AU Discussion Thread (Australian Users)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#551 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@Chickan_117: Then measure distance. Small increases are an improvement, regardless of time. No disrespect intented but 900m is nothing, regardless of how fast you do it. Your main objective should be to improve distance, which will then add exercise time to your walk/run, which in turn will burn more calories and raise your metabolism, therefore resulting in greater fat loss. That is the objective is it not?

Time on occasion will be an incentive, but on other days it will be a mental hurdle that really is unnecessary in the infancy of a fitness programme. Set distance goals, with time as just a guide. Once you reach an acceptable distance by all means start to work on improving times, but concentrating on times when it is not needed is just counterproductive. Who are you racing?

Just a little fact to ponder. The body doesn't usually start to burn or use stored fat for energy until approx. the 20 minute mark during exercise. Therefore even if you exercise for 30 mins, your body will only start to tap into your stored bodyfat for the last 10 mins of the session.

That is why they suggest you do fat burning exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. That way your body is forced to tap into it's reserves much earlier instead of using what is in the bloodstream from your meals built up during the day.

Set a distance then reach it. Doesn't matter if you walk, run or crawl, doesn't matter if it takes you an hour, just make sure you do it and try to enjoy it. Hell even stop to smell the roses if you want. Pushing too hard too early is a guaranteed way to fail. Feeling overwhelmed, cut things back a bit until you feel confident it's time to progress.

Like I said it's not a race, over time you will get to know by feel the times you can push harder and the times you need to tone things down a bit.Overall the weight you have lost so far is a great achievement, the hard part is to maintain it and make it a life change.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#552  Edited By 36Chambers93
Member since 2012 • 261 Posts

I agree 100% with Serial_Killa, my main incentive at first was distance not time. Also what he says about burning fat, hence why I now run shorter distances and at a casual pace and gun the last 1km.

Even now my times do vary quite often on my 4km twice a week local run.

There are instances where I run slower, I mean the last 3 runs I did I was up to 1 and 30 seconds off my fastest pace. The reasons can vary for this, such as diet, weather, how much sleep I got, sore muscles and one that I have noticed which is an important one is over exercise.

I have a feeling if I did zero exercise during the week, let my legs recover 100% and did the 4km run, I could clock under that 17 minute mark which would be a nice target.

Saying all this, I do agree with Chickan needing time incentives, I just dont make it my breaking point for giving up on exercising. You make small improvements over time, you cannot simply beat your times with each new run. Other motivations I had I must admit was breaking calorie burning records, in particular when I broke the 1000 calorie mark in one activity.

To this date the biggest exercise achievement I had was making the city to surf distance without stopping, not the time or position I placed despite me still surprising myself.

The fact that you just exercise full stop trumps anything though. Do not give up, or you are just wasting your time now. More results will come.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#553 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

Im going to cancel my pre order for xbox one.

Ordering another PS4 instead. IW stated the xbox one version of COD is 720p vs PS4's 1080p. Not paying $600 for an outdated console.

I may consider it when it gets cheap.

You have said many questionable things in the past but this might be the worst of the lot.

If you care so much about graphics then don't bother buying a console or handhelds at all, just play on PC. I think it is insane that you would deprive yourself of playing XB1 exclusives for years because of the graphics.

Clearly some 3rd parties are going to rush some of their ports to make launch because Forza will be 1080p and 60fps.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554 36Chambers93

@Nintendo_Man said:

@mystic_knight said:

Ordering another PS4 instead. IW stated the xbox one version of COD is 720p vs PS4's 1080p. Not paying $600 for an outdated console.

You have said many questionable things in the past but this might be the worst of the lot.

If you care so much about graphics then don't bother buying a console or handhelds at all, just play on PC. I think it is insane that you would deprive yourself of playing XB1 exclusives for years because of the graphics.

Clearly some 3rd parties are going to rush some of their ports to make launch because Forza will be 1080p and 60fps.

