Before The Last Jedi releases, do you like where Disney has taken Star Wars so far?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

While some may have issues with The Force Awaken, I personally love it! I liked TFA when I first saw it because I did enjoy the new characters and the duo of Rey & Finn. They've gone the safe route, which I'm fine with, Disney was playing it safe with TFA. They sure didn't know what the general Star Wars fans wanted, not using too much CGI was the best thing, particle effects really drove me into the new Stsr Wars era. They need to repair the damage that the prequels did and I never hated the prequels, they were a hit & miss for me. Rogue One was also a risk I think was good in a way.

You think Disney did a better job then George Locus with the Star Wars franchise wise?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I think there's a big difference between playing it safe and remaking a movie with different characters; I think I actually enjoyed the prequels more...but TFA aside, I enjoyed Rogue One and the animation series are quite interesting as well. I am looking forward to the new movie, but if they end up remaking Empire Strikes Back then I'll just give up on the main movies and will stick to the spin-offs.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

I hated TFA. Rogue One was good. Not hyped for VIII but I'll still probably see it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

TFA was pretty much an introduction to the new gen of Star Wars movies so there wasn't much to determine Disney's overall direction with the franchise. A lot will depend on The Last Jedi. At the moment I'm skeptical whether the upcoming movies will achieve the same weight of the original trilogy or even the prequels in that they focused closely on the Skywalker saga and gave us such iconic characters as Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Obi Wan, Yoda, etc. I wonder if Rey, Fin and Kylo Ren will be able to live up to that legacy and earn their place among these SW icons. Or if the new movies are going to end up as simply fun movies to feed the audience's nostalgia and Disney's earnings.

And while stand alone movies like Rogue One are a welcome addition to the franchise, I'm worried that they'll milk every single opportunity on making a character origin movie even if it's not warranted. I mean, do we really need a Han Solo movie? Especially since the new Solo actor is not that younger than Harrison Ford was at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

TFA was good for what it was. Rogue One was terrible. I have no idea why people are saying it's the other way around.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The new ones are not great, Abramms (or whatever his name is) shits on preexisting greatness, look at star trek as well.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

one thing i miss from the prequels no matter how much they are hated is the world building. regardless if they have cgi, I like seeing planets likes like coruscant and naboo which are missing from the newer movies.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

No matter what, disney can never beat The Charm of A NEW HOPE, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and THE LAST JEDI.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@johnd13 said:

TFA was pretty much an introduction to the new gen of Star Wars movies so there wasn't much to determine Disney's overall direction with the franchise. A lot will depend on The Last Jedi. At the moment I'm skeptical whether the upcoming movies will achieve the same weight of the original trilogy or even the prequels in that they focused closely on the Skywalker saga and gave us such iconic characters as Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Obi Wan, Yoda, etc. I wonder if Rey, Fin and Kylo Ren will be able to live up to that legacy and earn their place among these SW icons. Or if the new movies are going to end up as simply fun movies to feed the audience's nostalgia and Disney's earnings.

And while stand alone movies like Rogue One are a welcome addition to the franchise, I'm worried that they'll milk every single opportunity on making a character origin movie even if it's not warranted. I mean, do we really need a Han Solo movie? Especially since the new Solo actor is not that younger than Harrison Ford was at the time.

I totally agree with Han Solo movie, it'll be the first time I'm NOT excited for this new Star Wars movie at all. Han is good & all but I don't see a legit reason why it's being made!

I totally agree TFA was a good way for the next generation, I kinda wish they didn't bring back old characters and just give us newer characters alone. Rey, Kylo Ran & Finn would be nice to carried the torch for this new SW route.

@korvus said:

I think there's a big difference between playing it safe and remaking a movie with different characters; I think I actually enjoyed the prequels more...but TFA aside, I enjoyed Rogue One and the animation series are quite interesting as well. I am looking forward to the new movie, but if they end up remaking Empire Strikes Back then I'll just give up on the main movies and will stick to the spin-offs.

I haven't watch the latest Last Jedi Trailer but few of my friends who have saw it told me there wasn't much similarities to The Empire Strikes Back and yeah, if Disney has gotten a lot of feedbacks from TFA, I can't see them repeating the same thing again. (I hope it's not Empire Strikes Back 2.0)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

After seeing the last two movies and the previews for the upcoming installment, I would have preferred the movies end after Jedi and have the franchise continue in the form of games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

For all it's faults, Lucas tried something new. He ignored everyone and done what he intended to do for good or ill.

Episode III isn't a good movie, but it's a fun one. Watched it a few good times and would happily watch it again when it's on TV.

