biology or physics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NcloudN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NcloudN
Member since 2006 • 448 Posts
if u had to major in one what would you choose? im split in what i want to major in college. I kinda like both but cant choose
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Biophysics ftw
NcloudN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NcloudN
lol i knew someone would say that just not that fast, no but what if you could only choose one?
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
Well, I personally would choose physics because I find that stuff more interesting. But we all know that I know what's right for you. :wink:
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Physics.
Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts
Biology ....precious little life forms :)
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Physics is like the ultimate weed-out major.
SithLordXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SithLordXX
Member since 2007 • 463 Posts
You should pick physics.
Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
i love learning about biology.... so i choose biology. physics is interesting, no doubt. but i find biology more fascinating.
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I would go with biology. Although I like the ideas of physics I hate the course.
NcloudN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NcloudN
what do u mean by weed out major?
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 B05T0N
what do u mean by weed out major?NcloudN

By a certain period of time, the class size shrinks dramatically and everyone is now a bio or psych major.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts

Biology.

Took physics in HS. It was murder. We had homework problems that the teacher would spend 2 full periods doing (and half the times, he still wouldn't get the right answers.)

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="NcloudN"]what do u mean by weed out major?B05T0N

By a certain period of time, the ****size shrinks dramatically and everyone is now a bio or psych major.

Why would a physics major redeclare to biology or psychology? Those two majors are so unrelated that you'd expect failed physics majors to redeclare to any other major just as much.

As for the topic question, I'd say biology. Of course, I'm a bit biased seeing as how I'm biology minor (major is psychology. I'm thinking of switching the two though to where I'd be a bio major and a psych minor). Really though it depends on what you want to do. But like B05T0N already said, physics is a tough major (pretty much math with a theme). Biology is more about applied concepts though you'll need to take a fair amount of chemistry c.lasses as well (at my university all bio majors are required to minor in chemistry. You have to take general chem I and II, organic chem I and II, and biochem).

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts

Biology.

Took physics in HS. It was murder. We had homework problems that the teacher would spend 2 full periods doing (and half the times, he still wouldn't get the right answers.)

eo12601

lol, that's pretty funny. I actually found it quite the opposite. Just find out what you have, pick the right equation, rearrange the equation to find the missing variable, plug in numbers, and hit enter on the calculator. At least, that was what grade 11 physics was like Grade 12 physics hopefully won't be any different next semester.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 B05T0N

[QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="NcloudN"]what do u mean by weed out major?gameguy6700

By a certain period of time, the ****size shrinks dramatically and everyone is now a bio or psych major.

Why would a physics major redeclare to biology or psychology? Those two majors are so unrelated that you'd expect failed physics majors to redeclare to any other major just as much.

As for the topic question, I'd say biology. Of course, I'm a bit biased seeing as how I'm biology minor (major is psychology. I'm thinking of switching the two though to where I'd be a bio major and a psych minor). Really though it depends on what you want to do. But like B05T0N already said, physics is a tough major (pretty much math with a theme). Biology is more about applied concepts though you'll need to take a fair amount of chemistry c.lasses as well (at my university all bio majors are required to minor in chemistry. You have to take general chem I and II, organic chem I and II, and biochem).

I've seen it happen plenty of times. My friend was a math and physics double major and dropped physics because it was ridiculous. People switch and change areas of study a lot.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="NcloudN"]what do u mean by weed out major?B05T0N

I've seen it happen plenty of times. My friend was a math and physics double major and dropped physics because it was ridiculous. People switch and change areas of study a lot.

No, I believe that lots of physics majors drop and change to something else, I'm just wondering why you said that most switch to bio or psych as opposed to say chemistry or business.

Xbxg32000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xbxg32000
Member since 2005 • 1295 Posts
Physics.

-gl hf
~Xbx
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 B05T0N
[QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

No, I believe that lots of physics majors drop and change to something else, I'm just wondering why you said that most switch to bio or psych as opposed to say chemistry or business.

