AU Discussion Thread (Australian Users)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#601 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@Nintendo_Man said:

Split Screen Gaming

Split screen gaming has ascended to the next level with the LG Smart TV able to offer gamers two different full-screen images, simultaneously. By each wearing a pair of 3D glasses (included in box), gamers are only able to view their multiplayer perspective. Perfect for competitive split screen gaming, you will no longer have to struggle with a smaller size split-screen picture.

That's not new though. This has been available for some time yet it still needs someone to adopt it... someone who makes games I mean

#602 Edited by Nintendo_Man (19718 posts) -

I am sure the PS4 with it's high end technology will be able to do it. ;)

#603 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Serial_Killa said:
@mystic_knight said:

You think my logic is flawed, I think anyone who buys an xbox one has a flawed logic.

So by your own admittance your logic is flawed? Cos please correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you decided against cancelling your Xbone pre-order?

Which therefore means you are in fact getting an Xbone, therefore in your own words your logic is flawed, therefore Nintendo_man was in fact ...as much as it pains me to say...right?

Strange things are afoot at the circle K.

I wish to god i dont have brother like mine lol. It was the most annoying decision i had to make ever.. Shove the blame to my brothers not to me.. i still prefer to have a ps4 instead.. now im stuck having a console i dont want.

#604 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

I wish to god i dont have brother like mine lol. It was the most annoying decision i had to make ever.. Shove the blame to my brothers not to me.. i still prefer to have a ps4 instead.. now im stuck having a console i dont want.

Hang on... what do your borthers have to do with it?

#605 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19718 posts) -

Maybe we all should cancel our XB1 pre-orders because COD isn't 1080p native. :P

I will enjoy playing Forza, FIFA and COD in a few weeks.

#606 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@36Chambers93: Bro trust me on this 4k's time has not arrived yet. Trust me on this.. Oled's dynamic contrast ratio and colour vibrancy has more appeal and purpose than 4k. I mean every word of it when i said i will support OLED panels before i support 4k. I adopt technology which i believe has true potential.. While 4k has potential, its not here right now. And your opinion on games supporting 4k is not even justified at this point. No game will utilise 4k properly yet. You aregue something such as a pc outputting at 4k, but what content is there that's really worth justifying a 4k setup, what content in the near future justifies setting up that build.

@Nintendo_Man said:

4K TV will become the norm soon since some the TVs are now almost down to $4000.

Though this TV is a beast:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/lg-84-ultra-hd-led-3d-capable-smart-tv.html

What caught my eye was:

Split Screen Gaming

Split screen gaming has ascended to the next level with the LG Smart TV able to offer gamers two different full-screen images, simultaneously. By each wearing a pair of 3D glasses (included in box), gamers are only able to view their multiplayer perspective. Perfect for competitive split screen gaming, you will no longer have to struggle with a smaller size split-screen picture.

I have been doing dual play gaming for over 18 months .. my 2012 lg 55lm8600 has had that feature and i played black ops using this feature when it came out.

Much to many of you guys opinions i'm actually extremely tech savvy with my purchases. My houses tech is always some of the best tech available.

#607 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

They all got upset with me cancelling my pre order.. despite it being my console, my brother really wants to play dead rising 3.

Ps4 is far superior to the Xbox one and will be for its entirety. Developers can write games for it easier because of its infrastructure and the hardware out of the box is much superior. The games will end up coming out always better for multiplats on the PS4 and 1st party support of playstation is also greater than the Xbox's

6th generation ps2 was my fav, 7th generation i enjoyed xbox 360 most, next generation Ps4 will be the better console.

#608 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93: Bro trust me on this 4k's time has not arrived yet. Trust me on this.. Oled's dynamic contrast ratio and colour vibrancy has more appeal and purpose than 4k. I mean every word of it when i said i will support OLED panels before i support 4k. I adopt technology which i believe has true potential.. While 4k has potential, its not here right now. And your opinion on games supporting 4k is not even justified at this point. No game will utilise 4k properly yet. You aregue something such as a pc outputting at 4k, but what content is there that's really worth justifying a 4k setup, what content in the near future justifies setting up that build.

@Nintendo_Man said:

4K TV will become the norm soon since some the TVs are now almost down to $4000.