Watched Force Awakens exactly, once. And Once was enough.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@indzman:

I think you mean Return of the Jedi rather than The Last Jedi

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@AFBrat77 said:

@indzman:

I think you mean Return of the Jedi rather than The Last Jedi

HaHa yeah :P

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AFBrat77

@davillain-:

Rian Johnson is an excellent director so I have high hopes for the last jedi.

Though it's tv he directed Breaking Bads best episode "Ozymandias" , widely considered one of the best hour episodes in TV history! Brick and Looper are on his resume.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i didn't even know there was a star wars movie coming out this year.That's how boring and forgettable ep7 was.

Hell i completely missed rogue too.

when i was younger i was really into star wars(mostly the kickass games) but i guess i just lost interest.Everything just went downhill after KOTOR 2.Battlefront 2 was alright but was i never into MP.

Republic commando was the last good star wars game.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I even saw the originals at the movies back in the early 80's when I was young and I still never could get into Star Wars. My wife's a fan so I've seen all of them but I think they all sucked. Some nice CGI work but the stories are utterly retarded. For example..why is there a map for Luke Skywalker?...like who the hell wants to go and hide but make a map, then split it up and make it all like it's a treasure map? WTF? ...it's stupid! Also how can you explode the Death Star like that and still have a melted version of Darth Vadar's mask? it's in a scene with that Ken wannabe guy as if he's worshipping it...how did he find it in space?....that's a tough mask to survive that explosion. I could go on and on as it seems every single scene since the originals has at least one really stupid thing going on and the dialogue between characters is often rather ..not sure what the word for it is, not convincing I guess.

There are just way too many stupid things going on in all those movies and doesn't seem to change now that Disney owns it other than better CGI and some of the dialogue isn't as cheesy as Lucas's. I noticed it also appears Disney has thrown in some modern day politics into it, it's as if the Empire is conservatives and the Jedi are liberals, like wow really? How petty.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, these movies are better than the prequels as well, bring on The Last Jedi!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

The first hard truth of Star Wars is that it's mainly for kids and original trilogy was not some great masterpiece unless you were a ten year old in the eighties.

And now that all there is is the George Lucas tinkered with versions...well.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AFBrat77

@stormcast:

The original trilogy could be appreciated by anyone, it's fun, escapist adventure. Not just for 10 year olds. I would say orIginal trio are classics whether they are considered masterpieces or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@AFBrat77 said:

@stormcast:

The original trilogy could be appreciated by anyone, it's fun, escapist adventure. Not just for 10 year olds. I would say orIginal trio are classics whether they are considered masterpieces or not.

Yes. But it's still mainly for kids. And it shows.

Make no mistake, I'm still fond of it. Especially the prequels.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman

@stormcast said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@stormcast:

How old are you storm?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@stormcast:

How old are you storm?

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

@ShepardCommandr: Nobody thinks you’re cool

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@indzman said:

No matter what, disney can never beat The Charm of A NEW HOPE, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and THE LAST JEDI.

Then again, neither can George Lucas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@LordQuorthon said:
@indzman said:

Then again, neither can George Lucas.

The prequels have their own charm.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 indzman

@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@stormcast:

How old are you storm?

Maybe thats the reason you have no appreciation for OG Star Wars Trilogy as you grew up on the newest movies.We old schools grew up on OG Star Wars Trilogy as you growing up on the newest ones.The Old Star Wars were epic as TFA on those days.

But don't forget George Lucas, OG Star wars started it all even if some scenes were for kids. TFA is nothing but rehash of OG and Rouge One is prequel to OG :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman

@AFBrat77 said:

@stormcast:

Touche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

How old are you storm?

Maybe thats the reason you have no appreciation for OG Star Wars Trilogy as you grew up on the newest movies.

I got the original trilogy on vhs for Christmas in the late 90s. I liked them then, but they're not that great of movies. And I'd say Return of the Jedi is actually pretty embarrassing.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:

How old are you storm?

Maybe thats the reason you have no appreciation for OG Star Wars Trilogy as you grew up on the newest movies.

I got the original trilogy on vhs for Christmas in the late 90s.

Theres still a generation gap as you commenting on OG Star Wars looks kiddish to you.See, Star Wars is for all ages. Does Newest Star Wars got anyone of Darth Vader potential and following theme? That person alone subsitutes for any kind of drawbacks the old movies had.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@stormcast said:

The first hard truth of Star Wars is that it's mainly for kids and original trilogy was not some great masterpiece unless you were a ten year old in the eighties.

That's not even remotely true. They are viewed by many, those who were 10 in the 70s or 80s, or not, as some of the best cinema of all time.