Im still questioning his logic behind buying that Macbook :P

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#555  Edited By mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Man i went jogging up to 1.7 km and because of my surgery i have been out of action for 6 weeks. I tried to jog 650 and i got out of breath T_T... Anyway i should go back to my routine in a few weeks.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 mystic_knight

@Nintendo_Man said:

@mystic_knight said:

The fact of the matter is the Xbox one is not worth the price tag, its as simple as that, i will pick it up once it hits $300.

Historically also Playstation release their best consoles first. then the slim ones following depreciate in quality.

You think my logic is flawed, I think anyone who buys an xbox one has a flawed logic.

You reference one single game which does not even look that much better than Forza 4, if that is all you have for your 'trump' card then I have lost all faith in your judgement.

Obviously the PC is the superior platform and have two very capable machines which will most likely annihilate your setup. Despite not being my own I have access to them at any time. The reason I buy a console is for the experience of lounging and gaming. Also one setup lasts 5 years for $550. A pc will cost me $2000 with a chance of requiring an upgrade.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#557  Edited By Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

@jamesh-42 - How did I not see that direct DL page?! I clicked on a direct download button and was taken to a page like that but all links pointed to SF.

Yeah I understand they chose to use SF as a revenue source and I have no problem with that. I just prefer to trial then pay for stuff like this. I almost always buy or donate... if the price is fair. $20ish for an FTP program for my needs for example. Then again I donated $40 to VLC for their media player as I'm using it for playing and reformatting movies.

@36Chambers93 said:

Ive seen on my weekend runs a couple of individuals who have poor running technique or a short or even slightly chunky and they carve up the laps of the track.

My advice, if you want to combine cardio with strength, get yourself a Kettlebell. I have a 12kg one and trust me, it doesn't seem like much but doing repeat exercises it takes a toll. The weaker 2 friends in my group use a 8kg. I can do some exercises with a 16kg.

I figured using a sexy chick to advertise :)

I do try and keep my form good whilst running. I've seen a few people running doing this shuffle hunched over thing and I figure that I'd rather do a shorter distance with proper form rather than limp along further and a) look like an idiot but b) lost half the benefit.

Watched that vid. At first I figured much of it replicates what I currently do with dumbbells... well... used to do. Gotta get back into that... gotta get a bigger house!! Anyway there were a couple of exercises there that you'd really need the kettlebell for. Might grab one and give it a shot. Proof it works well was how that chick, who was obviously fit, was puffed by the end. I'll grab myself a 12kg one but, considering my dumbells are 10kg ea, I might have to knock it back to an 8 at first.

Thanks for the vid. It was very useful. Plus I like that they gave you an entire workout. I like having programs to work to and none of that looked like something I couldn't do. The fact that it was being demod by an attractive female helped too. As much as I hate to admit it I much prefer being shown exercises by someone of the opposite sex.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 Chickan_117

Oooh, missed page 12 somehow.

@Serial_Killa@36Chambers93 - One thing to realise is that my night time run has a different purpose than my morning walk. My night time run is just to see how far I can run. So far it's 380m before I walk so 1km as a goal for non stop running still counts as a goal. Sure that's crap by most people's standards but it's getting better for me. Anyway, the fact I time my runs forces me to push on when I'd normally slow to a walk sooner. I use it as incentive more than anything else.

For general exercise I go for an hour walk each morning. I don't have time to do it after work so I had in to work early and do it from there. Don't wanna get too hot and sweaty whilst in a suit so no running.

See my biggest issue is getting time to exercise. If I leave home at 6:15am it takes me about 20 minutes to drive to work and I can do my walk before start time. If I do it at home and leave at 7:15 it takes me 60 minutes or more to drive to work. After work... well... kids, wind down time, etc. Call it what you will I've found a way to squeeze an hour's exercise into my day and try to improve my running at night. Gotta start somewhere and, more importantly, gotta do what helps keep me going. I'm exceptionally good at justifying "eating that stoganoff" or "you have a sniffle don't go for that run that takes X amount of time".

