Be honest: fat guys, how did you all get that way?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By GalvatronType_R

Poll Be honest: fat guys, how did you all get that way? (44 votes)

Genetics 9%
Injury (used to be in shape but injury prevents exercise) 7%
Real talk: I'm lazy, unmotivated, and I like to eat fatty foods, sit on my a$$, and not work out 77%

I wonder how this will turn out...

• 
dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1045 Posts

I am "skinny fat" atm. Injury prevents me from doing the exercise I used to do although it is really no excuse.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@thegerg said:

They get that way be taking in more calories than they use. Simple.

Holy crap, I agree with thegerg.

Guys, the apocalypse is coming...

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

@thegerg: That's the scientific explanation. I'm looking for the social explanation which is more complex.

How could someone allow themselves to be that huge and unhealthy? We already know how they go there, I'm looking for the why.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

@thegerg: That's the scientific explanation. I'm looking for the social explanation which is more complex.

How couple someone allow themselves to be that huge and unhealthy? We already know how they go there, I'm looking for the why.

Because food tastes good and exercise kinda blows.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Fat as in out of shape? Well, science will answer that for you. I weight train 5 days a week because looking like crap scares me. Most people on the chubby side probably don't look into a mirror often. I know a few people that are just flat out lazy... that and yolo or whatever.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I gained weight growing up through my family having shitty eating habits and lack of exercise. I eventually weighed 300 pounds and I realized I needed to get healthy. Lost 110 pounds total before I sprained my knee which prevented me from exercising, I injured it more before knowing it was sprained through exercise. Once my knee was almost healed I got into a car accident which left me with pretty bad whiplash to the point I could barely walk for a few months. Gained weight from that and am now getting my diet back on track and exercising more regularly.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts

i find it really funny when skinny people act like they've been doing it right all their life only to get fat later because they really ended up doing nothing to stay in shape and just assumed fat people stuffed their face 24/7 and did absolutely nothing but take shits and sleep

usually happens right about the time they can legally drink, it's all that empty calories and drunken munchies and hormonal changes that come from lack of proper sleep and nutrition

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

My case is really curious. Or maybe not. I let you be the judge.

So I'm pretty overweight for my height. 175 cm and around 90 kgs. Weirdly enough I do not have a huge belly. Most of the fat for better or worse has been stored in my legs.

It all happened with the start of university. Before that I was a pretty active sportsman and a really fit guy too. I did swimming, played soccer, did running, trained at home things like that. But then all of a sudden I stopped doing all of those activities for no apparent reason (I really don't know why I stopped). It wasn't so bad for the first year but from then on it was very noticeable that I'm getting fat (chubby cheeks). I hate cookies and fat but I think I consumed a great amount of rice and bread and that's what made me fat all of a sudden. Lack of scheduled exercising also played a great role.

And here I am still 90 kgs. But I have plans for this summer. To be honest I didn't mind getting fat that much. Sure old clothes don't fit anymore but besides that I getting fat was never something I would freak out about. But what's worse is that in recent months I've noticed that my muscle strength has greatly deteriorated. This really freaked me out and I definitely am going to do something about it this summer God willing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I am lazy.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

people get fat usually because of bad diet and little exercise. It's really really easy to have a bad diet in modern society. I work in an organic grocery store, get free food and still it's hard for me to eat healthy. All it takes is Mcdonald's or junk food once in a while to mess up your body for a long time. The I am lazy I have no energy thing is a symptom of bad diet, problem is it takes hard work and dedication to get any energy. I'm healthy as heck and still it takes effort to have energy, I get why it's hard for people because it's hard for me and I have every advantage. If you drink sodas it pretty much guarantees being overweight, the amount of refined sugar in them is insane and is basically a get fat cocktail. Coca-cola should be called coca-hugegut.

