Bill Cosby retrial verdict: Guilty on all 3 counts of aggravated indecent assault

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2018/04/26/bill-cosby-retrial-day-14-deliberations-resume-after-hearing-defense-star-witness/553644002/

And so ends the career (and life really considering his age) of Bill Cosby. Lets face it, he's lived far better than many, and he did some things that make him a monster in the eyes of the public which's he's about to start paying for. I feel like we have already gone through a type of mourning process for Bill (for him, for his career, for ourselves), and I doubt we will end up going through it again when he actually does pass away.

Thoughts? Emotions you want to express? Now's the time.

Also I'm bringing up this topic @Jaysonguy made ten months ago praising Bill Cosby for going on victory tour for a mistrial because how often do you get that sort of opportunity?

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Comedian and TV icon Bill Cosby has been convicted on three counts of aggravated indecent assault at his sexual-assault retrial here Thursday, on the second day of deliberations.

It was not the outcome Cosby or his high-powered defense team wanted but it was an answer to the question that has haunted America since October 2014: Is "America's Dad" really a serial sexual predator who drugged and molested Andrea Constand at his nearby home in January 2004?

Last June, another jury at Cosby's first trial deadlocked on that question after days of deliberations, forcing Judge Steven O'Neill to declare a mistrial.

For the retrial, the jury of seven men and five women voted unanimously that the answer was yes. Cosby, charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault, could get 10 years in prison on each count. He denied the charges, asserting that his sexual encounter with Constand was consensual and that he only gave her an over-the-counter allergy medication.

At 80 and in failing health, any prison term is likely a death sentence.

Advocates for rape victims and lawyers who represent many of the five-dozen women who have accused Cosby of being a serial rapist immediately started celebrating outside the courthouse here.

They mounted regular protests during both trials, including a topless protest on the opening day of the retrial, hoping to influence the media and the public.

But the jury, which was sequestered at a local hotel, saw and heard none of this. They were instructed not to let outside influences, such as the Me Too movement to call out sexual harassment and assault, creep into the jury room.

"The pressure to be politically correct coming from the Me Too movement should not but unfortunately could influence the jury," says California trial attorney Lara Yeretsian, who followed the case.

Cosby could appeal the conviction, arguing that the jury was biased, "but it’s not easy to show the jury was tainted," Yeretsian says. "You have to get inside their minds to determine bias or hope they make statements to others to that effect."

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele, who failed to persuade the first jury, had a difficult job: A 14-year-old alleged sex crime. No physical or forensic evidence. An accuser who waited a year to report it. An acclaimed defendant whose iconic status garnered him support.

And there was the dauntingly high burden-of-proof standard that every prosecutor must meet in a felony case in the American criminal justice system: Persuade 12 jurors "beyond a reasonable doubt" that the defendant is guilty and vote unanimously to convict. All it takes is one doubtful juror to change the outcome.

Cosby was charged in December 2015, just weeks before Pennsylvania's unusually lengthy statute of limitations on sex crimes was about to expire. In the previous year, Cosby was accused by 60 women who said Cosby drugged and assaulted them in episodes dating back to the mid-1960s.

All of those accusations were too old to prosecute, except Constand's. She did not report what she said happened to her until a year later, in 2005, but the then-district attorney said there was insufficient evidence to charge Cosby. So Constand filed a civil suit against him instead. Cosby was deposed for the suit, which was settled and sealed in 2006; as Steele revealed in his opening statement at the retrial, Cosby paid Constand $3.4 million to settle their case.

After the first Cosby accusers began coming forward in October 2014, the Associated Press went to federal court seeking that the deposition Cosby gave in the civil suit be released "in the public interest," and they won. In it, Cosby acknowledged acquiring drugs, specifically quaaludes, to give to women he sought for sex. That gave county prosecutors "new evidence" to give Constand's long-quiescent criminal case new life.

Steele, who was running for district attorney that fall, put up attack ads criticizing his opponent for failing to prosecute Cosby in 2005. He won. The following month, he charged Cosby.

The first trial took place in June 2017. After six days of testimony (the defense called only one witness and then rested) and the equivalent of five days of deliberations, it ended in a mistrial.

The retrial was different: There were 13 days of testimony and arguments and a day and a half of deliberations, and there were more witnesses who testified. Prosecutors were allowed by O'Neill to call five other accusers of Cosby — "prior bad acts" witnesses — to testify that he did the same thing to them, too.

And Cosby was allowed to call a former friend and colleague of Constand, who testified that Constand spoke of a plan to frame a celebrity with false accusations so she could sue and make millions.

Both prosecutors and defense lawyers were more aggressive in their courtroom tactics and cross-examinations, and in their regular sniping at each other. The defense launched a caustic attack on Constand in its opening statement, labeling her a greedy "con artist." The prosecution bashed Cosby as the real "con man" whose sordid extramarital sex life and predatory behavior belied his good-guy image from his years on The Cosby Show.

Much was made in the media and outside the courtroom about the fact the retrial took place in a dramatically different environment from last year — after the dawning of the Me Too movement that began in October 2017.

What happens outside a criminal courtroom is supposed to stay outside. But human nature is what it is, says Yeretsian. Few jurors could escape the cultural revolution of the Me Too movement, she says.

"Jurors don’t live in a vacuum, and they could be responding sympathetically to the movement, even on a subconscious level," Yeretsian says. "The diligent juror will do his or her best to only rely on the evidence presented in the courtroom. ... Still, the movement could sneak into the deliberations room when determining the credibility of Constand and the prior bad acts witnesses."