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 Serial_Killa

@36Chambers93 said:

There are instances where I run slower, I mean the last 3 runs I did I was up to 1 and 30 seconds off my fastest pace. The reasons can vary for this, such as diet, weather, how much sleep I got, sore muscles and one that I have noticed which is an important one is over exercise.

Overtraining is probably the biggest reason people lose interest and eventually stop training, even though most people wouldn't even know they have reached such a state.

Stress and workload at work/home, exercise frequency and intensity, adequate diet and the most important which is rest/sleep all come into play. Exercise and diet is just as much mental as it is physical. If you are not managing each of these things adequately, you will eventually come to a point which is termed "hitting the wall" and will become overtrained.

The key is to recognize the signs early and make adjustments accordingly. Those who don't adjust just usually make excuses and quit, taking the easy way out.

They always have good excuses though. ;)

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 Chickan_117

I kick ASS at good excuses :)

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

wow this thread has really taken off

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 Chickan_117

Just needed the Aus community to realise it was here again. We're used to having our own forum so narrowing it back to one thread where you can't post more than two times in a row is a bit of culture shock :)

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 Chickan_117

Grrrr. My notifications are all time offset again! Blahblah said at 7:12pm... no they didn't! They said it at 2:12pm! Why ask me for a time zone if you're not gonna use it?!

Of course I could go log the problem in the correct forum instead of general venting here and probably meet with higher success :)

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564  Edited By 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@Nintendo_Man said:

@mystic_knight said:

The fact of the matter is the Xbox one is not worth the price tag, its as simple as that, i will pick it up once it hits $300.

Historically also Playstation release their best consoles first. then the slim ones following depreciate in quality.

You think my logic is flawed, I think anyone who buys an xbox one has a flawed logic.

You reference one single game which does not even look that much better than Forza 4, if that is all you have for your 'trump' card then I have lost all faith in your judgement.

Obviously the PC is the superior platform and have two very capable machines which will most likely annihilate your setup. Despite not being my own I have access to them at any time. The reason I buy a console is for the experience of lounging and gaming. Also one setup lasts 5 years for $550. A pc will cost me $2000 with a chance of requiring an upgrade.

We have discussed all this in the past. My PC is used like a console, its connected to my tv, I sit on the lounge and use a xbox controller.

Initially a PC could cost you $2000 at first however you can upgrade in increments as well and sell off old parts to compensate for purchase price ie selling video card to upgrade. Personally I have cut down on all the clutter but there was a time I had 2 fully operating PCs and could have scraped together a 3rd with parts laying around from old machines. Even a dual core chip running on LGA775 from 2006 coupled with the latest GPU will still beat a PS4.

Games are also a shit load cheaper on Steam/GMG/Amazon and are always on sale, I mean I picked up AC3 for something like $10 recently where the console versions are still $40. New games are usually much cheaper case in point a new copy of NBA2k14 cost me $25!

If you listened to me and not got that overly priced Macbook, you could have bought a non Apple laptop which is all you needed for word processing and spent the remaining balance on a desktop. Why was the Macbook justified in your instance as a reasonable purchase when clearly not worth the price tag. I seriously do not believe for a second you needed the battery life you claimed was the contributing factor that you needed to get Apple.

Lastly I recall you bought a Windows phone recently for $600 plus so you could play one game, despite already owning a capable Android device. Regardless of what you did with that phone, which I assume you sold off, well I hoped you did, you do have money to burn ;) Im sure you are not really worried about $300.

Me thinks you are trolling.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 Serial_Killa

@mystic_knight said:

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566  Edited By 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:
@36Chambers93 said:

Ive seen on my weekend runs a couple of individuals who have poor running technique or a short or even slightly chunky and they carve up the laps of the track.

My advice, if you want to combine cardio with strength, get yourself a Kettlebell. I have a 12kg one and trust me, it doesn't seem like much but doing repeat exercises it takes a toll. The weaker 2 friends in my group use a 8kg. I can do some exercises with a 16kg.

