem to whine much and are much better multi-taskers than millenials or really any generation prior. They seem to have put it together much better than the previous generation, I'm excited to see what they bring for the future. They actually will talk to people face to face from time to time which is a nice throwback.

Like Generation Jones they are the first generation after major changes. For us, we were the first after Civil Rights and Womens Rights movements were established, and we were the first generation to grow up with personal computers and video games. For them an encompassing base of technology has been firmly established and I think they will build on it just as we built on integrating equal rights for all and pioneering advancements in computer technology.

#75 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -

@SOedipus: Considering your posting history and general outlook, that pretty much means nothing to me. You're exactly the type of person I'd expect to not realize why going around calling an entire generation lazy and entitled and calling their parentage into question is a shitty thing to do and constitutes bullying.

#76 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

I do have alot of admiration for Gen Z (born starting around 1995), they are the first true digital generation and I find them alot more interesting than millenials. They don't seem to whine much and are much better multi-taskers than millenials or really any generation prior. They seem to have put it together much better than the previous generation, I'm excited to see what they bring for the future. They actually will talk to people face to face from time to time which is a nice throwback.

Like Generation Jones they are the first generation after major changes. For us, we were the first after Civil Rights and Womens Rights movements were established, and we were the first generation to grow up with personal computers and video games. For them an encompassing base of technology has been firmly established and I think they will build on it just as we built on integrating equal rights for all and pioneering advancements in computer technology.

Oh look, you're complimenting gen z in order to cast aspersions on millennials, what a nice guy you are! Oh wait, that's a classic bully tactic, meant to pit people who have no reason to be angry with each other against themselves in order to distract them from the fact that it's the bully they should really be mad at. You're still a cynical, malicious, toxic person. Complimenting gen z doesn't disprove that, it proves it further. You can't even give some group a compliment without insulting some other group. Like I said before, fix your shit, dude. Stop taking your own problems out on other people because you're too stubborn to actually face them yourself. Or just find someone else to bother. Quick, better get outside, I think there might be kids playing on your lawn!

#77 Posted by SOedipus (11196 posts) -

@theone86: Considering your posting history I'm astonished that you didn't call me a name or write a page-worth story about how you're a victim. If my post meant nothing, then why reply?

Also, I didn't say that I agreed with generalizing people from specific generations. And if that constitutes bullying, then just you wait for when you get out in the real world because it sounds like you haven't yet.

Also also, I'm a millennial too. I've heard from older people refer to me and my generation as entitled and whiny. I don't flip shit on them.

#78 Edited by JackBurton (3808 posts) -

@ironbrigador said:

I talked to millenials all the time and they are already doing what their predecessors are doing, talking shit of Gen Z. Its just a cycle..

I'm a Gen-X, latch-key kid who grew up with all the freedom a child could ever want (ie allowed to go to movies, malls, or almost anywhere else, by bus or bike, unattended at the age of 8).

Anyway, the WORST part of aging is I find myself thinking/saying the types of cringe-worthy stuff my parents/grandparents would say. For example, I find the notion of 'emotional safe-spaces' at universities, or anywhere, absolutely laughable; and I think that i-Gen/Gen-Z has got to be THE SOFTEST, and most sickeningly narcissistic, generation ever. No offense to anyone.

I wish I could live in the '90s forever.

#79 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@JackBurton:

The 90's were a good time, I miss them as well. After I left the Air Force in '85 I worked a few years full-time before going to college in '91 with the GenX crowd. I have always felt a common bond with them, being among the last of the previous generation. Fun times, grunge was getting started about then.

#80 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86:

It's way too easy to get under your skin good sir. I knew you would come back with exactly the rant you did.

Truth is, I have never disliked millenials at all, just like with any generation they have theit good and bad points.I work with many of them, I enjoy their company and friends with some of them. Now if they would just put their phones down....heh I'm just kidding. I take every person as an individual.

To be fair to the Boomers they also had their unique situations to deal with, for instance...Vietnam. Their parents ("Greatest generation") kept shoving down their throat the patriotic duty of going to war for their country, but the Boomers reflected on their situation and concluded that it was not a war they should be involved in to begin with, one that the government gambled numerous Boomer lives with as a testing ground for the military's newest war toys....on the other side of the world to boot.It was an unnecessary war, so many protested. Boomer males lived every day with the threat of the draft, something you or I never had to contend with. The "Greatest Generation" shoved a lot of expectations down the Boomers throats, but Boomers had a vision (shared by MLK) of a world with much more racial and international harmony. A bit too idealistic at that point, but they set the stage for a great deal of progress we have made today. Boomers deserve credit there.

