Best and Worst movie of 2021 you have seen?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 20539 Posts

Hello friends

so in this we discuss what are the best and what are the worst movie we have seen this year. I have yet to watch spiderman so cant comment on that.

beisde heres the best movie this year for me

Nobody: Incredible movie, John wick inspired, excellent action scenes and story also pretty good. the bus fight in this movie put shang chi bus fight to shame.

Wrath of Man: This is easily movie of the year. movie is full of twist and turn. its action is not as good as nobody but its pacing and plot is far more interesting and also have clint eastwood son as villain is just incredible.

and now for worst

• Venom 2 - MCU trash, way worse than original also
  • The last blade - trailer show its gladiator successor. turn out terrible mediaval rape melodrama. trash movie.
  • Shang chi - another MCU trash that is also disgrace to asian kung fu masterpieces like ipman and Enter the dragon
  • Matrix Ressurection - Disgrace to Matrix. it made Matrix sequel good that were never good. compare to first one its bad parody of original and having morpheus as cosplay.
  • Dune - Put me to sleep. boring movie. when it get interesting it ended. 2 and half hour prologue nonsense.
  • Mortal Kombat - MK1995 was best video game to movie adoption. lets make it bad again. bad bad bad.

so many shitty movies released this year. what the hell? just only 2 good movies whole year?

anyways so what are best and worst movie of this year for you?

lets discuss

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 5894 Posts

I got lots of catching up to do because there's so many that came out in the last few months that I haven't had an easy time to watch due to Covid.

Movies I need to see but haven't gotten around to yet: The Green Knight, Last Night in Soho, The French Dispatch, Pig, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley, C'mon C'mon, Spider-Man: No Way Home, among others.

It doesn't really feel right for me to devise such a defining list at this point in time with so much catching up to do, but I'll give a little something and list which ones have been winners and losers so far in my book.

I think 2021 has been a winning year for animation, and it's going to be pretty competitive this year under that category.

The Mitchells vs. the Machines. I can't stress enough this one deserves to be watched and I feel like it's slipped under many people's radars. It's on Netflix, and the same studio that brought us Into the Spider-Verse did this one. Very similar art style.

Encanto is a winning Disney musical, and perhaps the best Disney animation since Moana. I've watched this one twice already and there's just so many layers and nuance to the story and theming. While there's a large cast of characters to keep track of, most all of them have their satisfied character arcs that all stick the landing to the main message of the film.

Luca. Luca was a subtle and sweet effort by Pixar, which was wholly refreshing and welcome. It's a bit of a coming out the closet story, which is a theme that can apply to more than just a few groups. It goes with no surprise how Luca has been embraced as an LGBT film.

Now for some live-action.

A Quiet Place: Part II. Very satisfied with this sequel that ends on a sort of cliffhanger the same way the first movie ended, leaving me pumped for the inevitable Part III.

Contrary to your disdain for the MCU, I thought Shang-Chi was a surprisingly great entry in the series and a satisfying origin story, which becomes ever-challenging the more comic book movies that come out and origin stories become a continually drab practice. Shang-Chi got carried away with the CGI in the final act; but hey, it was still fun.

Truth is: I haven't seen enough live-action this year that I even liked.

Live-action I "liked enough" but you won't be seeing on my list:

Dune

The Suicide Squad

There's nothing wrong with either of these movies, other than feeling like aggressively try-hard movies by directors that try really hard to be edgy.

Alright, I do have a couple definitively shit movies that must be mentioned:

Zack Synder's Army of the Dead. I will never understand the appeal or Fandom of a Zack Snyder flick, I am sorry to you fans out there. He's just a slightly better Michael Bay kind of director, which isn't much of a merit. Snyder loves music as he litters his films with awkwardly placed tracks, pretty horrible at the needledrop.

We have a winner for worst film of 2021, and the worst was saved for last: The Matrix Resurrections. Like where to even begin with this trash? And then there's some defenders of this movie pompously saying those that didn't like it just didn't understand. Oh-ho-ho, I understood Matrix Resurrections alright, and I have some insider knowledge because I got friends in this industry. I understood perfectly well what was going on, yet it is still no excuse to make such a tortuous movie for audiences to put up with.

Matrix Resurrections is the winner of most terrible film of the year, and being a pretentious apologist for it ain't gonna save it from being a piece of shit abomination.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6698 Posts

Like every year, there are a lot of critically acclaimed films of this year that I haven't seen yet. Best I've seen so far is Last Night at Soho. Not the best Edgar Wright film, but probably his most ambitious.

For all the hype and praise, I thought Dune was a disappointment. Beautifully made, but I found the story and characters boring.

I can't remember the worst I've seen this year, but The Matrix Resurrections may be up (down) there. Intriguing opening that was then ruined by excessive exposition and action sequences that aren't in the same level as those from the original trilogy.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 766 Posts

I barely watched anything but I was quite disappointed in Venom 2 - even with lowish expectations.

I enjoyed the 1st one even if it wasn't anything special.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16799 Posts

I havent seen many movies this year. But from what i have seen.

