avocado toast and houses

This topic is locked from further discussion.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

can anyone explain to me about this i been hearing and seeing on the news and facebook

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

If you took all the money you spend on avocados and saved it you could afford a house.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

What it boils down to is incredibly out of touch douchebags telling the rest of us how to live our lives.

The quote in question (paraphrasing) is from a real-estate mogul that was asked something, and his response was "millenials are spending 19 dollars on smashed avocados and 4-dollar coffees, that's why they can't afford houses". That might appeal to the cynics, who will grumble in agreement and go "yeah *grumble grumble* kids don't know how to save, all they want is to stuff! *grumble*" and, on paper, he even has a very small infinitesimal point...but it's not that black and white.

Foregoing the fact that they're not even in season and I literally bought three avocados for $3.50 yesterday and a loaf of bread for $3.99 (I use half an avocado for two slices of toast, so that would be six servings...), let's look at the breakdown of generations since, like most people, this asshole wants to make it a generational thing:

The fact is that, adjusting for inflation, people are making less money now, working more, and things are more expensive.

*And for the record, usually when you order avocado toast in a restaurant and it cost that much, they tend to dress it up quite a bit. I ordered it once at a restaurant, it came on fresh brioche baked in-house, local avocados, artisan ricotta cheese, wildflower honey drizzled on it, and toasted walnuts. And it was 14 dollars. And worth it. Because I worked a 14 hour shift at a job that won't pay me enough to buy a house in California, anyway, so **** it I'm having "avocado toast"