#2 Edited by bigfootpart2 (880 posts) -

Never found him funny and think he's a total piece of garbage as a human being. I hope they throw away the key.

#3 Posted by foxhound_fox (97323 posts) -

#4 Edited by brimmul777 (3747 posts) -

Scumbag. He can't do enough suffering in jail,my beliefs he'll rot/burn in hell. He deserves what comes to him. He ruined so many lives while fooling everyone else, he wasn't that great of a performer anyhow. Overrated Scumbag.

#5 Edited by judaspete (2558 posts) -

This one hurts. I've loved Bill Cosby since I was a kid, and to have all this come out just makes me sad. I'm glad he's finally paying for what he did, but to say I'm happy about it would not be the right words.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#6 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12313 posts) -

Never liked him. Always thought The Cosby Show was trash. Lock him up and let him find out what a fudge pop feels like in prison.

#7 Posted by Solaryellow (4330 posts) -

Although I believe he is guilty of some of the cases of sexual assault, I have a problem with trying him over and over until the D.A. gets the verdict he/she wants. IMO, a hung jury or not, he was tried once and wasn't convicted.

#8 Posted by PSP107 (17180 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag: " The Cosby Show was trash. "

lol, what was your beef with it?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#9 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12313 posts) -
@PSP107 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: " The Cosby Show was trash. "

lol, what was your beef with it?

It wasn't funny nor is any family as "perfect" as it tried to portray. It was a bad show.

#10 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78528 posts) -

Bye bye!

#11 Posted by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -

@judaspete: I feel the same way.

#12 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15473 posts) -

@Solaryellow: He wasn't convicted, but he was never acquitted. Because the first trial ended in a mistrial, doesn't mean the charges against him go away--it simply means they start all over again. The only way the charges disappear is either the prosecution decides not to go to trial again, in which case the charges against him are dismissed. The other way is to actually get that acquittal, and be found not guilty in court.

#13 Edited by Solaryellow (4330 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Solaryellow: He wasn't convicted, but he was never acquitted. Because the first trial ended in a mistrial, doesn't mean the charges against him go away--it simply means they start all over again. The only way that happens is either the prosecution decides not to go to trial again, in which case the charges against him are dismissed. The other way is to actually get that acquittal, and be found not guilty in court.

I don't require a dissertation on how the law works because I am aware. I just have the opinion his first trial should be it regardless if the outcome was a win, lose or draw. I disagree with the process. Dirtball or not, the D.A. tried him and didn't convict him.

#14 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15473 posts) -

@Solaryellow: Fair enough. There was a user some time back (forgot who that person was) that went on a whole diatribe form some other court case, that said if a case ends in a mistrial, that person is found not guilty, and the charges against him are dropped. Caused my head to almost pop, hence the whole thing from me.

#15 Posted by Solaryellow (4330 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Solaryellow: Fair enough. There was a user some time back (forgot who that person was) that went on a whole diatribe form some other court case, that said if a case ends in a mistrial, that person is found not guilty, and the charges against him are dropped. Caused my head to almost pop, hence the whole thing from me.

Now whomever said such a thing is clearly a jackass.

Clearly it isn't double jeopardy but it sure seems that way at times. Betty Broderick, The Menendez Brothers, Cosby, etc.., Whether the jury is hung 11-1 or whatever, I feel the state should have one and only one opportunity to convict but that isn't the case.

#16 Posted by Ovirew (8330 posts) -

I will say that I was entirely blown away whenever Cosby's antics came to light. I've sat and watched episodes of his shows before and enjoyed them, and he used to be the face of Jell-o pudding on TV commercials. I even watched Kids Say the Darnedest Things a few times with my parents. And I remember him railing against many hip-hop artists for distasteful behavior. Let's not forget Fat Albert. He really did project the image that he was a clean, family guy.

It's funny how someone that renown can get away with something like that for so long and keep it hush.

#17 Posted by SOedipus (11060 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Also I'm bringing up this topic @Jason_Guy made ten months ago praising Bill Cosby for going on victory tour for a mistrial because how often do you get that sort of opportunity?

I think you meant @Jaysonguy?

#18 Posted by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -

@SOedipus said:
@Serraph105 said:

Also I'm bringing up this topic @Jason_Guy made ten months ago praising Bill Cosby for going on victory tour for a mistrial because how often do you get that sort of opportunity?

Quite right, thanks for noticing. :)

#19 Posted by PSP107 (17180 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag: "It wasn't funny nor is any family as "perfect" as it tried to portray. It was a bad show."

lol, I guess black folks can't be be portrayed as successful/positive on TV or isn't real.

Anyway, I'm not a expert on the Cosby show but I've seen plenty of episodes and the kids are far from perfect.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (25511 posts) -

I was never really a fan of his but never hated him either. Watched some episodes of the Cosby show but never really got much out of it. Anyway if he really did those horrible things, which seems to be highly likely, then I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

#21 Edited by bigfootpart2 (880 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

I will say that I was entirely blown away whenever Cosby's antics came to light. I've sat and watched episodes of his shows before and enjoyed them, and he used to be the face of Jell-o pudding on TV commercials. I even watched Kids Say the Darnedest Things a few times with my parents. And I remember him railing against many hip-hop artists for distasteful behavior. Let's not forget Fat Albert. He really did project the image that he was a clean, family guy.

It's funny how someone that renown can get away with something like that for so long and keep it hush.

He was a huge hypocrite in addition to being an evil rapist.

#23 Posted by Byshop (18943 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:
@SOedipus said:
@Serraph105 said:

Quite right, thanks for noticing. :)

Yeah, that guy was a real piece of work. As for Cosby, good riddance.

-Byshop