Bands you don't get the appeal of?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

Immortal. It just sounds okay and not much else.

Bluestorm-Kalas

Dem's fighting words! :x

I've tried so many times to like it. :(

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Much to the probable disdain of OT, the Metal genre as a whole. It is loud sloppy music with screaming in it. That's it. I don't know how you could listen to it in any other setting than a fight or something of the like, and even then I can think of loads of stuff I'd rather listen to. I cannot fathom the idea of having it on in a party atmosphere, just on while you are performing a simple task like cleaning the house/apartment, or even driving in your car. Ugh. Hate it. To each their own.

KSU-Wildcat
... you have to get into it.. to someone that doesn't listen to metal, the music is going to sound sloppy.. but once you are an experienced listener you can understand the music, and appreciate the technicalities, that others can't..to get into metal you usually get there through a gateway band.. such as disturbed or slipknot.
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]He's wrong about the chord being static throughout the intro since I can hear the chord changes under the chugging.......LJS9502_basic

It repeats....you might want to listen again.

Wait, are you telling me Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags repeats the same chords over for the whole song? :? Comeon LJ, don't be so ignorant.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

[QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"]

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Then may I ask why you expect everyone to like Amon Amarth?

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#205 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]He's wrong about the chord being static throughout the intro since I can hear the chord changes under the chugging.......LJS9502_basic

The notes are repeated but it is not just one note.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]He's wrong about the chord being static throughout the intro since I can hear the chord changes under the chugging.......Bluestorm-Kalas

Wait, are you telling me Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags repeats the same chords over for the whole song? :? Comeon LJ, don't be so ignorant.

I believe we were talking about the intro....if you read the post Blue.:| Ad hominems don't a point make...
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

LJS9502_basic

.. hes not trying to make you like it.. hes just trying to point out that its not repetitive.. which it isn't..
viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts

paramore, green day, all the emo bands and all the indie bands especially tokyo hotel...crip its like a new one pops up every month

mlbslugger86

Did... did you just call Tokio Hotel "indie"? :shock:

They're on Island Records, which is a parent company of the Universal Music Group. I wouldn't call that "indie" :P

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts

Nope, I listened man, the root note, F# stays the same, that's what's tricking you, but you can hear the 5th of the chord shift to a 3rd. The fact is, the chord doesn't repeat, though the distortion makes it difficult to hear......

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]He's wrong about the chord being static throughout the intro since I can hear the chord changes under the chugging.......cyberdarkkid

The notes are repeated but it is not just one note.

I lump them all together when all I hear is the same thing....the intro WAS very simple and repetitive and anyone saying differently wasn't listening.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

imaps3fanboy

.. hes not trying to make you like it.. hes just trying to point out that its not repetitive.. which it isn't..

No. Read the start of the discussion. A user didn't like the band so he linked a song expecting it should be liked....
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 cyberdarkkid
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]He's wrong about the chord being static throughout the intro since I can hear the chord changes under the chugging.......JonnyEagle

Nope, I listened man, the root note, F# stays the same, that's what's tricking you, but you can hear the from a 5th to a 3rd. The fact is, the chord doesn't repeat, though the distortion makes it difficult to hear......

Yea the palm muting may make it hard for some people to notice the progression, anyways that thing only lasts for about 30 seconds and it's pretty much just a backing track for the melody.
KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#213 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]

Much to the probable disdain of OT, the Metal genre as a whole. It is loud sloppy music with screaming in it. That's it. I don't know how you could listen to it in any other setting than a fight or something of the like, and even then I can think of loads of stuff I'd rather listen to. I cannot fathom the idea of having it on in a party atmosphere, just on while you are performing a simple task like cleaning the house/apartment, or even driving in your car. Ugh. Hate it. To each their own.

imaps3fanboy

... you have to get into it.. to someone that doesn't listen to metal, the music is going to sound sloppy.. but once you are an experienced listener you can understand the music, and appreciate the technicalities, that others can't..to get into metal you usually get there through a gateway band.. such as disturbed or slipknot.

I like some of Disturbed's older stuff (the newest album wasn't any good to me). "Remember" on their second album is probably my favorite. I've slowly lost interest in them over the years, however. They are about as hardcore as it gets for me, music wise.

Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Bluestorm-Kalas

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It repeats....you might want to listen again.

LJS9502_basic

I believe we were talking about the intro....if you read the post Blue.:| Ad hominems don't a point make...

Ohh, ok nevermind. Well yeah, the intro does repeat itself, it would be stupid to think otherwise. like, 90% of songs repeat a riff, it would sound awfully chaotic if it didn't.

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 JonnyEagle

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Pretty much for the first almost minute. Then it did a slight change but overall the music was repetitive....thought more complex than The Beatles it's true...LJS9502_basic

Sure, to the untrained ear ;)

Yes because I Wanna Hold Your Hand was complex.

Of course not, but something like Happiness is a Warm Gun is, since there are several shifts in time signatures, and even usage of polyrhythms, things not found in that Amon Amarth song.....

Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Bluestorm-Kalas

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

I don't know which songs you tried, but the most accessible album (IMO) was At the Heart of Winter (and I believe it's their best). Just try this song and if you don't like it, nothing will turn you on to Immortal...but I find the riffs in this song to be a-freakin-mazin.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Tell me this doesn't make you want to headbang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-sanlvhmM

Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Bluestorm-Kalas

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

cyberdarkkid

Tell me this doesn't make you want to headbang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-sanlvhmM

You don't headbang to Immortal, you shiver to the cold frostbitten nature. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Cannibal Corpse

Death

Green Day

Arctic Monkeys

Weezer

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]

imaps3fanboy

Yeah I'm starting to get into more metal from listening to Slipknot.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]

DarkGamer007

Yeah I'm starting to get into more metal from listening to Slipknot.

yea.. not many people can go into the genre cold turkey and listen to peste noir, or amon amarh..
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 cyberdarkkid

Death

Guppy507

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4q0Xx-u1Y

Because of songs like those^

Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Bluestorm-Kalas

Death

Guppy507

Really? I always pegged you as a Death fan by default.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4q0Xx-u1Y

Because of songs like those^

cyberdarkkid

No matter how much Death I listen to, it never goes beyond "meh" for me. :(

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

Death

Bluestorm-Kalas

Nah. You can pretty much count on me not really caring for any American death metal band. :P Immolation and Suffocation are a couple of the exceptions.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^

*high five* Same here, I absolutely can't stand Death. Don't get me wrong, Death is far from bad, but I don't see why the constant praise. Same with Chuck, Chuck gets constant praise, yet I hear time and time again that he was kind of an a-hole in real life.

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Man, I didn't even like black metal - and Immortal was the band that pulled me in. The album Pure Holocaust is absolute musical genius. It has types of melodies that I don't think any other album has managed to replicate.

jb_22vols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 jb_22vols
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts
Slipknot. I don't know how anybody listens to that.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#227 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Which are not repetitive....that guitar just hit the same chord over and over and over....ad nauseum.

RobboElRobbo

Yes... they are repetitive... which is fine, there are good bands that are repetitive... but they are still repetitive...

LJ, why do you never admit you're wrong? Your favorite band in the whole wide world is a ton more repetitive than Amon Amarth. The song I posted is in fact repetitive, but the majority of their songs aren't.

Yes, this is very true... The Cure is a much more repetitive band than AA...

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Arg..don't you hate when threads get so long that you forget where you were last time you opned the page -_-
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Any band or genre which we don't appreciate tends to sound repetitive. The more you like a band, the more you listen to a band and more you can appreciate songs on different levels. To those who don't like death metal, the genre itself is repetitive – it has to follow a similar vibe otherwise it wouldn't be classified as death metal…

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#230 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

as soon as i saw the title i thought of Paramore

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 RobboElRobbo
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

imaps3fanboy

I don't know which songs you tried, but the most accessible album (IMO) was At the Heart of Winter (and I believe it's their best). Just try this song and if you don't like it, nothing will turn you on to Immortal...but I find the riffs in this song to be a-freakin-mazin.

Some riffs in there are pretty cool, and I like the vocals. But it just seems kind of boring. Just not for me I suppose.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] No matter how much Death I listen to, it never goes beyond "meh" for me. :([QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

Death

Guppy507

Nah. You can pretty much count on me not really caring for any American death metal band. :P Immolation and Suffocation are a couple of the exceptions.