Though this TV is a beast:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/lg-84-ultra-hd-led-3d-capable-smart-tv.html

What caught my eye was:

Split Screen Gaming

I have been doing dual play gaming for over 18 months .. my 2012 lg 55lm8600 has had that feature and i played black ops using this feature when it came out.

Much to many of you guys opinions i'm actually extremely tech savvy with my purchases. My houses tech is always houses some of the best tech available.

Games are enough justification, we are gamers! I think you are just being ignorant to the point that you mentioned that you didnt want to buy an xbone because it cant handle 1080p on COD and yet I mention PC games that can do 4k if you are willing to invest into it, you sing a different tune. I really dont get where you are going with this.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-future-is-4k-and-its-the-PC-not-next-gen-leading-the-charge/1100-6415052/

4K tvs have arrived because I could walk into JB hifi right now and buy one. 4k Movies also do exist, true they are not native 4k and have been upscaled but soon enough just like early blu ray format movies, the market will grow. Some movies are already being recorded in full 4k and I believe The Hobbit is one of those movies.

You are quite welcome to invest $11000 into a 1080p TV because its has OLED technology , thing is you can buy 4k OLED tv's already.Whatever advances manufacturers make on oled technology will also apply to 4k capable sets.

I dont think you are that tech savvy because you dont utilise a high end PC and you have a Macbook lol

#609 Edited by Nintendo_Man (19718 posts) -

How can you say the PS4 will be more superior when neither console is out? You should reserve judgement until a few years.

You can always turn the XB1 to play some COD with me. :D

#610 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

They all got upset with me cancelling my pre order.. despite it being my console, my brother really wants to play dead rising 3.

Sorry if I'm a prick for asking but how old are your brothers? And do they live with you?

#611 Edited by Serial_Killa (25 posts) -

@mystic_knight: I have no doubt to your tech savviness, it's just lots of your posts give me a chance to use my gifs...so I do.

If TV's were a pissing contest, atm a 4k TV would be like being able to piss right to the end of the street. Not sure how useful that would be, especially on a windy day cos you would just end up with piss everywhere. But at least you could tell people that on a good day you could do it if you wanted. o_0

#612 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

Sorry if I'm a prick for asking but how old are your brothers? And do they live with you?

They do reside with me and its primarily my younger brother the 16 year old that got upset. The other is 22.

@36Chambers93 LOL you and your macbook arguement. why mix portable tech with household tech. trust me i know the PC is capable but 4k is not stable yet. I don't imagine (even in PC world) that it will be at least for another couple of years. When tech like the Titan becomes a middle of the road type GPU.

4K is the natural progression and when 4k OLED's hit the sub $5k i will definitely invest in one. FYI I had planned on getting that Sony TV .. i did change my mind though lol.. I could not justify any reasons why 4k would actually benefit me..

Also FYI i was a super big promoter of Bluray when 1080p first hit. If things are justified i will support it, i have always been like that, i just dont get that Vibe from 4k. not yet anyway.

#613 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Serial_Killa said:

@mystic_knight: I have no doubt to your tech savviness, it's just lots of your posts give me a chance to use my gifs...so I do.

If TV's were a pissing contest, atm a 4k TV would be like being able to piss right to the end of the street. Not sure how useful that would be, especially on a windy day cos you would just end up with piss everywhere. But at least you could tell people that on a good day you could do it if you wanted. o_0

HAHAHAHAHA Kudos bro.

The piss analogy makes no sense to me but it got a good laugh out of me

#614 Posted by Serial_Killa (25 posts) -

Wasn't meant to be too serious, dare I say I was just taking the piss.

#615 Edited by jamesh-42 (4332 posts) -

When thinking about 4K TV, it is worth keeping some perspective.

The usual standard for visual acuity is "20/20 vision". This is defined as being able to distinguish between two lines 1 arcminute apart (i.e. 1 sixtieth of a degree). If we assume you're in a small room and sitting 2 metres away from the image, this comes out at around 0.58 mm. Any detail smaller than this would not be distinguishable without moving closer to the image.

If we built a 1080p screen tailored to this limit, it's dimensions would be 1.117 x 0.628 metres, which is a 50" diagonal. If you were instead in a larger room and were sitting 4 metres from the screen, you'd need a 100" screen before you could start distinguishing individual pixels.

