Best ACTING performance in a Marvel or DC film or series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Does Heath Ledger's Joker pretty much take the cake?

as for worst, B&R has multiple entrants...but what about Jessie Eisenberg's Lex, or the main 4 of FF 2015, or Ben Afleck's DD.. there's a lot to consider for worst, yet for best, i think you got to give it to Heath

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Jesse Eisenbergs's Lex is probably the worst acting I've ever seen.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@multiplat said:

Does Heath Ledger's Joker pretty much take the cake?

as for worst, B&R has multiple entrants...but what about Jessie Eisenberg's Lex, or the main 4 of FF 2015, or Ben Afleck's DD.. there's a lot to consider for worst, yet for best, i think you got to give it to Heath

See, I've always had a hard time choosing stuff like "best acting performance". Because "best" is conditional on the needs of the role. So while someone who plays a character like the Joker needs to make a big impression with the audience, a lot of characters in a movie aren't supposed to be making a big impression. If they're making as much of an impression as Heath Ledger's Joker, then that means that they're acting POORLY. Otherwise, you'd just end end up with a situation in which all of the actors are trying to ham it up as much as possible in order to get noticed, and that would ruin movies. In a lot of cases, the best performance an actor could possibly give is one that nobody notices and audiences don't care about.

Having said that, I think that Heath Ledger did a great job. And I'm not saying he ISN'T the best performance so far in one of those films. What I am saying is that it's really easy to be artificially predisposed to his performance since HIS CHARACTER was written to demand screen presence. While I agree that he did a great job, that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best. It's probably also partly due to him just playing a character that was intended to be memorable.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By multiplat

@MrGeezer said:
In a lot of cases, the best performance an actor could possibly give is one that nobody notices and audiences don't care about.

An example of this would be Cobie Smulders as SHIELD Agent Maria Hill, .... poor girl prob gets name discrimination, ,... i mean with a name like Cobie Smulders, what a mismatch to her overall hotness. .. .which i def did notice

BTW Lex Luthor is supposed to be memorable just like Joker.... we all know what happened with that disaster

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Marvel - Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War

DC - Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By multiplat

@Jag85 said:

Good pick...it is strategic for casting to put him next to Michael B Jordan in next month's film, so he shines even brighter by comparison

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

I thought he was great.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Some of these are as much casting choices and writing/directing choices as much as poor acting:

-Ledger's Joker has to be up there towards the top.

-RDJ's Tony Stark/Ironman was SPOT ON. Ironman pretty much launched us into what the recent Superhero movie genre has become.

-Bale's Batman was good.

WORST:

-Leto's Joker is pure garbage.

-Eisenburg's Lex was too much of a hybrid Lex and Joker and Eisenburg was a TERRIBLE casting choice, especially up against a 45 year old Batfleck and receding hairline Superman.

-Affleck's Daredevil was awful. Although he surprised me with a good Batman performance in BvS. I thought his performance in Justice League slipped a bit.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 multiplat

@todddow said:

WORST:

-Eisenburg's Lex was too much of a hybrid Lex and Joker and Eisenburg was a TERRIBLE casting choice, especially up against a 45 year old Batfleck and receding hairline Superman.

-Affleck's Daredevil was awful.

This. Just terrible awful horrid, even David Hasselhoff's Nick Fury (available on youtube), puts Eisenberg and Affleck to shame.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Maybe it's because I just saw it, but I thought the kid playing Spiderman in the more recent films ("Homecoming") did a really great job. Really nailed the cocky New York kid kind of thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@Jag85 said:

DC - Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight

Yeah he was good as black panther and has me looking forward to the movie. Great casting choice.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 multiplat

@mrbojangles25: Tom Holland, he is pretty good....he is a british guy, so even more impressive to nail the new york vibe.... hearing him talk in real life, you almost get the same shock when you first hear Rick Grimes - Andrew Lincoln talk in real life.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I feel that Tom Hiddleston smashed the Loki role -- completely exceeded my expectations.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

I feel that Tom Hiddleston smashed the Loki role -- completely exceeded my expectations.

He did amazing in that role, however, in terms of Marvel, I think the best acted villain we have ever gotten was Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fisk in the Daredevil Netflix series- truly epic. On the DC side of things, I would say Ledger's portrayal of Joker was legendary, but Nicholson's portrayal was also exceptional and was a lot closer to the source material than Ledger's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

David Tenant as Killgraive.

My favorite doctor becoming a freaking psycho.