You want to know why fat people got fat? Because society makes it so damn easy, spend 2 bucks a day on the wrong product and you pretty much guarantee being fat. With how competitive job industries are, with how much dedication school and careers take nowadays getting fat isn't a matter of choice for a lot of people it just happens because of the environments they are in and how hard it is to get proper nutrients from the surrounding area. It takes a lot of work to have a proper diet, you have to put effort into preparing meals or spend a whole lot of money for food everyday and in a lot of places we are talking astronomical prices. $100 for an actually nutritious meal where ten bucks gets you a value meal. The why is because the food industry provides food with no nutrients, tons of the wrong kinds of sugars and fats as well as a bunch of synthetic chemicals. Even the grocery store I work in has food that is bad for you when it claims it's good for you, just imagine how bad everything else actually is for you.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I need to lose a few inches around my waist.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

Currently 6'10" 247 lbs, about 10% body fat (I was around the same weight but 2% body fat in my early and mid twenties). I got fat because I never had to do anything to counter act it, and I have a mostly sedentary job. I just got back into running in the last four weeks and have lost a little over five pounds. I use to have about a 5000 caloric daily intake, but cut that in half because the first time I ran up the stairs and felt the giggle I became frightened of what would become of me.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:

Currently 6'10" 247 lbs, about 10% body fat (I was around the same weight but 2% body fat in my early and mid twenties). I got fat because I never had to do anything to counter act it, and I have a mostly sedentary job. I just got back into running in the last four weeks and have lost a little over five pounds. I use to have about a 5000 caloric daily intake, but cut that in half because the first time I ran up the stairs and felt the giggle I became frightened of what would become of me.

At 10% body fat, you have a 6 pack. IFBB pro bodybuilders hit the stage at 2-4% body fat which is unhealthy, unsustainable, and absolutely shredded. You were never 2% and you're definitely not fat if you're 10%

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

On topic: I'm about 20-30 lbs heavier than I'd like to be (6'0", 223lbs). I lift 5 days a week, but don't do a lot of cardio. I eat pretty much whatever I want and have a sedentary job. I don't gain weight, but I don't lose it either. If I got down to around 190, I'd be pretty cut up.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

How could someone allow themselves to be that huge and unhealthy? We already know how they go there, I'm looking for the why.

Why are you so interested?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@bforrester420:

@bforrester420 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

At 10% body fat, you have a 6 pack. IFBB pro bodybuilders hit the stage at 2-4% body fat which is unhealthy, unsustainable, and absolutely shredded. You were never 2% and you're definitely not fat if you're 10%

On topic: I'm about 20-30 lbs heavier than I'd like to be (6'0", 223lbs). I lift 5 days a week, but don't do a lot of cardio. I eat pretty much whatever I want and have a sedentary job. I don't gain weight, but I don't lose it either. If I got down to around 190, I'd be pretty cut up.

Oh I was, and was considered anorexic by my doctors (I heard it from the age of 12), but I couldn't do anything about it; practice and my natural metabolism erased any chance of me gaining weight (or muscle mass).

My definition of fat is for myself, as that is the only comparison that really matters, and currently, I'm fat.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'm about 20lbs heavier than I'd like to be. I'm about 220lbs. 5 foot 11

I'm pretty aactive exercise a lot, can run 5k in less than 30 minutes which is about average.

I just eat way more junk food than I should.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

The food they ate, the food they love.. fastfood and big jug of soda.

Maybe that's how they wanted to be.. they like being big.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I'd imagine they at a lot

PrAzE88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PrAzE88
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

I'm not fat anymore

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

i wouldn't consider myself fat but i've gained about ~5 lbs. after an ankle injury that has prevented my normal exercise activities ( running, soccer )

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I'm was one of those bone skinny kids with a super hero metabolism. So naturally, I wasn't limited by what I eat. Once I started drinking and smoking in my 20s, that all slowed down and next thing I knew, I gained 40Lbs.

I've since lost most of it and quite drinking/smoking but my metabolism was never the same again.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Wow Gerg is really stupid.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I'm disabled but not leg disabled so I look in the mirror everyday. Im chubby but if I get a double chin ill go walk 20 miles. If my belly gets too big ill also walk a ton.

Recently my medication caused me to gain weight. I was 240 (Im 6'4) suddenly I was 290. Through exercise I was able to lose 50lbs and so far I manage to keep it off.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life. As of right now I am swimming daily and cutting down on portions.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

back when i worked in social psychiatry, many of our clients gained a considerable amount of weight due to a mix of pharmaceuticals (e.g sparked food cravings) and depression (compensating out the low mood with "happy" foods such as chocolate)

would have been interesting to see how those causes would have fared in the polls

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:

@bforrester420:

@bforrester420 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

Oh I was, and was considered anorexic by my doctors (I heard it from the age of 12), but I couldn't do anything about it; practice and my natural metabolism erased any chance of me gaining weight (or muscle mass).

