Best movie monologues?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

There are many greats, but I need to find one because I have to do a monolgue for my acting class. I like the main one from Trainspotting, The one from The Great dictator, Jaws, the famous one from Network, and George C. Scott's one from Patton.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Amadeus, When F. Murray Abraham explains the brilliance of mozarts music.. gives me ghoosebumps every time lol

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Pulp Fiction had a couple great ones, Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting and I like Sly Stallone's in Rocky Balboa when he's telling his son off.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

V's from V For Vendetta is pretty cool (doesn't exactly tell you anything you wouldn't know by looking at the movie poster, but it sounds cool)

Jean Claude Van Damme's speech thing in JCVD was pretty amazing.

Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

Good choices all but I will have to pick Marlon Brando's monologue in Apocalypse Now. That whole monologue pretty much gives full insight to why Kurtz did what he did and why he doesn't blame what Sheen's character will be doing as a response. The fact that Brando was almost sleepwalking his way through that scene just showed just how great an actor he really was.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Al Pacino, devil'd advocate.

David Caradine Kill bill 2

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

The one from Frost Nixon and the one from A Few Good Men

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
The "Do you feel lucky punk?" part from Dirty Harry. All of R. Lee Ermey's monologues from Full Metal Jacket.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105

Also the one from Bruce Almighty when he was on the Maid of the Mist

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Fight Club :P
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Film guy already knows what I'm going to say....

The Fly.

Every single monologue in that movie. From Brundle's monologue about how his girlfriend is afraid of The Flesh, to Brundle's monologue about insect politicts in which he explains that he only dreamed that he was a man, but now the insect is awake.

****ING AMAZING.

A nice runner up is Boromir's monologue from The Fellowship of the Ring. I've always been sort of troubled about how Boromir got painted as the bad guy in the series. I was even more troubled when the writers of the movie had Sam tell Faramir that Boromir died because he tried to take the ring. That was an utter BS move that was added to the movies for no good reason. It's a load of ****. And throughout those movies, Boromir got ****ed over by the writers. When the Long-Ass version of The Two Towers was released, they completely made up a scene which pretty much explicitly stated that Boromir was a ****ing spy all along, and only joined the Fellowship with the intent of stealing the ring.

And that **** was NEVER in the books. So **** the filmmakers for trying to make Boromir out to be the bad guy. He DIDN'T die because he tried to take the ring. That's a load of horse****. He died because he tried to save Merry and Pippin. In the books, he WASN'T a spy who was sent out to steal the ring. He was a very good and heroic man who was corrupted by the ring's power and managed to redeem himself.

However, one thing that the movies did very ****ing well was elaborating on Boromir's death monologue. Where he repents for what he is done, laments for causing the fall of his kingdom, and then dies. Aragorn then sheds tears for the loss of a true hero of Gondor, and the rest of the Fellowship stops to give him a proper hero's funeral. That **** was done AMAZINGLY well, and was a truly classic and sad monologue.

Then they had to **** that up in the very next movie. Oh right. Now that Boromir is DEAD and can't defend himself, it's okay to talk about him as if he were some kind of Snidely Whiplash charachter.

And **** those guys for doing that to Boromir. Boromir was ****ing AWESOME.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

There are many greats, but I need to find one because I have to do a monolgue for my acting class. I like the main one from Trainspotting, The one from The Great dictator, Jaws, the famous one from Network, and George C. Scott's one from Patton.

Film-Guy

what about the one from JCVD?

you linked that once, I thought it was pretty freaking incredible, him showcasing talent no one thought he had

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

Film guy already knows what I'm going to say....

The Fly.

Every single monologue in that movie. From Brundle's monologue about how his girlfriend is afraid of The Flesh, to Brundle's monologue about insect politicts in which he explains that he only dreamed that he was a man, but now the insect is awake.