So for 4K TV to become ubiquitous, we'd need to be looking at one of:

1. The average visual acuity becomes noticeably better
  2. People start sitting closer to their TVs
  3. There is another large jump in TV screen sizes.

Without one of these, it isn't clear what benefit 4K brings in the home.

#616 Edited by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

I'm gonna hazard a guess that we're going to see a jump in TV sizes. We still don't have the TV walls Total REcall promised me dammit!

Back on my HTC now and I have to admit the updates they've made make this a much more usable system for me. Still not 100% ideal the way calendar appointments disappear when they're past their due time (instead of when I acknowledge them) but it's much better!

#617 Posted by superbuuman (6115 posts) -

Im fine with 1080p..heck even 720p ...4K? cost waay too much for me to even think about it. :P

Great weather in Adelaide today..too bad Im stuck indoor working...well weekend weather is supposedly great as well. :D

#618 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

where is aussiepet?

#619 Edited by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

They do reside with me and its primarily my younger brother the 16 year old that got upset. The other is 22.

That makes sense then. I was wondering why their preferences would impact what you bought :)

Hey does this mean you'll never play HIVE: Not by Design? It's in 640 x 480

#620 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

That makes sense then. I was wondering why their preferences would impact what you bought :)

Hey does this mean you'll never play HIVE: Not by Design? It's in 640 x 480

I have no problem with classic 2d rpg's being lower res. Your one fits that perfectly. im super pumped to play your game honestly LOL

#621 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

Did you ever play Nick's Quest? If so do you remember you were in it? Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlx9GYudpXo&t=5m32s

#622 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

Did you ever play Nick's Quest? If so do you remember you were in it? Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlx9GYudpXo&t=5m32s

T_T I never even knew about it,,, OMG Mna thats so awesome, im extremely honored.. im so keeping this user name now!

#623 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Chickan_117 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93 LOL you and your macbook arguement. why mix portable tech with household tech. trust me i know the PC is capable but 4k is not stable yet. I don't imagine (even in PC world) that it will be at least for another couple of years. When tech like the Titan becomes a middle of the road type GPU.

4K is the natural progression and when 4k OLED's hit the sub $5k i will definitely invest in one. FYI I had planned on getting that Sony TV .. i did change my mind though lol.. I could not justify any reasons why 4k would actually benefit me..

Also FYI i was a super big promoter of Bluray when 1080p first hit. If things are justified i will support it, i have always been like that, i just dont get that Vibe from 4k. not yet anyway.

You jumped from 720p to 1080p right? You do realise that PC gamers have been using 1440p monitors for the last few years now and it only costs a slight bit more to buy these monitors over the cheaper 1080p.

You have a very capable GPU of running games at comfortable frame rate right now and you have zero interest in utilising the option.

My god I have no idea why you think 4k is so far in the future, its available and stable now. You just need big $ to get it. Games that are already out support the resolutions. PC enthusiasts who overclock and like the latest greatest hardware and want high benchmarks buy the big end cards and than buy multiple quantities of them are achieving this feat now. All is required, is acquire 4k screen and 2x TITANS, its not rocket science.

You keep talking about mainstream acceptance of a technology to be the standard and as an enthusiast that is when its already become no longer cutting edge. Its part of the excitement of wanting the best, to be in front of the regular folk. I have my payout from work and some part of me despite me unemployed wants to still go out an buy this gear.

What does confuse me is that you say your tech savvy but follow none of these steps to get the latest and im telling you that if you actually did all the overclocking and build your own rig its more than likely you dont buy Apple. The very fact that you bought one indicates to me that you are not as high end as you make yourself out to be in the PC area.

I have no doubt you know more than I do with mobile phones we just have different areas of enthusiast interests. Though I do root my phones and overclock them as well :)

I know you are not a Samsung fan but they do already offer a 4k OLED screen and I would have considered. I also am aware of your blu ray support just like I am, so I am stumped on why you dont want increased resolutions and want them now, especially if you can afford it. Trust me ill be the first over your house in awe of your setup if you are running the configs to make it happen.

#624 Posted by jamesh-42 (4332 posts) -
@36Chambers93 said:

You jumped from 720p to 1080p right? You do realise that PC gamers have been using 1440p monitors for the last few years now and it only costs a slight bit more to buy these monitors over the cheaper 1080p.