I figured using a sexy chick to advertise :)

I do try and keep my form good whilst running. I've seen a few people running doing this shuffle hunched over thing and I figure that I'd rather do a shorter distance with proper form rather than limp along further and a) look like an idiot but b) lost half the benefit.

Watched that vid. At first I figured much of it replicates what I currently do with dumbbells... well... used to do. Gotta get back into that... gotta get a bigger house!! Anyway there were a couple of exercises there that you'd really need the kettlebell for. Might grab one and give it a shot. Proof it works well was how that chick, who was obviously fit, was puffed by the end. I'll grab myself a 12kg one but, considering my dumbells are 10kg ea, I might have to knock it back to an 8 at first.

Thanks for the vid. It was very useful. Plus I like that they gave you an entire workout. I like having programs to work to and none of that looked like something I couldn't do. The fact that it was being demod by an attractive female helped too. As much as I hate to admit it I much prefer being shown exercises by someone of the opposite sex.

I wasnt pointing out that the fom was a major issue, its just that by the looks of their running they seem to be doing it wrong. By body types and clothes they are wearing they look far from athletic and yet the kill it.

They have much more of my respect than my poser buddy who spends more time trying to look like an athlete so he can tell all his lady friends that he did a massive workout yesterday and his guns are sore.

You can do some of those exercises with dumbbells but it is ideally for Kettlebells. If you want dumbbell exercises just find a video showing tutorials on how to use them. Realistically using combination of both is better. I also have 2x 10kg Dumbbells and im find them a little light, saying this I also find the 8kg Kettlebell light and people call me skinny still. Sorry it makes me angry that I get called that still, when I can probably out lift most of the people who call me that.

Basically you need to get a weight size that is going to push your cardio without fucking killing you so that you never want do it again so 8kg is probably a decent starting size. Shame about bells is that you cannot change the weights on them.

Go outside and do your workouts. Fresh air plus sun and you can also combine it with some running or skipping.

That first workout she does with the sway, I do that with 16kg and walk a step forward when the bell is above my head and I continue that for 100m. That alone will get you sweating. Oh getting trained by a woman would be a nice touch but when she can outlft you or outpace you, it could shatter your confidence, though if I was behind her just starting at dat ass would get me motivated.

Regarding your second post, look at my times. 15-20 minutes is all I need to burn 300 calories. I do that run after I put my food in the steam cooker or oven and the food is near ready to eat when Im back. I also have varying forms of exercise, what I posted up as my times are just my running/cycling times, I do the cross fit/boot camp sessions and you cannot measure that stuff, like how many punches I threw.

However I have installed this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.ohra.impetus&hl=en which allows me to create interval timings so I can least get some timed rounds going. For example I would set up a 5 minute session, 5x1 minute with 30 seconds cool down between each session and do skipping/burpees/running/squats/situps etc etc. You could also use it for weights such as the kettlebell workout, its very flexible.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#567  Edited By jamesh-42
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
@Chickan_117 said:

@jamesh-42 - How did I not see that direct DL page?! I clicked on a direct download button and was taken to a page like that but all links pointed to SF.

You need to click the smaller "Show additional download options" link below the big green SF download link on the main download page. Since there is a commercial incentive for you not to notice that link, it isn't too surprising you missed it.

--

@Zorine: are there any updates on when the AU forum will be reopening?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568  Edited By Chickan_117

@36Chambers93 said:

Go outside and do your workouts. Fresh air plus sun and you can also combine it with some running or skipping.

Have you SEEN what weather is like in Melbourne? Lol

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569  Edited By Serial_Killa
@jamesh-42 said:

I'll give you the hot tip...it's not. I reserve the right to be wrong.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 36Chambers93

Baffled about Melbourne weather, its summer time. I thought you get less rain than we do here in Sydney plus less humidity. Complaining about the heat well I must admit I start early on the weekends to avoid the heat and late on the weekdays.

Winter is no issue either, you get warmed up pretty quickly.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571  Edited By 36Chambers93

@jamesh-42 said:

My 2 cents. Its not happening :(

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 mystic_knight

@Serial_Killa said:

@mystic_knight said:

LOL!