The problem now is that we've go the direction of specific marketing so much that we no longer have a movie category we used to, which is "G". General audience. Today that means kids movie, back in the 70s and 80s, that was everyone. So today when people see a movie that is acceptable for everyone, they really just toss it in the kids category and then assume that everything in the past was that way as well. Back then, they didnt really market or make movies just for children. In fact, because Star Wars was as big as it was among everyone, its really what kicked off the whole franchise marketing to children and it was not really with movies themselves, but with products like toys, posters, lunch boxes, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:
@stormcast said:
@indzman said:

How old are you storm?

I got the original trilogy on vhs for Christmas in the late 90s.

Theres still a generation gap as you commenting on OG Star Wars looks kiddish to you.See, Star Wars is for all ages. Does Newest Star Wars got anyone of Darth Vader potential and following theme? That person alone subsitutes for any kind of drawbacks the old movies had.

I don't know what you mean by generation gap. If it's good art then it should have some level of timelessness to it I think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@kod said:
@stormcast said:

That's not even remotely true. They are viewed by many, those who were 10 in the 70s or 80s, or not, as some of the best cinema of all time.

In my opinion those people are either nostalgic and/or they have terrible taste in movies.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KOD

.... On to Disney and what they've done with SW..... Well, its better than what George Lucas did. But honestly, i dont see a company better equipped to take on the SW franchise.

7 was very good and was what i expected. After the disaster that is the prequel trilogy, they had to play it safe. A lot of PT fans and those who grew up on the PT, don't realize how much that trilogy alienated older fans... the people who kept the SW universe alive for almost 2 decades. But luckily Disney recognized this and they played it safe while still offering something newer and for HC fans, they gave us a version of the expanded universe we loved.

Rogue One was very good, the only flaw i saw with the movie was the character introductions, that would have been done a bit better. But i'd actually put this one right after ANH and right before 7. The PT i don't even consider as SW movies so they get no ranking.

8 i have high hopes for. Rian Johnson is a great director and very creative with his storytelling. I also have a lot of faith in the Star Wars group that Kennedy has assigned to outline the direction the franchise is going. They all seem to know and love Star Wars and understand what it is about.

Now.... what they are doing that i dislike is the Han Solo movie and the Obi-Wan movie. When it comes to Han, im super against recasting him, Harrison Ford is Han Solo, period. And quite honestly, i dont see a story that would not be better told as a novel. I think the anthology movies need to step away from the main story and should be a vessel for expanding the universe instead of shrinking it. Like... i want to see a Bane trilogy, the source material would obviously be the old EU Bane trilogy and that was an amazing series. Id love to see a KOTOR series, not based on the video game or the new comic, but based on tales of the jedi/sith lords/golden age of the sith/etc. That said, i suspect they are only doing these movies because they want to wait for the new trilogy to be over with before they start making anthology movies between 6 and 7.

They've done a fairly good job with the books and comics so far. One issue i took with the old expanded universe was that they filled the timeline between 4 and 5 and 5 and 6 with so much shit, that it was impossible to take seriously. And while they've minimized that, it does feel like they are starting to get there again. But it does also seem like the stories they are telling, have a point and purpose.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KOD

@stormcast said:

In my opinion those people are either nostalgic from their childhood memories of it or they just have terrible taste in movies.

Opinions are only valid if the facts surrounding them are correct, and yours are not.

Not only does history tell you you're wrong (simply go back and watch any documentary on SW made in the 70s or 80s. Theres more adults than children at the theaters and talking about it) but academia tells us you're wrong as well. There's a reason why universities use the OT as teaching tools and examples of the perfect movies (and on the other side of that coin, use the PT as great examples of terrible movies and what not to do) and its not because of nostalgia.

When it comes to SW fans, this is something ive noticed with people who like the PT more than the OT but they then have to face this fact that its mostly nostalgia that gives them these good memories of these horrific movies. So in turn, they say the same thing about the OT and those who appreciate it more than the PT. When they don't understand that we can objectively show why one of those trilogies can be beloved by everyone (and is) and one is a joke that more often than not, makes no sense.

@stormcast said:

I don't know what you mean by generation gap. If it's good art then it should have some level of timelessness to it I think.

Which the OT is draped in, you simply don't want to recognize it.

The gap he is referencing is what i also touched on and is this idea of general audience movies. Its all marketing perception and because of that generational gap, you don't remember when it was something other than.

