Atheist "afterlife" is very comforting.

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
And yet the religious freak out when they start to contemplate annihilation and non-existence.foxhound_fox
lol talk about generalizing. The TC proves you wrong
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

Only Mormons go to heaven.

Heaven must be terrible.

TopTierHustler

Don't Mormons go to Joseph Smith's house? I hear he has a nice set of plates....

[spoiler] don't get your panties twisted...it's a joke [/spoiler]

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
When I die I want to be vaporised and inhaled by a large group of people and then I can take over their body using the nano machines that were implanted in me.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

No consciousness means, essentially, absolute ignorance. Now, if you consider ignorance to be paradise, (wtf, mayormajor?) then that's paradise.

Q.E.D.

I never told you what you believe. Are you dense?

SEANMCAD

Ignorance=bliss Absolut ignorance=absolute bliss Now I base this just off a stupid saying. But really there is no suffering, you're not aware about your non-existance. You don't even exist. Maybe not paradise but I can think of worse things, that's for sure.

so the carbon in your printer is in a state of bliss is what you are saying.

Did you even read what I wrote?

I was basing this off a stupid saying. According to that saying yes the carbon would be in a state of bliss. But then I called the saying stupid and said I don't consider it paradise but certainly preferable against suffering. Why is it so hard to understand??

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

so the carbon in your printer is in a state of bliss is what you are saying.

SEANMCAD

Did you even read what I wrote?

I was basing this off a stupid saying. According to that saying yes the carbon would be in a state of bliss. But then I called the saying stupid and said I don't consider it paradise but certainly preferable against suffering. Why is it so hard to understand??

what saying are you refering to?

I hope you are not saying that aethists are saying anything whatsoever other than 'when we die we turn into carbon' maybe I misunderstand

What I'm saying is I rather not suffer than suffer. Understand?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
lol talk about generalizing. The TC proves you wrongthemajormayor
Actually, the vast majority of religious people prove me right.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]lol talk about generalizing. The TC proves you wrongfoxhound_fox

I disagree with that......
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I always hear atheists saying stupid stuff like "Religion is only for people who can't accept their own mortality to feel comfortable with death". But really what is more comforting? Religious afterlife or atheist "afterlife"?

Religious afterlife:

Eternal suffering (this is what happens to 99,999...% of the people according to South Park)

Reincarnation. Also a form of eternal suffering although a lesser kind of suffering.

Meanwhile athest afterlife:

Oblivion. No suffering whatsoever. In fact it's a kinda like paradise considering ignorance=bliss. Since this is the ultimate form of ignorance it is also the ultimate form of bliss.

So it's really the atheists taking the easy way out when looking at death.

Personally though I don't belive in any of these, although closest to my view is reincarnation, but these are the mainstream views.

themajormayor

Well, the good thing about being religious is that most of the time you think that your own lifestyle will get you into heaven. If you're worried about going to heaven or hell you probably think you're going to heaven, if you don't think you're going to heaven you probably don't believe in it. That being said, the lack of constant worry about heaven and hell is one of the things I very much appreciate about being an atheist.

Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance lessens the blow of inevitable death (you won't be worried about your own death after you're dead), but you won't be happy in death either, you just won't be. This doesn't make death less of a scary concept for atheists, it's disconcerting given that a basic trait of our consciousness is to witness existence, and as such it is impossible for us to contemplate non-existence. I just have learned to accpet it. I think that existence is defined by dichotomies, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Without death there can be no life, so the inevitability of death is all the more reason for me to celebrate life. That, and my two choices in a Christian afterlife are burning in hell for all eternity or singing hymns to god with Christians for all eternity, let's just say I prefer non-existence to either of those.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

what saying are you refering to?

I hope you are not saying that aethists are saying anything whatsoever other than 'when we die we turn into carbon' maybe I misunderstand

SEANMCAD

What I'm saying is I rather not suffer than suffer. Understand?

let me ask more directly

what 'stupid saying' are you refering to?

(sorry i might have gotten lost somewhere in the convo)

The saying that ignorance is bliss. It's true to some extent but it''s no universal truth (I think) that can be used in any situation
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]lol talk about generalizing. The TC proves you wrongfoxhound_fox

Am convinced
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I disagree with that......LJS9502_basic
You disagree that most religious people fear non-existence? Okaaay... good for you I guess.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

Eternal suffering (this is what happens to 99,999...% of the people according to South Park)

themajormayor
Actually, according to South Park only Mormons go to heaven.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

I don't know why, but for some reason I'm starting to believe that once we die, our life just starts over. Ever had a dream of the future? I'm not talking about how you dream something and then do it the next day, I'm talking about having a dream, forgetting it and then that moment in time comes weeks months or even years later that you dreamt and you remember the dream. Stupid I know but hey; I can dream can't I?

