Birds of Prey maybe number 1 at the box office but it's still a flop with the low expectations!

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40572 Posts

Yes, I haven't done one of these in a long time and still on hiatus but I could't ignore not reporting this!

1. Birds of Prey - $33.2 Million (new release)
  2. Bad Boys for Life - $12.0 Million
  3. 1917 - $9 Million
  4. Doolittle - $6.6 Million
  5. Jumanji: The Next Level - $5.5 Million
  6. The Gentlemen - $4.1 Million
  7. Gretel & Hansel - $3.4 Million
  8. Knives Out - $2.35 Million
  9. Little Women - $2.32 Million
  10. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - $2.2 Million

Despite the heavy reviews praise, it still wasn't enough for Birds of Prey, fell's well short of expectations. I really feel the main reason Birds of Prey is so much lower than expected even with the positive critic buzz is that people probably just didn’t trust anything after how Suicide Squad went. Knives Out has been in top 10 for 11 weekends which is impressive, kudos to Rian Johnson. Now let's see how Sonic the Hedgehog fairs next weekend.

February 7-9 box office mojo weekend

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37666 Posts

Surprised it got made tbh. Regardless of how good the reviews are average Joe on the street who saw Suicide Squad won't want anything to do with it, even if it has nothing to do with it, asthmatically it looks like it.

The marketing sound-bytes of hasn't helped matter. Using terms like "toxic masculinity" is going to put the vast majority of males (and to a degree females) hearing that term off your product in an instant.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15862 Posts

I think it's funny they honestly expected an $50 million opening. Like DaVillain said, people felt burned from Suicide Squad.

I think Sonic might do ok next week, the PG rating makes it family friendly for the kids, but not sure if it will keep the older fans away. Atl least it doesn't look like a total abomination now.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27029 Posts

Haven't seen the other movies on this list but 1917 is pretty good. 8.5 from me.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain-  Moderator

@Master_Live I'm kinda surprise you haven't made an Oscars thread since it starts tonight.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2242 Posts

Whatever. More capeshit. Tap me when The Batman is out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45704 Posts

THat's too bad, I heard it is a really good movie.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7089 Posts

Dislike the woke politics of these new movies especially with what happened to Star Wars so I am skipping out. Do heard birds of prey was decent though.

It releasing during worldwide concern of coronavirus will hurt the movie badly.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Master_Live  Online
Member since 2004 • 20128 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Master_Live I'm kinda surprise you haven't made an Oscars thread since it starts tonight.

I haven't seen them all so I have abstained from making a thread fearing I someone might spoil one of those. But I'm definitely aware of the Oscars! :D

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17643 Posts

@sakaixx: "Dislike the woke politics of these new movies especially with what happened to Star Wars"

What happened?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5354 Posts

@davillain- said:

Despite the heavy reviews praise, it still wasn't enough for Birds of Prey, fell's well short of expectations. I really feel the main reason Birds of Prey is so much lower than expected even with the positive critic buzz is that people probably just didn’t trust anything after how Suicide Squad went. Knives Out has been in top 10 for 11 weekends which is impressive, kudos to Rian Johnson. Now let's see how Sonic the Hedgehog fairs next weekend.

The previews were not compelling for me to spend the money nor give up my time for a showing. Now I'm far from a comic geek/reader but Robbie doesn't pull me as the Quinn I'm used to seeing or would want to see.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168494 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

THat's too bad, I heard it is a really good movie.

Heard that too...….

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 4768 Posts

@davillain- said:

Yes, I haven't done one of these in a long time and still on hiatus but I could't ignore not reporting this!

1. Birds of Prey - $33.2 Million (new release)
  2. Bad Boys for Life - $12.0 Million
  3. 1917 - $9 Million
  4. Doolittle - $6.6 Million
  5. Jumanji: The Next Level - $5.5 Million
  6. The Gentlemen - $4.1 Million
  7. Gretel & Hansel - $3.4 Million
  8. Knives Out - $2.35 Million
  9. Little Women - $2.32 Million
  10. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - $2.2 Million

February 7-9 box office mojo weekend

now it's called ... Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey*

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3499 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Some reviewer described it as if a glitter bomb went off on the set of Deadpool. If they had marketed this thing like that, I think more people would have gone.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45704 Posts

@judaspete said:

@mrbojangles25: Some reviewer described it as if a glitter bomb went off on the set of Deadpool. If they had marketed this thing like that, I think more people would have gone.

shit man, when you put it like that, it sounds great.

Now they're renaming it, not sure if that's really going to make a difference.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5897 Posts

Those numbers all look low. Do many people go to the movies anymore? I know I don't.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15862 Posts

@pyro1245: January-February are usually known for low turnouts for movies. Sometimes you get a fils that does very well during that period, but it's usually few and far in between. Most of those movies listed have either run its course weeks or months ago, or arrived DOA during release.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain-  Moderator

@the_master_race: Changing the name is the least of this film's worries. If anything, this movie should have been all about Gotham City Sirens.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7089 Posts

I actually went despite saying I'm not gonna go watch it due to getting free ticket from my employers. Its basically a not as good deadpool movie and with less CGI. A 6/10 from me.

Also Rian probably has smug face right now seeing Knives Out still charting and charting higher than Star Wars.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7410 Posts

thought it was fantastic, overall movie had flaws but Harley Quinn's character carries the movie.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14078 Posts

Against all odds, it looks like Sonic may over-perform and blow Birds of Prey out of the water this weekend...

Weekend Box Office Forecast (Updated): Sonic the Hedgehog Tracking for Possible Breakout; Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island & The Photograph Aim to Leverage Double-Holiday Frame

• Sonic the Hedgehog - projected $45–55 million three-day / $55–66 million four-day
  • Birds of Prey - projected $16.6 million three-day

Sonic's opening weekend gross could possibly surpass what BOP makes in its first two weekends combined.

...Up until a few weeks ago, hardly anyone would've expected Sonic of all movies to destroy a DCEU movie at the box office.