Blade Runner: 2019 or 2049? Which do you like better?

Edited 1 month, 9 days ago

Poll: Blade Runner: 2019 or 2049? Which do you like better? (14 votes)

Blade Runner (Original/2019) 64%
Blade Runner 2049 36%

I didn't watch these films until as recent as last year and two days ago respectively and I enjoyed the hell out of them. Tough call, but I might give the slight edge to the original. I watched "The Final Cut" version as well.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -

2049. I was more invested in the story.

While it's visually impressive, still think the original looks and sounds better.

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16078 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

2049. I was more invested in the story.

While it's visually impressive, still think the original looks and sounds better.

Yeah, they followed the more interesting character this time.

#3 Posted by Horgen (120645 posts) -

The old I think. To long since I saw either movie.

#4 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1623 posts) -

I've seen Blade Runner over ten times. I'll probably never watch Blade Runner 2049 again. Wrote this after my second viewing:

I watched this for the second time on Friday. I don’t think I’m ever gonna watch this again. I just don’t like Denis Villeneuve very much. Most of his movies feel cold.

BR 2049 makes itself out to be too important. Not only the story, which made Deckard and Rachael bigger figures in this cyberpunk noir than they ever should have been. I feel like they tried to make those few love scenes in the original more important than they had a right to be. The movie wasn’t trying to be an epic. Anyway, it wasn’t just the story that made itself to be too important, but even the contemplative way scenes are shot and the bizarre way Jaret Leto’s character acts.

Even the first scene bothered me. K lets go of his gun just so a fight can ensue, with some dumb justification that he needs to scan the victim’s eye. I mean, Deckard wasn’t a good assassin in the original either, but his kills didn’t annoy me like this one. He never lowered his guard after he was ready to kill.

The score by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch is excessively loud, heavy and ugly, with the theme in which K and Joi leave greater Los Angeles and Vangelis’ main theme at the end being among the only highlights.

I do like a lot of the scenery, the way the city looks, but I still think Ridley Scott’s team did it better almost forty years ago. I appreciate that they developed on themes of the original, like servitude, memory and environmentalism. K’s story wasn’t boring, but I don’t like Ryan Gosling much.

The movie is competent. It’s not special.

TLDR: The sequel is fine. Not a classic. Not remarkable.

#5 Posted by VagrantSnow (347 posts) -

The original (with the proper ending). New one was good but felt a bit too... safe.

#6 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4870 posts) -

I like both but I guess I favor the first one.

#7 Edited by Master_Live (19569 posts) -

I like the Original better, a classic, but the newer one is fine.

#8 Posted by johnd13 (9760 posts) -

I like both but the first feels more special and grounded (for its setting).