ConkerAndBerri2

I've had this thought too. I've had quite a few dreams like that and that's why I've thought of this possibility. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. Inthe end we may never know.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#66 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

The best thing about atheism is that you don't have some external source dictating how you should live. Life being pointless is exactly what makes it beautiful.

As for no afterlife, I find it a frightful thought that once we're dead, we'll be gone forever. Then again, religious convictions or lack thereof shouldn't be based upon which belief system offers the most comforting afterlife.

DraugenCP
That sounds more like Nihilism than atheism.
Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Not really such thing as a atheist "afterlife"...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Big_Bad_Sad

I think I c wat u did that. I think
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 themajormayor

Not really such thing as a atheist "afterlife"...

Pikdum

Hence the ""

Heisenderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Heisenderp
Member since 2011 • 815 Posts

I always hear atheists saying stupid stuff like "Religion is only for people who can't accept their own mortality to feel comfortable with death". But really what is more comforting? Religious afterlife or atheist "afterlife"?

Religious afterlife:

Reincarnation. Also a form of eternal suffering although a lesser kind of suffering.

Oblivion. No suffering whatsoever. In fact it's a kinda like paradise considering ignorance=bliss. Since this is the ultimate form of ignorance it is also the ultimate form of bliss.

Personally though I don't belive in any of these, although closest to my view is reincarnation, but these are the mainstream views.

themajormayor

Yep, that's Socrates's thinking, and it's pretty much the only thing I agree about with him.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

you're completely ignoring the fact that a religious afterlife often has infinite pleasures

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I was thinking it would feel like the time before you were born. Non-existing.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Big_Bad_Sad

Nice, eternal soaking.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Religious afterlife:

Heisenderp

Yep, that's Socrates's thinking, and it's pretty much the only thing I agree about with him.

are you the same person that went on a 2 page rant about why aristotle is better than socrates?
Heisenderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Heisenderp
Member since 2011 • 815 Posts

[QUOTE="Heisenderp"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Religious afterlife:

kingkong0124

are you the same person that went on a 2 page rant about why aristotle is better than socrates?

No

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I am atheist. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is the soul.

To think I am 1 in 200,000,000 sperm and I could have easily just not existed... when I j*zz 200,000,000 souls are lost? I can't imagine that, I feel like there is more to it.

It could be that when you die, you die and that's it.

Doesn't bother me, we came from nothing, when I cease to exist I will be nothing, the cycle will continue. When the world ends, parts of me will still be around somewhere, maybe I will be of use to some life billions of years later.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#78 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Religious afterlife:

themajormayor
I don't believe in any of those at all, so I don't know what you're on about.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 themajormayor

To think I am 1 in 200,000,000 sperm and I could have easily just not existed... when I j*zz 200,000,000 souls are lost? I can't imagine that, I feel like there is more to it.

Doesn't bother me, we came from nothing, when I cease to exist I will be nothing, the cycle will continue. When the world ends, parts of me will still be around somewhere, maybe I will be of use to some life billions of years later.

SaltyMeatballs

Think of the numbers of sperms that have existed in this universe alone. Probably something like 2*10^(3243897897359873^(34287893598^(83485898934^(5689569)))) sperms.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

SaltyMeatballs

Do you seriously think that is the position of any theist?

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ShadowsDemon

SaltyMeatballs
It's in interesting concept. However personally I don't believe that a person "has" a soul. Rather that we actually are the souls instead as a person.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#82 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

themajormayor

Your idea that non-existence is like paradise is...not exactly logical.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Jackc8

Your idea that non-existence is like paradise is...not exactly logical.

It is better to not exist than to exist.

That is a maxim some philosophers believe in, and it fits nicely into this.

-

If there is nothing after death, then you have no capacity for reflection.

And if you cannot reflect, you cannot dwell on the fact that your existence is an endless expanse of nothingness, so you cannot be in despair.

Therefore, non-existence is bliss.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#84 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

The best thing about atheism is that you don't have some external source dictating how you should live. Life being pointless is exactly what makes it beautiful.