My definition of fat is for myself, as that is the only comparison that really matters, and currently, I'm fat.

Hey, it's your story, tell it how you want. I'm highly skeptical to the point of outright disbelief that you were ever 2% body fat. I wrestled competitively in high school and in phenomenal shape, with weight cutting, I would only get as low as 6-7%.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Right now: injury. I lift weights all the time before injuring my left hand. One surgery operation and 3 months later to repair to severed tendons and I'm almost ready to start working out again. Gain about 20lbs during my injury because I miscalculated my diet. xD Whatever the case, it would be nice to start getting back into shape starting next month when I'm cleared to lift more than 15lbs--can't wait.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Pretty sure if there was a single reason, besides the whole eating more calories then you should, why someone gained weight, then people would know what to look out for so they didn't head down the path.
But it's more diverse then that. Lack of motivation?, Dislike of overly physical activity?, Emotional reasons?, genetical reasons?, Choice? etc.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@rabakill said:

people get fat usually because of bad diet and little exercise. It's really really easy to have a bad diet in modern society. I work in an organic grocery store, get free food and still it's hard for me to eat healthy. All it takes is Mcdonald's or junk food once in a while to mess up your body for a long time. The I am lazy I have no energy thing is a symptom of bad diet, problem is it takes hard work and dedication to get any energy. I'm healthy as heck and still it takes effort to have energy, I get why it's hard for people because it's hard for me and I have every advantage. If you drink sodas it pretty much guarantees being overweight, the amount of refined sugar in them is insane and is basically a get fat cocktail. Coca-cola should be called coca-hugegut.

You want to know why fat people got fat? Because society makes it so damn easy, spend 2 bucks a day on the wrong product and you pretty much guarantee being fat. With how competitive job industries are, with how much dedication school and careers take nowadays getting fat isn't a matter of choice for a lot of people it just happens because of the environments they are in and how hard it is to get proper nutrients from the surrounding area. It takes a lot of work to have a proper diet, you have to put effort into preparing meals or spend a whole lot of money for food everyday and in a lot of places we are talking astronomical prices. $100 for an actually nutritious meal where ten bucks gets you a value meal. The why is because the food industry provides food with no nutrients, tons of the wrong kinds of sugars and fats as well as a bunch of synthetic chemicals. Even the grocery store I work in has food that is bad for you when it claims it's good for you, just imagine how bad everything else actually is for you.

I make 2 liters of sweet iced tea a day, one cup of sugar. I've been doing this for 20+ years now. I also eat some of the most unhealthy food you can imagine: deep fried, pan fried, ladles of gravy, breaded, salted etc. I'm 39.

Why don't I get fat? Because I burn it all off. If I have to go to the store for one or two things, I walk the 2.5 miles (5 miles round trip). Takes an hour. If I don't feel like cooking and go get some fast food, I walk. Again, 5-mile round trip.

I mow with a push-mower, my neighbors all have riding mowers, and I have twice the yard any of them have. I get outside and keep my house repaired, they hire people to do it. I'm getting out and rebuilding my deck, everyone elses is rotting and falling apart because they can't bother to even weather-proof it.

And I look around me, at all my fat-ass neighbors, and they take the car to the mailbox. Seriously, they get in the car, back up to the mailbox, then right on back up the drive. These driveways aren't but 50-80 yards long. And it's not that these are old folks with mobility issues, either...just fat ass lazy people afraid to move their feet.

Our bodies aren't meant to be sedentary. A half-hour gym workout and then going home and sitting on your ass isn't going to cut it. You have to have a consistent schedule of physical activity, day-after-day. Get home from work, relax and refresh for a bit, then get off your ass and do something, because I'm sure there's work that needs to be done.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I used to be fat because I was lazy and ate too much. Thankfully I've sorted it out in the last few years. Why the hell did I go through life like that though, should have sorted myself out much sooner!

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Calories are not the mazing indicator to weight control everyone seems to think they are.

1000 calories gained through eating almonds compared to 1000 calories gained by fast food metabolise very differently and have very different impacts on the body.

The eating more than you burn through exercise is an ignorant stereotype used to sell people diets a gym equipment. You can exercise all you like but if your diet is wrong your going to gain weight, or fail to lose it.

You can be a skinny kid but be in the same poor health as a 300 pound man internally. Size isnt the primary indicator of ones health.