My generation, Generation Jones (previously called Boomers 2 or late Boomers) were much more practical than idealistic. Our parents were from the Silent generation.Vietnam and Watergate had come and gone, the Baby Boomers had flooded the job market so we had to compete not only with Baby Boomers but with our own generation, which was bigger than Baby Boomers. So we were a highly competitive generation, we had to be, we had to outduel our competition at interviews and on the job. It sucked at the time but made us better. Some of the bigger names in technology came out of our group and the Apple ll personal computer became big as we came of age. First part of Jones tended to be conservative, the 2nd half (born in the 60's) had much more in common with GenX and was part of the original punk-rock movement. In order to try to live a better life like the Boomers, our cohort popularized the practice of 2 working adults in a household, but unfortunately this probably contributed a bit to the rising divorce rate which continued to increase with Generation X.

Why am I saying this? I'm just trying to point out that each generation has their reasons for being as they are. Millenials also have their story, I understand that. I simply pointed out some things that I saw with them sometimes, but perhaps they have their reasons also.

#81 Edited by JackBurton (3808 posts) -

@AFBrat87

I have no children (and never ask friends who are parents), but wonder how my gen (x), who had so much freedom as children, could so shelter theirs. I mean I totally understand wanting to protect them, but helicopter and bulldozer parenting is beyond my comprehension.

SouthPark is genius. When they introduced the "pc babies" i lol'd so hard i almost died. I miss George Carlin. I'm glad he didn't live long enough to see this s***t show, but his death left a huge void.

#82 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@JackBurton:

I just got through watching some you tube clips of "PC babies" on South Park.......absolutely hilarious, took a few minutes to stop laughing.

George Carlin was awesome, I'll never forget hearing the "7 words you can never say on TV" skit as a kid back in 1974, he was as far from the PC BS as was possible, he hated that crap. I can't blame him, I hate it too. Unfortunately way too prevalent now. In the 1980's and 1990's it always seemed you could have a normal conversation at work without an issues. But nowadays you have to watch every single thing you say so you don't end up in HR with your job on the line.

#83 Posted by Sexay_Vixen (32 posts) -

Blame the internet. Something NOT made by millennials.

#84 Posted by phbz (3850 posts) -

Damn millennials and their threads!

#85 Posted by skipper847 (7292 posts) -

I blame every one born after 1995 is the problem. They have no respect for any one and demand everything. Its mainly ages between 16 and 30 year old that are worse.

#86 Posted by dave123321 (35387 posts) -

It’s odd that some millennials think their gen is the first to face adversity

#87 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@SOedipus said:

@theone86: Considering your posting history I'm astonished that you didn't call me a name or write a page-worth story about how you're a victim. If my post meant nothing, then why reply?

Also, I didn't say that I agreed with generalizing people from specific generations. And if that constitutes bullying, then just you wait for when you get out in the real world because it sounds like you haven't yet.

Also also, I'm a millennial too. I've heard from older people refer to me and my generation as entitled and whiny. I don't flip shit on them.

I've been in the real world, junior. I just wrote a whole page talking about all the shit I have to deal with in the "real world" on a daily basis. The fact that you don't pay any attention to that because it doesn't fit your narrative is typical you. I "flip shit" because I have to deal with this shit in the "real world" on a daily basis. I see useless drunks bitching about how kids today are spoiled because their parents don't beat them, I see whiny pricks berating waiters and cashiers for no goddamn reason at all because "kids these days are spoiled," I see managers say things that should get them fired five times over but somehow it's oh-****ing-kay because they're doing it to "kids," and then I come home and have to deal with pricks on the internet lobbing those same bullshit accusations at me. I'm not ****ing okay with it and I'm not ****ing going to be. People like that keep getting away with treating other people like dirt because no one calls them on their bullshit. The whole ****ing world just stops to ****ing coddle them and tell them that "it's okay, gramps, it doesn't matter that you're a toxic asshole who goes around spewing caustic nonsense to make yourself feel better at the expense of others," which is ironic, because being coddled is one of the myriad accusations I get lobbed at me by those same people. I'm done taking it lying down. I'm not going to go around just staying silent because, even though other people are the ones mocking me without any provocation whatsoever, I'm somehow the asshole if I get angry about it. **** that. If you don't like that then tough shit, learn to deal with it.

@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

It's way too easy to get under your skin good sir. I knew you would come back with exactly the rant you did.

Truth is, I have never disliked millenials at all, just like with any generation they have theit good and bad points.I work with many of them, I enjoy their company and friends with some of them. Now if they would just put their phones down....heh I'm just kidding. I take every person as an individual.

