Atheists have no morals?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

This is not the only time i have seen this kind of video or this even being mentioned. Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Because they acting like a damn foo'.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Be careful about generalizing the religious folks

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Atheists obviously have no morals. Hence why the large majority of prisoners are atheists. Oh, wait...

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

>Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?

Because they don't, duh

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Atheists have plenty of morale, especially with all the legal battles swinging in their favor. I don't think atheists have ever had more morale than they have right now. Stoked, I tell you.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

Morale?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

This is not the only time i have seen this kind of video or this even being mentioned. Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?

Why can't atheists distinguish between morale and morals?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: I love that girl, I've watched her videos for a while now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

If the only thing preventing you from going on a killing spree is fear of hell, then you need psychological help.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Ah the smell of generalizations in the air....

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, I may no have morale but I do have morals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Why the **** can't people leave each other alone? Why the constant need for approval of their own beliefs and actions by belittling everybody else's? So annoying...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Honestly I think nothing better sums up my feelings on the matter than what Rust says in True Detectives: " If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?"

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Morality comes from society, not religion. If you look at the 10 Commandments objectively, they're pretty much common sense rules required for a community to function successfully, with the exception of junk about other gods, the Sabbath, taking the Lord's name in vain, etc.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

When I saw the topic title I was thinking it was going to be about a bunch of suicidal atheists. Morale and morals are not the same thing.

Anyway, things like this are always bait for a huge pissing contest between atheists who like to mock religion and theists who make it a point to point out that atheists are doomed to damnation. Always good for laughs but repetitive after awhile.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 MrFreehuggs
Member since 2010 • 1260 Posts

Ahhh... Religious wars... the predecessor to System Wars

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#18  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
Loading Video...

Morals*. Morale is a mood characterized by feelings of bravery and happiness.

And the basic logic goes like this: Atheist don't believe in a higher power so they don't believe they are "restricted" to do stuff. Say if a religious guy is invited to a crazy party and he says "No thanks, because I don't really like crazy parties because I don't do drugs or drink". Then an atheist is invited as well, he goes over, he knows there is really nothing to fear asides from obvious consequences so he gets drunk and wasted.

Of course not every atheist is like that, or religious people for that matter. But that's just the basic premise behind the "atheists have no morals" train of thought.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Because i don't usually speak english and i made a typo deal with it

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lostrib

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Dude, it's in the video you're railing against

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

and i said, i made a typo. Big deal i fixed it

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

Honestly I think nothing better sums up my feelings on the matter than what Rust says in True Detectives: " If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?"

Well see, even that's sort of misleading. I don't think there are many religious people who keep themselves decent ONLY because of the expectation of divine reward. For starters, most religious people don't want to go to jail, so if nothing else that's enough incentive to keep them from stealing and killing. And sure, you could say "If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of not being imprisoned then, brother, that person is a piece of shit." But then we'd have to lump atheists in there too, since most atheists don't want to go to prison either.

My point being, what you've said is basically an absurd oversimplification of the religious motive. It doesn't work like that. Same like when some atheists say that Christians hate science. And...no. Those "science-hating christians" are usually going to the doctor and buying cars and watching TV. They're demonstrably not anti-science, so why the hell do people keep saying that they are? These kinds of claims directed towards the religious are just as absurd as when the religious say stupid shit such as that atheists have no morals. All these things are CLEARLY wrong with regards to MOST people, so how the **** is it that people still believe these oversimplifications?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer

@lightleggy said:

And the basic logic goes like this: Atheist don't believe in a higher power so they don't believe they are "restricted" to do stuff. Say if a religious guy is invited to a crazy party and he says "No thanks, because I don't really like crazy parties because I don't do drugs or drink". Then an atheist is invited as well, he goes over, he knows there is really nothing to fear asides from obvious consequences so he gets drunk and wasted.

Of course not every atheist is like that, or religious people for that matter. But that's just the basic premise behind the "atheists have no morals" train of thought.

I realize that that's the premise, I'm just saying that it's a stupid premise. It's like, there was recently a topic here about that movie The Purge, where murder was made legal for one night out of the year and then people actually went around murdering. Whether we're talking about god's law or man's law, incentives usually extend beyond the law. If you legally murder your neighbor on Purge Night, that's gonna have big fucking repercussions so you don't do it (even though it's legal). If you're an atheist and don't believe in god's law, murdering people is STILL gonna have big repercussions so you don't fucking do it. And in both cases, the law is typically reactionary rather than preventative, so the people who really want to do it are gonna do it anyway. God doesn't want priests banging little kids, but that didn't stop there from being that big scandal with Catholic priests being caught diddling kids.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Of course we don't have morals, otherwise we couldn't eat those delicious babies. And I love me some babies.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

A handful of videos on the internet isn't indicative of a widespread belief.

