Best documentary on your favourite topic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

Goethe's Theory of Colours

Colour from a sensory perception point of view. The least scientific or technological one, very atmospheric and philosophical, through experiences worth telling. It's funny how light and darkness were hinted at and picked up by artists with their use of value (black, grey and white) and how Goethe anticipated the opponent process (red versus green, yellow versus blue) through coloured shadows. Documentaries this good are hard to find.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8767 Posts

Since I'm a gamer, I'll go with The King of Kong.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

But I like so many.

The Elegant Universe is probably the one I've recommend most, simply because it does a decent job of explaining some complex ideas.

Loading Video...

Wasn't too fond of the new Cosmos, and the old one with the late great Carl Sagan is a bit dated.

There's a lot of WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Korea, Civil War etc. docs I like as well. Honestly, I'm probably happier today with some of the more explorative Youtube channels like:

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Loading Video...

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Simply because it is the more recent doc I've seen plus it's also free (legit free) on youtube:

With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

Since I'm a gamer, I'll go with The King of Kong.

I was going to go with this. The fact that Billy Mitchell is still trying to defend himself makes that documentary that much more interesting.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Does What We Do In The Shadows count?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I've always been extremely interested in fairness and helping the world change for the better by reducing our suffering in it. I'm not saying that I've accomplished much in that regard, but I keep being drawn to these things in life. And I like seeing things that others are unaware of. And The Red Pill was the best documentary about that sort of thing that I have seen.

I guess all of you must have seen it by now, as well. Since it's been out for a while now. I hope it's popular at schools, where learning to relate to one another is so important. And I probably think it's more special than you do, because I am so deeply invested in that type of subject matter and I know how unlikely it was for a documentary like this to be made and how important it really is for our societies. For me it is probably the most important documentary I've ever seen.

On YouTube // On Google Play

The reason I think it's good as a documentary is because it doesn't tell you what to think so much as it presents to you ideas and views to consider. It has extensive documentation available online, and it's based on something that is severely played down, even outright dismissed all the time. So not only is the subject matter relevant, it's also treated with respect for its gravity as much as a 2 hour documentary can. Documentaries can only ever provide a window to look through but I think The Red Pill manages to do so very well.

Kylbrut351

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Kylbrut351
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts
I like documentaries that are based primarily on astronomy or serial killers.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

not sure it's my favorite topic but the ken burns series on the national parks is fantastic. re-watched it a few times now, usually in preparation for a trip visiting parks.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
Loading Video...

Alone in the Wilderness. This guy was a badass. Really interesting series, and it's impressive that he was not only able to do all of this precise work with basic tools, but he also did a fantastic job of recording everything with his only modern encumbrance, a tripod-mounted camera.

And I've never seen this next one, but I came across it while trying to find some other documentary. It seems....kind of interesting. Kinda want to check it out.

Loading Video...