Without Death, there wouldn't have been a Massacre (well sort of… :P )

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Then may I ask why you expect everyone to like Amon Amarth?

LJS9502_basic

No. Read the start of the discussion. A user didn't like the band so he linked a song expecting it should be liked....

Well, actually, a user stated that he didn't think anyone could enjoy death metal so I posted a fairly accessible death metal song. Of course me saying what I did was merely an obvious hyperbole. I was just trying to show a side to death metal that he might enjoy because obviously he's heard the wrong stuff.

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Pretty much for the first almost minute. Then it did a slight change but overall the music was repetitive....thought more complex than The Beatles it's true...LJS9502_basic

Sure, to the untrained ear ;)

You have got to be joking. I'm not trying to convince you to like them but you can't seriously say the Beatles weren't complex...
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#235 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
Death metal and black metal bands. I just can't get into the screaming and growling at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"] Sure, to the untrained ear ;)

bruinfan617

You have got to be joking. I'm not trying to convince you to like them but you can't seriously say the Beatles weren't complex...

Uhhhh... The Beatles wrote incredibly simple music.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Most "technical" bands deathcore lady gaga and that jazz drone bands
JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 JonnyEagle

[QUOTE="bruinfan617"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yes because I Wanna Hold Your Hand was complex.

Guppy507

Uhhhh... The Beatles wrote incredible simple music.

Not necessarily, I can find quite a few Beatles songs that are harmonically and melodically complex compared to most rock or pop music.....

Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts

I love Paramore...for Zac's drumming.

Nickelback...WHY Nickelback Canada? You guys have Alexisonfire and NO ONE in the States knows who they are.

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

[QUOTE="bruinfan617"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yes because I Wanna Hold Your Hand was complex.

Guppy507

In what way?

Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

[QUOTE="Lethargika"]

Do explain how any of these are "pig squealing"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ji7iNORK0 (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O-da4hHq4 (black)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20T9yOBcpo (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5yNOxrS9Q (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLBj8cgAA0 (black)

RobboElRobbo

alright, I take it back, that sounds more like "Pig Grunting".......a little less harsh on the ears...:P

Here's some black metal that you'll probably actually enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwrrLb-uJQ&feature=related

Oh wow, yea...that's actually really great music right there. That's black metal. That sounds nothing like the other stuff I've heard. Not bad at all.

Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

[QUOTE="Lethargika"]

Do explain how any of these are "pig squealing"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ji7iNORK0 (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O-da4hHq4 (black)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20T9yOBcpo (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5yNOxrS9Q (death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLBj8cgAA0 (black)

chessmaster1989

alright, I take it back, that sounds more like "Pig Grunting".......a little less harsh on the ears...:P

I see you like your analogies between DM and pigs. :P

Well it's the closest noise I could relate it to.... but that song that Robbo posted kicks some ass.

optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
Paramore and Metallica for me. I hear such good things about them, but I never really liked them.
jb_22vols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 jb_22vols
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="bruinfan617"] You have got to be joking. I'm not trying to convince you to like them but you can't seriously say the Beatles weren't complex...bruinfan617

In what way?

Yeah, listen to "Tomorrow Never Knows" and tell me that's simple. Also, I Want to Hold Your Hand made a HUGE impact. That was perhaps the most complex pop song to be released at the time.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#245 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="bruinfan617"] You have got to be joking. I'm not trying to convince you to like them but you can't seriously say the Beatles weren't complex...JonnyEagle

In what way?

It makes no sense to call the Beatles crap. I challenge anyone to listen to this song and tell me it doesn't sound like something that could be out right now. It sounds like a Chemical Brother's song or something. The Beatles laid the groundwork for some stuff I'm sure you appreciate.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#246 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Here's some black metal that you'll probably actually enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwrrLb-uJQ&feature=relatedRobboElRobbo

What exactly makes that black metal?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
The Cure. I mean come on, you could mop a floor with Robert Smith's hair.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]The Cure. I mean come on, you could mop a floor with Robert Smith's hair.Sigh_han

That's why you don't like them? Because of his hair? lol.

Well their make-up and stuff is pretty dumb looking (and it's not even amusing in the manner of Immortal), but I personally dislike them because I think their music is boring.