To be fair to the Boomers they also had their unique situations to deal with, for instance...Vietnam. Their parents ("Greatest generation") kept shoving down their throat the patriotic duty of going to war for their country, but the Boomers reflected on their situation and concluded that it was not a war they should be involved in to begin with, one that the government gambled numerous Boomer lives with as a testing ground for the military's newest war toys....on the other side of the world to boot.It was an unnecessary war, so many protested. Boomer males lived every day with the threat of the draft, something you or I never had to contend with. The "Greatest Generation" shoved a lot of expectations down the Boomers throats, but Boomers had a vision (shared by MLK) of a world with much more racial and international harmony. A bit too idealistic at that point, but they set the stage for a great deal of progress we have made today. Boomers deserve credit there.

My generation, Generation Jones (previously called Boomers 2 or late Boomers) were much more practical than idealistic. Our parents were from the Silent generation.Vietnam and Watergate had come and gone, the Baby Boomers had flooded the job market so we had to compete not only with Baby Boomers but with our own generation, which was bigger than Baby Boomers. So we were a highly competitive generation, we had to be, we had to outduel our competition at interviews and on the job. It sucked at the time but made us better. Some of the bigger names in technology came out of our group and the Apple ll personal computer became big as we came of age. First part of Jones tended to be conservative, the 2nd half (born in the 60's) had much more in common with GenX and was part of the original punk-rock movement. In order to try to live a better life like the Boomers, our cohort popularized the practice of 2 working adults in a household, but unfortunately this probably contributed a bit to the rising divorce rate which continued to increase with Generation X.

Why am I saying this? I'm just trying to point out that each generation has their reasons for being as they are. Millenials also have their story, I understand that. I simply pointed out some things that I saw with them sometimes, but perhaps they have their reasons also.

And I knew you'd come back with exactly the rant you did, ignoring everything I said and continually making unfounded assertions in the face of proof and basic logic.

For someone who doesn't mind millennials, you sure do an awful lot of whining about them. If you're as far above the fracas as you claim to be maybe you should be the bigger man and end this argument. I know you won't, though, because you're a small, petty person. Better yet, if you have no problems with millennials, maybe you shouldn't go starting arguments with them on the internet, maybe you shouldn't go around mocking them for no damn good reason. You say you take every person as an individual, but then you blather on about what "your" generation has done and what "my" generation hasn't. You're completely ridiculous. You can't even make a cogent argument, yet you take some sort of pride out of being born in the same decade as Bill Gates? Like I said, you ain't done shit with your life. You just sit there and expect everyone to pay attention to your nonsensical blathering, expect everyone to look the other way while you hurl insults at people for being born in a certain year, and get angry at anyone who shatters your delusional little bubble. You're an overgrown baby in a safe space, hate to break it to you. Like I said, no prominent demographer acknowledges the existence of "generation Jones," but you expect us all to take your word at face value just because you open your mouth. You are arguing against logic, you are arguing against statistics, you are even arguing against yourself.

Here's a novel idea, why don't you try to refute one thing I've said, one point I've made? Like I said, millennials are statistically worse off than any generation in recent history, and yet you sit there and expect me to coddle you and tell you "oh, I'm so sorry you had to deal with an economy that was 100 times better than the one we're dealing with right now. Do you need a wowiepop, or maybe a bankie?" You've created this ridiculous narrative in your head about what each generation "does" and you just keep going around reinforcing it with nothing but anecdote, while simultaneously being hostile to anyone who says anything otherwise, no matter whether or not they have statistics to back up their argument, no matter whether or not they're using sound logic. You know what that tells me about you? You only care about you. You want the entire world to pay attention to your story no matter how many holes it has in it, you want the entire world to pay attention to your problems even though you go around telling other people that theirs don't matter. You want to tell yourself that you're some special snowflake just because of the year you were born in, that people born in your "generation" had some special quality that made you "more competitive" or "idealistic" than everyone else. Oh, but that's right, you said you judge people as individuals, so now because you've said that it's completely okay for you to judge people collectively. For someone with so many obvious flaws I think you'd be a bit more understanding about other people's. What's that they say about people in glass houses throwing stones? You're not throwing stones in a glass house, you're throwing goddamned grenades.

#88 Posted by dave123321 (35387 posts) -

@theone86: stop generalizing groups of people

#89 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -

@dave123321: Who am I generalizing?

#90 Posted by dave123321 (35387 posts) -

Boomers

#91 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -

@dave123321: No I'm not.

#92 Posted by dave123321 (35387 posts) -

Okay

#93 Posted by comp_atkins (35365 posts) -

beyond understanding that in some ways mils have a shitty deal, i don't know what else you want from us