Best comeback albums?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I like to see an older group come back and still be awesome. Not many do it well though.

1. Paul Simon- Graceland

I grew up with this album.

2. Roky Erickson and Okkervil River- True love cast out all evil

Roky Erickson is a fascinating person. He released some of the weirdest music of the 60's, then just vanished for a while. He still made music, but he had gone through tons of personal problems. It is great to see him back, especially since he made this album with one of the best bands around.

3. Johnny Cash- American Recordings

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts
Eh, don't know. I just like my music that I listen to...
PoisonBagels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PoisonBagels
Member since 2002 • 7825 Posts

Linkin' Park: Meteora

TreebucketLumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TreebucketLumi
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

The Suburbs??

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Eminem-Recovery /thread

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
Death Magnetic by Metallica. So much better then the atrocity that was St. Anger.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Film-Guy

Eminem-Recovery /thread

LostProphetFLCL

I didnt think much of that album. It had some good songs, but Eminem is starting to get a bit monotonous.

TreebucketLumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TreebucketLumi

The Suburbs??

TreebucketLumi

I mean, I dunno. I really didn't like Neon Bible much, but it definitely wasn't, like, a badalbum. Just wasn't anywhere near as good as Funeral.

Anyway, I take this back.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

With_Teeth was a great comeback for Nine Inch Nails after Trent Got Clean

SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
Being an avid Nas fan, Stillmatic comes to mind...
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

lol.. AFI's Sing the Sorrow.. I like that album.. Even though I think they kinda suck over all

Oh and maybe death magnetic. I mean honestly I liked it better than the black album.. which i was never a fan of at all.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Eminem-Recovery /thread

Film-Guy

I didnt think much of that album. It had some good songs, but Eminem is starting to get a bit monotonous.

I think the album is phenomenal. It is also a big change from his older albums which, as great as they were, were definitely the same angry songs over and over for the most part.

He actually branched out with Recovery. His sound changed up a little and I love it. It is strange but he does the mainstream sound SO WELL. As someone who normally can't stand mainstream rap, Recovery just blew me away.

I will say that the songs Cold Wind Blows (BTW one of the best openings to a CD ever I swear), 25 To Life, and Almost Famous are some of his best material.

This cd single handedly proved to me that guitar and piano really need to be used more in rap.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky by Swans.

PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
I enjoyed Hole's Nobody's Daughter, but I think I was the only one who did :P
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Californication: Red Hot Chili Peppers

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

With_Teeth was a great comeback for Nine Inch Nails after Trent Got Clean

ps3wizard45
was about to say the same thing :D
bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

Hold on wait what? Roky Ericson did an album with Okkervil River? I'm not a fan of the lead singer's voice but OR makes nice music. I have to hear this!

King_Creole_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 King_Creole_35
Member since 2007 • 5457 Posts
From Elvis in Memphis - Elvis Presley Steel Wheels - The Rolling Stones The Rising - Bruce Springsteen
Boostinsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Boostinsane
Member since 2003 • 3425 Posts

Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine

/thread

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

The Suburbs??

TreebucketLumi

I mean, I dunno. I really didn't like Neon Bible much, but it definitely wasn't, like, a badalbum. Just wasn't anywhere near as good as Funeral.

I was about to say, how is The Suburbs a come back album? But you took it back.. And btw, i think that Neon Bible is a better album than Funeral. I think Funeral is just more "happy" and "fairy-tail like" making the album seem more accessible. Though the song writing on all three albums are leagues ahead of many artist this generation.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mexicangordo

Comeback album? Third easily takes the cake. For a band that hasn't made an album for over ten years, and put out something as gripping as Third, say's a tone about their talent. Beth Gibbons is one amazing singer.

Portishead-Third

Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

Comeback album? Third easily takes the cake. For a band that hasn't made an album for over ten years, and put out something as gripping as Third, say's a tone about their talent. Beth Gibbons is one amazing singer.

Portishead-Third

mexicangordo

Even though i don't really think of it as a comback album, It's still a absolutely fantastic record (imo the greatest album of the decade)

As for comeback album, I'm gonna go with "With teeth".