Best for me though would be Dune. Just a visual and audio treat. A pleasure to watch. Don't look up on netflix was also a nice surprise. Its like a long episode of Black Mirror :P.

Worst is Bond. A very poor bond movie. A shame to see Daniel Craigs tenure end on such a low note.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 50298 Posts
@osan0 said:

Worst is Bond. A very poor bond movie. A shame to see Daniel Craigs tenure end on such a low note.

Agree with this. Did not like this film at all, even less on second viewing.

Problem with Craigs era, and particularly in this movie, it's just miserable.

Less Bond and more just some dude getting perpetually tortured mentally.

The ending didn't feel heroic at all.

Only part kind of enjoyed was Ana de Armas as she actually had like, abit of joy about her.

Just so f'ing miserable tonally.

Only pass I give is Skyfall because it's used well.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 18160 Posts

I liked Aretha, 8-Bit Christmas, Dune, and the Spiderman

The worst has to be Don't Look Up. I didn't even want to finish it and broke out a plot summary to see if I should even bother, and nope. I caught bits of the rest of the movie and it kept right on sucking. That part at the end, still didn't feel like any kind of payoff. 👎 Waste of time

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 52935 Posts

Suicide Squad off the top of my head was entertaining. And surprisingly good, too; good writing, decent acting, and I liked how they gave a lot of attention to each character.

Umm....hmm....didn't really watch a lot of movies, just a lot of TV/series. I binged Bosch, that's a really good show. I don't even like cop dramas too much and I loved it.

@girlusocrazy said:

I liked Aretha, 8-Bit Christmas, Dune, and the Spiderman

The worst has to be Don't Look Up. I didn't even want to finish it and broke out a plot summary to see if I should even bother, and nope. I caught bits of the rest of the movie and it kept right on sucking. That part at the end, still didn't feel like any kind of payoff. 👎 Waste of time

I literally just watched the end (which was gratifying. Giant Comet 2022!) but after reading the summary and seeing a few scenes, it just looks like the exact kind of movie we don't need right now.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 18160 Posts

@mrbojangles25: it was too ham fisted and obvious for me, I didn't feel entertained

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 52935 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@mrbojangles25: it was too ham fisted and obvious for me

Yeah. They literally had the corporation names on the cryopods at the end as if to say "Hey idiots, we know you're too stupid to get this, but only the rich capitalists will be able to afford to get off planet before a catastrophe hits. That's why we put their company names on their cryopods and not their actual names."

Hollywood elitism at its worst.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 175712 Posts

Bad

The Suicide Squad. Much like GoG2 I am bored with Gunn.

Shi Chi. Relied too too much on CGI.

Bond. Didn't like the ending at all. Ruins the entire basis of the franchise.

Decent

Dune. I enjoyed the movie. Much better than the 1984 version.

Snyder's JL. I really liked this version much better.

Still behind in some movies though like Spider-Man. Seeing it Monday. Haven't seen Venom 2 or Eternals.

Disappointment

No enough War Movies.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6559 Posts

The good was Ghostbusters. The bad? Anything with Steven Seagal straight to video.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 175712 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

The good was Ghostbusters. The bad? Anything with Steven Seagal straight to video.

He's still pedaling his garbage?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 897 Posts

I watched about 410 movies last year, but only five of them were from 2021.

Nothing outstanding and nothing truly bad.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 897 Posts

Madame X was definitely the worst one, though.

On the left is Madame X. On the right is the MDNA tour. Lol. Apparently, the crowd wasn't enthusiastic enough for Madonna.

It's okay. Average. About what I expected after watching MDNA. I mostly blame the rapid fire editing (shots again changing every second or two, sometimes out of chronology, partly due to blending two different shows together) and Madame X not being that good of an album. The production on that album just didn't excite me, overall. This movie presents those songs well enough.

Seeing Vogue, Human Nature and Like a Prayer live doesn't do much for me at this point, after so many tours.

Also, pathetic that Mylene Farmer was able to release her 2019 concert in UHD with Atmos on disc that same year while Madonna took two years and extensive edits to release her concert to Paramount+. Far better editing on Farmer's concert too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 50439 Posts

The best, best movies of 2021: (Not in this order)

1. Shang-Chi
  2. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  3. Godzilla vs. King Kong
  4. Justice League: Snyder Cut
  5. The Forever Purge
  6. Freeguy
  7. Dune
  8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
  9. A Quiet Place: Part 2
  10. Army of the Dead
  11. Pig
  12. Nightmare Alley
  13. The Suicide Squad
  14. Wrath of Man
  15. House of Gucci
  16. Candyman
  17. Old
  18. The Harder They Fall
  19. Jungle Cruise

The worst WORST movies of 2021: (Again not in this order)

1. Space Jam: New Legacy
  2. Tom & Jerry
  3. Venom: Let their Be Carnage
  4. No Time to Die
  5. F9
  6. Raya and the Last Dragon
  7. Wonder Woman 1984 (I watch it early January 2021 through HBO Max despite it released December 25th 2020)
  8. Cruella
  9. The Last Duel
  10. Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City (by far the worst RE movie to date!)
  11. Mortal Kombat 2021 (The only character I like in it was Kabal)
  12. The Eternals
  13. Licorice Pizza
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6559 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Solaryellow said:

He's still pedaling his garbage?