And a computer monitor is a different form factor to a television set. How close do you sit to the monitor connected to your desktop, compared to the distance you sit from your TV?

Looking at the Dell website, the only 2560x1440 monitors they sell are 27", which corresponds to the rows of pixels being spaced at ~ 0.23 mm intervals. Using the same "20/20 vision" calculations I used in the earlier post, if you were sitting 80 cm away from the then the pixels would be only just resolvable (i.e. the same as the 50" 1080p TV at 2 metres).

I don't know about you, but I tend to sit at about this distance from my computer's monitor (maybe a bit closer to 70 cm). So this doesn't really seem like an argument in favour of 4K TV (at least not unless we're also massively increasing the size of TVs).

#625 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@mystic_knight & @36Chambers93

You two badly need to either get a room or go out on this date for Korean BBQ

In other news just cooked a boss steak on a brand new Weber Q. I'm actually astounded at how good it tasted. I thought it was just marketing bullshit but now the Weber Q is actually quite good.

#626 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

I had some fairly important test results today and, aside from being fine they also confirmed my sarcoidosis is significantly better and... and this is the best part... my blood sugar, vitamin, cholesterol... blah blah blah... is all well within a healthy range. I've not been in a healthy range for some time so that makes me so happy! Guess this healthy eating and exercise thing is having some side benefits too.

Sorry. I know you're probably all sick of hearing me go on about it but I'm quite excited.

Anyway... I too sparked up the BBQ today as the weather was fine for outside dining. Cooked myself a glorious marinated 250g piece of chicken. First time I'd grilled chicken on the new BBQ and I was super happy with the result. Well worth over indulging in :) Oh and the steamed veggies I did on the side burner whatsit turned out great too! I now don't feel bad for spending an extra $400 to get the side burner addon. Lol.

#627 Posted by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@jamesh-42 said:
@36Chambers93 said:

And a computer monitor is a different form factor to a television set. How close do you sit to the monitor connected to your desktop, compared to the distance you sit from your TV?

Looking at the Dell website, the only 2560x1440 monitors they sell are 27", which corresponds to the rows of pixels being spaced at ~ 0.23 mm intervals. Using the same "20/20 vision" calculations I used in the earlier post, if you were sitting 80 cm away from the then the pixels would be only just resolvable (i.e. the same as the 50" 1080p TV at 2 metres).

I don't know about you, but I tend to sit at about this distance from my computer's monitor (maybe a bit closer to 70 cm). So this doesn't really seem like an argument in favour of 4K TV (at least not unless we're also massively increasing the size of TVs).

Ive mentioned in my walls of text that I use my PC in a lounge room connected to my tv. The reason why I dont get a 1440p monitor is because they are not large enough yet to be used for my environment. I sit 2m away from my 40 inch screen.

4k monitors do exist already.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PQ321Q/

The fact that its available, im sure there are benefits towards the technology, I dont really follow your overly complex data measurements. I can only go by what I see and I easily tell the difference between 4k and 2k, all I need to do is go to the store and sit 1m in front of the screen and its obvious. I can see an obvious difference from the video below.

Loading Video...

#628 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@bayloski said:

I agree, though I think he is worried what I may do to his Macbook when he brings it along to watch K pop videos together and he needs to write up his reviews.

#629 Posted by Serial_Killa (25 posts) -

@bayloski said:

First Date

#630 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

I had some fairly important test results today and, aside from being fine they also confirmed my sarcoidosis is significantly better and... and this is the best part... my blood sugar, vitamin, cholesterol... blah blah blah... is all well within a healthy range. I've not been in a healthy range for some time so that makes me so happy! Guess this healthy eating and exercise thing is having some side benefits too.

Sorry. I know you're probably all sick of hearing me go on about it but I'm quite excited.

Anyway... I too sparked up the BBQ today as the weather was fine for outside dining. Cooked myself a glorious marinated 250g piece of chicken. First time I'd grilled chicken on the new BBQ and I was super happy with the result. Well worth over indulging in :) Oh and the steamed veggies I did on the side burner whatsit turned out great too! I now don't feel bad for spending an extra $400 to get the side burner addon. Lol.

Congrats on the good news. Glad to hear your health is on the improve. I'm sure Mrs Chickan will be quite stoked too.