@36Chambers93 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Nintendo_Man said:

@mystic_knight said:

We have discussed all this in the past. My PC is used like a console, its connected to my tv, I sit on the lounge and use a xbox controller.

Initially a PC could cost you $2000 at first however you can upgrade in increments as well and sell off old parts to compensate for purchase price ie selling video card to upgrade. Personally I have cut down on all the clutter but there was a time I had 2 fully operating PCs and could have scraped together a 3rd with parts laying around from old machines. Even a dual core chip running on LGA775 from 2006 coupled with the latest GPU will still beat a PS4.

Games are also a shit load cheaper on Steam/GMG/Amazon and are always on sale, I mean I picked up AC3 for something like $10 recently where the console versions are still $40. New games are usually much cheaper case in point a new copy of NBA2k14 cost me $25!

If you listened to me and not got that overly priced Macbook, you could have bought a non Apple laptop which is all you needed for word processing and spent the remaining balance on a desktop. Why was the Macbook justified in your instance as a reasonable purchase when clearly not worth the price tag. I seriously do not believe for a second you needed the battery life you claimed was the contributing factor that you needed to get Apple.

Lastly I recall you bought a Windows phone recently for $600 plus so you could play one game, despite already owning a capable Android device. Regardless of what you did with that phone, which I assume you sold off, well I hoped you did, you do have money to burn ;) Im sure you are not really worried about $300.

Your memory is flaky old man.:P

I bought a windows phone for $220 I gave that to my brother but I did use it for one game lol.

You know man the pc upgrades are going to be inevitable my GTX 670 is already considered incapable of matching up with the ps4 and xbox one in its life time, The card lacks support for Direct x 11.2. That was a $400 card that was one of the most capable cards for that price tag. Im already forced at looking into another GPU if i want to play anything past High. PC gaming is not as solid as console gaming for price equivalence.

I know you keep dissing me for my MBA purchase, but its A decision I never really regretted completely. If i was unable to install windows 8 on it.. it definitely would have been a terrible purchase. but i take my laptop everywhere. I write reviews everywhere, its a very convenient device. An ultrabook is always justified IMO. They are just convenient to take around.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573  Edited By Chickan_117

@36Chambers93 said:

Baffled about Melbourne weather, its summer time. I thought you get less rain than we do here in Sydney plus less humidity. Complaining about the heat well I must admit I start early on the weekends to avoid the heat and late on the weekdays.

It's cold and rainy all the time at the moment... well... except today which has turned out pretty nice actually

Not that it matters as I still go out when it's raining. Except for my morning walks when dressed for work of course.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574 jamesh-42

Maybe you're getting Perth's weather from yesterday. It reached ~ 37°C around midday.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:

@36Chambers93 said:

It's cold and rainy all the time at the moment... well... except today which has turned out pretty nice actually

Not that it matters as I still go out when it's raining. Except for my morning walks when dressed for work of course.

lol thanks for confirming what I thought about your city. Here in Sydney during Spring 85% of the time we have nice sunny 30 degree plus days. Ive already been to the beach once and its only rained a few mm in the last 2 months at least.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 Chickan_117

Hey Chambers, how's this float your boat? Would work well with the GC virtual console and save you the hassle of using something like Oceanmammal methinks.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577  Edited By 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@Serial_Killa said:

@mystic_knight said:

LOL!

@36Chambers93 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Nintendo_Man said:

@mystic_knight said:

Your memory is flaky old man.:P

I bought a windows phone for $220 I gave that to my brother but I did use it for one game lol.

You know man the pc upgrades are going to be inevitable my GTX 670 is already considered incapable of matching up with the ps4 and xbox one in its life time, The card lacks support for Direct x 11.2. That was a $400 card that was one of the most capable cards for that price tag. Im already forced at looking into another GPU if i want to play anything past High. PC gaming is not as solid as console gaming for price equivalence.