Given your age, you grew up in a time when kids had everything directed at them. You had 24 hour, 7 days a week cartoon channels and a trillion dollar industry of marketing screaming at you. When the OT came out we had like 3 hours for Saturday morning cartoons and then you were SOL, you had to like what the adults liked and the best case scenario was getting to see a general audience movie.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@kod: While I do agree that a Han Solo movie is unwarranted, I'd be pretty excited for an Obi-Wan movie. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan was one of the best things about the PT (and yes I'm one of those that enjoyed the prequels). Besides, there's plenty of potential stories to tell about his whereabouts between episodes 3 and 4, and Ewan McGregor is at just the right age for that.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KOD

@johnd13 said:

@kod: While I do agree that a Han Solo movie is unwarranted, I'd be pretty excited for an Obi-Wan movie. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan was one of the best things about the PT (and yes I'm one of those that enjoyed the prequels). Besides, there's plenty of potential stories to tell about his whereabouts between episodes 3 and 4, and Ewan McGregor is at just the right age for that.

I can definitely see the Obi Wan movie being more..... capable? i guess......... Acceptable maybe? But i dont think it should happen. We know his whereabouts, he was a hermit on Tatooine for nearly 20 years. His only job during that time was keeping an eye on Luke. There should be nothing noteworthy happening during this time as anything worth a movie, one could very easily say "well why didnt the empire figure out where he was?". I could see a handful of short stories working, but nothing that validates a 2 hour movie. And quite frankly, if you keep up with the comics and novels, those short stories have already happened and are canon.

xBlackErrthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xBlackErrthing
Member since 2017 • 97 Posts

I've enjoyed the new Star wars films quite a bit, as I am a fan of the originals.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

I think TFA was good. Not a classic, but good. I certainly would like if it didn't was a new hope 2.0, but whatever, as long they don't pull this again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@kod said:
@stormcast said:

Which the OT is draped in, you simply don't want to recognize it.

The gap he is referencing is what i also touched on and is this idea of general audience movies. Its all marketing perception and because of that generational gap, you don't remember when it was something other than.

So the OT is draped in timelessness, but you had to have been there when it was new to fully appreciate it? Ok.

Also, "Star Wars is for 12 year olds" - George Lucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@kod said:
@johnd13 said:

I can definitely see the Obi Wan movie being more..... capable? i guess......... Acceptable maybe? But i dont think it should happen. We know his whereabouts, he was a hermit on Tatooine for nearly 20 years. His only job during that time was keeping an eye on Luke. There should be nothing noteworthy happening during this time as anything worth a movie, one could very easily say "well why didnt the empire figure out where he was?". I could see a handful of short stories working, but nothing that validates a 2 hour movie. And quite frankly, if you keep up with the comics and novels, those short stories have already happened and are canon.

I want a medical drama TV series set in the EmPal SurRecon Center.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KOD

@stormcast said:

So the OT is draped in timelessness, but you had to have been there when it was new to fully appreciate it? Ok.

That is you saying this, its you applying this and its demonstrated to not be true. The OT is one of the very few movies that attracts generations of people. Episode 4 came in out 77 and it was HUGE among hippies and at that time and by 77 hippies were past 20. The reason i was exposed to it was because my hippy mother loved it.

@stormcast said:

And Orwell thought Animal Farm and 1984 were failures, whats your point?

George Lucas is not the go to guy for SW, out of everyone who has been involved with making SW movies or novels or comics, he seems to understand it the least. Its why of the 4 movies he has directed, only one was good and that was saved by other people. The cut GL put together was one of the worst films ever made from what is said in documentaries.

I believe when Lucas said this it was during the PT era, when people were pissed off that he was doing such a poor job with the series. And since he does not understand the material or have a clue what he is doing, that was his response. And of course, rather true when you look at how he first went into the PT, by episode 2 it was anything but true. Decapitations, implied rape of the protagonists mother, mass murder, etc. ...not kids stuff but he had no where to go and he's not that bright of a person. This was also the simpleton that decided to wear a "han shot first" tshirt on set. He seems to be very self conscious of the SW movies, that he had next to nothing to do with the best one's, while the one's he did the most with, are generally laughed at by the people who made him a billionaire. So he adopted this "im going to prove them wrong!" mentality that really just harmed the legacy of star wars movies more than anything else.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

Hell yeah I like where Disney has taken it.

The movies are outstanding, much better than we could ever hope for from Lucas. Episode 7 was pretty good, not as great as I was expecting, but it was more or less a re-introduction to the franchise; yes, it had almost the same plot as Episode IV (a bunch of underdogs and an unaware force sensitive take on the empire's super weapon).

Rogue One was just...outstanding. Arguably the best Star Wars movie since Episode IV and V (Empire is still my favorite).