May I just say that is a fine looking BBQ. Whats the finish on the food like from the RQT burners?? I bought two steaks from the local butcher and got them to marinate it in hickory smoke. It was for myself and Dads dinner. I didn't realise how big the steaks where and it ended up being 1.5kg for 2 steaks, not the cheapest when your paying $20 a kg!!! Ended up going halves in one so will be having steak 2 days in a row. The Weber gives such a good finish to a steak. Almost reminded me of like a Hogs Breath steak but nicer. Real juicy and tender with a nicely sealed outside.

Will be trying out the pizza stone on Sunday. Taking smoothees advice and not having Crust the other day will probably pay off making my own. If anyone has any decent pizza dough recipes they can recommend let me know.

#631 Posted by mjc (12711 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

That's great news! Well done :)

#632 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@36Chambers93 said:

@bayloski said:

I agree, though I think he is worried what I may do to his Macbook when he brings it along to watch K pop videos together and he needs to write up his reviews.

Opposites attract.

If you's argue like you do on here, it'll be like an old married couple going out.

The above post was a hint for a certain Italian on here to give me a pizza dough recipe ;-)

#633 Posted by superbuuman (6115 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

Well done! :)

#634 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Chickan_117: I'm very happy to hear bro. I hope you continue to see improvements. Congrats

#635 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

Our Korean dinner date will go perfectly fine, @mystic_knight is a sexy beast and looks matter more to me than how opposite we are. Asides ill be considered beautiful cause he cant see clearer than 2k so his distorted vision will improve my chances where he wont be able to focus on my blemishes :P

Seriously Mystic when are we eating and **** you drive me mad with your comments at times lol

@Chickan_117 Repping benefits of healthy eating

#636 Posted by elektrixx (2574 posts) -

I'm glad I'm getting go of multiplats on consoles. It's nice to not worry about resolution and stuff.

I was originally waiting for the GTX 780Ti, but decided it's money better spent if I bought a lower end card more often instead. I now have a 4GB 670. That'll keep me going for another two years.

Even on my old 2GB HD6950, Battlefield 4 runs at 60FPS if I have AA off and everything else on ultra.

#637 Posted by jamesh-42 (4332 posts) -
@bayloski said:

Will be trying out the pizza stone on Sunday. Taking smoothees advice and not having Crust the other day will probably pay off making my own. If anyone has any decent pizza dough recipes they can recommend let me know.

The first thing you need is decent flour. The standard all purpose flour they sell at supermarkets is rubbish, and you'll want something with a higher protein content. There are special pizza flours available, but any bread making flour should do.

You'll want about a 1:2 ratio by volume of water to flour, and about 0.75 cup of water is about enough for one pizza. I also like a bit more flavour in my dough, so replace about a third of the flour with wholemeal (you still want it mostly white though). I've found wholemeal atta flour gives a nice taste.

I usually start off by putting all the water (luke warm) in a bowl with some yeast and about a third of the flour, mix it a little and let it stand for about half an hour. When you come back, it should be a bit bubbly. At this point, I add a little olive oil and some chopped fresh oregano (you can leave that out if you don't have it), and mix in the rest of the flour.

Now you'll want to knead the dough. It will be a fairly wet dough, so you'll probably need to add some extra flour to make sure it doesn't stick, but don't go overboard. If you've got a fairly large bowl, you can probably do the kneading in the bowl to keep the mess to a minimum. Now leave the dough to rise for a few hours and it'll be ready to use. If you're preparing the dough in advance (e.g. in the morning, or the night before), you can cover the bowl in glad wrap and let it improve in the fridge. This slows down the process a bit, but can improve the flavour.

#638 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

Just a reminder Peeps, if anyone is joining in on Tuesday night respond in the PM so we can get names.

#639 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

Im watching Jobs movie now. Bout time I watched a comedy.

#640 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@bayloski said:

May I just say that is a fine looking BBQ. Whats the finish on the food like from the RQT burners?? I bought two steaks from the local butcher and got them to marinate it in hickory smoke. It was for myself and Dads dinner. I didn't realise how big the steaks where and it ended up being 1.5kg for 2 steaks, not the cheapest when your paying $20 a kg!!! Ended up going halves in one so will be having steak 2 days in a row. The Weber gives such a good finish to a steak. Almost reminded me of like a Hogs Breath steak but nicer. Real juicy and tender with a nicely sealed outside.