Straight up comedy.

Sammy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sammy00
Member since 2022 • 5 Posts

My best: 12 Angry Orphans. My worst: Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Out of the big budget flicks I've seen...

Best - Spiderman No Way Home

Worst - Jungle Cruise

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 41443 Posts

The disappointing, two A24 releases, Lamb and Saint Maud. The good, Dune, Matrix, and Ghostbusters, and Candyman. Though with Dune I am sadly disappointed the second film didn't even get the green light until after its release.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 21594 Posts

I liked just about all the ones I watched this year well enough to not regret watching them. The lone exception was Space Jam which made the cardinal sin of repeatedly breaking it's own rules to the point that it didn't make sense and it lost all sense of conflict. The first one had that deus ex machina, but the entirety of the third act can't be made up of them.

I think Freeguy may have been my favorite, but that's not saying a great deal - I haven't seen anything Earth shattering this year.

@jaydan:

I liked The Mitchell's Vs The Machines well enough in that it was kind of cute, but I definitely didn't have as strong of a reaction as you did and I feel like I missed something. What made this one special in your mind?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 5894 Posts

@mattbbpl: The relationship the main character has with her father rings shockingly close with the relationship I've had with my own dad growing up.

I was the kid who was always into the arts and eventually realized I could pursue a career in such fields and put my abilities to use. My dad was always the kind of guy that, while he meant well, his overall cynicism and doubt in me would always take the center concern. "Yeah you have talent but is that really going to pay the bills?.. why don't you try something more practical?" The general condescending notions people generally lay down on the creative types that crush a lot of hopes and dreams.

For a long time I resented my dad as a result and we've had difference in goals and life philosophies. We both always struggled to understand each other; he was always the meat and potatoes guy, whereas I'm always looking for something new and exciting.

I too was excited to leave and butt out his naysaying, decided to go to school pursuing what I want to do, and now I work in fields much, much closer to my dream job, proving my dad wrong, and slowly have had him come around and believe actually yeah, I can do what I've always been passionate for. He's still a rigid guy but our relationship had been tumultuous over the years for the very reasons the main character goes through in the movie.

Beyond the striking resemblances to my own personal life, The Mitchells vs. The Machines oozes with style and personality. It has a great flow and is engaging all the way through. I like a fun road movie and the post-apocalyptic edge where technology gets payback on humanity's disregard for abusing tech was quite fun and entertaining.

It was overall an animated feature that was relatable, but also very entertaining with a style that hasn't been run into he ground where every other computer animation has a pretty reminiscent look off one another.

I loved Encanto and Luca, but The Mitchells vs. The Machines was something fresh to me.

I know Encanto will likely take home the animation awards this year, which is perfectly fine because that one is lovely too, but I gotta give a shout out to the underdog animated feature on Netflix that shockingly, a lot of people are still sleeping on. It's a hidden gem on Netflix that really deserves recognition.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35543 Posts

Liked Shang chi liked ghost busters

emmajasmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emmajasmine
Member since 2022 • 1 Posts

The best movie of 2021 is Spiderman. I liked a lot because of graphic and scenes and most liked the music.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dave123321: Shang Chi was really good, way better then the first trailer I had seen for it lead me to believe.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 8589 Posts
@davillain said:

The best, best movies of 2021: (Not in this order)

1. Shang-Chi
  2. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  3. Godzilla vs. King Kong
  4. Justice League: Snyder Cut
  5. The Forever Purge
  6. Freeguy
  7. Dune
  8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
  9. A Quiet Place: Part 2
  10. Army of the Dead
  11. Pig
  12. Nightmare Alley
  13. The Suicide Squad
  14. Wrath of Man
  15. House of Gucci
  16. Candyman
  17. Old
  18. The Harder They Fall
  19. Jungle Cruise

The worst WORST movies of 2021: (Again not in this order)

1. Space Jam: New Legacy
  2. Tom & Jerry
  3. Venom: Let their Be Carnage
  4. No Time to Die
  5. F9
  6. Raya and the Last Dragon
  7. Wonder Woman 1984 (I watch it early January 2021 through HBO Max despite it released December 25th 2020)
  8. Cruella
  9. The Last Duel
  10. Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City (by far the worst RE movie to date!)
  11. Mortal Kombat 2021 (The only character I like in it was Kabal)
  12. The Eternals
  13. Licorice Pizza

It's really a shame that both movies sucked I had high hopes from the trailers and previews that it seemed promising. RE movie was so bad I couldn't even finish it. And the new MK was dull and had bad casting the 1995 movie will probably never be topped it came out at the perfect time in the 90's where it fit right in.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 37706 Posts

i saw very few new movies in '21

worst: spencer or ww '84

best: tough to even recall many good movies i saw. encanto maybe. my kids love it so i've seen it like 10 times and they're always listening to the music.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 13903 Posts

Dune listed as the worst? I knew your opinions in games were bad, but my god.