The solution to a healthy body, is a healthy balanced diet sourced naturally.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

At my heaviest I was 240. While I am 6'1" and have a fairly large build, I was def fat. Cause? I have a thyroid issue and am genetically disposed to being heavy. Nothing I did was able to help me loose weight and honestly who is anyone else to say what is the optimal body type? People should stop...heh...ok I can't even type that shit out with a straight face :P

I was fat because I ate too much crap and didn't work out enough. I'm currently down to around 215 and feel much better. Working out 30-40 mins every day and eating a lot better too. I def could stand to loose a few more pounds but am pretty muscular as it is. My goal is to hit 205.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Are people really taking this thread serious? LOL OT i mean come on its so obvious that the TS is trolling.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

It also pisses me off when people say a healthy balanced diet is expensive. Sure if you want to by the super organic premium packaged stuff in a supermarket filled with branded products then your going to be paying a premium. However you cannot sit there and tell me that fruit and veggies are bloody expensive. By fresh food and cook it and stop blaming the society that thrives on people making stupid decisions and falsely believing everything you hear.

Exercise is important but if you eat shit food you will be unhealthy regardless of your "size and shape".

Also good food is not more expensive, it might appear expensive in comparison to the mass produced, chemical laden, heavily packaged heavily marketed shit that surrounds you but a carrot can only get so expensive folks.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I pretty much grew up fat. As a kid, I wasn't obese but, I was chubby. It wasn't until middle school where I actually became obese and since then I have dropped weight, gained it back, dropped it again, gained it back again and so on. What happens for me is that I'll be all pumped up for like half a year, then I'll start missing junk food and start to slowly step out of my diet and exercise routine. Then after another 5 months, I'll be all hyped up about dropping pounds again and the stupid damn thing continues. I'm in a circle and I can't get out.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'm 35 and have a lean muscular body. What I do every day to keep it in shape:

- Walk for an hour (during my lunch break)
- Ride my bike for 90 minutes (bike to and from my work and ride some more when I get home)
- Do 250 situps
- Plank for a couple of minutes

I burn about 5000 calories a week.
It takes time and effort.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

im 6' and 185 pouds. so, not fat, but a lil chubby. Mostly from just getting older. My metabolism isn't what it used to be. I used to be able to eat anything and everything and wouldn't gain a pound. Those days are over but it took me a lil while to change my habits.

I also have had to take medication on and off that totally makes me balloon up. It's lame.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@TheFlush said:

- Ride my bike for 90 minutes (bike to and from my work and ride some more when I get home)

- Do 250 situps

How's your eating habits?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@themajormayor said:
@TheFlush said:

- Do 250 situps

How's your eating habits?

It's not that I never eat junkfood, but I try to eat healthy and stay away from snacking.
Luckily I love fruits and vegetables.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@always_explicit said:

1000 calories gained through eating almonds compared to 1000 calories gained by fast food metabolise very differently and have very different impacts on the body.

Care to link any crediable scientific source that shows that the difference is anything besides practically zero in the great scheme of weight loss?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

i find it really funny when skinny people act like they've been doing it right all their life only to get fat later because they really ended up doing nothing to stay in shape and just assumed fat people stuffed their face 24/7 and did absolutely nothing but take shits and sleep

usually happens right about the time they can legally drink, it's all that empty calories and drunken munchies and hormonal changes that come from lack of proper sleep and nutrition

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Some people are just naturally skinny. Back then, my skinny friend and I had the same diet (unhealthy, empty calories). He did NOT workout, and neither did I, yet I was the chubby one. I worked it off of course. My friend is skinny, but he sure as hell isn't "healthy".

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts

@lonewolf604 said:

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Some people are just naturally skinny. Back then, my skinny friend and I had the same diet (unhealthy, empty calories). He did NOT workout, and neither did I, yet I was the chubby one. I worked it off of course. My friend is skinny, but he sure as hell isn't "healthy".

I can believe it.

Loading Video...

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@TheFlush said:

- Do 250 situps

how far away is your job from your home.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I used to be physically fit but I lost all the weight because I injured my arm and haven't worked out for a year.

I lost 20-25 pounds of muscle.

So I'd imagine it's the same thing for fat people, only instead of dropping weight on account of being ectomorphic, they put on weight because they're naturally heavy.