The RQT burners took a bit of getting used to actually. The heat is much higher and isn't as drying as an open flame so I needed to adjust cooking temps accordingly or I ended up with wrinkly sausages and weird steaks. Once I'd done a couple of cooks it was fine though and the finish is astounding. Never got anything close to that on my old BBQ. Shoulda taken a pic of the finished result eh?

Interestingly I can now cook pizzas on the BBQ and they turn out great. Got myself one of those stone pizza cooker thingies and, combined with the way the RQT burners seem to work, it works wonderfully!

My pizza dough recipe isn't going to compare to James as his sounds real profesh.. but here's what we do.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 4 cups plain flour (we use horrible supermarket stuff :) )
  • 2 teaspoons dried yeast
  • Pinch of castor sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 dose of unicorn smiles and love

Method to madness

• Combine water, yeast and sugar and let sit for 5 min. Should go foamy
  • Mix flour and salt then make a well in the middle
  • Put the stuff from #1 and the oil into the well then mix with a flat bladed utensil. Mix like you're cutting it up.
  • Once it's combined throw your utensil at a relative and finish mixing with your hands
  • Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floury surface (just enough flour to stop it sticking, not enough to add significantly to the mix)
  • Lightly oil the surface of a bowl at least twice the size of the dough.
  • Put the dough in the bowl and cover with cling wrap.
  • Put somewhere warmish and leave for half an hour. Dough should double in size.

Done done done done... well, now you need to make pizza of course but the dough is done.

#641 Posted by jamesh-42 (4332 posts) -
@36Chambers93 said:

Ive mentioned in my walls of text that I use my PC in a lounge room connected to my tv. The reason why I dont get a 1440p monitor is because they are not large enough yet to be used for my environment. I sit 2m away from my 40 inch screen.

The fact that its available, im sure there are benefits towards the technology, I dont really follow your overly complex data measurements. I can only go by what I see and I easily tell the difference between 4k and 2k, all I need to do is go to the store and sit 1m in front of the screen and its obvious. I can see an obvious difference from the video below.

To put it in simple terms, smaller pixels are less important the further the screen is from your eyes. I want the highest pixel density on mobile devices, followed by computer monitors, followed by televisions, followed by cinema screens. If I can only tell the difference between two TV screens when sitting 30 cm away, then the difference is not relevant: there are better things I could spend my money on to improve the experience.

#642 Posted by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@jamesh-42 said:
@36Chambers93 said:

To put it in simple terms, smaller pixels are less important the further the screen is from your eyes. I want the highest pixel density on mobile devices, followed by computer monitors, followed by televisions, followed by cinema screens. If I can only tell the difference between two TV screens when sitting 30 cm away, then the difference is not relevant: there are better things I could spend my money on to improve the experience.

See its even simpler for me, I need a new TV to replace my aging one. Knowing that 4k technology exists why would I throw $1000-$2000 towards a 2k screen today when its already not the best technology available and will be phased out quickly as 4k becomes more mainstream.

Lets argue that the grace period for 4k to become more mainstream is 2 years, when they become more affordable and dominate the market in range. Personally I would want to replace this 2k TV that I buy today immediately because its already obsolete and has become the bottleneck of my experience because my PC will handle 4k easily with my next intended GPU replacement card/s.

So the price of a 4k TV is $4000-$5000 today however it will be the standard resolution for the next 5-8 years. My investment towards the screen now becomes completely justified and as you put it there are not better things I could put my money towards to improve the experience.

You could say that 4k TVs in 2 years will be $2000 so I could buy 1x 2k TV today and 1x 4k TV in 2 years and the price will be the same. However what this doesnt achieve is the excitement of being one of those people with a cutting edge TV now and enjoying the improved resolution now and until everyone else catches up. Its a first world problem, I know but its a choice a consumer can make and what I get is the WOW factor and that is worth the extra $$$$. Right now its buying the latest Ferrari not a Hyundai and that means a lot to me.

Every single person eventually will be utilising 4k resolutions and the same people will be saying we dont need 8k. Manufacturers sell the products, its an obvious improvement that I can identify immediately. What comes down to which is the obvious problem with most people who say we dont need 4k now, is its a financial issue vs a technological advancement need issue. People need to stop confusing the two, they hate when they cant have.