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

The Suburbs??

mexicangordo

I was about to say, how is The Suburbs a come back album? But you took it back.. And btw, i think that Neon Bible is a better album than Funeral. I think Funeral is just more "happy" and "fairy-tail like" making the album seem more accessible. Though the song writing on all three albums are leagues ahead of many artist this generation.

You're the first person who has said that Neon Bible is better than Funeral. I'm glad somebody agrees with me. It is much darker, but I think it is more consistant. I love that song Intervention. I dont love The Suburbs though. It's a good album, but it's definitely their weakest. I can think of tons of better albums this year.

TreebucketLumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TreebucketLumi

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

The Suburbs??

mexicangordo

I can only think of two or three songs off the top of my head that I really enjoyed off of Neon Bible. My Body Is A Cage is probably my favorite off of it.

But I basically loved absolutely everything off of Funeral. For me, Neon Bible just cannot compare, which is why I was at first inclined to say The Suburbs was a "comeback."

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

Film-Guy

You're the first person who has said that Neon Bible is better than Funeral. I'm glad somebody agrees with me. It is much darker, but I think it is more consistant. I love that song Intervention. I dont love The Suburbs though. It's a good album, but it's definitely their weakest. I can think of tons of better albums this year.

Well to be fair, i think both albums are very constistant, thats honestly Arcade Fire's strongest musical aspect. They know how to tie and weave their songs and image with the concept's of their albums, much like a well written essay.

I absolutely love Neon Bible, it is such a dark album that depicts our generation so well but never bashes you over the head with it. Intervention, No Cars go, Neon Bible...So many good songs

I love Suburbs. It is on the dull side and theirs not "instant sugar" or relief but the album is really strong. I think what kind of wen't wrong with suburbs is that, they took the album to seriously. Also they really wanted to say "F- U" to hipsters. ha ha :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Portishead-Third

Jesus_on_fire

Even though i don't really think of it as a comback album, It's still a absolutely fantastic record (imo the greatest album of the decade)

As for comeback album, I'm gonna go with "With teeth".

Well i can understand why you wouldnt think its a comeback album but whoa, you are one of the first people to agree with me in saying its one of the decades best. Easily one of my top 10 favorites of the decade, its such a strong album.

I really did not enjoy "With Teeth" though "Ghost" was a very nice treat.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] I was about to say, how is The Suburbs a come back album? But you took it back.. And btw, i think that Neon Bible is a better album than Funeral. I think Funeral is just more "happy" and "fairy-tail like" making the album seem more accessible. Though the song writing on all three albums are leagues ahead of many artist this generation.

mexicangordo

Well to be fair, i think both albums are very constistant, thats honestly Arcade Fire's strongest musical aspect. They know how to tie and weave their songs and image with the concept's of their albums, much like a well written essay.

I absolutely love Neon Bible, it is such a dark album that depicts our generation so well but never bashes you over the head with it. Intervention, No Cars go, Neon Bible...So many good songs

I love Suburbs. It is on the dull side and theirs not "instant sugar" or relief but the album is really strong. I think what kind of wen't wrong with suburbs is that, they took the album to seriously. Also they really wanted to say "F- U" to hipsters. ha ha :P

There are some songs on The Suburbs that I love, but it gets a bit lost in the crowd this year. I'm sure we have had this conversation before, but I adore that band The National. Their recent album High Violet is the best of 2010 by far.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

There are some songs on The Suburbs that I love, but it gets a bit lost in the crowd this year. I'm sure we have had this conversation before, but I adore that band The National. Their recent album High Violet is the best of 2010 by far.

Yea we did, I like The National too, they are kinda like AF in a lot of ways, but I enjoy Band of Horses more, or even Stars when it comes to the bands that sound similar.

I really just enjoyed The Suburbs, especially Modern Man, Rococo, Sprawl 2, City with no Children1/2 and a few others stood out. But I can easily see it get lost by many of this years greats. Though its still one of my personal favorites. :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

TreebucketLumi

I can only think of two or three songs off the top of my head that I really enjoyed off of Neon Bible. My Body Is A Cage is probably my favorite off of it.