As for no afterlife, I find it a frightful thought that once we're dead, we'll be gone forever. Then again, religious convictions or lack thereof shouldn't be based upon which belief system offers the most comforting afterlife.

hiphops_savior

That sounds more like Nihilism than atheism.

Believing that there is no higher power dictating our lives and that there is no afterlife is pretty much exactly what atheism is.

ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

Im a Christian but to be honest I kinda believe that when we die, we either

-Go to Heaven

-Go to Hell

OR

We start another life (with no memory of our previous) but in an alternate world, alternate universe. Basically a universe that the Human mind is not able to comprehend.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I agree, the theist's picture of the afterlife is more comforting then the atheist's. But that has nothing to do with which is true, it just says that one is more warm and fuzzy.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Philokalia

We start another life (with no memory of our previous) but in an alternate world, alternate universe. Basically a universe that the Human mind is not able to comprehend.

ThisIsTwoFace

Thats Hinduism not Christianity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="ThisIsTwoFace"]

Philokalia

Thats Hinduism not Christianity.

Unless he believes in the Hindu gods then it's not Hinduism.

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts
I haven't seen a troll try this hard in a while....
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ThisIsTwoFace"]

Im a Christian but to be honest I kinda believe that when we die, we either

-Go to Heaven

-Go to Hell

OR

I don't believe in Hell for the reason that if God did create the universe lovingly and design it perfectly for us why would he punish us for eternity? It's just a tale that the Catholic Priests used to spin to get people to pour in their life's savings so they could be "forgiven".
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

As an atheist I have found within myself a level of peace I never achieved as a religious person.

junglist101
might be because you were prone to atheism...
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Philokalia

I don't believe in Hell for the reason that if God did create the universe lovingly and design it perfectly for us why would he punish us for eternity? It's just a tale that the Catholic Priests used to spin to get people to pour in their life's savings so they could be "forgiven".ShadowsDemon

Actually its what scripture teaches, Hades that, that those whom will be risen, some will go to glory, some to everlasitng shame.

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

How would reincarnation be suffering? Sure, if you came back as a worm that would be kind of lame, but surely even a worm must be happy and satisfied when they find a nice apple to dig into or what not. It's not like a worm thinks to himself everyday "Man it sucks being a worm...".

tenaka2

There is way more suffering than pleasure in this world. WAY more. Even if you are a human. That's like almost fact.

Your initial opening is bollox, all religious people actually believe they are going to heaven.

Lol no they don't, what you said is bollox. Religious people are taught humility and humbleness in such a case, and are taught not to believe that they are easily going to go to heaven. Maybe those who have no clue as to what their religion actually teaches them and just say they're going to heaven because they didn't kill or didn't rob. It's meant to be much harder than that to find eternal happiness in heaven after death.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

The religious claim to know what's to happen to them after death, going to Heaven. The atheist claims we will reduce to nothing. You're telling me Heaven is a less comforting prospect than ceasing to exist forever?

themajormayor
Heaven is only for 0.00000....1% of people according to south park

I've never look at south park so I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Only the truest of saint are really capable of going to heaven as far as I'm concern. And such people are extremely hard to find...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I find the concept of non-existence very comforting. Honestly, if heaven is just a place where you worship God all day, I do not want to participate. With reincarnation, when does it end? I like closure, not that I don't believe in the afterlife merely because it's comforting.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#96 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
I don't think that God would prefer a Christian who is a bad person over an atheist who is a a good one Then again, I'm not God
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

I don't think that God would prefer a Christian who is a bad person over an atheist who is a a good one Then again, I'm not GodDarthkaiser

Read the story of the first man who came into heaven with Christ.

Christ accepted a fellow, converted criminal into the kingdom of Heaven while they were both being crucified.

Mind you, in Roman times crucifixion was a punishment given to the lowest scum of the Earth, for people so horrible that they couldn't even be dignified with a proper execution.

-

In the Christian faith, God accepts everybody, regardless of their past transgressions, as long as they believe in him.

That is the definition of his undying benevolence.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#98 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Posting in a themajormayor thread, with an OP that makes as little sense as ever.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I don't believe in Hell for the reason that if God did create the universe lovingly and design it perfectly for us why would he punish us for eternity? It's just a tale that the Catholic Priests used to spin to get people to pour in their life's savings so they could be "forgiven".Philokalia

Actually its what scripture teaches, Hades that, that those whom will be risen, some will go to glory, some to everlasitng shame.

Hades is actually Death, not Hell. Even if it did, it could be symbolic.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#100 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
There is no atheist after life. Athiesm is not a religion.