This all started the moment Mystic made a silly comment about hating on a console and wanted to cancel the pre order because it didnt a support a resolution lower than what he is arguing now is unnecessary and calls it obsolete which seems contradictive given what we are discussing now.

Im actually the complete opposite with your list order I must say, the biggest factor for me is working on the big screen end of town first, mobile device ppi isnt a huge deal to me. Im not going to sit around and show my friends a mobile game on my smart phone and say check out my ppi, however on a big screen I wouldnt even have to say anything, they will immediately comment on how kick ass the tv looks.

#643 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@jamesh-42 & @Chickan_117

Thanks for the recipes guys. I had a squiz on the Coles website and they certainly do sell a higher protein flour so will definitely use that. The unicorn smiles and love are unfortunately out of stock though. I find it interesting that Chickans included salt & sugar.I may even blend the two recipes together (meaning no disrespect to either of you) and see how that turns out.

#644 Edited by Chamboosy (4309 posts) -

If we can't have our own sub-forum yet, can we at least get this thread stickied? I keep losing it and find it hard to find. Maybe I'm getting old.

#645 Edited by jamesh-42 (4332 posts) -

@bayloski: I get the 5 kg bags of Wallaby bread flour at Coles. It is pretty good value compared to the small 1 kg bags of specialty flours, but might be a bit more than you're planning to get through.

#646 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@36Chambers93 said:

Every single person eventually will be utilising 4k resolutions and the same people will be saying we dont need 8k. Manufacturers sell the products, its an obvious improvement that I can identify immediately. What comes down to which is the obvious problem with most people who say we dont need 4k now, is its a financial issue vs a technological advancement need issue. People need to stop confusing the two, they hate when they cant have.

I gotta agree with James on this one. With the current sized television your eye will not be able to discern the difference between the two. Therefore you buying the latest tech is buying it for a statistic on a piece of paper rather than a practical benefit. Maybe if you were buying a 75inch tv...

@Chamboosy said:

If we can't have our own sub-forum yet, can we at least get this thread stickied? I keep losing it and find it hard to find. Maybe I'm getting old.

Just bookmark

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/au-discussion-thread-australian-users-30836275/?page=13#js-message-639

Hopefully we'll reach a point where ticking the "watch thread" option means that it will appear on your watched topics thread. So far, for me, it maintains a list of every thread I've posted in but drops the ones I actually want to watch. :S

Actually I take that back. Hopefully we'll reach a point where our forums are back

#647 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@jamesh-42: I don't want to buy too much in case my dough making isn't up to scratch.

#648 Edited by 36Chambers93 (261 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

@36Chambers93 said:

I gotta agree with James on this one. With the current sized television your eye will not be able to discern the difference between the two. Therefore you buying the latest tech is buying it for a statistic on a piece of paper rather than a practical benefit. Maybe if you were buying a 75inch tv...

I swear you guys need to get your eyes checked, have you even compared the screens yourself in the flesh or at least checked any of the videos I linked. Its as clear as day and night the difference in quality.

If there were no advantages of the higher resolutions the screens would not be for sale today.

I recall people saying you cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p above the size of 40 inch and now you cant even get a 720p screen in any size. Fact is I could tell the difference between those 2 resolutions on a 32 inch screen and the difference between 4k to 2k is far greater.

Seriously baffled with you all.

#649 Posted by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

I did have it demod to me actually but, from the distance I was standing, I honestly couldn't. However I masturbated quite excessively as a youth and, as such, have very poor eyesight... I think that also means I'm going to hell and made my dead grandma cry. Hard to keep track

#650 Edited by Chickan_117 (16327 posts) -

@bayloski said:

@jamesh-42 & @Chickan_117

Thanks for the recipes guys. I had a squiz on the Coles website and they certainly do sell a higher protein flour so will definitely use that. The unicorn smiles and love are unfortunately out of stock though. I find it interesting that Chickans included salt & sugar.I may even blend the two recipes together (meaning no disrespect to either of you) and see how that turns out.

Well it's just a pinch of castor sugar... also it's my wife's recipe which she got from a cook book or online or something... so neither of us deserve credit :)