And let's not forget about the other things, too: Star Wars Rebels has been a stunning TV series (though I don't like the animation all that much) who's plot rivals the movies in some respects; the Admiral Thrawn arch is amazing, as he is arguably one of the great non-force using villains in Star Wars lore.

I am sure they plan to do more, I just hope it is of the same caliber. Though "Han Solo" has me worried; they fired the director and hired Ron Howard to finish it up, had to reshoot a bunch of stuff, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@kod said:
@stormcast said:

That is you saying this, its you applying this and its demonstrated to not be true. The OT is one of the very few movies that attracts generations of people. Episode 4 came in out 77 and it was HUGE among hippies and at that time and by 77 hippies were past 20. The reason i was exposed to it was because my hippy mother loved it.

@stormcast said:

That Star Wars is for kids like it's creator said. As to Orwell I can't say I know anything about his intentions so to him those could have been failures.

And nobody is saying you can't be an adult and go to a kids movie. No need to be all super defensive about it.

Same goes to you @indzman I didn't freak out when you didn't like Blade Runner, no need to freak out if I don't like your movies and songs.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Not at all.

TFA was mediocre at best, and Rogue One was just... ugh. It felt so forced and cliche to have all the characters die in the end, just so it could fit into A New Hope's canon. It's not like they were even good characters anyway.

Modern Star Wars (the Disney kind) is, to me, nothing more than a shell of its former self. Also, Disney shut down LucasArts, something that I'm still pissed about today.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19561 Posts

TFA was fine. It was a Star Wars movie that did all of the Star Wars things. It was surprisingly charming, even if they did play it totally safe.

Rogue One was a mess. The concept of a gritty Star Wars war movie is fine, but the characters were all awful. Meh.

I'm excited for The Last Jedi, if only because I love Rian Johnson's previous films (including The Brothers Bloom, which never gets mentioned).

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

@kod: Better than what George Lucas did? What are you smoking? Oh, whatever. It's just your opinion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 indzman

@stormcast said:
@kod said:
@stormcast said:

@stormcast said:

That Star Wars is for kids like it's creator said. As to Orwell I can't say I know anything about his intentions so to him those could have been failures.

And nobody is saying you can't be an adult and go to a kids movie. No need to be all super defensive about it.

Same goes to you @indzman I didn't freak out when you didn't like Blade Runner, no need to freak out if I don't like your movies and songs.

I'm not freaking out, you are freaking out Storm.You called out a greatest Space Trilogy and now everyone's bashing you :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@johnd13 said:

Some spinoff movies could be cool. Like, I wouldn't be opposed to an Obi-Wan spinoff movie. But the Han Solo movie just feels like a bad idea on general concept.

I mean, Han Solo started out as kind of a piece of shit. He's a murderer, be deals with crime lords and SLAVERS like Jabba the Hutt. And when he first appears in the original trilogy, he cares nothing for the cause, all he wants is his f***ing money. Actually a shitty guy overall, but we get to see him grow into the role of hero. A Han Solo prequel movie just rewinds the clock to the days when he was still a piece of shit. And he ends the movie being a piece of shit. Bad concept, that'll just make the character look bad.

The only way to get around that is to neuter the character and have him being some kind of "noble criminal serving a good cause", kind of like a Space Robbin Hood. Smuggling medical supplies to Bespin IV in order to fight the Empire's tyranny, or some shit like that. Which you know is what's going to happen. They're going to retcon things and have him be some kind of NOBLE violent criminal because they don't have the balls to make a movie about someone who's really just a bad dude.

The Han Solo movie in particular seems like a bad idea in concept, and that someone should have realized that it's a bad idea.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

The Force Awakens and Rogue one are good movies and I liked them.

But it's clear Disney went for the big money and maximising profits from it (after all they need to get their 8 billion back)

So like with their EA deal, instead of letting developers pitch games they'd like to make they just went with the one who could make them the most money: EA.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There's a gap in the Star Wars timeline between the time Palpatine became emperor and A New Hope. Even the source books didn't expand too much on it except to mention all non-humans were expelled from the Corellian Sector of the Star Wars universe. Humans were the master race and only they were allowed in the ruling class and to inhabit the core worlds.

That's why in A New Hope, all the non-humans were in the outer fringes such as Tatooine. That timeline could be further developed.

Rogue One wasn't really a prequel because it occurred alongside current events in A New Hope. In the source books, there were lots of things going on besides what the main characters in the movies were doing.

Hans Solo was a naval officer during the intermittent years. Obviously, he would have taken part in forcibly removing non-humans. I can't remember how he got out (or forced out) of the Imperial Navy and became a smuggler. But, I would like to see a Han Solo movie just to tie up the loose ends.