****ING AMAZING.

A nice runner up is Boromir's monologue from The Fellowship of the Ring. I've always been sort of troubled about how Boromir got painted as the bad guy in the series. I was even more troubled when the writers of the movie had Sam tell Faramir that Boromir died because he tried to take the ring. That was an utter BS move that was added to the movies for no good reason. It's a load of ****. And throughout those movies, Boromir got ****ed over by the writers. When the Long-Ass version of The Two Towers was released, they completely made up a scene which pretty much explicitly stated that Boromir was a ****ing spy all along, and only joined the Fellowship with the intent of stealing the ring.

And that **** was NEVER in the books. So **** the filmmakers for trying to make Boromir out to be the bad guy. He DIDN'T die because he tried to take the ring. That's a load of horse****. He died because he tried to save Merry and Pippin. In the books, he WASN'T a spy who was sent out to steal the ring. He was a very good and heroic man who was corrupted by the ring's power and managed to redeem himself.

However, one thing that the movies did very ****ing well was elaborating on Boromir's death monologue. Where he repents for what he is done, laments for causing the fall of his kingdom, and then dies. Aragorn then sheds tears for the loss of a true hero of Gondor, and the rest of the Fellowship stops to give him a proper hero's funeral. That **** was done AMAZINGLY well, and was a truly classic and sad monologue.

Then they had to **** that up in the very next movie. Oh right. Now that Boromir is DEAD and can't defend himself, it's okay to talk about him as if he were some kind of Snidely Whiplash charachter.

And **** those guys for doing that to Boromir. Boromir was ****ing AWESOME.

MrGeezer

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm sim sim sim...

rrrrrmmm simma simm simmm simmmm

rrrrrrrrrrm rrrrrrrrrrrm rmmmmm SIMMA DOWN uh'NOW!

jk :P

I agree what they did was pretty awful

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105

Film-Guy
If that is the case I suggest you use the Frost Nixon one when they are talking on the phone. It's the most powerful moment in the movie and it hasn't been done to death so it's not a cliche.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
do the inner monologue from the end of american psycho. you wouldnt have to say a thing.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Serraph105
If that is the case I suggest you use the Frost Nixon one when they are talking on the phone. It's the most powerful moment in the movie and it hasn't been done to death so it's not a cliche.

Yeah,that one was really good.The movie rocks.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Film-Guy

Pulp Fiction had a couple great ones, Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting and I like Sly Stallone's in Rocky Balboa when he's telling his son off.

immortality20

I would love to do an impression of Stallone for my monologue, but I think that would just be unintentionally funny. My monologue has to be at least 1 minute. Even though I am a director I am into directing I think this acting class is useful so I can understand how actors work. I think that is an important thing for a director to know.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

mrbojangles25

what about the one from JCVD?

you linked that once, I thought it was pretty freaking incredible, him showcasing talent no one thought he had

That is a good choice, but it is a bit more than a minute I think but I can cut it a bit. I have always liked Van Damme. I always knew he had acting talent. Most so called crappy actors probably do. Well except Steven Seagal:P

akuma_od3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 akuma_od3
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

Film-Guy

There is a fantastic monologue in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, when he is talking about "the high watermark where the wave finally broke and rolled back". Such an amazing piece.

StripTheSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StripTheSoul
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

Opening monologue to A Clockwork Orange

There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

American Psycho is filled with some magnificient ones.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your *******. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Film-Guy

Damn problem with some of these monologues is that they dont work as well out of context. Plus it has to be at least a minute long, though I am sure I could stretch a small monologue so it is a minute. Heck if I did the Trainspotting one I could do a Scottish accent:D

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I absolutely love the one from 12 Angry Men, by the juror who was speaking ill of the defendant and everyone started to walk away. And there is an amazing monologue from an old Clark Gable film Command Decision. God, I love that move.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

V's from V For Vendetta is pretty cool (doesn't exactly tell you anything you wouldn't know by looking at the movie poster, but it sounds cool)

Jean Claude Van Damme's speech thing in JCVD was pretty amazing.

MetroidPrimePwn
It actually tells you a lot when you look closely at it :) I may or may not have memorized all of it because it was so cool.