I know you keep dissing me for my MBA purchase, but its A decision I never really regretted completely. If i was unable to install windows 8 on it.. it definitely would have been a terrible purchase. but i take my laptop everywhere. I write reviews everywhere, its a very convenient device. An ultrabook is always justified IMO. They are just convenient to take around.

lol I love giving it to you :P Yo if you didnt buy that Windows phone there is your $220 you could have put to the xbone ;)

So you need to spend $1000 to write reviews? baffled seriously. You use Windows double baffled. Face it you just like having swagger with the Apple logo. All you said could have been achieved on a cheaper alternative, allowing you to spend more a desktop GPU.

I have 2x 580 which is just under the spec of one single 780 card, which I bought late 2010. I can play every single game at the highest settings. I am confused when you talk of this direct x 11.2 issue, how does 11.2 improve over 11.1 so dramatically. Its only capable of running in Win 8.1 anyway and as much as I like to have the latest, XP is still perfectly fine to play games on.

Im confident that 1 single 670 will still beat a PS4. Where does it say that a PS4 will trump the output of this card? Regardless you could always buy a second 670 which should only cost about $200 second hand these days.

Dont forget you can overclock both GPU and CPU as well. Have more options with adjusting the game configurations on PC format.

Back to laptops, well I'll be applying for my graphic design course soon and I have no doubt ill be surrounded by Apple fucks, who think they need the logo to run Adobe. I for sure will not even consider looking at Apple as an option for my laptop and this is an area where Apple apparently is intended to be superior.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:

Hey Chambers, how's this float your boat? Would work well with the GC virtual console and save you the hassle of using something like Oceanmammal methinks.

Looks authentic :rollseyes

send me whatever info you have, I dont need it for ocean mammal use but am interested if it works on Wii U?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579  Edited By mystic_knight

I honestly bought the Macbook air because it was like $700 cheaper than the samsung series 9 which was the only competition. The convenience of an ultrabook has been very redeeming, i would advise you to get an ultrabook too. They are amazing little things.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580  Edited By 36Chambers93

I am considering an ultra book however they lack power to run some of the Adobe programs that I may need for my course. tbh I dont even want to buy a laptop at all, I may just borrow one to use, I really dont want to waste my money on one because as soon as the course is over ill have no need for it.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 jamesh-42

Apparently 1375 votes have gone missing in the WA Senate recount. The Greens suspected that the AEC was going to announce the results on Monday, and have been asking for a delay to see if the votes can be found:

Loading Video...

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582  Edited By 36Chambers93

Yep a real modern console @mystic_knight

"Also in the FAQ, it is confirmed that the PS4 will not support 4K output for still images and movie content, though this remains in consideration"

Seriously fucked up move by Sony. I dont get it, it was a key selling point for me. I would have picked up a 4k tv within the year if I didnt lose my job.

Another point that made me lol

"PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive"

**** cutting edge bro :P

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 Chickan_117

@36Chambers93 said:

I am considering an ultra book however they lack power to run some of the Adobe programs that I may need for my course. tbh I dont even want to buy a laptop at all, I may just borrow one to use, I really dont want to waste my money on one because as soon as the course is over ill have no need for it.

Would you consider something like a Surface Pro 2 that's half laptop and half tablet?

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584 jamesh-42

@36Chambers93 said:

"Also in the FAQ, it is confirmed that the PS4 will not support 4K output for still images and movie content, though this remains in consideration"

Seriously fucked up move by Sony. I dont get it, it was a key selling point for me. I would have picked up a 4k tv within the year if I didnt lose my job.

While playing games, I wouldn't expect a 5400rpm drive to cause that much of a problem: with 8GB of RAM, I'd hope that it could have enough of the game in memory not to need to hit the HDD too often. It'll suck for game installs and updates, but perhaps that's part of their plan to encourage PS+ subscriptions, where these sorts of things can be done off-peak :)

One other downer from that FAQ is that they've dropped support for DLNA with no replacement local media streaming solution.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:

@36Chambers93 said:

Would you consider something like a Surface Pro 2 that's half laptop and half tablet?