It's stupid that this has to be explained to some people.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@sSubZerOo said:

Well see, even that's sort of misleading. I don't think there are many religious people who keep themselves decent ONLY because of the expectation of divine reward. For starters, most religious people don't want to go to jail, so if nothing else that's enough incentive to keep them from stealing and killing. And sure, you could say "If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of not being imprisoned then, brother, that person is a piece of shit." But then we'd have to lump atheists in there too, since most atheists don't want to go to prison either.

My point being, what you've said is basically an absurd oversimplification of the religious motive. It doesn't work like that. Same like when some atheists say that Christians hate science. And...no. Those "science-hating christians" are usually going to the doctor and buying cars and watching TV. They're demonstrably not anti-science, so why the hell do people keep saying that they are? These kinds of claims directed towards the religious are just as absurd as when the religious say stupid shit such as that atheists have no morals. All these things are CLEARLY wrong with regards to MOST people, so how the **** is it that people still believe these oversimplifications?

Sigh.. I am specifically talking about in REGARDS OF MORALS for what the TC said.. What I did not quote was what Marty suggested before this, that society would be in shambles if we didn't have religion guiding our way.. I am pointing out this bankrupt argument that religion some how creates the morals we follow by.. Furthermore legality<>morality.. You clearly have never seen the show..

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrGeezer

@sSubZerOo said:

Sigh.. I am specifically talking about in REGARDS OF MORALS for what the TC said.. What I did not quote was what Marty suggested before this, that society would be in shambles if we didn't have religion guiding our way.. I am pointing out this bankrupt argument that religion some how creates the morals we follow by.. Furthermore legality<>morality.. You clearly have never seen the show..

You didn't post the show. You posted a quote and then claimed that that quote summed up your thoughts, despite the quote being applicable to hardly anyone. Maybe it made sense within the context of the show, I don't know. But on its own, it's a stupid quote so you shouldn't have used it.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: I don't like the fact that both you and this girl (sorry, didn't watch video) generalize so.

I do believe that sometimes atheists come across as apathic people ; they sound like they don't care about anything and often proud to denounce religion, God or whatever. I've talked to many atheists and they often love the oppertunity to pester religous people with questions about God, about Genesis, about evolution -- the list goes on. They like to challenge the religious folks. It's funny really, because both parties can be so stubborn, they both walk away from the discussion with an aura of smugness about them, laughing and shaking their heads, acting like the victor.

Often, they seek out religious people to "challenge" them to a discussion. In my experience, too many atheists try so hard to battle religious people that I guess they can come across a bit... apathic. Many of the ones I've spoken to and spent a day with (lol, sounds like I'm a reporter or something) often carry a hatred ,almost, towards religious people.

We had a student from Canada staying at our place while she visited our country. This girl told us about the misguidings of the religious people, and boasted on how she always "destroyed" Christians when debating that never-ending question of faith.

Sorry, I have to go now... I didn't get to finish my post, but I have to leave. Be nice :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@_Judas_ said:

@The_Last_Ride: I don't like the fact that both you and this girl (sorry, didn't watch video) generalize so.

I do believe that sometimes atheists come across as apathic people ; they sound like they don't care about anything and often proud to denounce religion, God or whatever. I've talked to many atheists and they often love the oppertunity to pester religous people with questions about God, about Genesis, about evolution -- the list goes on. They like to challenge the religious folks. It's funny really, because both parties can be so stubborn, they both walk away from the discussion with an aura of smugness about them, laughing and shaking their heads, acting like the victor.

Often, they seek out religious people to "challenge" them to a discussion. In my experience, too many atheists try so hard to battle religious people that I guess they can come across a bit... apathic. Many of the ones I've spoken to and spent a day with (lol, sounds like I'm a reporter or something) often carry a hatred ,almost, towards religious people.

We had a student from Canada staying at our place while she visited our country. This girl told us about the misguidings of the religious people, and boasted on how she always "destroyed" Christians when debating that never-ending question of faith.

Sorry, I have to go now... I didn't get to finish my post, but I have to leave. Be nice :p

She stated right at the start that she knows most religious people aren't like him and it's bad that religion gets treated badly because of some outspoken idiots. Don't accuse someone of generalising when you didn't even bother watching the first 10 seconds. The fact that you assumed she generalised simply because she is an atheists is incredibly hypocritical.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#31 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Not all of them think that. It's very rare for me to run into anyone with the "If you're not religious, you have no morals" mindset.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By _Judas_

@toast_burner: yes, sorry. I didn't have time to watch it. It doesn't mean I'm hypocritical... I clearly stated that I didn't watch the video. I based my response on The_Last_Ride's comment, and I "assumed" she generalized. I'll review it later when I have time (watching football at the moment).

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

If there's are two things a zealot hates more than other zealots, it's religeous casuals and atheists.