But I basically loved absolutely everything off of Funeral. For me, Neon Bible just cannot compare, which is why I was at first inclined to say The Suburbs was a "comeback."

Im surprised you like The Suburbs then. :P

Its darker and a lot more blunt than Neon Bible was. It almost has a mocking nature to it now that i think about it.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Well to be fair, i think both albums are very constistant, thats honestly Arcade Fire's strongest musical aspect. They know how to tie and weave their songs and image with the concept's of their albums, much like a well written essay.

mexicangordo

Yea we did, I like The National too, they are kinda like AF in a lot of ways, but I enjoy Band of Horses more, or even Stars when it comes to the bands that sound similar.

I really just enjoyed The Suburbs, especially Modern Man, Rococo, Sprawl 2, City with no Children1/2 and a few others stood out. But I can easily see it get lost by many of this years greats. Though its still one of my personal favorites. :P

We really need to stop liking the same bands, it's making me look less cool. I love Band of horses, though their last album was a bit inconsistant. Do you like Sparklehorse, and The Grand Archives? Stars are great too, but again their last album The Five Ghosts was a bit underwhelming. My favorite album of theirs is In Our Bedroom after the war. That song Barricade is brilliant. They are a bit more over the top than The National though.

TreebucketLumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TreebucketLumi

[QUOTE="TreebucketLumi"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] I was about to say, how is The Suburbs a come back album? But you took it back.. And btw, i think that Neon Bible is a better album than Funeral. I think Funeral is just more "happy" and "fairy-tail like" making the album seem more accessible. Though the song writing on all three albums are leagues ahead of many artist this generation.

mexicangordo

Im surprised you like The Suburbs then. :P

Its darker and a lot more blunt than Neon Bible was. It almost has a mocking nature to it now that i think about it.

Are you kidding? I love mocking white people/white privilege. One of my hobbies :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

We really need to stop liking the same bands, it's making me look less cool. I love Band of horses, though their last album was a bit inconsistant. Do you like Sparklehorse, and The Grand Archives? Stars are great too, but again their last album The Five Ghosts was a bit underwhelming. My favorite album of theirs is In Our Bedroom after the war. That song Barricade is brilliant. They are a bit more over the top than The National though.

I know what you mean... Every time you have a music thread, you steal all my thunder and post the same bands I was going post. Its not fun :P

I love Sparklehorse, and The Grand Archives, and totally agree with Stars "5 Ghosts" was good, just not as impressive as their early EP work. My favorite Band of Horses album is Our Bedroom after the war as well, but thas just about everyones favorite. Its a very good album, and surprisingly went under the radar even by indie standards. I really wished they toured more, but they never pass by these parts. Its very lame indeed.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
U2 had a great comeback album
Avatar image for SuperSaiyanLink
SuperSaiyanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SuperSaiyanLink
Member since 2003 • 19542 Posts

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Eminem-Recovery /thread

LostProphetFLCL

I think the album is phenomenal. It is also a big change from his older albums which, as great as they were, were definitely the same angry songs over and over for the most part.

He actually branched out with Recovery. His sound changed up a little and I love it. It is strange but he does the mainstream sound SO WELL. As someone who normally can't stand mainstream rap, Recovery just blew me away.

I will say that the songs Cold Wind Blows (BTW one of the best openings to a CD ever I swear), 25 To Life, and Almost Famous are some of his best material.

This cd single handedly proved to me that guitar and piano really need to be used more in rap.

Huh? Most of Recovery is angry for the sake of being angry. Lyrically it isn't very angry compared his masterpieces but the shout rap gets old after the 16th straight track. Em's delivery has eroded from being witty, comedic, and passionate to just loud and annoying.

Avatar image for SuperSaiyanLink
SuperSaiyanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SuperSaiyanLink
Member since 2003 • 19542 Posts

Being an avid Nas fan, Stillmatic comes to mind...SmittyPeppers
First thing to come to my mind as well.

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ Creed - Full Cricle. Haters gonna hate. This album was much better than Weathered. ▲

CreepingDeath_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CreepingDeath_
Member since 2007 • 3342 Posts
I really liked Alice In Chains' Black Gives Way To Blue.