The prices on those things are ridiculous. I would more lean towards an ultrabook with touch screen functions. Anyway unlike Mystic I am huge and healthy and can lift an extra 1-2kg in my bag :cool saving weight isnt the highest priority for me, so ill likely settle for some cheap ass traditional laptop for cheap that has more juice instead.

I really do not want to spend much money on a device that will get limited use that has a short life span for my needs, in fact ill probably hit up OCAU and get a second hand model.

Chamboosy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586 Chamboosy
Member since 2009 • 4309 Posts

I can't keep up with this thread. What was the concensus (is that right?) on Movember? Who's doing it?

The AEC losing votes? Oh for fucks sake. My friend got sent a fine for apparently double voting when they only voted once via postal vote.

Who's jogging? Don't run, they know you're afraid.

My teeth hurt.

PS4 for lyfe yo.

**** hayfever.

Halloween!!!

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587  Edited By 36Chambers93

@jamesh-42 said:

@36Chambers93 said:

While playing games, I wouldn't expect a 5400rpm drive to cause that much of a problem: with 8GB of RAM, I'd hope that it could have enough of the game in memory not to need to hit the HDD too often. It'll suck for game installs and updates, but perhaps that's part of their plan to encourage PS+ subscriptions, where these sorts of things can be done off-peak :)

One other downer from that FAQ is that they've dropped support for DLNA with no replacement local media streaming solution.

In some areas the PS4 has actually gone backwards. I did read the lack of DLNA and it also doesnt allow external drives. I dont really use consoles for these functions as I have my PC connected to my TV but it should still have these functions for people who do need it.

Ive also noticed now that PS + is required to play multi player, I saw this coming when they first introduced the service. Again, not a killer for me as I rarely play online but it was a feature I did appreciate on PS3. I ran into so many complications with my casual gamer mates on 360 cause they had to get Gold accounts just to play with me.

Even music CDs are no longer supported lol kind of old school and something I never used but again, it seems like its more work to disable them from working. Me thinks its a tactic to force people to use Sony online music store.

About the hard drive, chances are I will immediately change mine, but these days SSD are cheap enough and Sata 2 limitations is a bottleneck as you know and kills off the potential max speeds of the drive.

I find it amusing and I have been picking on Mystic all day ;) but his comment about not getting an xbone because its not up to the standards and PS4 was cutting edge did require some friendly reminders how silly that was.

Chamboosy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588  Edited By Chamboosy
Member since 2009 • 4309 Posts

Yeah, what's the dealo with no CD's? They'll patch that in later on I'd hope. I use my PS3 to listen to music regularly.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589  Edited By jamesh-42
@Chamboosy said:

What was the concensus (is that right?) on Movember? Who's doing it?

I just signed up to do it again. I guess I better make sure I'm clean shaven for the night. My mospace page is here:

mobro.co/jameshenstridge

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590 mystic_knight

@36Chambers93: with the ps4 you have the option to at least change your hdd. You are stuck with the xbox one hdd. It's not time for 4k yet it is still 4 years too early.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591  Edited By 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93: with the ps4 you have the option to at least change your hdd. You are stuck with the xbox one hdd. It's not time for 4k yet it is still 4 years too early.

I can change my hard drives on PC though ;) My arguments are not against PS4 vs Xbone, my debate with you is that you seem to think that the PS4 is a modern piece of equipment and Xbone is not because of a feature that isnt even a big deal on PC.

@mystic_knight said:

4k is available now on PC. You can even change the youtube video settings below to 4k.

Loading Video...

You need to understand I have a first generation 1080p TV and its fucking old now, its been over 6 years now. It cost me a fortune to buy at the time however the fact is for early adopters if you are willing to pay for it, you can have it.

The problem is that most people accept mainstream success of a technology to deem it current or even worse when that individual buys the upgrade. I completely disagree with that, I go by when the technology is available and as you can see its available now not in 4 years as you suggest.