Of course they think we're amoral, we tend to point out that being religeous is akin to believing in ghosts.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Last_Ride

@lightleggy said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
Loading Video...

i fixed the title.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts
@SaintLeonidas said:

Atheists obviously have no morals. Hence why the large majority of prisoners are atheists. Oh, wait...

Most people today are not very moral. We live in an era where almost everyone is greedy and where everyone just wants to make as much money as they can.

Most of us are atheists in some sense. What I mean by this is that I think there is an 'atheist' in every one of us.

Most people know that one day they will die and cease to exist so if life is so short and we only get to live once then most people have no reason to care about other people or anything else other than themselves for that matter.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@toast_burner: " If the only thing preventing you from going on a killing spree is fear of hell."

One only needs to repent and all shall be forgiven.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@_Judas_ said:

She clearly states people like this give religious people a bad name... And i never said everyone, i asked why religious people like this guy think atheists have no morals.

I don't seek out to "challenge" anyone. I have never EVER fucking seen any atheists go round in the streets pestering people about eternal hell or joining them by shouting. I have met plenty of Jehovas witnesses and what not trying to convert me, and i politely say no. So if there are a few out there challenging so called religious people isn't that their right? Freedom of speech dude. If religious people can pester and shout in the streets about eternal torture and hell why can't anyone call them out? You are the one generalizing atheists here. I could take on people on in religious debates and how was she apathic as you state we are?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Thank you for derailing the thread

But do you mind taking your grammarnazi behaviour elsewhere and if you feel so strongly about grammar and spelling make a thread about it. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude (Just to have that "lowerclass" word in there)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

But do you mind taking your grammarnazi behaviour elsewhere and if you feel so strongly about grammar and spelling make a thread about it. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude (Just to have that "lowerclass" word in there)

You're criticizing me for derailing for 2 posts, over 12 hours ago? That you felt the need to then comment on, even though that discussion has obviously been dropped. Sounds like you're the one trying to derail.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride: Do anyone need anyone to tell them that most normal sane people have morals since morals comes from having "Feelings" and knowing whats right and wrong.

So crazy topic where everyone hopefully know that morals are a deep fundamental part of humans and have been every since Ancient Greece where Ethos first were mentioned. And for anyone not knowing their history Ancient Greece is BC.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

It's a scientific religious fact that only christians have morals. Morals is latin for Christian value. Atheists can find their own path to glory.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jacanuk

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

You're criticizing me for derailing for 2 posts, over 12 hours ago? That you felt the need to then comment on, even though that discussion has obviously been dropped. Sounds like you're the one trying to derail.

Dont care how long ago you wrote it. Just can't stand people who think they can correct others when it comes to spelling or grammar on a internet forum.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

Dont care how long ago you wrote it. Just can't stand people who think they can correct others when it comes to spelling or grammar on a internet forum.

Well there is quite a difference between morale and morals. Now please stop derailing this thread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@purplelabel said:

It's a scientific religious fact that only christians have morals. Morals is latin for Christian value. Atheists can find their own path to glory.

Are you trolling? Moral comes from the Latin word moralitas which means manner/character. It has nothing to do with Christianity.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacanuk

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

Well there is quite a difference between morale and morals. Now please stop derailing this thread

There might be but clearly everyone knew what was meant, well except you but your use of "dude" kinda says it all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jacanuk

@purplelabel said:

Nice sarcastic comment ;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

There might be but clearly everyone knew what was meant, well except you but your use of "dude" kinda says it all.

thank you for derailing the thread

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By _Judas_

@The_Last_Ride: come on, guy. No need for "F-bombs". It was not my intention to attack you. It was merely meant as a general wondering, thinking out loud on the subject.

And, no: you didn't. You clearly state in the first post "Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?"

And sorry; I clearly meant atheists I'VE ENCOUNTERED In real life. I don't know you...so why should I mention you? The people in my post are people whom I've met and people whom I've dealt with. Sorry for the confusion. And I am sorry if I offended you, I only wished to contribute to 'why' atheists sometimes are considered "immoral".

First of all: I didn't get to finish my post, but now I've seen the video, and this guy is clearly a extremist or a follower or some very specific Christian-shit. This changes the situation completely:

Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?

The_Last_Ride

This guy sounds alot like an extremist, which changes the entire case. Listen to this guy... you're not doing good deeds unless you do them in the name of God. He's talking about chemicals and robots... If you watch his original video he talks about what [all] 'Christians' should do. THIS IS NOT THE MINDSET OF A "REGULAR" CHRISTIAN! Pay him no mind :p

I have no quarrels with atheists, frankly, I don't care...maybe I consider myself a bit of atheistic...or maybe agnostic.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride: Do anyone need anyone to tell them that most normal sane people have morals since morals comes from having "Feeligns" and knowing whats right and wrong.

So crazy topic who everyone hopefully know isn't the case.

Obviously not, because someone asked her that question not understanding people without belief having no morals