Business is about as far related to Physics as Psych is...
smallcaplegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smallcaplegend
Member since 2006 • 3083 Posts
physics it just rolls of the tongue,
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="NcloudN"]what do u mean by weed out major?B05T0N

I know. That's my question. Why were you saying physics majors tend to switch from physics to psych? The two fields seem so unrelated that one would expect a person to be just as likely to switch from physics to business.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 B05T0N
[QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="B05T0N"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

I know. That's my question. Why were you saying physics majors tend to switch from physics to psych? The two fields seem so unrelated that one would expect a person to be just as likely to switch from physics to business.

Not really a reason why. Physics is just an extremely difficult major, so when people decide it's not for them, they often have secondary interests that lay way outside the science spectrum.
2apture-13ound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 2apture-13ound
Member since 2007 • 1430 Posts

PHYSICS!!

Check the vids. see how cool physics can be :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW8rgKLPHMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FVjATcqvc

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
biology, its more intersting, thought Iycrof has as a point, biophysics does sound tempting.
darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts
I'm a biology major, and unless you want to go into medicine (I am), research, or science teaching, go with physics. But if anything on that list intrigues you go for biology without thinking twice.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameguy6700

I'm a biology major, and unless you want to go into medicine (I am), research, or science teaching, go with physics. But if anything on that list intrigues you go for biology without thinking twice.darkIink

Physics is also limited to those same career choices (excluding medicine).

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 B05T0N

[QUOTE="darkIink"]I'm a biology major, and unless you want to go into medicine (I am), research, or science teaching, go with physics. But if anything on that list intrigues you go for biology without thinking twice.gameguy6700

You can go into medicine with anything.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Well biology is what you want if you want to do something related to medicine. Physics for something along the lines of Engineering. I'm doing Computer Science right now and I'm required to take certain Physics class. So for me its Physics instead of Biology. Really though, we shouldn't be making your choices in college for you.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="darkIink"]I'm a biology major, and unless you want to go into medicine (I am), research, or science teaching, go with physics. But if anything on that list intrigues you go for biology without thinking twice.B05T0N

You can go into medicine with anything.

I was thinking more along the lines of having a Ph.D. in that particular field, though I guess this is about undergrad degress and not an entire career choice. But yeah, you can go into medicine with anything, though you'll have the best chances with a biology degree (though I hear that med schools are starting to look for applicants with more varied backgrounds). With physics engineering is also a possibility if he decides he wants to do that.

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
Physics easy. I don't particularly care for Biological sciences, which is probably why I am a Materials Engineer, not a Biomedical Engineer.
JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 JJ4545
Member since 2006 • 3015 Posts
I love the ideas behind physics, but hate the courses. Biology kicks ass, so do that.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Either would suit me.
Avatar image for evil_dutchman90
evil_dutchman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 evil_dutchman90
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts

I would go with biology. Although I like the ideas of physics I hate the course.lycrof

Hahaha, you like the ideas of physics?

What exactly are these ideas?

Stuff exists, moves, takes up space and passes through time. Damn, they're some good ideas.

Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts

[QUOTE="darkIink"]I'm a biology major, and unless you want to go into medicine (I am), research, or science teaching, go with physics. But if anything on that list intrigues you go for biology without thinking twice.gameguy6700

civil engineering, aviation, electronics...

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

[QUOTE="lycrof"]I would go with biology. Although I like the ideas of physics I hate the course.evil_dutchman90

Stuff exists, moves, takes up space and passes through time. Damn, they're some good ideas.

Didn't your parents ever tell you? If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. :roll:

Avatar image for evil_dutchman90
evil_dutchman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 evil_dutchman90
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts
[QUOTE="evil_dutchman90"]

[QUOTE="lycrof"]I would go with biology. Although I like the ideas of physics I hate the course.luke1889

Didn't your parents ever tell you? If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. :roll:

I don't have anything constructive to say?

"I like the ideas of physics"

what the hell is that meant to mean? How is it constructive.

And no my parents didn't teach me that, my Dad is a very opinionated man.