Maybe PS5 dude, its not as advanced as you make it out to be.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592 mystic_knight

@36Chambers93: to be honest I have more faith in OLED TV's being successful over 4k TV's. The market and resources to support 4k are not here yet. We haven't even optimised 1080p besides blurays and some games.

zorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593 zorine
Member since 2005 • 2330 Posts

@jamesh-42 said:
@Chickan_117 said:

You need to click the smaller "Show additional download options" link below the big green SF download link on the main download page. Since there is a commercial incentive for you not to notice that link, it isn't too surprising you missed it.

--

I'll let you all know if there are any updates. At the moment, the priority is on fixing the front-end stuff on the site.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 Chickan_117

Hey! **** fever!

@Chamboosy said:

**** hayfever.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595 Chickan_117

Remember how I was complaining about how cold and rainy Melbourne was yesterday? It must have heard me as this is what I saw when I left work for the day. The seonc dphoto is what the weather looked like on my walk this morning.

Fan-bloody-tastic!!! :D

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93: to be honest I have more faith in OLED TV's being successful over 4k TV's. The market and resources to support 4k are not here yet. We haven't even optimised 1080p besides blurays and some games.

I agree with OLED but it will still be 4k. Again the market and resources are available for it now you just have to pay a huge amount to get it now. Oh no it cant get better than CGA graphics. Cmon dude why are you such denial, This isn't 3D technology which is a useless gimmick, 2k output was a natural progressive improvement just like its been happening for decades now.

Im going to go with cars again. Remember when power steering was only available in high end luxury cars in the 80's and eventually the cheap ass Hyundai got that feature in the mid 90's.

I feel that the people who are mainly against improvements are the cheaper late adopters. Dont hate because you cant afford it, shit I cant afford 4k now cause I am now going to be a poor student again with a mortgage but its available, though im not going to become one of these idiots who are in denial and get defensive about the improvements.

Typical example I recall a work colleague telling me he couldnt tell the difference between Blu ray and DVD in 2006. I already had a $1000 launch model 60GB PS3 at the time and I just told him you need to get your eyes checked. 4 years later the same guy buys a PS3 slim when the price of the console was down to $300, all of a sudden he cant shut the **** up about how great the improvements are.

You tell the same guy that 4k will be out soon, typical reaction is he says well I just bought a new tv, its not needed now.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597  Edited By mystic_knight

@36Chambers93: LOL i adopted a hdtv in 2004 man, it cost me $7000.

I would rather spend 11k on a 1080p OLED tv than 5k on a 4ktv. Im dead serious too.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598  Edited By Serial_Killa
@mystic_knight said:

So by your own admittance your logic is flawed? Cos please correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you decided against cancelling your Xbone pre-order?

Which therefore means you are in fact getting an Xbone, therefore in your own words your logic is flawed, therefore Nintendo_man was in fact ...as much as it pains me to say...right?

Strange things are afoot at the circle K.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#599  Edited By 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93: LOL i adopted a hdtv in 2004 man, it cost me $7000.

I would rather spend 11k on a 1080p OLED tv than 5k on a 4ktv. Im dead serious too.

Im sure you did and it would have been 720p at the time which was amazing quality.

For that 11k you could buy the Sony TV get a PC running 3x Titans and achieve 4k output at 30FPS so your logic makes zero sense. Unless you being so ignorant against the value of PC has against the consoles that you would rather cut off your nose to spite the face.

So much so that you made the point that Xbone cant handle 1080p and is dated technology and now want an older tech tv.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#600  Edited By Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

4K TV will become the norm soon since some the TVs are now almost down to $4000.

Though this TV is a beast:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/lg-84-ultra-hd-led-3d-capable-smart-tv.html

What caught my eye was:

Split Screen Gaming

Split screen gaming has ascended to the next level with the LG Smart TV able to offer gamers two different full-screen images, simultaneously. By each wearing a pair of 3D glasses (included in box), gamers are only able to view their multiplayer perspective. Perfect for competitive split screen gaming, you will no longer have to struggle with a smaller size split-screen picture.